Jump to content
  • Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2020


JoNorvelleWalker
 Share

Recommended Posts

On 8/14/2020 at 2:21 AM, MetsFan5 said:

@BKEats I have that same bacon in my fridge. 
 

   Is it similar to the actual bacon served at Lugers? I was going to grill it in the BGE but maybe it’s not as thick as the bacon while dining at Lugers. 

 

The bacon is delicious, it's smoky and it's thick but, it's definitely not the bacon they serve there... Your best bet is to buy slab bacon and cut it yourself... I use to buy the schaller and weber slab bacon... Maybe ask for a 2 pound chunk.. Then you can cut  1 inch  slices, or have them do it at the butcher.  But, yeh, the lugers bacon is much closer to an inch or more thick, where this is just thick bacon.  the commercial package is like 2 ounces per piece..  Or an 1/8th of a pound, i would guess you want at least 2.5 to 3 x's that.. 

 

This is lugers restaurat:

 

50228877757_88fa33f0c4_z.jpg

 

maybe three times or 2.5 times bigger.. .So, I would guess each slice of bacon is like 5 to 6 ounces.. 

 

50222319552_7780bfeb2a_z.jpg

 

Edited by BKEats (log)
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, BKEats said:

I use to buy the schaller and weber slab bacon...

 

The Schaller and Weber bacon is really good - I like the double smoked in slabs!

 

1268419154_Rawtomatoesforsauce08-14.jpeg.fdddd73441de367c320e9bc2cd254c5d.jpeg

 

Makings of a raw tomato, herb, and olive oil "sauce."

 

1838744905_Pastaanellirigati.jpeg.238dd0f1b62ee82b5b2bb1ea64eb42f4.jpeg

 

I didn't have the "right" pasta for this sauce; in my mind, it demands a fusilli/gemelli shape, or even spaghetti (which I didn't want to muss with). But I had a bag of these anelli rigati, little ridged rings, so I figured I'd try them. They generally are used for soups or even pasta salads.

 

750829301_Pastarawtomatosauce08-14.jpeg.c6b9d6730606bbd316a305022abb55ed.jpeg

 

But they worked just fine for dinner last night. With my classic summer sauté (this summer) of corn and yellow squash with scallions and chives.

 

Anelli rigate with raw tomato/herb sauce and parmigiano-reggiano.

  • Like 14
  • Delicious 3

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, weinoo said:

didn't have the "right" pasta for this sauce; in my mind, it demands a fusilli/gemelli shape, or even spaghetti (which I didn't want to muss with). But I had a bag of these anelli rigati, little ridged rings, so I figured I'd try them. They generally are used for soups or even pasta salads.

 

They're adorable. What's not to like? Simple raw tomato sauce is my favorite, and getting more play as I get lazier. Olive oil is always good, but have you tried it with butter? Chop tomatoes. Salt and let sit fifteen minutes or half an hour. Apply lots of  butter to hot pasta with a splash of pasta water. Add tomatoes and juices. Good god I love butter. 

  • Like 5
  • Delicious 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

For some years I lived on 84th St. had Schaller and Weber around the corner. It was the only place I could find lard at the time...

 

Lazy dinner again. Short ribs, bruschetta and broccoli 😁

CBF8E3E3-7FA6-4BE7-8BD7-C59EF3095F65.jpeg

A9185212-DFAD-4CEE-904D-056603129F38.jpeg

C8799AB0-F052-46F7-818D-80B7823C233A.jpeg

Edited by Franci (log)
  • Like 16
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Katie Meadow said:

Chop tomatoes. Salt and let sit fifteen minutes or half an hour. Apply lots of  butter to hot pasta with a splash of pasta water. Add tomatoes and juices. Good god I love butter. 

This sounds like dinner tonight.   We just stopped at our Lodi tomato man.   Heading home.

  • Like 2

eGullet member #80.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, weinoo said:

 

The Schaller and Weber bacon is really good - I like the double smoked in slabs!

 

1268419154_Rawtomatoesforsauce08-14.jpeg.fdddd73441de367c320e9bc2cd254c5d.jpeg

 

Makings of a raw tomato, herb, and olive oil "sauce."

 

1838744905_Pastaanellirigati.jpeg.238dd0f1b62ee82b5b2bb1ea64eb42f4.jpeg

 

I didn't have the "right" pasta for this sauce; in my mind, it demands a fusilli/gemelli shape, or even spaghetti (which I didn't want to muss with). But I had a bag of these anelli rigati, little ridged rings, so I figured I'd try them. They generally are used for soups or even pasta salads.

