• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2021

liuzhou

35 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

My taste buds have no eyes.   

Though Nik Sharma denotes Flavor as Emotion, Sight, Sound, Mouthfeel, Aroma, Taste.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Dinner10252021.jpg

I am ashamed to offer leftovers to my eGullet companions.  However serving crisp-braised duck legs over Rancho Gordo Corona beans elevates the dish to the category of one of the finest things I have eaten.

Dessert is a reprise of last night's Nik Sharma blueberry Omani lime ice cream:

BlueberryOmani10242021.jpg

• Like 17
  • Delicious 6

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

12 hours ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Papperdelle with hens-of-the-woods mushrooms.

580794817_ScreenShot2021-10-24at5_18_47PM.png.fffd9555508cb0e1a26ae624d2da0d36.png

Awesome!  Maitake's are delicious and are still on my bucket list to find in the wild!  Base of Oak tree's, from what those in the know have to say...

Friends often request an item from our previous career in our family restaurant. This time, it was #31: Boneless Almond Chicken. My favourite part was the gravy soaked lettuce!

1517396196_Soos315545-Copy.jpg.ef3555f0dfdfb91a0112f9427a28c798.jpg

Had 2 chicken fillets left from #31, so we had it next night with stir-fried veg from the crisper, and Cavendish fries

845528772_ChickenChips5555.jpg.920d67c9ea8f66fa68d9840c19533d29.jpg

A quick trip to Winnipeg brought Cheung Fun (rice rolls) and Char Siu. A real quick supper!

477164434_CharSiuCheungFun5547.jpg.e88fdbfd4556fcfc2529f8fc89551bd7.jpg

House cleaning day - Instant Pot came in handy with Coconut Curry Chicken. Used a whole cut-up chicken, so had lots to share with our bachelor neighbor! My favourite part: the celery!

1035684012_CoconutCurryChicken5557.jpg.92f6f56b7caeab388c61c7f16d44c964.jpg

• Like 14
  • Delicious 2

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

@Dejah 

i agree w you :

' brown ' gravy over very crisp iceberg

( w the chicken breaded , as above )

in an unexpected treat .

while the iceberg is very crisp

wait too long and the iceberg looses its crispness :

drunk.jpeg.060f4739ac09175a936aa27992d6b935.jpeg

• Like 3

Leftover “Ramen” on the assembly line. Pho Ga stock (unsalted), amped up with tare from the freezer, with SV chicken (briefly fried and coated in a teriyaki-ish sauce), an 6.3 min egg and some smoked tofu. Dried wakame under the pasta. Chives & nori for the visual appeal …

125FEB81-1579-4F21-88E3-8A18EDBD08CC.thumb.jpeg.05862cd11bb9900c69c37932843d2b00.jpeg

No complaints.

• Like 15
  • Delicious 1

@Shelby – May I place an order for fries and some ribs, please?  They look amazing!  And I’ll have a piece of pie for dessert. 

@gulfporterHappy Anniversary!  Bête Noir, along with Crème Brulee, is Mr. Kim’s favorite dessert and one he requests for his birthday fairly often. 

@Dejah – a fan of gravy on cold crunchy lettuce here, too!  I used to get something they called Wor Shu Opp in a favorite, and sadly closed, restaurant when I was in college.  They served it on shredded lettuce, and I loved a bite of lettuce, brown gravy, and duck!

We are trying to get Jessica packed up for her (temporary, I pray) move into our house.  So, not a lot of dinner cooking going on.  Canned soup, quick sandwiches, and take out pizza seems to be most common. 

