• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

8 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Judge not!

I judge it one of my favourite comfort meals. Eggs and chips what could be better?

• Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

eggs and potatoes go extremely well together

the Spanish National Omelette  ( Tortilla Española  )

eggs , potatoes   ( just s few onions )   

nothing more

would be better w EggYolks   on top though

• Like 2
On 10/13/2020 at 10:07 AM, blue_dolphin said:

Grilled pear & gorgonzola with a drizzle of hot honey.  

IMG_3156.thumb.jpeg.52f6cd01de92d3445216ad3f6e5f6abb.jpeg

This looks ridiculously good. Food I'd be willing to get fat for.

By 'hot honey' are you talking temperature or is it chili-infused? Both sound amazing.

• Like 1

PastaMeshugana

"The roar of the greasepaint, the smell of the crowd."

"What's hunger got to do with anything?" - My Father

My eG Food Blog (2011)

4 minutes ago, pastameshugana said:

This looks ridiculously good. Food I'd be willing to get fat for.

By 'hot honey' are you talking temperature or is it chili-infused? Both sound amazing.

Thanks!  The 'hot' is chili-infused.  Julia Turshen has a recipe for Spicy Honey in her book Small Victories that's pretty much the same thing as Mike's Hot Honey, and that's what I used. In addition to chiles, both have a bit of vinegar added. 

@blue_dolphin – those are some of the most gorgeous figs I’ve ever seen.  And I’ve printed out a piece of paper with these words: “Grilled pear and gorgonzola.  Blue_Dolphin dinner thread 10/13/2020”. 😁

Some recent breakfasts:

IMG_3740.thumb.jpg.f3cb065c450e637d47150dbf102b6a22.jpg

IMG_3771.jpg.e58eea6c23942dc9285acb034bbdd34a.jpg

IMG_3787.jpg.c6e3aaabcd0a9de90b7a9716f78375ae.jpg

Grapes and cinnamon raisin toast – one buttered and one with (crunchy ) PB.

• Like 4
  • Delicious 1

Yesterday, I came across this oddity. It is 黑豆原酿酱油 (hēi dòu yuán niàng jiàng yóu), which means "black bean soy sauce". Regular soy sauce is made from yellow soy beans, but this from black soy beans. I'd never seen it before and friends I have consulted are equally baffled.

1579350328_blackbeansoysauce2.thumb.jpg.c6acd255f2c6bb72df7a8bd1f049ee09.jpg

751815290_blacksoyabeans.thumb.jpg.3981c2c13bc1db9e860129703934c0dd.jpg

Black Soy Beans

Anyway, I decided to buy some and try it out. Rather than cook it in a dish, I wanted to taste it more directly, so made a dip to accompany some wontons for breakfast. Dip also contains finely chopped Chinese chives, coriander leaf/cilantro and chilli flakes.

239957084_20201019_1442171.jpg.da7b14cd12a2999e24dccead9d844628.jpg

1478056535_blackbeansoydip.jpg.77b586be308b605975708ea5bb414948.jpg

The sauce has a deeper flavour than regular, but is less salty and with a more mellow aftertaste. I'm impressed. Will try next in a cooked dish, but not today.

• Like 7

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

A mix of planned overs and freshly prepped

IMG_3183.jpeg.4d90b46f84e9430a6cfa9decd8309642.jpeg

Clockwise from 6 PM:  Cucumber raita, cherry tomato and chile pickle, Brussels sprouts with leeks and curry leaves, Kaddu (sweet-sour butternut squash), Priya's dal, chapatti, cilantro chutney.

Sprouts are from @Monica Bhide's book Modern Spice, chapatti from Made in India and all others from Indian-ish

• Like 6

@Shelby – I’m going to guess Lender’s frozen plain bagels.  Being from the Washington, DC area, I grew up with Lender’s at home.  We did have some Jewish delis, so we knew good, fresh bagels, but at home we got Lender’s.  And, as a bread for breakfast sandwiches, I think they work very well.  They are firmer than a roll, but softer that a regular bagel, and the plain let the meat/cheese/egg flavor shine through.  I haven’t had one in years, but think I will remedy that next time I’m at the grocery store. 

@liuzhou – that sauce sounds interesting.  I wish it was something I thought I could find here. 

After parking lot-church bagels on Sunday from our favorite bagel place.  Mr. Kim had salt with cream cheese and bacon:

IMG_3800-001.jpg.56906d25f9cac1babbebacd71a34bc47.jpg

I had an ET with bacon, egg, and cheese:

IMG_3801.jpg.559548d02e0497b58e10e03892e79d67.jpg

Car snack later that morning:

IMG_3807.jpg.f429fcb230d83fb269dd2dd70bbb5440.jpg

IMG_3808.jpg.70e020e0e7dcbde1ca3d7ac8a83d7818.jpg

Yesterday:

IMG_3817.jpg.8f3f3ef31a8571d6690eafcd2e127771.jpg

And today:

IMG_3833.jpg.5528f473344a0f5f7dc85b8c33368e50.jpg

• Like 6
  • Delicious 1
23 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

This morning:

Just eggs, toast, and salted apple slices.  Does anyone else salt apples?  This is the way that my mom served apple slices as a snack (we were a very salt-forward family), but no one else I know has ever heard of it.  We salt watermelon, too.  

