• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2022

liuzhou

6 hours ago, Duvel said:

That alone is not sufficient information to assess the danger you are in: was it more of a Mars bar or rather a piece of sashimi ?

The leftover was the last of my chicken cacciatore.  I found it in the anova.

• Sad 4

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

5 hours ago, Anna N said:

Two mai tais and some peanuts? Or the three hotdogs from the back of the fridge?

I tried yesterday to throw out the last two hotdogs but I couldn't get to them.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Ann_T said:

@Duvel great looking crust. 

@Steve Irby, love the way you served your fish cake.  Great photo.

595485196_PorkChiliVerdeNovember13th2022.thumb.jpg.14e736dcb2ab4bb1483fe0c01e2779f8.jpg
Last night's dinner. Pork Chili Verde. Served over cheese filled tortillas.
Made the chili before leaving for work yesterday morning.
Matt cooked the black beans for me in the Breville PC.
So dinner didn't take long to put together after I got home from work. Just had to make the dough for the flour tortillas and let it rest for 30 minutes, and make the salsa and the guacamole.

That looks wonderful. This part brought me up short:

So dinner didn't take long to put together after I got home from work. Just had to make the dough for the flour tortillas and let it rest for 30 minutes, and make the salsa and the guacamole.

That right there would put dinner at our house back at least 2 hours! 😅

• Haha 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

On 11/12/2022 at 9:59 AM, weinoo said:

image.thumb.jpeg.49f1604e7496b1bc514d5d747fa4e7e4.jpeg

Almost vegan mushroom barley soup.  Next time, rice instead of barley; I barely like barley and should know better.

Consider farro.

12 hours ago, Anna N said:

Two mai tais and some peanuts? Or the three hotdogs from the back of the fridge?

I apprehended the offending charcuterie and executed the happy dispatch.  I have my standards.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I have my standards.

I was positive you did. I was equally positive that if I didn’t like those standards, you had others to offer.

• Haha 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

30 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Pasty, green salad.

Hmmm. If you mean a pasty, green, salad please pass the Gravol.  Ifq on the other hand you mean a pasty, accompanied by a green salad, pass the plate. 😂

• Haha 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

12 hours ago, Smithy said:

That right there would put dinner at our house back at least 2 hours! 😅

@Smithy, I cooked the pork in the morning, so it just needed to be reheated.  We were eating in less than an hour after i got home.  And that

was because the tortilla dough needs to rest for 20 to 30 minutes. 

1651163045_GrilledNYStripNovember14th2022.thumb.jpg.ee1a42e6fe0d7645dc14635219beb2db.jpg

Last night's dinner.

Grilled a NY Strip steak big enough for two to share.
1819191026_GrilledNYStripNovember14th20221.thumb.jpg.47a7df789e933bdfc4a00085ea212fab.jpg

With roasted potato wedges and steamed green beans.
Simple, quick work night dinner.
  • Like 11
  • Delicious 7

This doesn't look like much, but it was good--stuffed portobello mushrooms.  Spinach/Italian sausage/tons of cheese.

thumbnail_IMG_3419.jpg.fe00c566636041e6274e8fd6fc595ba5.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3420.jpg.ff5675d866aaf0458562eb3605882396.jpg

Pork pot pie to use up the rest of the pork and veggies from the other day.

thumbnail_IMG_3428.jpg.1291045643db86e4eae8db9f4161484b.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3429.jpg.1200e78499d83525f7bd65ef3aae92f9.jpg

The mid-size grocery store has an excellent sale going on this week.  Ronnie bought a 10 lb. bag of uncut NY strip, a 6 lb. ham and a turkey (turkey was 59 cents a pound if you spent an additional $25) for just over $100 (and that included a few other groceries).  So we spent some time yesterday cutting and packaging meats.  Had to have ham and Swiss on rye last night.

thumbnail_IMG_3434-1.jpg.b07908a54a20bde272422601fc0bbccb.jpg

• Like 16
  • Delicious 4

2 minutes ago, TicTac said:

Wow....9 french fries....almost approaching double digits, there, Shelby.  Living on the edge!!!

🤣

Love the oozy cheese sammy.

that was Ronnie's plate 

• Haha 9

5 minutes ago, Senior Sea Kayaker said:

@Shelby

The pastry on that pot pie looks good. I like that you can see the little steam bubbles where they're under the surface.

I love the compliment but I cannot lie lol.  It's Pillsbury refrigerated crust 😬

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

6 minutes ago, Shelby said:

I love the compliment but I cannot lie lol.  It's Pillsbury refrigerated crust 😬

Provenance is highly overrated except perhaps, for truffles, caviar and Rioja. Perhaps if you moved in next-door to me, you could point to the other name on the package “crûtes à tarte”.

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Shelby said:

For years, decades actually, I made and was complimented on my piecrust.    Then, one day, I tried a PRC.    And never went back.   I do make suet crusts for pot pies and pasties, but other than that it's Pillsbury all the way.   I even shamelessly buy them on sale and store (hoard) them in the freezer.

• Like 1

eGullet member #80.