• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2021

liuzhou

2 hours ago, Duvel said:

Yes - I think it is a common technique, especially for the group of “red-braised” dishes to intensify the color. As the sugar doesn’t dissolve in the oil you can nicely watch the process …

I candy bacon by caramelizing sugar in the bacon fat.  Great contrast in flavors

• Like 3

Frost on rooftops this morning. The inevitable is coming.

A meal all in one for a friend who's recovering from surgery. Had enough for ourselves as well: Won Ton Soup

586735995_WontonSoup5536.jpg.adf9e8a9ccd447674d58676493f2fb83.jpg

Found a package of 2 marinated turkey drumsticks in the freezer, probably from Easter. Roasted with butternut squash fries.

2092143126_TurleyDrumsticksButternutSquashfries5540.jpg.aebf5a30695fe3f03f37ab7cb3283fb0.jpg

I use an app from our Superstore, and every once in a while, I can pick up nice bargains, like lamb, and yesterday, large scallops. These all have a Best Before Date that falls on "next day" for me. The items often go into the freezer (items NOT previously frozen). We had Panko-coated scallops last night. Had picked up a bag of Cavendish fries, which I didn't realize they were ultra thin cuts. They were good and fast along with roasted bell peppers and zucchini chunks.

1335526772_ScallopsFries5543.jpg.192d5a5d07279729ec6f752be1f5cc20.jpg

• Like 14
  • Delicious 2

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

20 hours ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Asparagus, baby beets, green goddess

IMG_1318.jpg.d6f079cbc18f1b61583ddbcc66077dc0.jpg

Rainy day veal shank, mushroom, barley soup.

IMG_1319.jpg.9d4450675c99c19422030d7ddbcca278.jpg

Turkey barley soup pulled from the freezer will be dinner tonight. I love barley but veal shanks are an "order two weeks ahead" thing here. Any kind of veal really. Never see it at mainstream grocery stores, only butcher shops. And I have asparagus, but alas no beets. Otherwise I would be copying your salad - it looks delicious!

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, MaryIsobel said:

Turkey barley soup pulled from the freezer will be dinner tonight. I love barley but veal shanks are an "order two weeks ahead" thing here. Any kind of veal really. Never see it at mainstream grocery stores, only butcher shops. And I have asparagus, but alas no beets. Otherwise I would be copying your salad - it looks delicious!

Do you not have a Sobeys near you? (I remember correctly that you're in BC?) They've started stocking veal as a regular thing. Not that I've seen shanks, mind you, but I haven't been explicitly looking for them either.

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

2 hours ago, chromedome said:

Do you not have a Sobeys near you? (I remember correctly that you're in BC?) They've started stocking veal as a regular thing. Not that I've seen shanks, mind you, but I haven't been explicitly looking for them either.

No Sobeys in my part of BC - southwest coast. Nearest town has Freshco and Save-On, neither of which carry veal. A little further away there is a Safeway (one of the few remaining) and a Real Canadian Superstore. I know that least one of those are owned by Sobey but don't recall which. I'll have to google, although I am quite happy to patronize my local 3rd generation butcher if and when I need veal.

12 hours ago, Shelby said:

@Ann_TYour roasted potatoes are always so perfect.  I need to dig through the freezer and see if I have any pheasant because now I want piccata.

Thanks @Shelby, that is how I feel about your fries.  

2011322824_SterlingSilverTopSirloinRoastOctober21st2021.thumb.jpg.14f1ea55093bb7dd98809d173205dfd8.jpg

Before I left for work this morning I gave Moe some options for dinner. Halibut, Steak or roast beef dinner.
Roasted a small Sterling Sliver Top Sirloin roast. Roasted at 500°F for 20 minutes.
Rested while the potatoes finished cooking. Served with mashed potatoes, gravy and buttered peas.
  • Like 17
  • Delicious 4

1 hour ago, MaryIsobel said:

No Sobeys in my part of BC - southwest coast. Nearest town has Freshco and Save-On, neither of which carry veal. A little further away there is a Safeway (one of the few remaining) and a Real Canadian Superstore. I know that least one of those are owned by Sobey but don't recall which. I'll have to google, although I am quite happy to patronize my local 3rd generation butcher if and when I need veal.

It's Safeway that's owned by Sobeys, fwiw.

