• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2023

liuzhou

@gfweb 

out home gas stove 

purchased second hand im sure 

a beauty of the late 40's  

had pilot lights .

I remember the calisthenics of relighting that pilot light

made for a tasty kitchen , even in the Bay Area 

My father had it worked on , and the oven temps reflected the knob setting

and some other stuff Ive forgotten about 

I thought of transporting it here , yes I did .

three are pictures of this stove way back when in another thread that escapes me now

In N.Egland.

then I remembered the pilot lights 

and N.E. summers w/o AC.

• Like 5

@Kim ShookGood to see you back posting your meals, and having your appetite back.

It's been a flurry of activity in the kitchen the last few days. After the Char Siu Bao session, I was getting ready for my annual but late joongzi session with my cousin. June 22 was the Dragon Boat Festival when joongzi is usually made, but that's busy gardening time.
Made some buttermilk scones to have on hand for breakfast and snacking, with the clotted cream I made, and rhubarb jelly.
First feed was with clam chowder

ButtermilkScones1865.jpg.9b3a872c16b63fabf233be180a8c322d.jpgClamChowderBiscuit1868.jpg.2149af17c5b49e78e30b41069f0c3402.jpg

I soaked, washed, drained and kept moist about 160 bamboo leaves! I use 3 leaves for every packet. My cousin Leslie, who is French Canadian, came and learned to make these about 6 years ago. She brings all her own leaves and ingredients. Being a once-a-year activity, she still has a difficult time wrapping and tying the packets. The other visitor, Iris, is a former student of mine from China. She's like an adopted daughter, and it was her birthday yesterday! So she got to celebrate it with her Canadian parents:-)

I boiled the first batch of 18 for 2.5 hours, so we were able to have some for supper, along with kohlrabi shitaki mushroom and tofu soup.

Preppedbambooleaves1857.jpg.a09e39522f56fecb128315b4be9c4eec.jpg1stbatchcookedjoongzi1878.jpg.c3c85391f28be718ddb9c0ca57fde919.jpg

The worker bees and the final product:

IrisLeslie1873.jpg.984f508dcb115e6bca0e8d65eaba66a0.jpg     Joong889.jpg.9d44fb059567993ae587c0c35a6b78fb.jpg

Dessert was a plenty!

ApplePie1887.jpg.95412106faf99e11e1e967e76d7113c9.jpg     eggtarts1886.jpg.89a6ad065dfc1f1123f010ac5b56b415.jpg

And a strawberry cake by Leslie plus a "Tequila cake" made by Iris. My cousin Ken and I, along with a Scotsman and a French Canadian!

Suppertable21884.jpg.807f775f837e4d731de06b0665429052.jpg

Today, I will have 50 more packets to boil! All will go into the freezer. A couple of dozen, once frozen, will fly with another cousin on Tuesday to my 97 year old sister and the family in Burnaby, Another dozen will go to Nfld end of the month with our son after he spends time with us.

The rest...some gifts to local friends, and of course for us to enjoy over the winter!

• Like 14
  • Thanks 3
  • Delicious 5

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

@gfweb 

out home gas stove 

purchased second hand im sure 

a beauty of the late 40's  

had pilot lights .

I remember the calisthenics of relighting that pilot light

made for a tasty kitchen , even in the Bay Area 

My father had it worked on , and the oven temps reflected the knob setting

and some other stuff Ive forgotten about 

I thought of transporting it here , yes I did .

three are pictures of this stove way back when in another thread that escapes me now

In N.Egland.

then I remembered the pilot lights 

and N.E. summers w/o AC.

Yes indeed. That old Vulcan made for a warm kitchen.  Don't miss it a bit!

• Like 2

I can't compare to @Dejah's colossal effort but I made Char Siu Bao for lunch and to snack on today.

20230820_114325.thumb.jpg.5ea261381a9dd597202e1c04c6aaf9e0.jpg

Carlos got called away on a job so they will be our dinner with watermelon and a big green salad.

20230820_122009.thumb.jpg.ee3ab44483591ba7434cdea4c942267c.jpg

I had to try just one to make sure that they were decent to serve. It passed with no problems.

• Like 13
  • Delicious 4

@TropicalseniorThose Char Siu Baos look amazing. I can make steamed baos, but baked - that is something I need to work on.
@Kim Shook I noticed what you said about "sweetness" in the Hot and Sour soup at your latest restaurant dine-in. It's something I've encountered at many Chinese buffets and restaurant in our travels through Canada and USA. Why? It's Hot and SOUR, not Hot and Sweet. And sometimes it's so thick with cornstarch.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Using up some of the remaining ingredients from making joongzi: Shitaki mushrooms, lap cheung, salted pork, added bell peppers, green onion, beansprouts: Chow Mein!

ChowMein1894.jpg.8e1a041df0ac9be644718a2f5f2668b8.jpg

• Like 11
  • Delicious 1

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

5 hours ago, MetsFan5 said:

Wow! The amazing meals posted just in this page alone make me realize that while I live close to some of the “best restaurants” and all types of cuisines, I’d rather dine as a guest in all your homes! 

That'd be a heck of a road trip...

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

全家福铁板炒饭 + 加价虾仁 (quán jiā fú tiě bǎn chǎo fàn + jiā jià xiā rén), Family Portrait Lucky Seafood Iron Plate Fried Rice plus Extra Value Shrimp. The portrait reference signifies that it contains all the seafood family. Not quite all but there were shrimp, mussels, squid and scallops. I chose to add the extra shrimp to the order.

.thumb.jpg.9c95cf8e96b46875f6c80b0be7d037e8.jpg

This came from one of my nearest restaurants, 计大厨海鲜炒饭 (jì dà chú hǎi xiān chǎo fàn), Chef Ji's Seafood Fried Rice. I have no idea who Chef Ji is but guess that he might own the restaurant. Or he may be fictional. Whichever, the fried rice is no longer his. It's mine.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 8
  • Delicious 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

I roasted (on the közmatik) the fresh Hatch chilies from Trader Joe's

IMG_0162.thumb.jpeg.af04ffe22365303fd87cc3bf18f9489f.jpeg

Of course, it being Sunday (and Saturday was a late night), the közmatik is unceremoniously being used upside down.  The chilies are pictured after the first turn; I think they took around 15 minutes to get nice and blistered all over, and then the skins slip off easily, after they steam in a covered bowl for another 10 - 15 minutes.

I used them in what I'm sure would be everyone's favorite dish, to accompany pork chops:

IMG_0166.thumb.jpeg.b4e22f38152ae815e8ff4e1e274232aa.jpeg

A sauté of fresh corn, sweet onion, GREEN BELL PEPPERS, Hatch chiles, assorted herbs.  Pork was pan-roasted and sliced - it's served atop a honey/mustard pan sauce.  White Marcella beans on the side.

Had I had all the ingredients on hand for New Mexican style Calabacitas, I would've made that instead. Perhaps next time.

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 12
  • Haha 3

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Cooked on the Ninja Speedi (air fryer setting) yesterday  Crazy good.

HAWAIIAN HAM SHISH KABOB RECIPE

SERVINGS 10 skewers
AUTHOR Krissy Allori

(recipe from SelfProclaimedFoodie.com)

INGREDIENTS 

▢2/3 cup unsweetened pineapple juice
▢1/2 cup ketchup
▢4 tablespoons soy sauce
▢2 garlic cloves minced
▢2 tablespoons brown sugar
▢1 whole ham steak
▢1 red onion
▢1 orange or yellow pepper
▢8 ounces mushrooms
▢1/2 fresh pineapple peeled with core removed
INSTRUCTIONS 

To assemble the skewers, cut the ham, onion, pepper, mushrooms and fresh pineapple into 1” cubes and thread onto metal or wood skewer sticks, alternating ingredients. 
Hawaiian Ham Skewers, made with a pineapple grilling sauce, ham steak, and fresh vegetables, are not only insanely delicious but are super easy to make. 
To make the grilling sauce, combine the pineapple juice, ketchup, soy sauce, garlic cloves and brown sugar in small sauce pan. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer for at least 10 minutes. Allow to cool before use.
Hawaiian Ham Skewers, made with a pineapple grilling sauce, ham steak, and fresh vegetables, are not only insanely delicious but are super easy to make. 
Cover skewers with grilling sauce. This can be done ahead of time and then stored in the refrigerator, if needed.
To cook skewers, heat grill to medium-high and sear each side for about 5 minutes until all ingredients have been heated through and have nice sear marks.

• Like 6
  • Delicious 2

Very hot today, so DW requested a cold dinner. I was on the way to get some Mett when she called me and ruled out that option 🙄 What‘s wrong with raw pork, when it’s 34 oC outside ?!

So salad, vaguely „niçoise-ish“: potatoes, green beans, black olives, egg, tomato, tuna, some smoked salmon (lucky refrigerator find), shaved Parmigiano …

IMG_0553.thumb.jpeg.281be95ee1d5d7e55d827bfeb670cb99.jpeg

Served with olive oil & salt for DW and anchovy/garlic dressing for me. Little one got „his version“, omitting green beans, olives, egg and tuna, but chopping two octopus arms in …

IMG_0554.thumb.jpeg.4288cbb30a7c3d789b70630408a43922.jpeg

No complaints 🤗

• Like 14
  • Delicious 1

@Norm Matthews – what is the topping on your corn pudding?

