• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2024

liuzhou

5 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Life is once again throwing things at me.  Long story short the bone loss that was occurring in my mouth did not benefit from the painful and expensive laser surgery that I got a few years ago and I'm now having to get another tooth pulled and another bone graft.  Eventually after it heals for many months I'll be having a post put in and then eventually a tooth.  I'm so upset and frustrated I can't even express it.  This week I gotta peruse old threads and write down ideas for foods I made back then and was able to eat.  So the next several days I'm gonna eat what I won't be able to eat for a while.

Shelby, I'm sorry you are having to deal with this again.   That was what Moe had recently.  He had to have a tooth pulled and a bone graft.  In his case though the tooth that had be pulled is the tooth that actually anchors a partial bridge.

So Tuesday he goes back to our own dentist for molds to be made and hopefully they will be able to adjust  his bridge by adding the missing tooth.  That apparently is the simplest solution assuming it works.

He wasn't interested in eating much for the first two days, but after that he was able to eat. Mostly softer foods, like soup, scrambled eggs, and he wanted toast so I just cut the crusts off of them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 10

@Shelby, I'm so sorry for your news. @Ann_T, thanks for the tips. 

Is it my imagination, or is there a sudden interest in grilled sandwiches? I see them from @Shelby, @Maison Rustique, @rotuts and others, and see new inspiration for my new panini press. 🙂

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

@Shelby  Sorry you're going through this.  I had one successful graft and implant, but my second on the opposite side refused to take the bone graft.  After the third try I now just have an empty spot there.  

Pot roast with potato, onion, carrots, celery, peas and corn. Made in the IP.

pot-roast-11.jpg.c2b040d9cecdff44b4decfb3504f9931.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

SO sorry @Shelby, that sounds miserable. Besides the usual blended soups and smoothies, what do you think of RG beans, refried a bit soupy, topped with hot sauce and creme fraiche? Will cold feel good? Vichyssoise! Root beer float! Panna Cotta! @blue_dolphin popsicle hotline! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Shelby said:

Life is once again throwing things at me.  Long story short the bone loss that was occurring in my mouth did not benefit from the painful and expensive laser surgery that I got a few years ago and I'm now having to get another tooth pulled and another bone graft.  Eventually after it heals for many months I'll be having a post put in and then eventually a tooth.  I'm so upset and frustrated I can't even express it.  This week I gotta peruse old threads and write down ideas for foods I made back then and was able to eat.  So the next several days I'm gonna eat what I won't be able to eat for a while.

Oh, hon...

My mom went through a couple rounds of the same ghastly business years back. Now at 80 she has pretty severe osteoporosis, and her jaw is too fragile to support any further grafts. The dental surgeon warned her that she needs to avoid any hard/crunchy foods, because she could break her jaw by doing something as simple as biting into an apple (I peel and slice them for her when I'm there). She always loved nuts, and had a jar of them on hand, but now cashews are the only ones she feels comfortable eating because they're relatively soft.

The upside is that the second round of oral surgery has given her 20-odd years (and counting) of otherwise-normal eating. And her jaw initially was very badly deteriorated, for reasons I won't get into as it was a fairly unique case.

• Sad 6

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Shelby, sorry that you have to go thru this not very pleasant situation. Plenty of folks here will give you food and eating ideas to minimize discomfort.

Someone I know had gone thru the same thing during the pandemic. The dental office shut down in the middle of her procedure because the dentist died and a few of the assistants  got infected.

Hope everything will go smooth for you. Let us know your progress, all information are very much on-topic food/eating that would be beneficial for everyone here.

dcarch 😒

• Thanks 1

@Shelby - Echo'ing what others have already shared; it's a really shitty situation when something we take for granted (like our teeth/mouth) goes awry; especially for us folk who live to eat (not the other way around - mongrels!)

My mom has gone through the same thing, she has Sjogrens so that contributes to it, but I know how upsetting and frustrating it can be when major mouth issues occur. 

Enjoy as much as you can pre-surgery, have a good plan (which clearly you are crafting) for what to eat post-op and then start to look forward to what you missed out most during said recovery.

I would say make as many soups as you can and freeze them, variety is amazing and the form will not impact the traditional enjoyment (vs. say, putting a steak into a blender....!)

Hang in there!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Chicken, black bolete, garlic, 美人椒 (měi rén jiāo, beautiful people chilli), ginger, Shaoxing wine and soy sauce. Stir fried South African ice plant with garlic. Rice.

IMG_20240325_202222_edit_147946819793049.thumb.jpg.c474d5ee120540fc416e24a753c233e7.jpg

IMG_20240324_161511_edit_72643782561310.thumb.jpg.670df0f5a75b645ff9a98bf65d7d0ced.jpg

'Beautiful people chilli - 美人椒'

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 9

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

@Shelby I am so sorry for your dental woes.  That sounds so frustrating.  I hope the next round of treatments is successful.