 

750829301_Pastarawtomatosauce08-14.jpeg.c6b9d6730606bbd316a305022abb55ed.jpeg

 

But they worked just fine for dinner last night. With my classic summer sauté (this summer) of corn and yellow squash with scallions and chives.

 

Anelli rigate with raw tomato/herb sauce and parmigiano-reggiano.

 

I love the pasta shape, though I can imagine why you'd prefer another.

I also love a good salsa cruda. I often make a dish of linguine in creamy pureed sirene cheese with raw tomatoes, olive oil, basil, mint and garlic.

  • Like 1

~ Shai N.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, TicTac said:

Ventured to my local Japanese fish monger...he had some gorgeous King salmon and wild ocean trout.  F4DD2167-3BE8-49EE-83AB-A6BEDACE3E08.thumb.jpeg.1e2fd464d02188ce41816ef7df70c720.jpeg
 

with my favourite broiled hamachi collar 

C7F5B5BF-E11F-42CD-8D31-7290B0B3913E.thumb.jpeg.a965e335b61473ef44ef6e93965f15b3.jpeg

 

 

 

Beautiful fish. I am a collar and cheek lover. Jealous but lovely to look at.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Chicken marsala without mushrooms, but not on purpose.  I know I bought them, but when I went to pull them from the fridge, they were nowhere to be found.  Not in the trunk either, so I must have left them at the checkout counter.  Made with chicken tenders, floured and pan-fried in a little EVOO.  Served with steamed squash.

 

chicken-marsala2.jpg.849385a59a0059d0fe1885f8a173c21c.jpg

 

Dessert was blueberry "pie" made in small ramekins without crust (that was on purpose).  Made with fresh blueberries, weight watchers friendly with unsweetened apple sauce as the main thickening agent, and 1 tbs of sugar and cornstarch for all 6 ramekins.  Ended up 1 point per ramekin, and they were quite tasty.

 

blueberry3.jpg.98f9918e9b537f8de29e85cfd6f4a770.jpg

 

 

Also a glass of Lodi Zin.

 

Edited by mgaretz (log)
  • Like 11
  • Delicious 1

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, heidih said:

Beautiful fish. I am a collar and cheek lover. Jealous but lovely to look at.

They were really fresh (just came in this morning).  I too love cheeks.  Halibut are probably my favorite, but only available at a few locations around the city.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Had a couple boneless skinless chicken thighs.  Some brown mushrooms and a bag of cut kale dictated the direction.  

Started the thighs in the Darto pan stove top.  Added sliced mushrooms and kale and popped the pan in the oven to finish.   Pulled at 170f.   A quick tomato, pepper and mango salad was made


 

5D0ED3FA-51EE-46AC-96CC-3E9BD709C629.jpeg

96F1C2F5-00DF-4E60-9DD5-B24D0A53CCB5.jpeg

  • Like 13
  • Delicious 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, mgaretz said:

Chicken marsala without mushrooms, but not on purpose.  I know I bought them, but when I went to pull them from the fridge, they were nowhere to be found.  Not in the trunk either, so I must have left them at the checkout counter.  Made with chicken tenders, floured and pan-fried in a little EVOO.  Served with steamed squash.

 

 

On the squash -  steamed does bring out the subtle sweetness, but have you ever done it thin sliced on a foil lined sheet pan (bit of olive oil) and broiled briefly . My favorite. Can be tossed with a little fresh garlic and torn mint for oomph before serving. Thank you Melissa Clark. And NO clean up.  https://www.glamour.com/story/dinner-tonight-zucchini-can-be

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Clafoutis of lightly roasted zucchini and blistered cherry tomatoes with chevre, Parmesan and herbs (thyme, oregano, tarragon, rosemary), garlic, pepper.

Green beans sauteed in butter, lemon zest, a decent amount of garlic, some vinegar, nutmeg, pepper and finished with toasted almonds and walnuts.

Semi-dry rose.

 

IMG_20200811_221434.jpg

IMG_20200811_222242.jpg

Edited by shain (log)
  • Like 11
  • Delicious 1

~ Shai N.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

dinner last night.

Grilled steelhead trout with delicata squash agrodolce. The squash is roasted with olive oil and salt and then marinated in a sauce of red wine vinegar, water, chili flake, thinly sliced raw garlic, red onion and olive oil. add the hot squash to the sauce in the platter and top with fresh mint and fresh basil.

IMG_2021.jpg

IMG_2020.jpg

  • Like 10
  • Delicious 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...