• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

10 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@Nicolai 

what is the cheese w the purple-ish inclusions ?

this one [edited]:

thisone.jpg.1c7b40ebc6814e59934d6073855b5d2f.jpg

Well spotted, after a hard night I was a bit perplexed why they have Roquefort for breakfast and was straightened by the Governor that it is the Wensleydale & Cranberries.

https://somerdale.com/product/somerdale-wensleydale-cranberries/

It is a delightful cheese that we both like and enjoy when home in London. We also like the Apricots version. Both are great for breakfast and afternoon tea.

• Like 2
14 minutes ago, heidih said:

@Nicolai I like the look of rambutan. Do you prefer them to lychee or ? I prefer both ice cold on a hot day.  Nice "breakfast" spread. 

Lychee has a deeper taste which I like. The Governor prefers the Rambutan and I oblige.

One of my preferred fruits is Mangosteen.

• Like 1
45 minutes ago, Nicolai said:

Lychee has a deeper taste which I like. The Governor prefers the Rambutan and I oblige.

One of my preferred fruits is Mangosteen.

One pick one's battles ;) Never had the pleasure of mangosteen. I like the description that it has a tart element. Sometimes the "exotics can be too one note sweet for me, Then again I live in Los Angeles where the street fruit cart vendors hand you a packet of chile/salt/citric acid or a lime wedge when you buy a cup. They also include cucumber.

An Ode to the Fruit Carts of Los Angeles | Fruit stands, Fruit, New fruit

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

"Jerusalem salad" as it came to be called in our house. Tomatoes, cucumbers, onion. Warm chickpeas and egg. Olive oil, lemon, parsley. Tahini sauce, sumac, zaatar. Crisp simit (or more often croutons).

PXL_20200903_183151194.jpg

PXL_20200903_183220903.jpg

• Like 10
  • Delicious 1

~ Shai N.

@blue_dolphin – those poached eggs are my poached egg goal!  They look perfectly cooked – nice, gooey yolks and completely cooked whites.  And it doesn’t look like you’ve lost much white to the poaching water!

Breakfast this morning was a freezer gift:

IMG_3390.jpg.81643775e066f2cbcf241d4bba922b5f.jpg

My MIL’s Hot Cross Buns.  The “cross” had become brittle and fallen off and the buns were too warm to pipe on a cross, so I just blobbed on some icing.  Hot Blob Buns?  These freeze so well.  It was like she brought them to us yesterday. 

• Like 3
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 1

In our little part of the world we don't have a Mcdonalds, and sometimes thats all that you want to fix the leftovers of the night before. 

So every now and then my husband arrives home in the early hours of the AM and hands his ever patient (ha!) Wife a pack of muffins and sausages... 🙄😂

20200912_090734.thumb.jpg.de76e4a10c7d24dfffcc30a7cd219f66.jpg

• Like 7

Vegetable salad - tomato, cucumber, onion, spring onion, chilies. Tahini, lime, fish sauce, peanuts, crisp peas, puffed rice, fried shallots. Eggs.

PXL_20200907_100927198.thumb.jpg.10433589dca4659bb31de2604a23eaf2.jpg

• Like 4

~ Shai N.

Scrapple that was seared in cast iron and finished cooking in CSO steam bake 350 degrees alongside the tomatoes.  Scrambled eggs.

7CA8E60D-2D27-404B-8600-D0C9EFF0069A.thumb.jpeg.8ce7488f7007bbf4d3c49674179f2201.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Delicious 1

Sort of shakshuka of fire roasted vegetables (onion, chilies, tomatoes), chickpeas, some spices (garlic, coriander, cumin). Feta. Grilled pita bread.

PXL_20200904_132905222.jpg

PXL_20200904_133233382.jpg

• Like 6
  • Delicious 1

~ Shai N.

3 hours ago, chefmd said:

Scrapple that was seared in cast iron and finished cooking in CSO steam bake 350 degrees alongside the tomatoes.  Scrambled eggs.