• Thanks 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

22 hours ago, heidih said:

Isn't that a pisser. I keep my bread in non functional Bosch microwave and every once in a while, not often, a mold spore lands. Really throws plans off.

I keep meaning to try @nathanm's method of storing bread under an atmosphere of CO2.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Yesterday was pretty warm so we decided to grill some chicken and corn.  Grilled chicken on street corn off the cob, and a salad with romaine, avocado, red onion, and some mint dressing from last week that I found in the back of the fridge.

1670065168_streetcornchicken.thumb.jpg.5ee809f2f34b70ffa10def161442081b.jpg

• Like 14
  • Delicious 1

My parents are stopping by on their way back from their Palatinate holiday. Temperatures have dropped significantly in the last two days, so when I asked them what they would like to have for dinner both requested “chicken soup, maybe Asian” …

I gave a few options and my mom chose Phở Gà. I prepared about 4 L of aromatic stock over the course of the morning and made some SV chicken breast as inlay (plus rice noodles, spring onion and bean sprouts). Herbs & everything else for tweaking the soup was served separately. It was quite a success.

4E3BA2E3-0A33-4A95-8643-5CBFB8529C7B.thumb.jpeg.f0eddc4e1c5ac9927741e791e9f2e0f6.jpeg

My fathers had thirds and asked to take some of the remaining stock home 😊

7203545F-CA14-4676-8E65-CC9509270710.thumb.jpeg.e3f78988292cd7cdb81a6229618dcb91.jpeg

Edited by Duvel (log)
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 3

4 minutes ago, Duvel said:

My parents are stopping by on their way back from their Palatinate holiday. Temperatures have dropped significantly in the last two days, so when I asked them what they would like to have for dinner both requested “chicken soup, maybe Asian” …

I gave a few options and my mom chose Phở Gà. I prepared about 4 L of aromatic stock over the course of the morning and made some SV chicken breast as inlay (plus rice noodles, spring onion and bean sprouts). Herbs & everything else for tweaking the soup was served separately. It was quite a success.

4E3BA2E3-0A33-4A95-8643-5CBFB8529C7B.thumb.jpeg.f0eddc4e1c5ac9927741e791e9f2e0f6.jpeg

My fathers had thirds and asked to take some of the remaining stock home 😊

7203545F-CA14-4676-8E65-CC9509270710.thumb.jpeg.e3f78988292cd7cdb81a6229618dcb91.jpeg

Looks fantastic - I've been jonesing for some asian chicken soup lately - personally, I've been leaning towards an Indonesian soto ayam, but I certainly wouldn't turn down your pho ga!

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, KennethT said:

Looks fantastic - I've been jonesing for some asian chicken soup lately - personally, I've been leaning towards an Indonesian soto ayam, but I certainly wouldn't turn down your pho ga!

I hear you - Soto Ayam was one the choices I gave them, while the final one was Kotteri Tori Ramen (like Tenkaippin). I supplied them with pictures and short descriptions, and after conversation over dinner I think they chose Pho because it didn’t contain egg (which seemingly they had plenty for breakfast during their holiday).

My wife and son would have gone for the Ramen while I was actually also thinking Pho or Soto Ayam because I wanted something spicy …

• Like 3

Inspired by @liamsaunt and @Margaret Pilgrim, I pulled Spot Prawns out of the freezer this morning before leaving for work.

1423744899_PappardellewithgrilledprawnsOctober22nd2021.thumb.jpg.577e0ddf10c7f11eb2ee97f199479529.jpg

Made Pappardelle with a simple tomato garlic basil sauce and grilled the prawns. (cast iron grill pan).

I wasn't really in the mood for prawns so I just had pasta.

• Like 13
  • Delicious 4

21 minutes ago, Ann_T said:

Inspired by @liamsaunt and @Margaret Pilgrim, I pulled Spot Prawns out of the freezer this morning before leaving for work.

1423744899_PappardellewithgrilledprawnsOctober22nd2021.thumb.jpg.577e0ddf10c7f11eb2ee97f199479529.jpg

Made Pappardelle with a simple tomato garlic basil sauce and grilled the prawns. (cast iron grill pan).

I wasn't really in the mood for prawns so I just had pasta.

Pasta looks delicious!

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou