• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2021

liuzhou

My SO is doing another four day cleanse so I made a very rare steak

Ahhh … the ever so popular rare steak cleanse. In Germany we do the Schnitzel & french fry cleanse, but the basic idea is the same 🤗

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

This began as a hot smoked salmon white miso soup and side salad. But have been wanting to try the Sfoglini pasta. Fortunately I only cooked about 2-3 ounces. The box says 7-8 minutes but should have checked at 5 minutes. I set the alarm for 6 min. A bit overdone but excellent pasta. I would order direct today but they are sold out of many like a basic spaghetti that I prefer over many odd shaped offerings. This trumpet shape will be used sparingly in winter soups. 

IMG_5813.jpeg

IMG_1308.jpeg

• Like 9

@Margaret Pilgrimbeautiful big shrimp.

Cusk roasted with peppers, onions, and olives with a parsley vinaigrette, and some sliced roasted potatoes.

@liamsaunt I had to look up "Cusk". Not a fish I'd heard of  before.   Is it similar to Lingcod?  I love how you prepared it.  I have more halibut coming today and I still have some

Sablefish in the freezer that will be good served your way. 

Dinner10182021.jpg

Beans.

@JoNorvelleWalker this is the best photo of beans. 

Last night's dinner.

Chicken Lemon Piccata with green peppercorns and roasted potatoes October 18th, 2021.jpg

Chicken Lemon Piccata with green peppercorns (I hate capers) with roasted potatoes and steamed green beans.

Edited by Ann_T (log)
  • Like 12
  • Delicious 3

Chicken Lemon Piccata with green peppercorns...

I was channeling you a couple weeks ago making a green peppercorn sauce. It looked just like yours---until it didn't. Not sure what went wrong. It went dark and ugly but still good. Google image search had even uglier sauces so that was comforting. (looking the next day)

A master of sauces I am not. Not even close. Probably because I wing-it. A casual rush at the stove I suppose. 

I also prefer green peppercorns even though I stock capers but for tapenade type toppings. 

@Margaret Pilgrimbeautiful big shrimp.

@liamsaunt I had to look up "Cusk". Not a fish I'd heard of  before.   Is it similar to Lingcod?  I love how you prepared it.  I have more halibut coming today and I still have some

@JoNorvelleWalker this is the best photo of beans. 

Last night's dinner.

Chicken Lemon Piccata with green peppercorns (I hate capers) with roasted potatoes and steamed green beans.

I agree with you on the capers. Did you use pickled green peppercorns or fresh?
I keep jars of the pickled ones on hand when the fresh is not available.

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Spent the last 1.5 hours catching up on the lovely meals posted by everyone.
A few from my kitchen:

BBQ duck sourced from the freezer from a previous trip to Chinatown. Couldn't find fresh Ho Fun mid week so I used re-hydrated dried ones I keep on hand.

1664581010_DuckHoFun5517.jpg.c9813a9dce978a352763dbe0d0b58f72.jpg

We had the last warm days on the weekend, and spent a lot of hours cleaning up the yard, etc, getting ready for winter.
A quick meal was in order:
Curry Chicken with Pataks curry paste:

1717795053_CurryChicken5527.jpg.cb155195cdbdd3318e9b059bf3ff2ae6.jpg

It was a more relaxing day yesterday, so I had time to do a bit of prep for the Mushroom Stem Duxelles-stuffed Sole ( I used pickerel fillets).

1767458036_MushroomStemDuxelles-stuffedPickerel5532.jpg.58a86738ff3c36b31f92e9cf7fe397e1.jpg

• Like 14
  • Delicious 1

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

@Tropicalsenior – you asked if it was possible they felt they couldn’t reciprocate.  I don’t think so.  We trade visits (before Covid) and often when they come here, she will make one meal (she makes the best meatloaf I’ve ever tasted, and I am meatloaf-challenged).  She’s a wonderful cook and pretty much everything she’s ever made us I’ve gotten her recipe and served it to people and credited her. 