I did finally serve the baked spaghetti that I kept back out of the batch I made to send to Jessica’s friend’s family:

IMG_7257.jpg.103ca5021b9340fc2d0904c7b9c62a70.jpg

Served with Poppaw’s “Italian” green beans:

IMG_7258.jpg.db37b0b63b3e7974e46e009470518c06.jpg

I’ve probably told this story before, but I’ll tell it again for the new folks.  Poppaw was my Italian great-grandfather.  He was born about a month after his family arrived on the boat from Italy.  His wife (my great-grandmother) was half Italian and half Irish.  Everyone (until my mother) in this line were terrible cooks.  Momma and I used to say that we inherited the broad Italian butt, but no cooking skills from them.  Anyway, when Poppaw was in charge of feeding me and my cousins, it would be gummy pasta, canned Chef Boyardee spaghetti sauce and these green beans: whole green beans – cold from the can – bathed in bottled Italian dressing.  I now warm them up, but other than that they are still one of my favorite ways to eat green beans. 

Saturday was SV pork chops with a Dijon-Cream sauce, red cabbage (jarred) and tiny steamed potatoes:

IMG_7273.jpg.35d51519509daec908ce64e9f673dfc5.jpg

Rounded out with raw veggies, marinated cucumbers, and some really good bread from our favorite Richmond bakery, Sub Rosa:

IMG_7270.jpg.40ff494a57bfcdde0be9af48899c6b5c.jpg

IMG_7271.thumb.jpg.14924214d7ae2e67c077056fad777fd7.jpg

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2
  • Delicious 1

I made a recipe for Ranch Fried Chicken. No Hidden Valley was in the recipe and the Ranch sauce was on the side.  When I was posting the recipe, I noticed some of the original recipe was missing and I didn't remember where I had seen it. It took quite a while to find out that someone had posted a Cooks Country recipe without giving them credit. I didn't find that persons recipe again but I found it posted by someone else and they did give credit for it. We really liked it. If I had known ahead that it was from Cooks Country, I probably would not have liked it so much  😁 Charlie suggested adding some powdered Ranch dressing to the seasoning mix but it was already frying by then. Maybe next time.  I am pretty sure there will be a next time.  It was boneless, skinless thighs with buttermilk, dill, garlic, chives and vinegar in the liquid coating and the same seasonings in the flour.

20211025_143331.jpg

20211025_143519.jpg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2

3 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

these green beans: whole green beans – cold from the can – bathed in bottled Italian dressing.

I love this story!!!!

I'll be trying this for sure.  I have a zillion jars of beans that I canned still downstairs.  Not complaining but doing something new with them will be fun :) 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

蚂蚁上树 (mǎ yǐ shǎng shù), usually translated as "Ants Climbing a Tree". This is a beef version, not that that would be "inauthentic"; Sichuan cooks do both pork and beef versions.

Ingredients. Glass noodles, minced beef, garlic, Shaoxing wine, light soy sauce, dark soy sauce, doubanjiang, chicken stock (beef stock would have been better, but chicken was what I had) scallions. Most of the scallions are lurking in the undergrowth in my image.

954941094_.thumb.jpg.ba431cfbd622456516d6ea0f23e07e81.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 12
  • Delicious 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

17 minutes ago, Tropicalsenior said:

That's a pretty ambitious dish for a one-armed cook.

It's easier than it looks. Mincing the meat was the most difficult as it was hand done. Normally, I do it with two cleavers using my best Ringo impersonation technique. But I had great fun chasing bits of beef around the kitchen!

• Haha 4

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

We also had monkfish last night.  My fish share included instructions on how to take the membrane off in the email that announced what we were getting this week.  They've never done that before so I wonder if some people didn't know you had to remove it and complained about the texture on prior deliveries.  I find that if the monkfish is more than a day or so old, the membrane is a pain to remove, but the monkfish we get in the fish share is so fresh that it comes right off. 

I roasted it with some cherry tomatoes, garlic, shallots, and olives and served it over linguine with a piece of homemade focaccia toasted and rubbed with garlic.

1953745983_monkfishpomodoro.thumb.jpg.b90e4ed411a834cd84fa45a929ac3373.jpg

• Like 9
  • Delicious 3