• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2022

liuzhou

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

@Senior Sea Kayaker 

that Lasagna looks terrific !

I see you have a deep dish for that 

do you recall where you got it.

deep lasagna pens , metal or glass  

( I like glass for the visuals ) )

ae not that easy to come by 

when they should be standard 

ir the depth has to be significant 

then you can make other sizes w that depth.

Thanks.

It's part of an Anchor Hocking Food Storage set. I like using it for lasagna as it allows me to have four layers of filling.

Edited by Senior Sea Kayaker (log)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

'A drink to the livin', a toast to the dead' Gordon Lightfoot

7 hours ago, rotuts said:

@Marlene 

looks fantastic !

Id like to study your PS Rx , 

if you might pas it along.

I'm thinkin potato salad recipe?  lol.  I've put it into Recipe Gullet :)

• Like 1

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

13 minutes ago, Senior Sea Kayaker said:

Thanks.

It's part of an Anchor Hocking Food Storage set. I like using it for lasagna as it allows me to have four layers of filling.

oh that's a good idea and a good size for  two people as well .  I have a pyrex one that is the same so must try that, thanks!

• Like 1

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Two recent dinners:

Taquitos (from frozen) with mashed together "Spanish" rice - rice, diced tomatoes, chili, garlic and onion powders, salt pepper and some jarred salsa.

taquitos.jpg.903ae62b20d144223ae5e70f786d6057.jpg

Tri-tip, cooked SV then seared, served with steamed Brussels sprouts and snap peas in butter:

tri-tip-brus.jpg.0e5bdf822b8d29dedf31f9b17855e668.jpg

• Like 11
  • Delicious 1

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

23 hours ago, lindag said:

I have this pan for a small lasagna.

Clickety (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

The same dimensions as my glass pan.

Very handy for making a smaller lasagna or pate chinois (French Canadian version of cottage or shepherd's pie).

'A drink to the livin', a toast to the dead' Gordon Lightfoot

A few days ago @Shelby and some others were discussing a baked potato recipe. It was British, European, Fondant, and maybe had other nomes too.   At almost the same time someone else at another site mentioned Greek style roasted potatoes. I collected three recipes and want to try them soon.  Last night Charlie said he was craving a dish he made at home when he was living in Seattle and wondered if I would make it. It was chicken thighs baked with Cream of Mushroom soup and eaten over rice.  i decided I'd try a small sample of one of the potato recipes to go with it.  I did the Greek style one.  Recipe is at my blog.  The chicken thighs were skin on, bone in and baked according to a dump recipe I found. It used a can of mushroom soup, two cups of sour cream, a tablespoon of lemon juice and a packet of onion soup powder.  Baked @ 400º until done, about an hour.  Charlie liked it said I should keep the recipe.

IMG_0310.jpg

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 9
  • Delicious 3

On 10/31/2022 at 9:01 AM, CookBot said:

How was that squash lasagna?  I keep looking at that recipe and thinking "Could those things possibly taste good together?"

But I often think that about Ottolenghi recipes, and then am shocked by how delicious they turn out.

The flavors did work together.  It was very different, but we all liked it.  We all thought it could have used a little more salt, but that was a misjudgment on my part when cooking it.  

Last night, yellowtail flounder roll-ups with leeks, spinach, and carrots in a ginger-carrot-coconut-lime broth, with cilantro and peanut garnish and rice to soak up the broth.

flounder.thumb.jpg.2c04072faed0c0f7559b0d7f6e810559.jpg

• Like 14
  • Delicious 3

2 hours ago, weinoo said:

Poulet au vinaigre

My French is sufficient to understand this. However, curiosity drove me to look it up. Surely it says something about where we are when the one and only result that was returned was a reference to a 1985 crime film called Cop Au Vin. Never mind. 

• Haha 8

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Had a bunch of bean sprouts in the fridge and found some SV pork belly and squid in the freezer - Bánh xèo night 🤗

EE1E13E4-D1AB-49F0-89E3-D121E9E6B0F1.thumb.jpeg.90a576fd7d46a70d98d202ecade84b67.jpeg

Still working on getting them crispier*, but these were already quite good …

8BE54778-2D60-4B70-83AF-0F6FA76F39BD.thumb.jpeg.0bb2550569ae894429f4a13c9462bef4.jpeg

Salad leaves not pictured, as I honestly didn’t think of them until the third bánh xèo round 🙄

—-

* I know, I know: just fry longer at lower temperature - but who has the time when the family is at the brink of starvation …

• Like 11
  • Delicious 2
  • Haha 2

52 minutes ago, Duvel said:

Bánh xèo

One of my all-time favourites. Was never successful making them at home, but had a number at a restaurant in Toronto. It’s quite terrible that you keep that family of yours on the brink of starvation. :laugh: :laugh::laugh:

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

2 hours ago, Duvel said:

Had a bunch of bean sprouts in the fridge and found some SV pork belly and squid in the freezer - Bánh xèo night 🤗

EE1E13E4-D1AB-49F0-89E3-D121E9E6B0F1.thumb.jpeg.90a576fd7d46a70d98d202ecade84b67.jpeg

Still working on getting them crispier*, but these were already quite good …

8BE54778-2D60-4B70-83AF-0F6FA76F39BD.thumb.jpeg.0bb2550569ae894429f4a13c9462bef4.jpeg

Salad leaves not pictured, as I honestly didn’t think of them until the third bánh xèo round 🙄

—-

* I know, I know: just fry longer at lower temperature - but who has the time when the family is at the brink of starvation …

Based on what I've seen in Vietnam, longer at lower temp is not the answer.  The answer is a LOT of oil and a really high temp.  I think I have a photo of them cooking them - I'll try to find them - big big flames...

• Like 2

4 hours ago, KennethT said:

Based on what I've seen in Vietnam, longer at lower temp is not the answer.  The answer is a LOT of oil and a really high temp.  I think I have a photo of them cooking them - I'll try to find them - big big flames...

These are not difficult to make at home, but I've never needed more than a tablespoon or so of oil and never created big flames.   Patience until the crepe batter sets is essential, but after that is accomplished, it goes together in under a minute.    A good dish!

• Like 1

eGullet member #80.

6 hours ago, Ann_T said:

Would you please, please share your recipe?  This is what I want cacciatore to look like but so often versions are tomato based.  

The original cacciatore recipe is from perhaps my most treasured cookbook, Romagnolis' Table.  My contribution is the mushrooms.

One of my most favored cooking vessels is a Thai stir-fry pan from Williams Sonoma.  Envision a relatively small wok.  Make sure the chicken thighs and mushroom slices are dry.  Necessary only if you value skin -- yours, not the chicken's.

Stir-fry the sliced mushrooms in olive oil and transfer to a bowl.  Over high heat add a bit more oil to the pan and brown the chicken pieces thoroughly.  Add chopped or sliced garlic and rosemary to taste.  Not to mention, salt.  Quench with white wine vinegar, and when the vinegar mostly evaporates, with wine.  I like Soave, myself.

Reduce heat, cover and braise about twenty minutes.  Transfer the chicken pieces to the bowl with the mushrooms.  Over reasonably high heat reduce the pan liquids to a syrup.  Deglaze with water and add back the mushrooms and chicken pieces to reheat.  Serve with good bread.  I think you can do that.

• Like 3

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou