• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2022

liuzhou

Noodles with sesame sauce, chili oil and chickpeas.

PXL_20221008_183047243.thumb.jpg.aef196ccfd0aa3d3648c9baeb385ca82.jpg

Chvida

PXL_20221009_103316859.thumb.jpg.05008c1e6eb5d8833885e67e49f0efc4.jpg

Pizza margarita

PXL_20221009_182310439.thumb.jpg.bfe9993fab730361c6d00ed76128cf96.jpg

Pizza - zaatar and mozzarella 

PXL_20221009_184338275.thumb.jpg.5aa22c60a057e01264eeb1bde9fc8d82.jpg

Yen Ta Four style soup

PXL_20221010_175424743.thumb.jpg.1810fef09715bb779085944f8ab4e01e.jpg

Gheymeh bademjan (eggplants with tomato, yellow split peas, persian dried limes, orange juice, pomegranate syrup, mint, spices.

Khoresht sabzi minus the beef.

PXL_20221016_114046594.thumb.jpg.babf91cd5eb8ed27154c9f524761673e.jpg

PXL_20221016_113205333.thumb.jpg.ca3e82ef1e92bece4441b288c6647f4d.jpg

PXL_20221016_114100195.jpg

• Like 14
  • Delicious 4

~ Shai N.

3 hours ago, Anna N said:

Guessing that you are familiar with the usual supermarket, rotisserie chicken or something similar how did this differ? Is it the quality of the bird? The cooking method? Seasoning? All of the above or something else? Thanks.

Quality of the bird would be numero uno. This wasn't a Perdue, Foster Farms, Tyson's battery bird.  If what they are selling in the butcher department is any clue, that bird is a D'artagnan Green Circle chicken.

I also got it just as it came out of the kitchen - rather than one which has been sitting in the warm holding area for hours. So it wasn't all dried out. The rotisserie is also quite a contraption...if I could find a picture.

• Like 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

1 hour ago, weinoo said:

Quality of the bird would be numero uno. This wasn't a Perdue, Foster Farms, Tyson's battery bird.  If what they are selling in the butcher department is any clue, that bird is a D'artagnan Green Circle chicken.

I also got it just as it came out of the kitchen - rather than one which has been sitting in the warm holding area for hours. So it wasn't all dried out. The rotisserie is also quite a contraption...if I could find a picture.

Thanks. I suspected the bird itself would account. Mind you at $19 it’s appealing to a quite different audience than the loss-leader supermarket and Costco chickens. Some of these are marketed below cost I understand. ($7.99 vs $25+ would be the difference for me.)

• Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

Thanks. I suspected the bird itself would account. Mind you at $19 it’s appealing to a quite different audience than the loss-leader supermarket and Costco chickens. Some of these are marketed below cost I understand. ($7.99 vs $25+ would be the difference for me.)

Right. I don't know if I mentioned it here, but if I want to buy a good chicken to cook myself - it's gonna run at least $15 - $20, more likely $25.

Edit to add:  I've never bought a supermarket chicken nor a Costco.

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 2

Tasty Travails - My Blog

15 minutes ago, weinoo said:

I've never bought a supermarket chicken nor a Costco.

Edited 5 minutes ago by weinoo (log)

Different strokes for different folks as they say.😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

2 hours ago, Anna N said:

Different strokes for different folks as they say.😂

I buy a couple of Costco chickens (I think around 10.00 Canadian) once in a while. Usually on the day before we leave for camping. I break them down, separating the dark meat from white and save the bones for stock

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MaryIsobel said:

I buy a couple of Costco chickens (I think around 10.00 Canadian) once in a while. Usually on the day before we leave for camping. I break them down, separating the dark meat from white and save the bones for stock

The Costco chickens are the better choice. They make a handy and fast meal and are extremely economical. There’s lots of reasons to think we shouldn’t be buying them. But I have no wish to argue ethics from an uneven playing field.  

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

3 hours ago, Tropicalsenior said:

Or, Different Strokes for different pocketbooks.

