• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! 2017 (Part 2)

kayb

@kayb, those ham & cheese rolls are making me want to go out and get a ham, too!   That plus some ham salad sandwiches - a guilty childhood pleasure for me.

Today's breakfast:

IMG_6324.thumb.jpg.f0fb87dd2f0bfe89593b7727dd0e955e.jpg

Toasted multigrain bread with mixed nut butter and a drizzle of hot honey.  Mug of hot black coffee.

• Like 6

7A67CC87-C17E-4852-BBEB-4034FF084CAA.thumb.jpeg.c121196bfd194dfddbfb9ec4d530a319.jpeg

The only comment – – this is the traditional potato bread from Modernist Bread. 

• Like 5
  • Delicious 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

22 hours ago, HungryChris said:

Homemade smoked salmon spread.

HC

IMG_1164.thumb.JPG.f8f77d58cac4fced756b0e5d5146a8de.JPG

@HungryChris - I would be delighted to have that meal at any time of the day!  

A rather pale imitation of @HungryChris's breakfast from yesterday:

IMG_6332.thumb.jpg.b742292228f3fbf9436aa1902c381210.jpg

Smoked tuna spread (variation on the sardine spread recipe in David Lebovitz's My Paris Kitchen) on multigrain toasts, fresh carrots, cornichons and pickled agave buds (from @gfron1's Acorns & Cattails)

• Like 8

43 minutes ago, heidih said:

@blue_dolphin   Where did you source the agave buds

Short answer:  my front yard

I put a longer answer with photos over here in the gardening thread

There are also agaves growing here an there in some of the open space around here. I haven't tried to harvest buds from them but I will keep an eye out for them.  I'm sure you know this but since they grow the bloom stalk so fast, it's a fairly short window between the time they set buds and when they open up. 

• Like 1

A3198B84-80B2-41F7-8388-CF565AA48B34.thumb.jpeg.6a28bbd46e4b1dde097dde10b4054dc8.jpeg

Inspired by Diana Henry’s Mumbai toast. 

Cheddar cheese, tomato, red onion, salt and a sprinkling of garam masala. Major Grey’s on the side. (The last of the potato bread from Modernist Bread.)

• Like 6

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

14 hours ago, rotuts said:

@HungryChris 

WoW

it all looks Really Good

killer frost your way

no doubt  

tonight here :  17 F

Ill need to get some Scapple to get few a few days.

Yes, cold and windy. Lit the woodstove for the first time this season today.

My normal suppyler of Parks scrapple only had beef scrapple, so I found some Jones in another store. Jones is good, but not as good to my taste as Parks. I buy a few bricks at a time, thaw them and slice them up and then freeze them in IQF form so that I can just take as many out of the freezer as I want.

HC

Edited by HungryChris (log)

Never had Parks

Im bereft .

I did live in the Philadelphia area for 3 months

way back when

I think they had 4 - 6 packaged Scapple

and 4 or so fresh

at the counter

the Meat Counter

not the Deli.

Hog Heaven Id say

had it every night

thick cut.

• Like 1

5a064c59c8534_tortillabkfst.jpg.df644509c1111dd0d10c4c100f4f200d.jpg

A tortilla, albeit I didn't put enough eggs in it. Used four. Should have used six. With a 3 oz pkg of proscuitto, and a cup and a half of grated romano, along with a little Spanish paprika. Tasted better than it looked. 

With oranges.

• Like 5

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

My egg people at the farmers market are getting some smaller eggs from their young hens so I bought a dozen Peewees.

So cute!

IMG_6340.thumb.jpg.5c2a53943ce658a6b39a75d7e2a044e7.jpg

I gave them a test run to see how long they would take to cook and made the Eggs with Anchovy,Shallots and Parsley from Diana Henry's Simple

IMG_6343.thumb.jpg.03df98d9fc4d9a81d44e2dab9457c852.jpg

Seems like 4.5 min for the little guys gives a result comparable to my usual 6.5 min with regular large eggs, both straight from the fridge.

• Like 10

Thank you @blue_dolphin   More data to add to our tables. 

• Haha 1

My 2004 eG Blog

Another in a series of gluten free breakfasts while Child B is here. A layer of pimiento cheese grits, topped with stewed tomatoes from Deep Run Roots (sans bread crumbs), and eggs baked on top, with a final sprinkle of cheese.

5a075a909c2bd_gritsneggs1111.jpg.44c12d597e230dde7e59ccff42edd8fd.jpg

Served up with some more of that good Appleton Farms ham.

5a075ab43a62c_gritseggsnham1111.thumb.jpg.9dddcd4849ce9107566f229a335e38cd.jpg

8 minutes in the CSO was perfect. Let them set for two or three minutes after that. I believe regular cheese grits would've been better than pimiento cheese grits, though.

• Like 7

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

1 minute ago, OldHobo said:

Umm... What's a CSO? :unsure:

Cuisinart steam oven. 

My 2004 eG Blog

8B8356F2-D0C3-4C8D-9BB7-57E20C3EA6C1.thumb.jpeg.21785aacab6f88f724121d8c21a5ec68.jpeg

Home made bread (from Modernist Bread) toasted in the Cuisinart steam oven (CSO). A Johnsonville brat cooked sous vide (Joule) at 68°C for one hour and finished in the Breville smart oven at 400° for 10 minutes.  The egg and tomatoes were cooked in an IKEA nonstick pan on a GE Profile  induction range.  All served on an IKEA platter. xDxDxD   Just couldn’t help myself. Now back to some bread baking. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

My 2004 eG Blog

14 minutes ago, IowaDee said:

But what was the breed of hen that laid that egg?

It is a very recent hybrid. It has been named the Longo Supermarket Red. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

My 2004 eG Blog

065974D4-82D1-4FB5-AB9E-95CB618A5D29.thumb.jpeg.ee4e474eef73a05ff62653e378c5ab1d.jpeg

From the Freezer: Buttermilk Biscuit (cooked in my 20 year old Maytag oven) and leftover Country Gravy from a dry mix (reheated on my 20 year old Amana cooktop), Hash Brown Patty (cooked in my Cuisinart non-steam Toaster Oven), and Sausage Patty (cooked in my 10 year old Sharp Microwave Oven). And from the Refrigerator: Eggs, Scrambled (cooked in my 10 year old non-stick Calphalon Fry Pan) and Orange Juice. xD

Edited by robirdstx (log)
  • Like 4
  • Haha 8