My childhood friend's dad was a native Texan (all way thru to Texas A & M) - he salted melons and pretty sure I saw salt on his apple slices.

• Like 2
On 10/21/2020 at 11:33 AM, Kim Shook said:

This morning:

IMG_3837.jpg.ab2894a1619f6b946ad5adce48b8aa45.jpg

Just eggs, toast, and salted apple slices.  Does anyone else salt apples?  This is the way that my mom served apple slices as a snack (we were a very salt-forward family), but no one else I know has ever heard of it.  We salt watermelon, too.  

Haven’t tried salting apples, but I do salt watermelon, celery, radishes and (sometimes) carrots.

• Like 1
  • Similar Content

• By Kasia
      ALMOND CUSCUS WITH CRANBERRIES AND PINEAPPLE

I hate getting up in the morning. My household knows that before 8 o'clock I'm unbearable, and because almost every day I wake up much earlier, I tend to be unbearable more frequently than I want. Every extra five minutes of sleep is priceless, so I appreciate a good breakfast that is not too complicated and is quick to prepare.

Recently, I have been preparing breakfast with groats and flakes. This time I chose cuscus. This product is a cross between pasta and groats, and it doesn't need long to prepare. It is enough to add hot water or milk and leave for a few minutes. I added some fresh pineapple, cranberries and banana. I spiced it up with some hot chili pepper .

Ingredients (for 2 people)
      125g of cuscus
      400ml of almond milk
      1 tablespoon of honey
      1 teaspoon of vanilla essence
      2 slices of fresh pineapple
      1 teaspoon of minced chili pepper
      150g of fresh cranberries
      2 tablespoons of brown sugar
      1 banana
      4 tablespoons of flaked almonds

Wash the cranberries and put them into a pot. Add two tablespoons of water and the brown sugar. Boil, stirring gently until the cranberries burst and the sauce has thickened. Boil the almond milk with the vanilla essence. Pour the milk onto the cuscus and leave for 5-7 minutes. Slice the banana and roast the almond flakes. Peel the pineapple and dice it. Mix the pineapple, chili pepper and honey. Add the pineapple to the cuscus and mix it in. Put the mixture into two bowls. Put the cranberries and banana on the top and sprinkle with the almond flakes.

Enjoy your meal!

• By Kasia
      LUNCH FROM THE JAR, I.E. LAYERED SALAD IN THE OFFICE

Most of us take lunch boxes to the office. Some lucky people can warm their food up at work The rest have to eat sandwiches. Sandwiches are great, but even if we absolutely love them we could get fed up with them in the end. Regardless of where we work we can save the situation with salads. Every day we can prepare a different one and we have an entirely new lunch. If we also take an attractive dish, we have something that is not only tasty but also glamorous.

I would like to share with you the recipe for a salad which looks equally as beautiful as it is yummy. The chickpeas and groats make it a satisfying and balanced meal, after which we won't be hungry. I think that if you prepare your lunch in the morning and plan to eat it at lunchtime, we should keep the salad and the dip separately. Otherwise, after a few hours in the jar, we have an unappetising dish with squishy lettuce, which isn't what we want, is it?

Ingredients (for 2 people)
      1 beetroot
      200g of tinned chickpeas
      100g of bulgur
      1 carrot
      1 fresh green pepper
      4 lettuce leaves
      200g of natural yoghurt
      handful of minced chives
      1 small chili pepper
      salt and pepper

Clean the beetroot and bake or boil it. Grate the beetroot and carrot. Cut the pepper into thin strips. Boil the bulgur in salty water. Arrange in layers in a jar the beetroot, chickpeas, pepper, bulgur, carrot and lettuce. Dice the chili pepper. Mix the natural yoghurt with the chives and chili pepper. Spice it up with salt and pepper. Add the dip to the salad just before serving.

• By Lisa Shock
      I developed this recipe for a friend who wound up with many cans of Solo brand apricot filling and was wondering what to make with them. I adapted this recipe from Rose Levy Beranbaum's Sour Cream Coffee Cake, found on page 90 of the Cake Bible. The apricot filling works it way down through the cake and winds up near the bottom of the pan, making an attractive top later when the cake is inverted. Please use some sort of ring pan that holds at least 9 cups. You may substitute butter for the toasted almond oil, but remember that the oil adds flavor. I specifically developed this recipe with the home cook in mind, regular salted butter, and AP flour work well here. To reduce the sodium, use unsalted butter.  

