• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2022

liuzhou

@Paul Bacino, today's gassiness would be a small price to pay for that dinner!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Working today, but got a head start on dinner.

550130800_CabbageRollsNovember21st2022.thumb.jpg.f07a97fad88e892368b5727a53605455.jpg

Had a craving for cabbage rolls, so picked up the ingredients yesterday

and got them made and into the oven this morning.  

They need about an 90 minutes or so, in the oven.  Moe is hoping to have a couple for breakfast. 

• Like 17
  • Delicious 3

Was a bit of a lousy day, and I felt not like cooking. So I went out to buy some Fischstäbchen (fish fingers), kind of my childhood comfort food. They have evolved - plenty of varieties: I picked the salmon variety and the cod one, coasted in a Rösti shell. Baked in the oven, they won’t win any gourmet competition - but they were crunchy and strangely quite tasty. Served with mashed potatoes, creamed spinach and tomato sauce - just like 40 years ago 🤗

62247BB7-C3E5-4205-9916-10AEE6B6EA82.thumb.jpeg.cec3e43902f7a11dabffd1b0da96b078.jpeg

• Like 15
  • Delicious 3

27 minutes ago, Duvel said:

Was a bit of a lousy day, and I felt not like cooking. So I went out to buy some Fischstäbchen (fish fingers), kind of my childhood comfort food. They have evolved - plenty of varieties: I picked the salmon variety and the cod one, coasted in a Rösti shell. Baked in the oven, they won’t win any gourmet competition - but they were crunchy and strangely quite tasty. Served with mashed potatoes, creamed spinach and tomato sauce - just like 40 years ago 🤗

62247BB7-C3E5-4205-9916-10AEE6B6EA82.thumb.jpeg.cec3e43902f7a11dabffd1b0da96b078.jpeg

The creamed spinach is also cpmfort for me ad the potato crust interesting on the fish fingers. By tomato sauce is that more like a catsup/ketchup ?

3 minutes ago, heidih said:

The creamed spinach is also cpmfort for me ad the potato crust interesting on the fish fingers. By tomato sauce is that more like a catsup/ketchup ?

No, it pretty much what you’d call Marinara sauce (minus the red wine) …

@Duvel

very interesting

the fish sticks come already coated ?

and you have more than 

' white fish ' as options ?

Id love to try the salmon , 

not to make the trip for it

but , would like to see that

say 

TJ's 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Duvel said:

Yes, you are correct. This is the most popular brand here …

So Germany is also into the gluten free/omega 3 promo of foods. Maybe not to the extent as seen here on occasion of a shrimp propduct with labeling warning it contans shellfish.....

• Confused 1

10 minutes ago, heidih said:

So Germany is also into the gluten free/omega 3 promo of foods. Maybe not to the extent as seen here on occasion of a shrimp propduct with labeling warning it contans shellfish.....

Gluten free is quite popular, as are vegan products and meat alternatives. Basically all the major brands have their lines of products (see here for the one I cited above). The allergen warnings are there, but not as pronounced as in the US (mostly, because our law does not allow for “outrageous” settlements in lawsuits).

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Duvel, I too am interested in the fish sticks. I used to love them when I was a child; recently my husband wanted them as a bit of a childhood comfort-food treat so we tried some.

🙄

I made him eat all but the two I tried. I couldn't imagine anything making them palatable. I've never seen fish sticks made from different varieties of fish! That might make all the difference. 🙂

• Like 4

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

45 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Bison!  I'm going to show how stupid I am and I'm cooking right now....ground bison?  

Yes, ground bison. We like it since it's a lot healthier than beef but not too expensive. And since I only use 1/4# of meat in this dish (and the bison comes in 1# packs) there will be bison burgers tomorrow!

• Like 1