@Duvel – thank you so much for the Maultaschen directions.  I am lucky to have a pasta shop near me and can get pasta sheets there.  Those pizzas you made for your parents visit were incredible looking.  Nice that you didn’t take a picture of the fungus one and spared me having to look at that😄.  Every other one was delightful looking. 

@Norm Matthews – I share your frustration about finding good, meaty ham hocks.  I used to get them from any grocery store and the amount of meat that came off them when they were cooked with beans made a serving of  “ham” for each person.  Now I’m lucky to get a couple of shreds.  I may have to check the actual butcher shop.

On Friday I made a giant amount of baked spaghetti for one of Jessica’s friends.  There are 5 of them in the family and all of them, including an infant, have RSV.  This is my largest metal bowl:

IMG_7231.jpg.4791797969f6a904d3213afb4d0495b9.jpg

It was enough for three (one for us) 13x9-inch casseroles full.  We still haven’t started on ours. 

Saturday was French dip sandwiches (thanks for the inspiration, @Duvel) with pintos and boiled potatoes:

IMG_7243.thumb.jpg.8475d8dbaf3775152798eb8f0ca19613.jpg

And a salad:

IMG_7242.thumb.jpg.04ea8e56949bed886be871a3895f7b0c.jpg

• Like 12
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 1

I agree with you on the capers. Did you use pickled green peppercorns or fresh?
I keep jars of the pickled ones on hand when the fresh is not available.

@Dejah, No I use dried green peppercorns.   I have the same problem with brined peppercorns as I do capers.  I just don't like the brine because  it imparts a flavour. 

I don't really care much for anything pickled or brined. Mostly I'm not a fan of vinegar.

I've only been able to find fresh peppercorns a few times and it was when we lived in Vancouver.

Have not seen them here on the Island.  Even dried are hard to come by so I order them from Silk Road Spice Merchants out of Calgary.

• Like 1

Spicy Cod Cakes-  this has chopped Thai chili peppers/onion/celery/carrot/little lemon zest/ parsley/Romaine ( Panko/egg binder)

Dukes/Daves Bun/spicy nacho crumble   Mt Olive pickles

51608051109_f87a8dac5e_z.jpg

Edited by Paul Bacino (log)
  • Like 11
  • Delicious 3

Its good to have Morels

Spicy Cod Cakes-  this has chopped Thai chili peppers/onion/celery/carrot/little lemon zest/ parsley/Romaine

Dukes/Daves Bun/spicy nacho crumble   Mt Olive pickles

51608051109_f87a8dac5e_z.jpg

Nice! Now this looks like a decent Fischfrikadelle, and I am always looking for some varieties for my regular rotation: would you mind sharing your ratios ?

• Like 1

@Duvel--  Roughly same amount carrot/celery/onion  sautéed in butter/deglazed with rose wine ( was drinking )  Cooled

1 egg

1 thai chili chopped

lemon zest

parsley    eyed those

I food processed about twice the amount of cod to the above mix maybe a bit more

Then enough toasted panko to it binds

I usually cook by eye--so asking for ratio's  works for me ( Thanks )

As always set aside in fridge ( covered ) to set before-- I cooked in ghee and EvOO

Cheers Doc B

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Its good to have Morels

No I use dried green peppercorns. 

I use dried. A pound lasts a couple years I keep in the freezer. Probably not necessary but all my bulk spices are in the freezer door. I do soak mine overnight. A Tbsp of spirit and 4 or 5 tBsp of good filtered water to cover. I have a bottle of vodka in the pantry I use for a homemade bug/tick/mosquito spray. Some recent pasta sauces. I think it depends on brand for any jarred products. I did stock up on pantry olives and misc 2020. Capers can be void of flavor and heavy in vinegar. Olives are all over the place from watery to pure intense. Anchovies as well. I ordered a two pound tin of salted anchovies---the best ever. Lasted forever in the fridge---soak them yada-yada. 

