• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2022

liuzhou

25 minutes ago, Raamo said:

It's already ground duck - I get it from online: Maple Leaf Farms Store

Ah. I was not aware that it was available. Thank you.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Autumn at the Bergstrasse

2B267892-E905-4D4D-856B-3F3DDD75A3E5.thumb.jpeg.f315d621f46af50160241a7af40d93ff.jpeg

Combining the necessary with the useful: a practice run for second Christmas day lunch while my in-laws are staying here.

Goose legs, cooked SV 18 h@70 oC, then crisped at 250 oC in the oven. Sauce made from the bag juices and Gänseklein (intestines, necks and other bits and pieces from the goose, available in 750g packs here locally). Red cabbage, with apples & raisins. Potato Knödel

31D5775B-8748-4E51-9F0A-D144295722DF.thumb.jpeg.efcda60d252c2c17551f66e00a4cad07.jpeg

Enjoyed with a Triple Hop (while the others had a Rioja or a glass of water, respectively).

6A1AC626-FCDC-498B-9494-172F9345CDA3.thumb.jpeg.94d9a2a8fe9f5f1ed2d010dbbdf1a6a0.jpeg

And for digestif: Kümmel (caraway schnapps) …

963FAEB3-868C-46A6-9999-B1DC1DD0E308.thumb.jpeg.3b39ce4998d135fd98924e183d1071b1.jpeg

No complaints.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2
  • Delicious 3

2 hours ago, CookBot said:

I don't recall every seeing anyone melt cheese onto a half-shell oyster before.  I can't quite imagine those two textures marrying well together, but I'm more than up for giving it a try!

It's very common here, despite my strenuous efforts to get the practice outlawed. Utter waste of oysters.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

@Duvel 

wow

''   Gänseklein (intestines, necks and other bits and pieces from the goose, available in 750g packs here locally). ''

can't get that here , nor a goose

love the idea , of each 

eso the 750 kms.

and looks tasty.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@Duvel 

wow

''   Gänseklein (intestines, necks and other bits and pieces from the goose, available in 750g packs here locally). ''

can't get that here , nor a goose

love the idea , of each 

eso the 750 kms.

and looks tasty.

I can get a goose for around $200.  Crazy

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, CookBot said:

I don't recall every seeing anyone melt cheese onto a half-shell oyster before.  I can't quite imagine those two textures marrying well together, but I'm more than up for giving it a try!

Don't Oysters Rockefeller usually include a topping with romano cheese or some such thing? I like my oysters raw with as little fuss as possible. I've never been a fan of cheese with seafood. I don't grate hard cheese over linguini with clams. And when I make shrimp and grits I don't make cheesy grits, just plain. The only exception I make is when we eat crispy shrimp tacos at our favorite place for them. The cheese is minimal compared to the shrimp, salsa and pile of chopped lettuce so I just go with the flow. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, CookBot said:

I did it more than once, when I had access to good fresh oysters. I did it more than once because we liked it the first time! 😃

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

2 hours ago, liuzhou said:

It's very common here, despite my strenuous efforts to get the practice outlawed. Utter waste of oysters.

Depends on the cheese I suppose, but Drago's charbroiled oysters are the oyster presentation I have enjoyed above all others.

https://www.thespruceeats.com/official-dragos-charbroiled-oysters-recipe-1135643

Edited by MaryIsobel
double word (log)

Probably our final run on the smoker for a bit as the weather is calling for cooler temps with possibly snow next week, so we'll start turning our thoughts to cooking more indoors or short runs on the bbq.  Tonight featured ribs on the smoker.  Ran for 8 hours at 225, spritzed every couple of hours and sauced with my homemade bbq sauce for the final hour.  Also, baked potatoes, not pictured, but I did make a couple of extras so I can make homefries tomorrow.  We did two racks, so one for leftovers, but only one pictured here.  

ribs.jpg

ribs cut.jpg

• Like 12
  • Delicious 5

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

1 hour ago, Okanagancook said:

Oh my goodness, those look delicious.  Were the ribs St. Louis Style ribs…I.e., fairly big….8 hours cooking…they must have been.

nice board by the way…I have the same one.

ty :)   The ribs I got from Costco, and yes they are big big ribs for baby back ribs.  

