• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast 2020!

@CantCookStillTry – those bacon sammies look outstanding.  When I was a little girl my English grandmother would smuggle pounds of it over on her trips to see us.  I loved them with HP, but also with orange marmalade. 

@chromedome– that waffle breakfast has me wishing that Mr. Kim was a better cook😊!  Yeasted waffles are the very best and the pineapple looks perfect.

I find myself craving a hot breakfast lately.  I’ve looked for some frozen prepared things that might be a good breakfast for when I’m alone here – stuff that I can microwave quickly (if I sit down, I’m down for a long time without a boost), but I’m guessing that that is the kind of thing that folks are stocking up on because no one seems to have them.  How I’d love to have a freezer full of @Ann_T's biscuits!  But, between stuff that I’ve made and frozen and restaurants, I’m doing pretty well on breakfasts in the last little bit.  I’m eating these later in the day, so they become brunch. 

IMG_4077.jpg.a8a46b64fff5eada821b985beaa9448f.jpg

Fried eggs, Benton’s bacon, and ET bagels w/ cream cheese.

My breakfast from a local favorite deli:

IMG_4080.jpg.ccd329af6d8ced98af7365b42ac6305d.jpg

They have the best pancakes.  Plus, you get 3 to an order – I can only eat one which means I get two more breakfasts out of it.  Pancakes heat up perfectly in the CSO on bake/steam. 

I stood up long enough the other day to make French toast out of the last of the panettone from the freezer.  Mr. Kim had to work from the office the next day, so I toasted some for breakfast:

IMG_4084.jpg.59aa3e17f0d7830d76bb3af64f1ef0f8.jpg

Just the best.

This morning was more Benton's and ET bagels from the freezer:

IMG_4095.jpg.e6044d5a7fdf9d1595edc813abef4079.jpg

Please excuse the crappy pictures.  I take them in the family room, where I'm being fed, instead of in the kitchen.  Much better lighting there.

Edited by Kim Shook (log)
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1
18 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

I find myself craving a hot breakfast lately.  I’ve looked for some frozen prepared things that might be a good breakfast for when I’m alone here – stuff that I can microwave quickly (if I sit down, I’m down for a long time without a boost), but I’m guessing that that is the kind of thing that folks are stocking up on because no one seems to have them.

Trader Joe’s has sous vide egg bites in the refrigerated section that may help. They can be reheated in the microwave or the oven. I picked some up this week and had them for breakfast with an English muffin — heated them in the CSO. Quite tasty. Same issue with them that I have with other egg bites, they are sticky, had issues removing them from portions of the ceramic ovenware that I used to warm them in the CSO. 

• Thanks 1
46 minutes ago, curls said:

Trader Joe’s has sous vide egg bites in the refrigerated section that may help. They can be reheated in the microwave or the oven. I picked some up this week and had them for breakfast with an English muffin — heated them in the CSO. Quite tasty. Same issue with them that I have with other egg bites, they are sticky, had issues removing them from portions of the ceramic ovenware that I used to warm them in the CSO. 

Thank you so much, @curls.  I've added that to my shopping list.  

• Like 1

@Kim Shook HP & Orange Marmalade on the same Sandwich? Or with HP or Orange Marmalade? Either way I am both horified and intriuged! 😂

As an English Woman I have never tried Marmalade, I don't like Tea or Biscuits.. or Cucumber for that matter... please don't tell the Queen 😂😂

Edited by CantCookStillTry (log)
  • Haha 2

Made sausage gravy with chorizo this morning for a slightly more festive breakfast. Came out really well (and I almost never make sausage gravy, so I'm fairly proud of myself).

I haven't found anywhere in Boston that sells really good Mexican-style chorizo. But the fresh chorizo from Wegmans is a pretty decent sausage, even if it's not exactly what I'm looking for. The closest actually is the soy chorizo from Trader Joe's; I had a few ounces of that left. So I browned up the Wegmans pork stuff, and then added in the soy chorizo.

In retrospect, I should have drained the fat out beforehand, as the soy chorizo absorbed a lot of the grease from the pork sausage. Oops. Mix of bacon fat and butter to the rescue. Microplaned in a couple of cloves of garlic for extra flavor just before adding the flour, and gave it a dash of smoked paprika since I can't quit the stuff lately. Otherwise, the standard sausage gravy process. A little apple cider vinegar at the end really helped balance it out.

As the sausage was browning I went to get out the biscuits we'd ordered with our Thanksgiving bakery order and...realized we didn't actually order those. Oops. Bisquick to the rescue. Not my proudest moment, but you couldn't see 'em under the gravy.

Served with some strips of roasted poblano (thank you, CSO) and some fried eggs. I am getting better at fried eggs, these days; I can usually nail the texture I want. Took long enough.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, dtremit said:

(Why do I reply to posts when I mean to edit them? Oops.)

I should just make a batch of homemade bulk chorizo one of these days and freeze it off in half pounds.

I've made the recipe for Grandma Alice's Chipotle Chorizo in Josef Centeno's Amá (recipe available online at this linkusing pork and  pork belly. It's quite tasty and I highly recommend the recipe if you don’t already have your own favorite. 

• Like 2

A current standard breakfast of mine :

DSC08893.thumb.jpg.227f43222a6f293b4a50eb464eb19c8e.jpg

CSO'd English Muffin , buttered.  TJ's Pepper Jelly,  soft scrambled eggs.

while supplies last /

delicious.  I stock up on the PepperJelly whenever I go to Tj's.

I keep three packs of EM's in the refrigerator , along w 3 dox. extra large brown eggs

that's a single Blitz worth.  EM don't seem to suffer much ,  crunchy , and a bit soft in the center

thanks to the CSO.

• Like 5
38 minutes ago, rotuts said:

LOL At first glance I thought that was marmalade. Pepper jelly makes MUCH more sense... :P

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

DSC08893.thumb.jpg.227f43222a6f293b4a50eb464eb19c8e.jpg

while supplies last /

delicious.  I stock up on the PepperJelly whenever I go to Tj's.

I keep three packs of EM's in the refrigerator , along w 3 dox. extra large brown eggs

that's a single Blitz worth.  EM don't seem to suffer much ,  crunchy , and a bit soft in the center

thanks to the CSO.

When in EM mode we kept them in freezer and just took out the next morning's supply night before - in a plastic bag. My stepmother averted her eyes when I did a hot pepper jelly hack. TJ Seville orange marmalade with a sprinkle of cayenne or red pepper flakes. Egg soft boiled and smooshed on each half. My comfort breakfast.

@heidih 

I thought of the freezer , but its full

the EM's are at thievery back of the Refrigerator , and it gets frosty back there.

I like TJ's orange marmalade.   might try some of that w some green Tabasco on top

nice suggestion.

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

@Anna N 

looks like you are flying coach to Hawaii.

Shush 😂

• Haha 5

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Stumbled on a good combination for hash today: breakfast sausage, potato (pre-roasted in the CSO), purple top turnip, red pepper, and apple.

Seasoned it with onion, garlic, caraway, celery salt, and TJ's umami seasoning; finished with a little maple syrup and apple cider vinegar.

• Delicious 1
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Similar Content

• By liuzhou
      When my mother recently passed away, because we are a scattered family, one of my younger brothers had the great idea of setting up a private Facebook page for the immediate family to talk in – mainly about funeral arrangements but also just in general.

One topic, which I inadvertently started, was about her cooking. It’s fair to say, and she would agree, that cooking was not her forte. She was able to feed us but it was never exciting. That’s me being respectful.

So we were joking amongst ourselves about that when the subject of her two most ‘original’ recipes came up and we each tried to remember exactly what was in them. Here, to the best of our ability, is what we agreed on.

Pasta Mish-Mash

Ingredients:

Pasta. This had to be Marshall’s macaroni, a Scottish speciality and the only pasta I ever ate until I was about 18 years-old, apart from tinned spaghetti, usually in the form of spaghetti hoops.

Bacon. This would normally be unsmoked Ayrshire back bacon. Not American bacon!

Onions. White onions. We didn’t know they came in other colours.

Tomatoes. Scottish tomatoes are surprisingly good.

Salt. Common iodised table salt. You know. Natural salt. None of your fancy sea flavoured salt nonsense!

Pepper. Black pre-ground and stale.

Method:

Boil pasta according to pack instructions. Or a bit longer if you get distracted. Drain.

Cut bacon into pieces. Chop onion approximately finely. Chop tomatoes into eighths. Fry bacon and vegetables. When ready add drained pasta and mix. Apply seasoning if you remember. Even if you remember, under season.

Serve.

Polish Salad

During WWII, around 17,000 Polish soldiers were stationed in Scotland, first temporarily in the border areas but later in east Scotland where my mother lived. (Her elder sister married one of them). Family lore has it (from my mother) that she learned this recipe from one or more of those soldiers.

I’m fairly certain that there was little if anything Polish about it, but suppose its possible it was those soldiers’ attempt to recreate something from home without really knowing the recipe and having to use whatever they could find in the way of ingredients.

If anyone here is Polish, of Polish descent or just knows more about Polish food than I do knows of any Polish dish that this could even vaguely resemble, I’d love to know. It was memorably distinctive - bright purple. I'm sure it glowed in the dark.

Ingredients:

Tomatoes

Onions

Apples

Hard boiled eggs

Pickled beetroot (store bought and pickled in malt vinegar)

Heinz Tomato Ketchup

Brown Sauce, preferably HP Sauce.

Method:

Chop all the ingredients except the ketchup and brown sauce into small pieces and mix together.

Mix ketchup and brown sauce in a 50:50 ratio, and fold into the other ingredients. If too dry, add a little of the beetroot pickling liquid.

Serve

Father's 'recipe' coming up next.

• By Ling
      I've already polished off half a box of Harvest Crunch Granola today. I haven't really eaten cereal in years, but these crunchy granola clusters are hard to resist.
      What's your favourite cereal, and what do you eat with it?
      (Big bowl, big spoon, and 2% milk for me.)
    • By Kasia
      LUNCH FROM THE JAR, I.E. LAYERED SALAD IN THE OFFICE

Most of us take lunch boxes to the office. Some lucky people can warm their food up at work The rest have to eat sandwiches. Sandwiches are great, but even if we absolutely love them we could get fed up with them in the end. Regardless of where we work we can save the situation with salads. Every day we can prepare a different one and we have an entirely new lunch. If we also take an attractive dish, we have something that is not only tasty but also glamorous.

I would like to share with you the recipe for a salad which looks equally as beautiful as it is yummy. The chickpeas and groats make it a satisfying and balanced meal, after which we won't be hungry. I think that if you prepare your lunch in the morning and plan to eat it at lunchtime, we should keep the salad and the dip separately. Otherwise, after a few hours in the jar, we have an unappetising dish with squishy lettuce, which isn't what we want, is it?

Ingredients (for 2 people)
      1 beetroot
      200g of tinned chickpeas
      100g of bulgur
      1 carrot
      1 fresh green pepper
      4 lettuce leaves
      200g of natural yoghurt
      handful of minced chives
      1 small chili pepper
      salt and pepper

Clean the beetroot and bake or boil it. Grate the beetroot and carrot. Cut the pepper into thin strips. Boil the bulgur in salty water. Arrange in layers in a jar the beetroot, chickpeas, pepper, bulgur, carrot and lettuce. Dice the chili pepper. Mix the natural yoghurt with the chives and chili pepper. Spice it up with salt and pepper. Add the dip to the salad just before serving.

