• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2021

liuzhou

I rarely eat swordfish (here at home), but once in a blue moon I see a good looking chunk...

oIYpckH.jpg

4BF41QQ.jpg

10 hours ago, Duvel said:

B0FE3133-BCA0-4760-9EAB-6191130E31A2.thumb.jpeg.07c273c8341f0ec7f7a61c4b30990f30.jpeg

I also have a HK poster! Bought it in 2008. Returned for the 4th time in 2018. Hope I can go back, even if it's going to be a different HK (unless I have to endure mainland Chinese style entry requirements.)

Edited by BonVivant (log)
  • Like 8
  • Delicious 1

Pizza & movie night (while my parents are stopping over on their way to their holiday in the Palatinate):

First pizza was salami & mushrooms (as always, actually), but with the little one emphasizing on being hungry, my father praising the beer selection and my mom inquiring about the things I’ve done to the garden yesterday, I missed taking the picture. Yes, I know. @Anna N or eventually @JoNorvelleWalker will be all over me …

Second one was raclette cheese & potato. I was reminded of the combination by @Chris Hennes post in the Modernist Pizza thread. I used to live off this combo in the early 2000s during my PhD time in Paris. The Pizza Hut in the suburb of Asnieres-sur-Seine (where I was living) had a 2-for-1 take away deal on Thursdays after 21.00h, which made me consume a looooot of these pizzas. It was a very substantial pie, suitable for students on a meager scholarship. Funny enough, they still carry the pizza (with lardons filling in for the caramelized onions) …

F328F85C-3A27-44C3-84BB-5E4CDCC6C81A.thumb.jpeg.661eeac5ae1c430fcc0db3920e5fe26a.jpeg

Third one was spinach and gorgonzola, as requested by my father …

F46BA64A-13B9-44DB-87B8-9EFEC34AD462.thumb.jpeg.5339cde604d6cc970d75c692760c03cf.jpeg

My mom opted for figs, goat cheese, pine nuts and honey …

EA0988BB-8192-42AF-938E-6EF22D49BF43.thumb.jpeg.b8a6f485b06667cf2f5bdaa1219d8516.jpeg

Finally, the cooks choice: Margherita with thinly sliced fennel salami added post cook …

B1B7A5EC-8324-486D-A87F-ACBB2032DBF8.thumb.jpeg.3cb563040be16da77b01013a22a5a880.jpeg

All enjoyed with Disney’s The Living Desert - a really good movie, even in its German dubbed version … 

And a beer (or two ?!) for the hard working cook 🤗

740C9C37-CCED-4552-9690-C4338381D841.thumb.jpeg.8288fc673ab2aa088c3face35dd0c267.jpeg

Epilogue: tomorrow’s lunchbox will feature pizza as well …

A6B523AE-1EC9-4BFA-A7C6-BCE5E02C65F4.thumb.jpeg.33b9115e6e3cc83a6871869a5ae37d06.jpeg

Edited by Duvel (log)
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, BonVivant said:

I also have a HK poster! Bought it in 2008. Returned for the 4th time in 2018. Hope I can go back, even if it's going to be a different HK (unless I have to endure mainland Chinese style entry requirements.)

That photograph was the farewell gift of my team when I left. It was made to order by a known photographer and fits exactly the wall above a Chinese cabinet I purchased even before we went to HK. It centers Jardine House, where my office was … sweet memories 🤗

Right now, you are facing 3 weeks of hotel quarantine if you decide to go. And not in the good hotels. We would love to visit our friends over there, but not under these conditions. Let’s hope for better times soon 🤞

• Like 4

1 hour ago, heidih said:

Were sauces involved? Looks almost carnitas like in a good way.

It is Kirkland's smoked pulled pork, which isn't all that great just reheated, so I pan fry it with a bit of Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

3 hours ago, robirdstx said:

A741B991-CBB4-4517-88C1-8553686B712F.thumb.jpeg.3c796360566551ac6fcdf8e1450b614a.jpeg

Charcoal Grilled Double Cheeseburger with Bacon, Red Onion, Tomato, Mayo and Yellow Mustard on a toasted Ciabatta Roll

Watching you eat it would be priceless.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I really dislike ciabatta. I think it’s because I have veneers and it feel rough to bite into. I’m more of a potato, brioche or pretzel bun person and I know they all likely have more calories. I just worry too much to chance a ciabatta and I also think it could distract from some burgers but certainly not the delicious double posted above! 

