• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2022

liuzhou

1 hour ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

The world is waiting...I vote for pineapple.

If for my hubby, those would be FuYu - fermented tofu. He always asks for Fuyu with chicken.
Aubergine stuffed with Moroccan-spiced ground lamb. Lovely aroma and warmth in the kitchen on a chilly evening. 

613833637_MoroccanLambandAubergine9145.jpg.d0e76c95b4b813423576ff5f5c1c26b0.jpg

1235581390_LambAubergineBite9148.jpg.0a4aac6936ec12d99e3ac2182828e6b8.jpg

• Like 8
  • Delicious 1

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

12 hours ago, Shelby said:

They get crunchy on the outside and meltingly creamy on the inside.  Ronnie and I fought over the last one. 

They sound just like (and look like) classic Fondant Potatoes, just in a different shape.  And they're making my mouth water.

At Serious Eats:

20220201-fondant-potatoes-vicky-wasik-13

• Like 1
  • Delicious 1
  • Confused 1

22 hours ago, Anna N said:

Can you say a little bit more about these, please? I must say you do an amazing job of making bits and bobs look so appetizing. 

They are just shiitake mushrooms, torn and tossed with sesame seeds, chili flakes, shallots, a little melted butter, and a splash of soy sauce, then roasted at 425 until crispy on the edges--maybe 20 minutes? Some garlic would have been good too, but I had already made a very garlicky broth for the noodles, so I left it out. 

7 hours ago, CookBot said:

Yes indeed!  Those eggs are just perfect.  And they look sort of brown on the outside -- are they tea-smoked, @liamsaunt ?

No, they are six-minute eggs (medium size), peeled and then soaked in low-sodium soy sauce for a little while before dinner.

Last night, hake roasted with bell peppers, olives, and capers, topped with a parsley vinaigrette and served with crispy mustard potatoes and garlicky spinach.

hake.thumb.jpg.5bae366fe7416ffc5400dc490969b48a.jpg

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, CookBot said:

They sound just like (and look like) classic Fondant Potatoes, just in a different shape.  And they're making my mouth water.

They are both methods of making potatoes, but I can’t see that they differ only in shape. The prep is very different. 

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

56 minutes ago, Anna N said:

They are both methods of making potatoes, but I can’t see that they differ only in shape. The prep is very different. 

Yes. Nothing like fondant potatoes. Except they are potatoes.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

22 hours ago, Dejah said:

613833637_MoroccanLambandAubergine9145.jpg.d0e76c95b4b813423576ff5f5c1c26b0.jpg

I wish I could taste this.   Makes my mouth water.

Crushed peppercorns with the mortar & pestle.

999020420_PeppercornNYStripOctober26th2022.thumb.jpg.9185dc12135d7e55b490496beca51419.jpg

Coated a 1lb 13oz NY Strip steak in black pepper and grilled it for dinner.
1588253141_PeppercornNYStripOctober26th20223.thumb.jpg.11167cd59f546ac7598490f8a907777d.jpg
Served with roasted potatoes, zucchini and sauteed mushrooms.
Almost half left. Which is good because Moe loves leftover steak. I'll probably slice it thin and make him a sandwich for breakfast.
  • Like 8
  • Delicious 6

On 10/18/2022 at 11:25 PM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Sounds delicious.  As I once explained to a military friend who complained about French fries, if it weren't for Rochambeau he'd be eating freedom fries* and saluting the Union Jack.

*Though they'd probably be misnamed freedom crisps.

But fries are "chips"?  "Crisps" are potato chips

• Like 2

@Shelby – Poor Ronnie!  Hope he was able to eat those delicious looking ravioli!  And thank you for posting the potato directions from @Mmmpomps.  I am very much in need of those.  Wow.  What size were the potatoes? 

@&roid – can you direct me to that cabbage recipe, please?  It looks amazing.

@CookBot – I can vouch for @Ann_T’s gorgonzola garlic bread.  It is excellent.

@Marlene – that lamb is gorgeous.  Mr. Kim has smoke a couple of legs in the past.  Time for him to do another.

Asking for some ideas in this post – regarding my merguez meal.  Dinner on Saturday should have been very good but wasn’t and I’m a bit mystified by it.  Mr. Kim got some merguez at a local Mediterranean market.  It wasn’t spicy, so I was really looking forward to using it. I found a sheet pan recipe at Food and Wine’s website that sounded really good. Unfortunately, it really wasn’t. And I’m not sure exactly why. On paper, it sounds right: sausage, onions, apples, olive oil, S&P, thyme, garlic, and lemon zest.  But it was flat and not terribly interesting. The onions and apples didn’t caramelize like I expected. The sausage itself tasted very good, but the rest was bland. So – any ideas?  The sheet pan prior to going in the oven (425F):

1-IMG_0908.jpg.ccd7005c5ccbd38b5005ebe6584e8588.jpg

And coming out 30 minutes later:

1-IMG_0913.jpg.97676bc77b006a0cc04560d27a25534c.jpg

I also served salad, hummus, tabbouli, and pita:

1-IMG_0909.thumb.jpg.ade08d8b82d868443402ba1b9a20a812.jpg

1-IMG_0912.jpg.8086ea248b843e8f79fdf63f29de4229.jpg

1-IMG_0910.jpg.1b5d4eac03c54407c4206222b608951a.jpg

1-IMG_0911.thumb.jpg.5ae15a29180d0c7657cafee892c909ba.jpg

The hummus, tabbouli, and pita were from 2M also.  They were what he went after – the merguez was extra!  😁

On Sunday we had a late lunch and no one was terribly hungry around supper time, so I made grilled cheese sandwiches:

1-IMG_0918.jpg.188fabc54e42880afd36368b264b6d31.jpg

On Monday, my plan for dinner was to try a new recipe.  I’ve been craving porcupine meatballs for a couple of months, but I’m not supposed to have tomato sauce because of the potassium issue.  So, I searched and found a recipe online for a brown gravy version and planned to make that tonight.  Unfortunately, I ended up being out of the house most of the day, so my thawed ground beef became hamburgers instead:

1-IMG_0922.thumb.jpg.1886cff5177b719a0618855483704cbd.jpg

Served with a salad and chips and queso.

Last night it was Popeye’s fried chicken and various sides:

1-IMG_0930.thumb.jpg.ab33cf12705ae7e68a35d863ad306a03.jpg

Biscuits, mac & cheese, fried apples, rice & beans, and slaw. 

Tonight:

1-IMG_0934.jpg.2fbb9ba398b367819c54595413a6117b.jpg

Leftovers.  A dry damn hamburger and some slaw.  I am burger challenged.  I cannot seem to make a juicy, tender burger to save my life.  I don’t pack them tightly (as a matter of fact, I have a hard time keeping them cohesive) and I fry in butter and Worcestershire, exactly how my mother made crusty, juicy burgers.  Sigh.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2

9 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

What size were the potatoes? 

I picked some smaller russets that came in the bag--probably about 4 inches long or so.  You could do it with the bigger guys, but, of course, it would take longer and I think the smaller ones work best.

• Thanks 1

I picked up some fresh Steelhead and broiled it last night with a light glaze.  Served with Calrose rice and lightly pickled cucumber.

I much prefer Steelhead over salmon but it isn't always readily available around here.

• Like 3
  • Delicious 1

I see that your local Popeye's is suffering from the same red bean shortage that has afflicted my local store.

Like so many people, Popeye's is my go-to takeout, and their red beans & rice are my #1 choice of sides.  But the last two times I've ordered, it's been 80% rice and 20% beans.  Which is a damn shame, because their RB&R is just about the equal of most Louisiana home cooks I've known.  (I subscribe to the conspiracy theory that they thicken them with roux made from the chicken drippings.)

12 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

Last night it was Popeye’s fried chicken and various sides:

1-IMG_0930.thumb.jpg.ab33cf12705ae7e68a35d863ad306a03.jpg

Biscuits, mac & cheese, fried apples, rice & beans, and slaw. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, CookBot said:

I see that your local Popeye's is suffering from the same red bean shortage that has afflicted my local store.

Like so many people, Popeye's is my go-to takeout, and their red beans & rice are my #1 choice of sides.  But the last two times I've ordered, it's been 80% rice and 20% beans.  Which is a damn shame, because their RB&R is just about the equal of most Louisiana home cooks I've known.  (I subscribe to the conspiracy theory that they thicken them with roux made from the chicken drippings.)

Not chicken drippings... pork fat.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, CookBot said:

That's entirely possible! 

A long time ago, I saw an interview with Popeye's CEO - there was a recent trans-fat ban in NYC and he was being interviewed to ask how the ban would affect them.  He answered simply "it doesn't - we've never used trans-fats, we've always fried our chicken in lard"... which is one of the reasons why it is so tasty!!!!

• Like 3