• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast 2020!

liuzhou

@CantCookStillTry – those bacon sammies look outstanding.  When I was a little girl my English grandmother would smuggle pounds of it over on her trips to see us.  I loved them with HP, but also with orange marmalade. 

@chromedome– that waffle breakfast has me wishing that Mr. Kim was a better cook😊!  Yeasted waffles are the very best and the pineapple looks perfect.

I find myself craving a hot breakfast lately.  I’ve looked for some frozen prepared things that might be a good breakfast for when I’m alone here – stuff that I can microwave quickly (if I sit down, I’m down for a long time without a boost), but I’m guessing that that is the kind of thing that folks are stocking up on because no one seems to have them.  How I’d love to have a freezer full of @Ann_T's biscuits!  But, between stuff that I’ve made and frozen and restaurants, I’m doing pretty well on breakfasts in the last little bit.  I’m eating these later in the day, so they become brunch. 

IMG_4077.jpg.a8a46b64fff5eada821b985beaa9448f.jpg

Fried eggs, Benton’s bacon, and ET bagels w/ cream cheese.

My breakfast from a local favorite deli:

IMG_4080.jpg.ccd329af6d8ced98af7365b42ac6305d.jpg

They have the best pancakes.  Plus, you get 3 to an order – I can only eat one which means I get two more breakfasts out of it.  Pancakes heat up perfectly in the CSO on bake/steam. 

I stood up long enough the other day to make French toast out of the last of the panettone from the freezer.  Mr. Kim had to work from the office the next day, so I toasted some for breakfast:

IMG_4084.jpg.59aa3e17f0d7830d76bb3af64f1ef0f8.jpg

Just the best.

This morning was more Benton's and ET bagels from the freezer:

IMG_4095.jpg.e6044d5a7fdf9d1595edc813abef4079.jpg

Please excuse the crappy pictures.  I take them in the family room, where I'm being fed, instead of in the kitchen.  Much better lighting there.

Edited by Kim Shook (log)
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

18 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

I find myself craving a hot breakfast lately.  I’ve looked for some frozen prepared things that might be a good breakfast for when I’m alone here – stuff that I can microwave quickly (if I sit down, I’m down for a long time without a boost), but I’m guessing that that is the kind of thing that folks are stocking up on because no one seems to have them.

Trader Joe’s has sous vide egg bites in the refrigerated section that may help. They can be reheated in the microwave or the oven. I picked some up this week and had them for breakfast with an English muffin — heated them in the CSO. Quite tasty. Same issue with them that I have with other egg bites, they are sticky, had issues removing them from portions of the ceramic ovenware that I used to warm them in the CSO. 

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, curls said:

Trader Joe’s has sous vide egg bites in the refrigerated section that may help. They can be reheated in the microwave or the oven. I picked some up this week and had them for breakfast with an English muffin — heated them in the CSO. Quite tasty. Same issue with them that I have with other egg bites, they are sticky, had issues removing them from portions of the ceramic ovenware that I used to warm them in the CSO. 

Thank you so much, @curls.  I've added that to my shopping list.  

• Like 1

@Kim Shook HP & Orange Marmalade on the same Sandwich? Or with HP or Orange Marmalade? Either way I am both horified and intriuged! 😂

As an English Woman I have never tried Marmalade, I don't like Tea or Biscuits.. or Cucumber for that matter... please don't tell the Queen 😂😂

Edited by CantCookStillTry (log)
  • Haha 2

Made sausage gravy with chorizo this morning for a slightly more festive breakfast. Came out really well (and I almost never make sausage gravy, so I'm fairly proud of myself).

I haven't found anywhere in Boston that sells really good Mexican-style chorizo. But the fresh chorizo from Wegmans is a pretty decent sausage, even if it's not exactly what I'm looking for. The closest actually is the soy chorizo from Trader Joe's; I had a few ounces of that left. So I browned up the Wegmans pork stuff, and then added in the soy chorizo.