• Like 1

Obe ata: my first attempt at a West African dish... and I've never eaten real West African food. So while it was delicious, I have little context for it! I can perceive similarities to elements of North African and Caribbean cuisines. I also have a feeling that the leftovers will improve overnight. The process as is interesting as the ingredients: roast an assemblage of vegetables and aromatics; blend; season and reduce.

I followed the Serious Eats recipe closely, albeit divided by 4. Only changes were subbing jalapenos for fresnos, increasing the Lion's curry powder slightly, and salting and browning the uncooked chicken in advance, and then adding it to finish in the sauce as it cooks down. I didn't have Mediterranean basil, so I used Thai, which matched very well. I passed a bowl of pounded grains of selim at the table.

The red palm oil flavor is the most unfamiliar element. Beyond that, it's a rich, sweet, spicy, braise. The Cameroon pepper is superb, smoky and dark, and I think essential to this dish. The recipe suggests that the heat level is negligible. I wouldn't call it that (allowing for the huge variation in heat in jalapenos and habaneros), but it's not very spicy. I have a feeling upping the capsaicin level might complement the sweetness of the roasted vegetables and palm oil better, so I will try that with the leftovers. But in any event, very good (and very chicken-y through the rich sauce).

IMG_7484.JPG

IMG_7485.JPG

IMG_7486.JPG

IMG_7487.JPG

IMG_7488.JPG

IMG_7489.JPG

IMG_7491.JPG

IMG_7492.JPG

IMG_7494.JPG

IMG_7496.JPG

• Like 15
  • Delicious 1

I don't have issues with leftovers being usually planned for lunches or a protein becomes a completely different dish. But the fettuccini and meatballs were so good we had it again Saturday afternoon for an early dinner. Made a fresh chopped salad that should last a couple days. 

Sunday smoked short ribs, a brisket, and a couple salmon filets and some merguez lamb sausage. 

Short ribs last night smoked then braised. RG DomingoRojo beans and rice. Ribs had the nice tug, then fell off the bone clean at the table.

IMG_5798.jpeg

Screen Shot 2021-10-16 at 8.39.34 PM.png

IMG_5805.jpeg

• Like 12
  • Delicious 1

Got my second Shingrix shot late Saturday afternoon and you basically have the same kind of reaction after the second Covid shot, so I didn't feel like cooking much and soup sounded good.  This was a can of Campbell's Hearty Chicken Noodle to which I added a generous amount of char siu along with some corn and peas.  (What I really wanted was some War Wonton soup from one our favorite Chinese restaurants, but was too lazy to go get it.)

char-siu-soup.jpg.f32b0fa6479a1d8d197e16705fa2346b.jpg

• Like 11

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

On 10/16/2021 at 6:01 AM, liamsaunt said:

Nobody else in the house eats shrimp.

1389940456_shrimpscampi2.thumb.jpg.b2e505b940f474c20756c43bc02aab5b.jpg

Pearls...swine. :B

The shrimp look delicious.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

10 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Mackerel steaks pan-fried with mirin and litsea oil to finish. Triple cooked chips. There was a salad to the side.

79180026_mackerelwithchips.thumb.jpg.5ccd0cb288b530b712261c05af8864f4.jpg

Still all with only one functioning hand? I admire you, I would have likely reverted to freezer stuff or takeout. Bravo!

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, MaryIsobel said:

Still all with only one functioning hand? I admire you, I would have likely reverted to freezer stuff or takeout. Bravo!

Thanks. Yes, still one handed, but I can now use the broken one as a dead weight to steady things.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 4
  • Sad 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Another porterhouse steak night.

My SO is doing another four day cleanse so I made a very rare steak with baby bella mushrooms sauteed in olive oil, butter and red wine. The baked potatoes are two small red ones harvested from the compost pile. We didn't plant potatoes this year. 

PXL_20211018_234030843.thumb.jpg.866c8872221620fa8bf9fa602d93b85e.jpg

The steak was SVed for 2.5 hours at 122F then seared in an antique CIFP at 500F for 100 seconds on each side. It was frozen solid when it went into the water.

• Like 8
  • Delicious 1