Miso salmon ramen soup with oyster mushrooms and spinach

misosalmonramenbowl.thumb.jpg.5c6a9b6a4e6c1102b3759db85cb44aea.jpg

• Like 12
  • Delicious 4

Thank you so much to each of you.  I can't decide if I'm dreading it more this time because I know what's coming or what.  I'm definitely taking this week to prep.  I didn't do much of that the first time and I regretted it.  Going back through the dinner thread during the time period of the last surgery it seems like I mostly made the same foods as I always do but added in something that I could eat.  I'm going to make something like a lasagna to have for the first day so Ronnie has something and I don't have to cook because I won't feel like it.  I mostly survived on wine I think LOL. 

Ronnie bought some on sale Boar's Head mortadella the other day.  No pistachios, just black pepper corns.  I didn't want it to go to waste so google to the rescue.  Anthony Bourdain's Mortadella Sandwich --I browned the meat like the recipes says but did the rest on the panini maker.  And I added some decent sliced cherry tomatoes.  

thumbnail_IMG_5937.jpg.62767596d021aa197049ab4950381314.jpg

For dessert Mae Dawson's Hoosier Sugar Cream Pie  a recipe I ran across that @Ann_T posted back in 2019.

thumbnail_IMG_5938.jpg.e8a975036d5af888fae8ec881d1a2b44.jpg

• Like 15

Our alliterative dinner.  Penne pasta, peas, pancetta, parmesan.  

ppp.jpg

Edited by gulfporter (log)
  • Like 9
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, TicTac said:

I would say make as many soups as you can and freeze them, variety is amazing and the form will not impact the traditional enjoyment (vs. say, putting a steak into a blender....!)

Hang in there!

@Shelby send Ronnie fishing and you can use your Bass-o-Matic!

• Like 3
  • Haha 7

Looking back since St. Patrick's day, it looks like we have been eating a lot of chicken.  Both of these two were requested by Charlie. The first one is Cornish Hens baked in the oven and served with a honey, orange teriyaki style sauce.  

The other one is Chicken Breast Martini style... or at least it was when I started making it a couple of decades ago but I have changed it enough that a purist would probably object to my still calling it that.  I coat it with grated Romano cheese and add in some panko breadcrumbs and serve it with pasta and Alfredo sauce. The original recipe is posted on my blog.

IMG_1524.jpg

IMG_1527.jpg

• Like 9
  • Delicious 2

@Shelby: Sorry to hear you'll have to go thru' this second surgery. Hopefully, it will be successful, and you'll be very prepared mentally and food-wise.

When my grandson had his jaw broken by a thief swinging a heavy bag of electronics at his head while working as a security guard at a Walmart, we put a lot of food thru' the blender for him, even turkey supper as it was Thanksgiving! What he enjoyed most was congee. I made a lot with homemade meat stock, meat diced fine, etc. Maybe you can do that for a couple of meals.

For us these last couple of days:

Beef Tenderloin Stroganoff and Pappardelle

BeefStrognoff4030.jpg.d66a37384b3a3d0a8eaa10f3f18116c0.jpg

Breaded pickerel fillets, rice, broccoli, and chopped salad

Pickerel4050.jpg.b1b11a4abc9630c052881690428c1022.jpg

• Like 10
  • Delicious 3

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Picked up more halibut this morning before going to work. First week back in season so it is on sale until Thursday.
When I'm sure the price will jump.
GrilledHalibutwithwarmgrilledvegetablesMarch25th20241.thumb.jpg.e44e00b13fe935a68faf9fee1e3f7de2.jpg
Grilled green, red and yellow peppers, eggplant, zucchini, and red onions and
drizzled with a vinaigrette and served warm along side the halibut.

The halibut was grilled on a cast iron grill pan and finished in the oven.
  • Like 11
  • Delicious 3

Pizza & movie night, “in-laws edition”. It’s not that easy to find a movie they haven’t seen and - for some odd reason - is not animated. So, the “real life” version of The Lion King, preceded & accompanied by:

Salami & mushroom …

IMG_2842.thumb.jpeg.20fa7b2228a982af87abd9ce09a14313.jpeg

Rohesser & artichokes …

IMG_2843.thumb.jpeg.14f04eb2662b7ddb8367e0d9f73a85e1.jpeg

Capers, olives & anchovies …

IMG_2846.thumb.jpeg.f5db9d7df4d192e85e2183ca698db692.jpeg

We had to choose the Spanish version, with subtitles for me (and little one, even though we are not allowed to tell that to the in-laws) …

IMG_2849.thumb.jpeg.530703ecd5c7f883f28948555e391af4.jpeg

No complaints (on the pizzas, mind you 🤗)!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 3
  • Haha 3