7CA8E60D-2D27-404B-8600-D0C9EFF0069A.thumb.jpeg.8ce7488f7007bbf4d3c49674179f2201.jpeg

Haven't had the chance to try scrapple yet, but yours looks like something I'd try. Eggs & tomato look good.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
On 9/12/2020 at 4:16 PM, shain said:

Vegetable salad - tomato, cucumber, onion, spring onion, chilies. Tahini, lime, fish sauce, peanuts, crisp peas, puffed rice, fried shallots. Eggs.

PXL_20200907_100927198.thumb.jpg.10433589dca4659bb31de2604a23eaf2.jpg

Shain, your breakfasts are amazing!! 

• Thanks 1

@weinoo – that lox breakfast looks perfect to me.  Exactly the right amount of lox on the bagel and the bread.  Whenever we went for breakfast with my mom, she would order lox and bagels and get them to put an extra bagel in a bag for her.  She’d take half of the lox and the extras off the bagel she was eating and put them on the bagel she was taking.  It gave her lunch, dinner, or a snack later.  She wasn’t cheap – they just put on too much for her taste! 

@chefmd – seeing as I grew up in NOVA and spent vacation times on the eastern shore – mostly MD and DE, it seems so odd that I’ve never tasted scrapple.  I’d like to, though.  Is it mushy inside when it is heated?  That’s what stopped me from enjoying Spam when I finally tasted it.  I actually liked the flavor and the crisp crust, but the insides were mushy and hot and that texture just put me off. 

@Ann_T – your cheese biscuits are absolutely, positively perfect and, as a fellow cook, I’m awash with admiration.  As a Southerner, I’m a tad jealous. 😁

On Friday, I tried out a new recipe - Coconut Sour-Cherry Granola:

IMG_3391.jpg.4fd663490912a5f96ccb29c09784acf3.jpg

This is supposedly the same granola that NYC restaurant Eleven Madison Park gives to customers at the end of their meal for breakfast the next morning:

IMG_3395.thumb.jpg.6fdda377048a6043150f7dce6c6b6634.jpg

Really good.  Not super sweet.  It contains sour cherries, pepitas, pistachios, coconut, maple syrup, and – interestingly – EVOO.  It made enough to share:

IMG_3393.jpg.a51eca3f367cbc971429b3fa1909880e.jpg

Mr. Kim’s brother is in town to visit their dad and stepmom and came by for a quick, masked, socially distant breakfast visit and to pick up the food that I’d make for them.  I served fruit salad:

IMG_3402.jpg.2dca9ba08689658c5831d4c3fe8d7c12.jpg

Strawberries, pineapple, grapes, mandarin oranges.  Scrambled eggs:

IMG_3405.jpg.b0ede5694164d33345802cfb079d67b7.jpg

Served right from the pan – family style!

Tomato Jam and Benton’s Bacon Bruschetta:

IMG_3404.jpg.78814a6d9d8bbb6f63a2f368ce4739a8.jpg

This is one of those easy, delicious things that I forget to make.    

Sunday before church (parking lot, masked, socially distant service):

IMG_3413.jpg.a10e1bc45b92b65d3a4a4fa0170b7792.jpg

Bread machine white bread, toasted, and leftover fruit salad. 

After church, Mr. Kim, Jessica, and I took a drive on the Blue Ridge Parkway.  Stopped on our way out of town at one of our favorite bagel joints for Hobbit’s breakfast.  Jessica had a salt bagel with scallion cream cheese (no picture).  I had an ET with bacon, egg, and cheese:

IMG_3417.jpg.a32554852d1617b137329b7c21e8e99f.jpg

Mr. Kim had something that I would have never thought to order and was absolutely fantastic – a chicken, egg, and cheese on a salt bagel:

IMG_3418.jpg.73ca2aa407fede36a4f24d84331b2eee.jpg

Only issue was that I wanted to go over to the deli up the street and get a biscuit to put that chicken on.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2
5 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

@weinoo – that lox breakfast looks perfect to me.  Exactly the right amount of lox on the bagel and the bread.  Whenever we went for breakfast with my mom, she would order lox and bagels and get them to put an extra bagel in a bag for her.  She’d take half of the lox and the extras off the bagel she was eating and put them on the bagel she was taking.  It gave her lunch, dinner, or a snack later.  She wasn’t cheap – they just put on too much for her taste! 

It's the American sandwich dilemma. Putting too much stuff inside the bread, instead of focusing on good bread. Or a good bagel.

Don't forget, bagels were not (in the old days) meant to be eaten as sandwiches.  They were always eaten one horizontal half at a time, topped with a schmear and whatever else.

• Like 3

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Exactly right...open faced bagel, I put a piece of lettuce on top just to have something to rest my finger on rather than squishing into the lox!

• Like 1

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

3 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

@chefmd – seeing as I grew up in NOVA and spent vacation times on the eastern shore – mostly MD and DE, it seems so odd that I’ve never tasted scrapple.  I’d like to, though.  Is it mushy inside when it is heated?  That’s what stopped me from enjoying Spam when I finally tasted it.  I actually liked the flavor and the crisp crust, but the insides were mushy and hot and that texture just put me off. 

I would describe inside of scrapple as custardy.  I suppose some may say that it is mushy.  I like it very much.  I think Aldi has the best price if you have one near by.  I freeze left over slices two per package for future use.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
On 9/13/2020 at 12:52 PM, MokaPot said:

Haven't had the chance to try scrapple yet, but yours looks like something I'd try. Eggs & tomato look good.

Have a Scrapple story if I can be excused for inserting it into an otherwise legitimate thread. 

Friends came from Delaware to the Annual Dog Weekend with 2 huge blocks of Scrapple for us all to try for the Saturday morning breakfast.  We are a very long-time and varied group from North America held together by our one-time ownership of Epileptic dogs going back into the 1990s and we meet every year with our current dogs in August and stay at the farm.  

Sheila cooked the Scrapple on her electric frying pan which she had brought along for that purpose and we all...dug...in...sort of....  OMG.  What awful stuff.  The dogs ate under the table very well that morning.  They loved it. 

I will never ever eat anything which is grey and square.

• Haha 5

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

Life in the Meadows and Rivers

Cheers & Chocolates

• Similar Content

• By curls
      Couldn't find a topic devoted to sourdough discard cooking, so thought I would start one and see how much interest it would generate. Moderators, if there is a topic, please merge.

Recently I have begun making sourdough bread and am caring for a sourdough starter. Since there is currently some difficulty finding flour (due to COVID-19 related supply chain issues, etc.) I don't want to throw out any of my sourdough starter. I am also following guidance from King Arthur Flour and Cooks Illustrated for working with a small sourdough starter (10 g. flour | 10 g. water | 10 g. sourdough starter) and using recipes that use smaller amounts of sourdough starter or only building my starter up if called for by a recipe.

I have made the following recipes and would make them again:
      - King Arthur Flour sourdough discard crumpets. https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/sourdough-crumpets-recipe
      - King Arthur Flour sourdough discard waffles. I used a mix of yogurt & milk instead of buttermilk but otherwise made the recipe as written.  https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/classic-sourdough-waffles-or-pancakes-recipe

What are you doing with your sourdough discard?
    • By Smokeydoke
      After a delightful brunch at Koslow's Sqirl restaurant in Los Angeles, I've decided to attempt to cook through her cookbook. I'll post my results here.

Please follow along and join in, if you're so inclined. Her food is wonderful, but I will surmise that her true deliciousness comes from using the best and freshest ingredients. I'll do my best to recreate the magic I felt at Sqirl.