@OlyveOyl – your quiche is absolutely gorgeous.  I really need to make one soon!

@Shelby – your tomato panini are making me SO hungry.  I am NOT at all interested in what I was planning for dinner tonight.

@Dejah – your clam chowder looks amazing.  Would you share the recipe?

@Tropicalsenior – your bao are lovely.  So perfect!

@lindag – those kebabs sound great.  I’ve copied the recipe and will try it as soon as I can!

A recent freezer dinner:

IMG_4105.thumb.jpg.3b2fe5999486a5c1290ead49effd8b79.jpg

Chicken and chive mandu and pork bao. 

Night before last Mr. Kim came home from a BBQ judging craving Mexican.  We went to a local favorite.  Mr. Kim’s steak burrito grande:

IMG_4110.jpg.5adc3470ac477bb48a4b1a9d907a6dd0.jpg

I had the pastor tacos:

IMG_4111.jpg.4f083a446d02a59ce6629df9fb462ee7.jpg

Jessica’s shrimp and mushroom quesadilla:

IMG_4112.jpg.e9338535b42eea04f3f0d08bc069629a.jpg

Everything was delicious, as always. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 4

Decided to start cooking through a list of saved recipes. This one is a keeper. 

Pork milanese, lemon parm basmati rice, arugula salad with a creamy lemon vinaigrette.

IMG_4341.jpeg

• Like 15
  • Delicious 1

Tomatoes with,sorrel sauce.

Chitarra pasta with sautéed yellow zucchini, red pepper, shallots and garlic; two tablespoons of TJ’s lemon pesto  sauce was added along with a little pasta water, shredded basil.  Thumbs up on the Lemon pesto sauce, pasta had some freshly grated Parmesan added at table.

Blackberry, red currant, hazelnut flour cake with a scoop of raspberry ice cream on the side.

IMG_4400.jpeg

IMG_4408.jpeg

IMG_4413.jpeg

Edited by OlyveOyl (log)
  • Like 13
  • Delicious 1

44 minutes ago, OlyveOyl said:

Tomatoes with,sorrel sauce.

Chitarra pasta with sautéed yellow zucchini, red pepper, shallots and garlic; two tablespoons of TJ’s lemon pesto  sauce was added along with a little pasta water, shredded basil.  Thumbs up on the Lemon pesto sauce, pasta had some freshly grated Parmesan added at table.

Blackberry, red currant, hazelnut flour cake with a scoop of raspberry ice cream on the side.

3 questions on your fabulous meals:

- the sorrel sauce cream element?

- The TJ lemon pesto I have never head of - is tht lemon elemend juice or zest and are herbs involved?

- You show a dessert with each lovely meal. Do you reguarly do that and do you delay it at all afterthe main? Nosy I know but cuisine habits fascinate me :)

• Like 1

The sorrel sauce came from the NYT, a simple combination of mayo, sour cream and yogurt along with a little tarragon.  A generous amount of sorrel is added and then processed.

As for the Lemon Pesto sauce from TJ, a relatively new product, the taste is definitely lemony , I think there is some cheese in it as well, but I’ll need a magnifier to determine what exactly else it contains. I’ll give a closer look tomorrow.

Dessert…all my cakes are 6”, so the slices are actually very small.  I will get a minimum of 6 slices from the cake.  It’s generally served after I’ve done a little clean up, we are not in between meal snackers but usually have our dessert after a meal 😁. I’m not adverse to having a slice for breakfast though!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, weinoo said:

Had I had all the ingredients on hand for New Mexican style Calabacitas, I would've made that instead. Perhaps next time.

The best Calabacitas I ever had was a few years ago at a little place called The Velvet Elvis in Patagonia, Arizona. It was their lunch/dinner special one day and it was a revelation. It's such a humble dish and I almost passed on it, but it was amazing. The veggies were perfect, the sauce was seasoned and flavoured with precision and the rice was perfect. It was one of the best meals I had in a while. So surprising.

Do you make it often? 

I managed to find the photo! 

IMG_20161104_123604_458.thumb.jpg.0af485afa52604b4b7f7b43f33a6043b.jpg

• Like 10
  • Delicious 1

Woke up with a hankering for Mexican flavours. Since we have such great local corn these days, my mind went to Poblano Corn Chowder, which I've made a few times. Of course for the first time since they opened four years ago, our local grocery had no poblanos. On-the-spot improvisation led me to a green bell pepper (sorry for those of you averse) a jalapéno and a couple of tins of green chiles. Charred the fresh peppers and the onions. Not the prettiest soup but we enjoyed it. Garnishedsoup.thumb.jpeg.d8c8bd6c9f674ac38421413ab0e6a7f5.jpeg with cubed avacado tossed with lime juice and tajin and some sour cream.

• Like 12
  • Delicious 1