• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2024

liuzhou

Just back from a month-long road trip to the west coast. I had planned to make palak paneer for our hosts but it didn't happen. So I made an empty fridge variation with shrimp and feta cheese, topped with fried ginger matchsticks. Turmeric rice to go with.

Palak_shrimp_2024-01.thumb.jpg.de129fb6cfa7119a169a69cc0f775fea.jpg

• Like 15

Pasta Salad - unlimited number of recipes available. This one lets you sauté onions, red pepper, carrots, peas and corn before briefly cooking them in vegetable broth so that they start to be softer but still have some bite. Mix with pasta and the sauce made from mayonnaise, sour cream, cornichons , mustard, white wine vinegar, paprika and just a pinch of curry powder.

IMG_8809.thumb.jpeg.2e2f1440fd843e5e2293cafdf3b91e34.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Delicious 1

Hi everyone… new to this forum and just finding my way around. I very much admire the ambience with which people treat each other, gained from long time posting here I understand. 
I usually cook dinner for my husband and I from scratch although sometimes I will add a shopped short cut and sometimes we get take out. 
Tonight’s dinner was a simple spaghetti bolognaise with fresh grated Parmesan. 
5A72F1C2-DF49-43EC-85A2-05835ACD2A19.jpeg.08900ee909a28917a4e784333c2866ae.jpeg

• Like 20
  • Delicious 1

On 1/15/2024 at 5:45 PM, Smithy said:

Please tell more about this dish. Your food ALWAYS looks wonderful, but this looks like exactly what I need to be cooking in the next day or two. 

It's Melissa Clark's mushrooms bourguignon.  Recipe here: mushroom bourguignon

I used white wine instead of red, mushroom broth for the liquid, and skipped the crispy mushroom garnish because I was doing too many other things at the end.  I did put oyster mushrooms in the stew though.

Last night, mutter paneer, and a little bit of chicken curry.  Basmati rice to soak up the sauce

mutterpaneer.thumb.jpg.2670d0cf949201c31ee895bc992b2ac9.jpg

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2
  • Delicious 2

2 hours ago, AlaMoi said:

Norm -

how did you do the Cornish hen?

I've got two in the freezer - working on 'scrumptious' . . .

This is the recipe I used today.  I lost the original recipe years ago and reconstructed it from what I could remember and with a few adjustments along the way.  I've used it this way for a long time and everyone likes it.

HONEY LACQUERED GAME HENS II

2 game hens

1/4 C. triple sec

1 C. orange juice

1/3 C. soy sauce

3 inch strip orange zest

1/3 C. honey

1/2 tsp salt

1/4 C. dry vermouth

1/8 tsp red pepper flakes

1/4 C. sesame oil

1/2 inch thin slice of ginger

1/4 tsp. sesame salt

1 garlic clove, split and peeled

2 tsp. cornstarch dissolved in water to make a paste

3 green onions  

Mix all ingredients except cornstarch and hens and bring to a boil. Simmer 5-10 minutes,  add cornstarch and water, boil until thickened.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Place birds in shallow bakingpan, bake 1 hour or according to package directions, basting hens every 15 minutes. Tent with foil if browning too much.    Pour some more sauce over birds, serve rest on the side. Garnish with orange peel.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

An evening of firsts.

1. First meal cooked in new apartment.

2. First meal cooked anywhere in a year. Since I got sick and broke my back, I've been relying on delivery meals. Although I was happy with most of them and found things I'd never had before, I was aching to get back to the stove.

3. I set out to make my usual 'rou jia mo' but quickly realized I didn't have the large green chilli peppers I use for them. I had everything else. All I had in the vegetable drawer was okra, so I used it, livened it up with fresh red 'facing heaven' chillies, garlic, garlic chives and coriander / cilantro, Shaoxing wine and a splash of soy sauce. Thinly sliced beef tenderloin made up the protein. Slapped into the appropriate bread and it's done. I made and ate three.

I think I invented a keeper!

IMG_20240118_190323.thumb.jpg.61c4bb1319e0bc1da93b32b544b197e7.jpg

IMG_20240118_190527.thumb.jpg.c49ac5641e37830213c90d1558f7a3e1.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 16
  • Delicious 4

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

2 hours ago, liuzhou said:

An evening of firsts.

1. First meal cooked in new apartment.

2. First meal cooked anywhere in a year. Since I got sick and broke my back, I've been relying on delivery meals. Although I was happy with most of them and found things I'd never had before I was aching to get back to the stove.

3. I set out to make my usual 'rou jia mo' but quickly realized I didn't have the large green chilli peppers I use for them. I had everything else. All I had in the vegetable drawer was okra, so I used it, livened it up with fresh red 'facing heaven chillies, garlic, garlic chives and coriander / cilantro, Shaoxing wine and a splash of soy sauce. Thinly sliced beef tenderloin made up the protein. Lapped into the appropriate bread and it's done. I made and ate three.

