• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2022

liuzhou

5 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

For years, decades actually, I made and was complimented on my piecrust.    Then, one day, I tried a PRC.    And never went back.   I do make suet crusts for pot pies and pasties, but other than that it's Pillsbury all the way.   I even shamelessly buy them on sale and store (hoard) them in the freezer.

I used to make a crust for pot pies that had cream cheese in it.  It was good and I never failed at it but I can't find the recipe now (typical of me).  All other crusts, I suck at.  I've tried.  My Grammy made the best crusts in the world.  My M-I-L makes a good one, too.  Crusts and biscuits are two things that I'm just not good at.  Yay for Pillsbury lol!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, liamsaunt said:

Coconut curry pollock.

889835991_coconutcurryfish.thumb.jpg.fbc50085ef658fa2bdccfe9226be2db2.jpg

I am so envious of all your curries. It is one thing that my husband really doesn't care for, but he thinks that all "curries" have the same flavour profile. I am tempted to make one and call it "Spicy Indonesian Chicken" or "Fish in Spicy Sauce or some such.

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, MaryIsobel said:

I am so envious of all your curries. It is one thing that my husband really doesn't care for, but he thinks that all "curries" have the same flavour profile. I am tempted to make one and call it "Spicy Indonesian Chicken" or "Fish in Spicy Sauce or some such.

My husband was exactly the same! He never even tasted a Thai curry, which is so different from an Indian curry. It is worth a try, but I suspect you would not persuade him at least not with the Indian food. They detect something in the air that warns them!

• Haha 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

My husband was exactly the same! He never even tasted a Thai curry, which is so different from an Indian curry. It is worth a try, but I suspect you would not persuade him at least not with the Indian food. They detect something in the air that warns them!

True. I think his distaste for curry stems from eating at an "all you can eat" Indian buffet back in his work days. I think I could probably sneak in a Thai curry as long as I don't call it curry. (And yes, he is a full grown man, not a toddler!)

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, MaryIsobel said:

True. I think his distaste for curry stems from eating at an "all you can eat" Indian buffet back in his work days. I think I could probably sneak in a Thai curry as long as I don't call it curry. (And yes, he is a full grown man, not a toddler!)

In my experience the problem for some is the Indian curry they experienced with a strong cumin element - that spice  can overwhelm a dish if not properly done and also kinda comes out through your pores. I use curry as a general term for a quick stew with lots of elements. Doing one now with shrimp, pork sausage, lots of allium, mushrooms and a peanut pounded with black pepper seasoning. Mustard crept in. My hands today rebelled and could not get the coco milk can open so yogurt had to step in. Forget names and call it a stew. 

• Like 1

2nd time I've made this... and won't be the last since my wife really likes it.

Potatoes with Bell pepper Confetti.

20221115_180219.thumb.jpg.749acfe64275108ed46f069986f929c9.jpg

I cut the bell peppers smaller this time.  Since they are "confetti" :)

• Like 9

11 hours ago, Shelby said:

This doesn't look like much, but it was good--stuffed portobello mushrooms.  Spinach/Italian sausage/tons of cheese.

thumbnail_IMG_3419.jpg.fe00c566636041e6274e8fd6fc595ba5.jpg

@Shelby, can you tell me more about these little casserole dishes? At least, I assume they are little because I think you used them in the CSO. I'd certainly be interested in something similar. 🙂

• Like 2

IMG_7670.thumb.jpeg.f742acd741c1c44158fda985c66a9503.jpeg

Black sea bass ready for roasting, stuffed with herbs, lemon, etc.

1151911860_IMG_7672(1).thumb.jpeg.8a168526296924804811626c745866b3.jpeg

Roasted.

IMG_7671.thumb.jpeg.e7ce0b63097b8c982cc9096ae24bf736.jpeg

@rancho_gordo's lima beans, precooked and then cooked like a confit in the oven, in a lot of olive oil, olives, garlic, herbs, etc. Really good.

Then sort of plated...

IMG_7674.thumb.jpeg.218100031447f8603c9e2425efd1d0fa.jpeg

Carolina Gold rice, steamed broccoli, some of the fish annihilated onto the plate. Beans were help yourself. More olive oil just splashed over everything.

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 12
  • Delicious 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

2 hours ago, Raamo said:

2nd time I've made this... and won't be the last since my wife really likes it.