True.  However even though my grocery budget is somewhat price constrained I'd still buy poultry from Griggstown Farm if I could get there.  (I've read Griggstown Farm supplies D'artagnan.)  Sadly four miles each way is more than I can manage.  Last time I enjoyed Griggstown Farm poultry was when @chefmd and her son took me grocery shopping down in Princeton prior to the pandemic.

https://griggstownfarm.com/pages/about-griggstown

Nowadays I have Whole Foods organic chicken delivered as the best poultry I can manage.  Whole Foods keeps promising to open a store within an easy walk of where I live.  Closer than Shoprite.  All the Township approvals were completed years ago.  However the only evidence remains sign by the side of the highway saying a new Whole Foods is coming.

• Like 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Salmon (naked), grilled on the NFG, with baked potato and steamed snap peas.  The potato was cooked in the microwave for 5 minutes and then placed in the NFG for the preheat (5 minutes or so) and for the salmon cook time (8 minutes).  Came out as good or better than 5 minutes in the microwave with 30 minutes in the oven.

nfg-salmon6.jpg.9ea7a129ed3e05fd2e5c78604c37489f.jpg

• Like 10
  • Delicious 1

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

10 hours ago, Anna N said:

There’s lots of reasons to think we shouldn’t be buying them. But I have no wish to argue ethics from an uneven playing field.  

There are reasons other than ethical; like what about health and flavor?

Last night, I was "dragged" to a somewhat new restaurant in Chinatown - Uncle Lou's.

It was pretty darn good.

IMG_7687.thumb.jpeg.5b88811e0b21a9e35f2b2dd5dbfba1b1.jpeg

Wontons in chili oil.

IMG_7689.thumb.jpeg.b74d017b9747125eb1faa5796acd731a.jpeg

Whole steamed flounder - this fish was big.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog

Cold here and getting colder (2F) and getting colder with more snow cooming.

Last night's dinner was Polish Cabbage Soup, an old favorite recipe of my Mom's.

Pure comfort served with fresh dinner rolls.

• Like 5

Picked up a piece of corned beef yesterday.
I remember @Ann_T had posted about roasting it?
Any suggestions on how to cook the beast without it being dry and crumbly? Sous vide? Pressure cooker? Oven? Boiling and simmering?

TIA!

• Like 1

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

I meant to post this last week and the week got away from me.  We had company last weekend so one night we cooked and the other we went out.  We did a beef tenderloin on the spit, accompanied by mini roasted potatoes, glazed carrots (that I do in the slow cooker) and bearnaise sauce (that I use a blender for instead of stovetop)  rounded off with a lovely barolo.   (I might have overdone putting the bearnaise on the plated one) ,  We are now snow bound for a few days, it is snowing and isnt' supposed to stop, so the lad had picked beef stronganoff for dinner on Sunday.  Its not terribly photogenic so there may not be any pictures of that.

beef tenderloin.jpg

sliced.jpg

mini potatoes.jpg

glazed carrots.jpg

plated.jpg

barolo.jpg

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 6

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

39 minutes ago, heidih said:

@RWood is that a bakery in San Fran - often thought of as sourdough capital out here. How does it hold up in transport?

It’s a big touristy bakery chain now.  When I first moved out there, it was smaller and we just loved the sourdough. It still tastes the same though. It ships really well. Family has sent it to us and we just freeze it then bake as needed. The taste of it brings back so many memories.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Dejah said:

Picked up a piece of corned beef yesterday.
I remember @Ann_T had posted about roasting it?
Any suggestions on how to cook the beast without it being dry and crumbly? Sous vide? Pressure cooker? Oven? Boiling and simmering?

TIA!

Roasting is the only way I do one now. Never cared for the boiled version.

224425717_CornedBrisketMarch17th20144.thumb.jpg.7188ffdb4be13bea96b43652aacd0ef7.jpg

https://thibeaultstable.com/2014/03/19/st-patricks-day-dinner-corned-brisket-and-leftovers/

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2
  • Delicious 2

2 minutes ago, Ann_T said:

Roasting is the only way I do one now.

Don’t think I have ever seen such appetizing looking corned beef. And thanks for sharing so many ways to enjoy it.

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog