• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! 2017 (Part 2)

kayb

When it comes to lox or smoked salmon I'm a pretty traditional girl. I'm not talking about the Northwest style smoked fish which I never experienced until I moved to the west coast (fabulous but very different). I've always eaten my lox on a bagel with cream cheese or in scrambled eggs. But now I have a new way to eat  lox/smoked salmon. And it not only makes for a great breakfast, it makes for a a great appetizer with a martini or prosecco! And all you need besides the salmon is bread, butter and a few herbs.. As we all know, a good bagel is hard to find, especially outside of NYC.

The recipe below is for a LOT of butter. I made apps for a party and still had butter leftover for breakfasts. And I recently discovered that along with a cocktail it makes an excellent dinner all by itself.

SMOKED SALMON ON DILL & CHIVE BUTTER TOASTS

10 oz best smoked salmon in med-thin slices         
 2 sticks of butter, room temp                               
1 tablespoon lemon zest                                         
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice or to taste           
1/2 cup finely chopped chives 

1 tablespoon (or + to taste) fresh dill, finely chopped

1 1/2 T dijon mustard

1/2 tsp salt (adjust depending on how salty your salmon is)

1/2 tsp fresh black pepper

baguette, rye or other bread--very flexible!

Mix butter, lemon juice and zest, chives, mustard, dill, salt and pepper in a bowl until blended. 
Cover and refrigerate. Bring to room temperature before using. Toast bread lightly and let cool
just a bit. Spread on a layer of butter mix and place a slice of smoked salmon on top of each 
toast. Place on a platter and serve.

Notes: This  saves well in the fridge for a couple of weeks. I used the toaster. It doesn’t seem

to be a problem if the bread cools a bit, especially if serving as apps. If serving a crowd it is

easiest to toast the bread in the broiler, but watch not to over-toast. You can use a semi-sour

batard or a rye bread or probably any of numerous breads.

When I have it for breakfast I don't worry about softening the butter. I spread it on hot toast

just the way I would for any buttered toast. 

Edited by Katie Meadow (log)
  • Like 4
  • Delicious 1

My breakfasts, and probably me also, are becoming extraordinarily boring.  But I’m on a mission to make bread and food has fallen into the category of fuel. 

3D6F35F2-01C9-4324-AFDF-1F0D0E3A6377.thumb.jpeg.579547c786da0624e729900fdb4e9092.jpeg

90°C times eight minute sous vide eggs. I show you this because one of them sustained severe trauma while being undressed. The other one did not. I have no explanation.

3A884F3F-12F1-44A5-B1F4-FD69827A068F.thumb.jpeg.e6b1252e9dddfab446e807272f0dfea8.jpeg

Served on, what else, Modernist Bread. This is their interpretation of a whole wheat sandwich bread and is mild enough that it even works with eggs.This is their interpretation of a whole wheat sandwich bread and is mild enough that it even works with eggs.

• Like 5

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Loving the grilled cheese for breakfast ideas!  @blue_dolphin – I stuff French toast with roasted pears, but never thought to put them in a grilled cheese – I’ll be trying that!

@Anna N – I’m not finding your breakfasts boring at all.  To me, there is no better breakfast than eggs on toast – scrambled, fried, poached or boiled!  (And you will never become boring!)

Breakfast this morning:

DSCN7644.JPG.147f2b2b3a0ca2807a4c4eeaa6264d75.JPG

Pumpernickel bagels w/ lox cream cheese!  A childhood favorite and one that I can indulge now, thanks to Wegman’s.  I’ve been unable to find pumpernickel bagels lately and was thrilled to see them there – as well as the very good lox cream cheese.  I can remember meeting my mother’s extended family for brunch when I was a little girl and they were all appalled that she “let” me eat such a thing!  I don’t think that they ever had a bagel until the sweet ones came out!xD

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Ann_T said:

Potato Leek soup with yesterday's bread toasted. 

I was just given two lovely leeks and as I went to put them into the fridge discovered two more. I suspect leeks will show up in my dining plans very soon. (Although if things do go south leeks freeze very well after being chopped up, carefully washed and spun dry).  

• Like 2

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

BFE7C0DF-9FC2-49CD-BE26-F0C89C08D84C.thumb.jpeg.6a817d65a3cf9a04b2dbfc8d433f9c2b.jpeg

Sharp cheddar with Major Grey’s chutney on toasted (Modernist Bread) whole wheat sandwich loaf. 

• Like 8

My 2004 eG Blog

Poached eggs on toast, fresh salsa, scrapple and a zucchini "pancake". I have tried the IP and SV poached eggs, and have convinced myself that sometimes there is no substitute for the old school large fry pan filled with water and a little vinegar method for making poached eggs.

HC

IMG_1270.thumb.JPG.2517f3343846676f4c94413b9abe9992.JPG

IMG_1269.JPG

Edited by HungryChris (log)
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, HungryChris said:

I have tried the IP and SV poached eggs, and have convinced myself that sometimes there is no substitute for the old school large fry pan filled with water and a little vinegar meth

I love them all!

My 2004 eG Blog

43 minutes ago, HungryChris said:

I think yesterdays IP 3 minute steam, fast release and just as quickly discarded hockey pucks played a big roll in my attitude this morning.

I see your point. xD   Don’t think I’ve ever accomplished it that way.  Don’t think I’ll bother trying. 

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

@Kim Shook's comment yesterday about roasted pear French toast got me to thinking.  I've never made stuffed French toast and most that I've seen in restaurants look like sugar bombs but I bet roasted pear could be lovely.  

I decided to try something a bit more savory -   mushroom & spinach stuffed French toast

IMG_6383.thumb.jpg.4d26e716b9a55460ac8c3d1b26eb7258.jpg

IMG_6389.thumb.jpg.3832b8c8e8df853a269c79a0b2ec8292.jpg

I used the same thick-sliced brioche loaf (from TJ's) as yesterday.  I cut a pocket and stuffed in some leftover sautéed greens and mushrooms mixed with grated cheese.  I added plenty of salt & pepper to the egg mixture and sprinkled fried onion pieces on top.

• Like 8

12 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

I decided to try something a bit more savory -   mushroom & spinach stuffed French toast

Be still, my heart. 

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

11 minutes ago, Captain said:

A T-Bone steak that needed cooking, so why not breakfast.

On toast with some mustard's and I was happy.

IMG_20171118_074121.thumb.jpg.9ee068710233ba1f5ca9aa050cf8fd2b.jpg

I can eat any savory food for breakfast!  Your steak looks properly cooked and rested.

• Like 1

D04E9821-C4C8-41D3-9A35-8EDF8D50C854.thumb.jpeg.52a75f05ed0a234a282d333f41e65073.jpeg

Creamed mushrooms on toast with a sprinkling of Parmesan.  Eaten standing up in the kitchen (shortly after 5 AM) while  observing the progress of dough for Pain Rustique. (My therapy appointment is booked for 10 AM.)xD

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

My 2004 eG Blog