Potatoes with Bell pepper Confetti.

20221115_180219.thumb.jpg.749acfe64275108ed46f069986f929c9.jpg

I cut the bell peppers smaller this time.  Since they are "confetti" :)

Did you ever find the recipe?

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Big honkin' chicken breast (I couldn't eat it all), cooked in the NFG on air crisp.  It was just some avocado oil and seasonings.  Baked potato with 5 minutes in the microwave followed by 30 minutes at 375F in the NFG along with the chicken.  Same as a 2 hour 400F bake.

nfg-chicken-breast.jpg.8fee47a23be1d7c37654e7b48670512a.jpg

• Like 8
  • Delicious 1

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

2 hours ago, liamsaunt said:

loose curd cauliflower

I gather this is a hybrid. Can you say anything more? Google is not very helpful except in suggesting that it a fault of ordinary cauliflower growth. 😳

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

I gather this is a hybrid. Can you say anything more? Google is not very helpful except in suggesting that it a fault of ordinary cauliflower growth. 😳

I'd like to learn more too.  It looks almost eatable.

• Haha 3

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

I assumed (I know - danger danger) that it was loose cauliflower.  I;'d get it growing regular c-flower in hot area, and there is a variety intended to be loose. Kinda long video but he explains well. Love the cabbage leaf quick blanch  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Tonight was cold and dark.  I stopped on my way home for a frozen chicken pot pie.  And some limes.

And then you got home safely, turned on the lights, got toasty warm and had a mai tai and peanuts while you heated up your dinner. Goodnight Moon. You did not trip on a back-up appliance. You did not cut yourself on plastic wrap. You did not have a bowl of mush. You had steaming pot pie and then you fell asleep.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

20 hours ago, Anna N said:

18 hours ago, heidih said:

I assumed (I know - danger danger) that it was loose cauliflower.  I;'d get it growing regular c-flower in hot area, and there is a variety intended to be loose. Kinda long video but he explains well. Love the cabbage leaf quick blanch  

I checked my CSA newsletter; sometimes they call it loose curd and sometimes sprouting late harvest.  It looks like the cauliflower in the video @heidih posted.  The flavor is the same as regular cauliflower.

Last night, crispy broiled gnocchi with burst cherry tomato and pesto sauce with mozzarella

gnocchi.thumb.jpg.6128a491ae155b25dcddb3a7e4b92010.jpg

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

14 minutes ago, liamsaunt said:

I checked my CSA newsletter; sometimes they call it loose curd and sometimes sprouting late harvest.

Thanks so much.  

My 2004 eG Blog

A visit to the Tin Building yesterday provided me with a whole rotisserie chicken, which is in my quest to find a good, French-style one here in NYC.

They had just brought a few birds out from the kitchen, so I was able to snatch one that hadn't been sitting in its heated case for however long - not a bad bird!

image.thumb.jpeg.c7e9ade8a23c22571fcb44200f340e0a.jpeg

Made some mustard greens with bacon, shallot, red pepper, etc. Should've bought two bunches at the farmer's market, as the one bunch shrank down a lot.

image.thumb.jpeg.43381825c57c0bb381d085464ed5814a.jpeg

Rotisserie chicken leg and wing for me. Those mustard greens. Fingerling potatoes (now I forget the variety), parboiled and then pan fried in duck fat. A little pan sauce too.

• Like 12
  • Delicious 3

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Yesterday was the end of a string of not fun things to do (hopefully).  Today I am decompressing and hopefully will do some cooking/baking in a bit.  

Night before last I found some boudin balls deep in the freezer.  So breakfast it was.

thumbnail_IMG_3437.jpg.665ca76e4ef43b7c9b90141c65725141.jpg

I was worn out after a periodontist appt yesterday --turned a venison roast into stew and took one of those take and bake sourdough loaves out of the freezer.  Easy.

thumbnail_IMG_3443.jpg.004ae5937b7636120a69bd53434303bc.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3445.jpg.8fb8ba1c17800052d8ea86589f82d80c.jpg

• Like 11
  • Delicious 1

2 hours ago, weinoo said:

Rotisserie chicken leg

Guessing that you are familiar with the usual supermarket, rotisserie chicken or something similar how did this differ? Is it the quality of the bird? The cooking method? Seasoning? All of the above or something else? Thanks.

My 2004 eG Blog