• Like 2

Marlene

1 minute ago, Okanagancook said:

I buy the St Louis ribs from Costco and they are big so it was probably them.  Back ribs are much smaller.  Nice just the same.

The were labelled as  back ribs though.  Not sure I've seen any in the Costco here labelled st louis but could be just labelling 

Edited by Marlene (log)
  • Like 1

Marlene

2 hours ago, Duvel said:

They are usually hatched and then bred outdoors

Still? I know that the UK now requires all poultry to be kept indoors as a precaution against avian influenza and other infections. No such ruling from the EU?

Edited by liuzhou (log)

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

2 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Still? I know that the UK now requires all poultry to be kept indoors as a precaution against avian influenza and other infections. No such ruling from the EU?

Yes, still.

@TicTac – that fish sandwich looks fantastic. I’ve been craving fried fish for a couple of weeks.  What is that crispy looking thing just under the top of the bun?  It looks too thin to be another fish filet.

@Steve Irby – absolutely gorgeous oyster meal.  Talk to me about pecorino romano cheese on grilled oysters, please!  I am absolutely NOT an anti-cheese on fish person, but the only time I’ve had cheese (parmesan) on oysters it didn’t work at all.  It totally overwhelmed the sweetness of the oysters and added an odd saltiness to them.  Maybe they just used too much? 

We had Mr. Kim’s mom over for dinner Friday night.  The table:

1-IMG_1043.thumb.jpg.d9d12d024b5be747c09046765832b6e8.jpg 

I love setting a pretty table, but I’m pretty rusty at this multi-course entertaining business.  I really have a hard time getting into a rhythm.  And, as everyone knows, our kitchen is VERY small, so when Jessica comes in at the last minute to make her contribution and my MIL decides I’m not stirring my stir fry enough, I get a little crazed 🤪

Pre-dinner nibbles were cheese straws, corn nuts (from nuts.com – , and Smokehouse almonds. 

Boston lettuce with blood orange segments, marinated red onions, candied pecans, and a blood orange vinaigrette:

1-IMG_1045.thumb.jpg.750ed6579d9d839d13ad4d2092d1e50a.jpg

Monkfish with miso-mustard cream sauce on olive oil dressed watercress, stir fried snow peas and bean sprouts, and Jessica’s miso potatoes:

1-IMG_1047.jpg.e4d17a308338a6f7a602eb7cac5c4a34.jpg

Everything turned out pretty well.  I think that the fish was slightly over cooked.  It seemed to jump up in the last minute.  But it all tasted great.  Jessica’s potatoes were excellent:

1-IMG_1046.jpg.54e1c6f25c0bf3c0b1ad954de58b78ea.jpg

Dessert was caramel apple crème brûlée:

1-IMG_1049.jpg.320e22f22a6ac105f0f181c2ac80d6d3.jpg

The top looks burnt, but it wasn’t. 

• Like 15
  • Delicious 5

21 hours ago, Katie Meadow said:

Don't Oysters Rockefeller usually include a topping with romano cheese or some such thing? I like my oysters raw with as little fuss as possible. I've never been a fan of cheese with seafood. I don't grate hard cheese over linguini with clams. And when I make shrimp and grits I don't make cheesy grits, just plain. 

19 hours ago, MaryIsobel said:

Depends on the cheese I suppose, but Drago's charbroiled oysters are the oyster presentation I have enjoyed above all others.

https://www.thespruceeats.com/official-dragos-charbroiled-oysters-recipe-1135643

God help us. I will eat raw oysters with the best of them, but a Drago’s chargrilled is a thing of beauty. I have been known to eat a dozen for an entree, another dozen for a main, and split a dozen fo dessert.

• Like 6

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com