Here's the link to her book at Eat Your Books.
    • By Bhukhhad
      Breakfast in India vs Breakfast in our homes outside India
      My breakfasts have varied from the time I started to cook for myself instead of just enjoying my Mother’s cooking. At first they were a mix-match of meal fixings, or just dinner leftovers. Or the good old breakfast cereal and milk. But as the years passed and I was more organized, the meals I enjoyed in my Mother’s home began to swim in my memories. And I began to prepare those for my family. However, I am no amazonian chef, so depending on  the hectic nature of the days plans, I switched back and forth from convenience with taste, to elaborate and of course tasty breakfasts. We do have both vegetarian and non vegetarian foods but Indian breakfasts will mostly be vegetarian. 
      So here are some of the things I might make: 

1. Poha as in mostly ‘kande pohe’.
      2. Cheela/ Pudla
      3. Masala toast
      4. Indian Omelette
      5. Handwo piece
      6. Thepla
      7. Vaghareli rotli
      8. Dhokla chutney
      9. Idli sambhar
      10. Leftover sabji
      11. Muthiya
      12. Khakhra
      13. Upma
      14. Paratha

1. Kande Pohe: 
      The dish derives its name from Maharashtra where the Kande Pohe are celebrated as breakfast. They can of course like any breakfast, be eaten at any time. 
      Pohe/ Poha are steamed rice grains that have been beaten flat and then again redried. So they are like Rice flakes. Except they are hand pounded, so have a knobbly texture. 
      You get several varieties in the market. I prefer the thick white variety. 

1 cup dry poha per person
      1 medium onion sliced
      1/2 jalapeno deseeded
      1 sprig curry leaves
      2 small garlic cloves
      1/4 t cumin seeds
      1/2 lemon 
      1/8 t asafoetida
      1/4 t turmeric
      small handful of cilantro leaves
      1T fresh grated coconut
      2 T Peanut oil 
      salt to taste
      sugar to taste

In a pan heat some oil and add cumin seeds. When the seeds sputter, add sliced onions and stir. Saute on medium heat till they turn slightly browned here and there. Do not burn the onions. 
      Meanwhile wash the Poha in a colander and drain. Do this two or three times to get rid of any dirt and also to allow them to rehydrate. They do not need soaking. Fluff the poha with a fork. Add salt sugar turmeric asafoetida and chopped cilantro. Mix and set aside. 
      Once the onions are ready add minced garlic and chopped jalapeno along with the curry leaf sprig. 
      Turn the heat to low and add the poha mixture. Stir to coat and to allow the turmeric and asafoetida to cook. The poha will turn mildly yellow and start giving a wonderful fragrance. 
      Turn off the heat. Fluff gently and plate. Garnish with fresh grated coconut and a squeeze of lemon juice. 
      Finger licking good!! 
      Now when I make this next I will post a picture. 
      Update: Ok I felt the urge to have Kande Pohe for tonight’s dinner. So here is a picture. I am certain to enjoy it for breakfast as well. The measurement of 1 cup poha per person is too much for one meal. But carried over to another meal thats super good! I will also have some stir fried bok choy greens made in the same kadhai after the poha was done, and some cooked and sliced beetroot for salad. My family will add some haldiram sev on the poha for extra crunch! And we will all have some chaas to round off this meal. 

2. Cheela/ Pudla

These are essentially crepes but in the Indian style. 
      1/2 cup sieved garbanzo bean (Besan) flour. 
      Water to form a thin batter
      1T plain yogurt 
      1/2 t ginger garlic paste 
      1/4 or less green chili crushed
      2 t heated oil *
      pinch asafoetida
      pinch turmeric 
      salt to taste
      chopped cilantro (two sprigs)
      some ‘masala’ from a readymade pickle

Method:

mix the ingredients together except oil. Heat oil in a separate pan and add about 1 to 2 t of the hot oil onto the batter. It will sizzle. Use a whisk to stir thoroughly. The batter should be pouring consistency. 
      Let the batter soak for about half an hour if possible. 
      On a hot griddle, pour a ladle full of the batter. Turn the griddle with your wrist to spread the batter around. Cook on moderate to high flame. Flip the crepe when all the sides look like they are ready. You can add a little oil to the sides of the frying pan to make the edges crispy. 