Ingredients
      113 grams (1 stick) salted butter
      26 grams toasted almond oil
      200 grams sugar
      6 grams vanilla extract
      4 egg yolks
      160 grams regular sour cream (do not use low fat or fat free)
      50 grams almond meal
      175 grams all-purpose flour
      2 1/2 grams baking powder
      2 1/2 grams baking soda
      12 ounces (1 can) Solo Apricot Filling

12 Servings
      Preheat the oven to 350°
      Spray a 9+ cup tube or Bundt pan with non-stick spray or grease with an oil & soy lecithin blend.

Lightly toast the almond meal in a frying pan on the stove top until it has a light beige color and has a mild fragrance. Allow to cool.

Cream together the butter, oil, and sugar. Add the vanilla and egg yolks, mix until the mixture is even and creamy. Add the sour cream and mix well. Add the cooled almond flour and mix well.

Sift together the flour, baking powder and baking soda. Add the dry ingredients to the liquid mixture and mix until it everything is evenly incorporated. Do not overmix the batter.

Place 2/3 of the batter evenly in the prepared pan. Place the apricot filling in an even layer on top, keeping a small space between the filling and the pan's edges. Place the remaining batter on top and smooth to create a relatively even surface.

Bake for approximately 50 minutes at 350° or until the top is dark brown and springs back to a light touch.

Allow to cool for 15 minutes. Invert the pan onto a serving plate. Cool and serve. Be cautious about serving this hot, as the apricot filling can cause serious burns. When fully cooled, cover or wrap in plastic wrap to store. Will keep for several days in a cool, dry place.

Nutrition (thanks MasterCook!) 
      324 calories, 15g fat, (7g sat fat, 6g mono-unsat fat, 1g ploy-unsat fat), 5g protein, 43g carbohydrates, 175mg sodium, 101mg potassium,  58g calcium
      42% calories from fat, 52% calories from carbohydrates, 6% calories from protein
    • By Kasia
      Omelette with courgette and tomato salsa.

Today I added a bit of chili pepper to tomato-basil salsa. Because it was quite spicy I decided to add it to a mild dish. I prepared an omelette with courgette and goat cheese. The salsa added an excellent piquancy to it. I recommend this dish for a fast and light meal.

Ingredients:

omelette
      3 eggs
      150g of courgette
      3-4 slices of goat cheese
      2 tablespoons of milk
      1 tablespoon of flour
      1 tablespoon of butter
      salt and pepper

salsa
      2 tomatoes
      3 tablespoons of minced basil
      quarter of an onion
      2 cloves of garlic
      half a chili pepper
      3 tablespoons of olive oil
      2 tablespoons of lemon juice
      1 teaspoon of honey

Start by preparing the salsa. Cube the tomato and dice the garlic, onion and chili pepper. Mix the vegetables together. Make a sauce with the olive oil, lemon juice and honey. Add it to the vegetables and mix it in. Leave in the fridge.
      Slice the courgette very thin. Whisk the eggs with the milk and add the flour. Spice it up with salt and pepper. Melt the butter in a pan. Pour half the egg mass into it and fry for a while at medium heat. Arrange half of the courgette slices on top along with the slices of goat cheese and the rest of the courgette. Pour the rest of the egg mass onto it and fry it. When the eggs have congealed, turn the omelette upside down and fry for a few seconds. Serve at once with the tomato salsa.

Enjoy your meal!

• By Kasia
      Holiday brunch.

During the holiday, eating is a waste of time for my children. Although breakfast should be a balanced and calm meal, at this time it is eaten quickly and carelessly. Sometimes I need to wrest my children away from their play and nourish their young bodies with brunch.

Today I would like to share with you the recipe for a very simple egg and vegetable brunch. Though my children like all vegetables, the look of the food made them anxious. Only the soft boiled eggs settled them down and got them eating. After a while there were two empty glasses in the dishwasher and my children could go back to playing. It was good, because the holiday is almost over.

Ingredients (for 3 people)
      half an onion
      2 cloves of garlic
      1 tablespoon of butter
      300g of courgette
      1 red pepper
      2 tomatoes
      2 sprigs of rosemary
      2 sprigs of thyme
      3 tablespoons of minced chives
      3 eggs

Dice the onion and garlic and fry them in butter. Remove the core from the tomatoes. Cube the courgette, tomatoes and red pepper. Put one of the cubed tomatoes to one side. Add the second tomato and the rest of the vegetables to the onion and stew on a low heat for 10 minutes. Boil some water and carefully put the eggs into the water. Boil for 5 minutes. Cool them down and carefully remove the shell. Mix the stewed vegetables in with the rest of the tomato. Spice it up with salt and pepper. Put the vegetables into a cup. Arrange the eggs on top and cut them up with a sharp knife. Spice up the egg with salt and pepper and sprinkle with the chives.
      Serve at once.

Enjoy your meal!