• By Kasia
      ALMOND CUSCUS WITH CRANBERRIES AND PINEAPPLE

I hate getting up in the morning. My household knows that before 8 o'clock I'm unbearable, and because almost every day I wake up much earlier, I tend to be unbearable more frequently than I want. Every extra five minutes of sleep is priceless, so I appreciate a good breakfast that is not too complicated and is quick to prepare.

Recently, I have been preparing breakfast with groats and flakes. This time I chose cuscus. This product is a cross between pasta and groats, and it doesn't need long to prepare. It is enough to add hot water or milk and leave for a few minutes. I added some fresh pineapple, cranberries and banana. I spiced it up with some hot chili pepper .

Ingredients (for 2 people)
      125g of cuscus
      400ml of almond milk
      1 tablespoon of honey
      1 teaspoon of vanilla essence
      2 slices of fresh pineapple
      1 teaspoon of minced chili pepper
      150g of fresh cranberries
      2 tablespoons of brown sugar
      1 banana
      4 tablespoons of flaked almonds

Wash the cranberries and put them into a pot. Add two tablespoons of water and the brown sugar. Boil, stirring gently until the cranberries burst and the sauce has thickened. Boil the almond milk with the vanilla essence. Pour the milk onto the cuscus and leave for 5-7 minutes. Slice the banana and roast the almond flakes. Peel the pineapple and dice it. Mix the pineapple, chili pepper and honey. Add the pineapple to the cuscus and mix it in. Put the mixture into two bowls. Put the cranberries and banana on the top and sprinkle with the almond flakes.

Enjoy your meal!

• By Lisa Shock
      I developed this recipe for a friend who wound up with many cans of Solo brand apricot filling and was wondering what to make with them. I adapted this recipe from Rose Levy Beranbaum's Sour Cream Coffee Cake, found on page 90 of the Cake Bible. The apricot filling works it way down through the cake and winds up near the bottom of the pan, making an attractive top later when the cake is inverted. Please use some sort of ring pan that holds at least 9 cups. You may substitute butter for the toasted almond oil, but remember that the oil adds flavor. I specifically developed this recipe with the home cook in mind, regular salted butter, and AP flour work well here. To reduce the sodium, use unsalted butter.  

Ingredients
      113 grams (1 stick) salted butter
      26 grams toasted almond oil
      200 grams sugar
      6 grams vanilla extract
      4 egg yolks
      160 grams regular sour cream (do not use low fat or fat free)
      50 grams almond meal
      175 grams all-purpose flour
      2 1/2 grams baking powder
      2 1/2 grams baking soda
      12 ounces (1 can) Solo Apricot Filling

12 Servings
      Preheat the oven to 350°
      Spray a 9+ cup tube or Bundt pan with non-stick spray or grease with an oil & soy lecithin blend.

Lightly toast the almond meal in a frying pan on the stove top until it has a light beige color and has a mild fragrance. Allow to cool.

Cream together the butter, oil, and sugar. Add the vanilla and egg yolks, mix until the mixture is even and creamy. Add the sour cream and mix well. Add the cooled almond flour and mix well.

Sift together the flour, baking powder and baking soda. Add the dry ingredients to the liquid mixture and mix until it everything is evenly incorporated. Do not overmix the batter.

Place 2/3 of the batter evenly in the prepared pan. Place the apricot filling in an even layer on top, keeping a small space between the filling and the pan's edges. Place the remaining batter on top and smooth to create a relatively even surface.

Bake for approximately 50 minutes at 350° or until the top is dark brown and springs back to a light touch.

Allow to cool for 15 minutes. Invert the pan onto a serving plate. Cool and serve. Be cautious about serving this hot, as the apricot filling can cause serious burns. When fully cooled, cover or wrap in plastic wrap to store. Will keep for several days in a cool, dry place.

Nutrition (thanks MasterCook!) 
      324 calories, 15g fat, (7g sat fat, 6g mono-unsat fat, 1g ploy-unsat fat), 5g protein, 43g carbohydrates, 175mg sodium, 101mg potassium,  58g calcium
      42% calories from fat, 52% calories from carbohydrates, 6% calories from protein