In retrospect, I should have drained the fat out beforehand, as the soy chorizo absorbed a lot of the grease from the pork sausage. Oops. Mix of bacon fat and butter to the rescue. Microplaned in a couple of cloves of garlic for extra flavor just before adding the flour, and gave it a dash of smoked paprika since I can't quit the stuff lately. Otherwise, the standard sausage gravy process. A little apple cider vinegar at the end really helped balance it out.

As the sausage was browning I went to get out the biscuits we'd ordered with our Thanksgiving bakery order and...realized we didn't actually order those. Oops. Bisquick to the rescue. Not my proudest moment, but you couldn't see 'em under the gravy.

Served with some strips of roasted poblano (thank you, CSO) and some fried eggs. I am getting better at fried eggs, these days; I can usually nail the texture I want. Took long enough.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, dtremit said:

(Why do I reply to posts when I mean to edit them? Oops.)

I should just make a batch of homemade bulk chorizo one of these days and freeze it off in half pounds.

I've made the recipe for Grandma Alice's Chipotle Chorizo in Josef Centeno's Amá (recipe available online at this linkusing pork and  pork belly. It's quite tasty and I highly recommend the recipe if you don’t already have your own favorite. 

• Like 2

A current standard breakfast of mine :

DSC08893.thumb.jpg.227f43222a6f293b4a50eb464eb19c8e.jpg

CSO'd English Muffin , buttered.  TJ's Pepper Jelly,  soft scrambled eggs.

while supplies last /

delicious.  I stock up on the PepperJelly whenever I go to Tj's.

I keep three packs of EM's in the refrigerator , along w 3 dox. extra large brown eggs

that's a single Blitz worth.  EM don't seem to suffer much ,  crunchy , and a bit soft in the center

thanks to the CSO.

• Like 5

38 minutes ago, rotuts said:

LOL At first glance I thought that was marmalade. Pepper jelly makes MUCH more sense... :P

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

DSC08893.thumb.jpg.227f43222a6f293b4a50eb464eb19c8e.jpg

while supplies last /

delicious.  I stock up on the PepperJelly whenever I go to Tj's.

I keep three packs of EM's in the refrigerator , along w 3 dox. extra large brown eggs

that's a single Blitz worth.  EM don't seem to suffer much ,  crunchy , and a bit soft in the center

thanks to the CSO.

When in EM mode we kept them in freezer and just took out the next morning's supply night before - in a plastic bag. My stepmother averted her eyes when I did a hot pepper jelly hack. TJ Seville orange marmalade with a sprinkle of cayenne or red pepper flakes. Egg soft boiled and smooshed on each half. My comfort breakfast.

8BC975BD-00E2-4093-A26C-752CF256F621.thumb.jpeg.0935dbef0f64e163705e8c9730ae15c9.jpeg

spam and egg. 

• Like 4
  • Delicious 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

@heidih 

I thought of the freezer , but its full

the EM's are at thievery back of the Refrigerator , and it gets frosty back there.

I like TJ's orange marmalade.   might try some of that w some green Tabasco on top

nice suggestion.

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

@Anna N 

looks like you are flying coach to Hawaii.

Shush 😂

• Haha 5

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

@CantCookStillTry - either HP or marmalade.  Not both at the same time.  Though...🤔

IMG_4120.jpg.62473e704f6724d989ae78b9338dc79e.jpg

Jessica's leftover Watergate salad from Thanksgiving dinner, ET bagel, hashbrown patty, and an egg that needed a Barry White song accompaniment when the yolk was cut open.  Wow!  

• Like 2
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 3

Stumbled on a good combination for hash today: breakfast sausage, potato (pre-roasted in the CSO), purple top turnip, red pepper, and apple.

Seasoned it with onion, garlic, caraway, celery salt, and TJ's umami seasoning; finished with a little maple syrup and apple cider vinegar.

• Delicious 1