In my home we usually have a Besan cheela with some yogurt its a quick and filling breakfast. You can have a small salad or fruit with it to make it more complete. Or fill the center of the cheela with some cottage cheese and fold for added creaminess! 
      3. Masala Toast : 

1 slice of bread (your choice) toasted
      1/2 small red onion minced
      1 medium roma tomato diced (or whatever you have)
      cilantro (few leaves)
      1/8 t cumin (optional)
      1/4 t chaat masala ( available in stores)
      1 inch cube paneer
      1 T peanut oil
      pinch turmeric (optional)

Heat the oil in a pan and saute the onions. Add the tomato and cook down to mush. Crumble the paneer and add the dry spices. Stir for a few seconds to warm the paneer. Add the cilantro and though I have not written it as an ingredient, I like a few drops of lemon juice. Do not overcook paneer.
      I started this topic because someone asked for Indian recipes on the new forum. I don’t think they have seen any yet. I hope they find this useful. I am enjoying it. 

I will add recipes to the list slowly. I have to however add that after a certain ‘age’ I have now resorted to having to make sure I have three things for breakfast besides coffee: a glass of water, a small portion of fruit and a small portion of some protein not necessarily meat. 
      Bhukkhad

• By liuzhou
      First breakfast of the year, on a freezing morning. 三鲜馄饨 (sān xiān hún tún) Home made three taste wontons (pork, shrimp and shiitake) in a spicy broth.

Photos taken through a filter of steam.

• By Lisa Shock
      I developed this recipe for a friend who wound up with many cans of Solo brand apricot filling and was wondering what to make with them. I adapted this recipe from Rose Levy Beranbaum's Sour Cream Coffee Cake, found on page 90 of the Cake Bible. The apricot filling works it way down through the cake and winds up near the bottom of the pan, making an attractive top later when the cake is inverted. Please use some sort of ring pan that holds at least 9 cups. You may substitute butter for the toasted almond oil, but remember that the oil adds flavor. I specifically developed this recipe with the home cook in mind, regular salted butter, and AP flour work well here. To reduce the sodium, use unsalted butter.  

Ingredients
      113 grams (1 stick) salted butter
      26 grams toasted almond oil
      200 grams sugar
      6 grams vanilla extract
      4 egg yolks
      160 grams regular sour cream (do not use low fat or fat free)
      50 grams almond meal
      175 grams all-purpose flour
      2 1/2 grams baking powder
      2 1/2 grams baking soda
      12 ounces (1 can) Solo Apricot Filling

12 Servings
      Preheat the oven to 350°
      Spray a 9+ cup tube or Bundt pan with non-stick spray or grease with an oil & soy lecithin blend.

Lightly toast the almond meal in a frying pan on the stove top until it has a light beige color and has a mild fragrance. Allow to cool.

Cream together the butter, oil, and sugar. Add the vanilla and egg yolks, mix until the mixture is even and creamy. Add the sour cream and mix well. Add the cooled almond flour and mix well.

Sift together the flour, baking powder and baking soda. Add the dry ingredients to the liquid mixture and mix until it everything is evenly incorporated. Do not overmix the batter.

Place 2/3 of the batter evenly in the prepared pan. Place the apricot filling in an even layer on top, keeping a small space between the filling and the pan's edges. Place the remaining batter on top and smooth to create a relatively even surface.

Bake for approximately 50 minutes at 350° or until the top is dark brown and springs back to a light touch.

Allow to cool for 15 minutes. Invert the pan onto a serving plate. Cool and serve. Be cautious about serving this hot, as the apricot filling can cause serious burns. When fully cooled, cover or wrap in plastic wrap to store. Will keep for several days in a cool, dry place.

Nutrition (thanks MasterCook!) 
      324 calories, 15g fat, (7g sat fat, 6g mono-unsat fat, 1g ploy-unsat fat), 5g protein, 43g carbohydrates, 175mg sodium, 101mg potassium,  58g calcium
      42% calories from fat, 52% calories from carbohydrates, 6% calories from protein