I think I invented a keeper!

IMG_20240118_190323.thumb.jpg.61c4bb1319e0bc1da93b32b544b197e7.jpg

IMG_20240118_190527.thumb.jpg.c49ac5641e37830213c90d1558f7a3e1.jpg

So glad to see you back in the kitchen again!!!  Hopefully to stay this time!

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, KennethT said:

So glad to see you back in the kitchen again!!!  Hopefully to stay this time!

I fully intend to! We'll see how it goes. Thanks.

IMG_20240118_194931.thumb.jpg.66b5943c36e477f86140dd8de8208ed3.jpg

New kitchen. Small, like most Chinese kitchens, but more than usually has lots of storage space.

• Like 11

Another Sheet Pan Dinner.  Butternut squash and hot Italian Sausage.  EZ PZ.  I served over a bed of arugula.  

sq1.jpg

• Like 14
  • Delicious 1

6 hours ago, liuzhou said:

New kitchen. Small, like most Chinese kitchens, but more than usually has lots of storage space.

That is a serious exhaust hood above the stove for two burners, or is that also a microwave inside there? It that also an exhaust fan on the window wall?

Looks like a very functional and bright kitchen. I assume the refrigerator is behind you where the picture was taken.

dcarch

• Like 2

7 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Looks very nice and serviceable. Great to have big windows over the sink and counter. Just curious, it seems to me that your last move wasn't very long ago, but my sense of time is getting less reliable. And I've been living in the same house since 1986, so moving is something I barely remember how to do. Why did you move again? And so happy you are back to cooking!

• Like 1

This is all I have to offer tonight..  If I was to ask, would you like dinner? and they said, what are the choices? The answer would be.. Yes or Fckng No.😉

IMG_20240118_194140.thumb.jpg.c508521050b8347ec3b6b1401b46fab7.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 13

I got a large pork shoulder with making carnitas in mind but Charlie wanted it cut up for spicy pork bulgogi so that is what I did. I don't know why it turned out so dark. It should have been red but it wasn't burnt.  It tasted like it should.  Maybe it was the cast iron grill that is the cause. It's going to take a long time to get it cleaned up. Next time I'll use the wok. This is about a third of the whole.  The rest is portioned out and in the freezer.

IMG_1397.jpg

IMG_1399.jpg

• Like 18

14 hours ago, liuzhou said:

How many flights up is your new kitchen?

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Dinner was beef stir fry with snow peas and silver beet from the garden. Served with rice noodles. I made this Thai style with lemon grass and a little coconut milk.
2BCE3492-12F7-48A3-A065-D7EF03500A95.jpeg.b05e142c5f0dafd6b0947822814da173.jpeg

• Like 13
  • Delicious 4

2nd home cooked meal of the Renaissance.

Chicken stir fried with fermented black beans, garlic, 'facing heaven' red chilli, garlic chives, coriander leaf/cilantro, Shaoxing wine and soy sauce

Topped with okra Chinese style as described here, but without the dressing. Served with couscous as I couldn't find the cable for the rice cooker. Damned boxes!

IMG_20240119_193800.thumb.jpg.e486cc0ed0bbddf16e6c987e5110d17d.jpg

• Like 13
  • Delicious 1

Last night - local halibut with lime ginger beurre blanc, bok choy, new potatoes. Served with a bottle of Sancerre. 

Local halibut with lime ginger beurre blanc, bok choy, new potatoes

A few nights ago, carbonnade de boeuf a la flamande (recipe from Anne Willan, using chuck and Mammoth double nut brown). It is served with "croûtes", aka slices of rustic bread covered with Dijon mustard, placed on top of the stew and broiled for a few minutes. It's a dish that is perfect for the "cold" San Diego weather! :)

Carbonnade flamande

Carbonnade flamande

• Like 18
  • Thanks 2
  • Delicious 3

IMG_1372.thumb.jpeg.e2014db6646ec5341980e89d3a130376.jpeg

A noodle/ramen bowl. Shrimp stock and dashi miso for the broth.   Barely poached scallops and shrimp on top.

Last night, took a friend to Cafe Katja...

IMG_1373.thumb.jpeg.9531d39f7b5527fd72e0f301ac923776.jpeg

Krainerwurst.  With some greens cause I'm healthy (normally, the krainer comes with quark dumplings).

• Like 15
  • Delicious 4

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Easy but good dinner: rockfish and smoked salmon salad on toasted bagel. Dressing was mayo, brown mustard, horseradish, and diced Tony Packo's Sweet Hots (pickles).

We brought back the canned fish from our trip to Alaska last year. The rockfish was packed with sumac and dill, both were quite delicious as is.

IMG_7516.thumb.jpg.e1e860b0b6b80803e0669455021413c8.jpg

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2