BC, (before covid), I had, pre-BC, a trusted market/grocery shopping of pantries/fridge misc of olives, etc. 

• Thanks 1

Chinese pork schnitzel with triple-cooked chips and tomatoes. I'm painfully aware that is very similar to the mackerel and chips I posted just a few days ago, but in my current one-handed state it's easier to repeat something tried and tested rather then go hungry.

714093241_dinner2.thumb.jpg.dbcde25d7bfcb9ac43caa9a509adbf42.jpg

1684389250_dinner1.thumb.jpg.619d98fd041745effcaea688e6924fe2.jpg

• Like 11

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

49 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Chinese pork schnitzel with triple-cooked chips and tomatoes. I'm painfully aware that is very similar to the mackerel and chips I posted just a few days ago, but in my current one-handed state it's easier to repeat something tried and tested rather then go hungry.

714093241_dinner2.thumb.jpg.dbcde25d7bfcb9ac43caa9a509adbf42.jpg

1684389250_dinner1.thumb.jpg.619d98fd041745effcaea688e6924fe2.jpg

What makes this schnitzel Chinese?

26 minutes ago, KennethT said:

What makes this schnitzel Chinese?

The breading containing Chinese spices such as Sichuan peppercorns, star anise, fennel, cumin, chilli etc.

It's a supermarket mix. They don't call it schnitzel, of course. I made that one up, but it's kind of an accurate description, I think.

• Like 3

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

3 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Probably easier to go hungry, but certainly not as enjoyable 😛

On 10/19/2021 at 10:39 AM, Ann_T said:

I have never had lingcod, but based on what I read about it online, it does sound similar.  The closest local to me fish that I can compare it to is probably monkfish.  It's white and mild in flavor, but firmer than haddock, or Atlantic cod.  We do not get it very often in the fish share because it is not well known, but I am always really happy when we do.  It makes great chowder in the winter.

Last night was "clean out the produce drawers" spaghetti.  It had a sauce made from the rest of the cherry tomatoes roasted with some shallots and garlic, mixed with some roasted spiralized summer squash, a box of baby bella mushrooms also tossed with garlic and roasted on a separate sheet pan, and the rest of a bunch of peppery arugula chopped up and added at the end.  Olives would have been good too but I put those in the fish last night.

1136561538_roastedveggiespaghetti.thumb.jpg.e33bda85f201a04ac8bb7d72ef85ec27.jpg

• Like 13
  • Delicious 2

Shopping the crisper drawer is daily now. It is stuffed after a lull. Garden produce is dealt with finally. Should have postponed the next veg delivery box but so many things I don't grow have been missed. Might have to blanch a pile of shredded greens and freeze for winter soups. 

Made a fennel/cucumber salad. Grain. Hijiki. Shrimp stock and a nice white miso/ginger broth with a bit of marinara. 

Screen Shot 2021-10-20 at 6.51.21 AM.png

• Like 8
  • Delicious 1

Once upon a time there was an eG discussion about the Dinner thread passing a certain goalpost (number of pages, or years continuing uninterrupted...whatever). The challenge of the discussion was to make something from a past post in the huge Dinner thread discussion.

I chose a side dish from a post by legacy member @Jinmyo . It was simple and hardy. It was a can of Cannellini beans or Great Northern beans, heated with a can of Italian-spiced stewed tomatoes, served open-faced over garlic bread. You smash about 1/3 of the beans so the starch will thicken the mixture a little and also smash any too-large tomatoes from the Stewed tomatoes. You could also use regular stewed tomatoes and add your own spice theme (rosemary, thyme, whatever floats your boat).

I tweaked the recipe a little and added shredded rotisserie chicken which changed the side into a simple peasant meal. Easy peasy. Perfect for a cold Autumn evening which we finally had here last night.

• Like 5
  • Delicious 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver