• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! 2017 (Part 2)

kayb

Nothing bland about your breakfast!  Nice. 

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

2 hours ago, Anna N said:

I found the watercress cream to be very, very bland. Even with the addition of some lemon zest and salt and pepper it remained rather blah.  I made only half the recipe but I have an enormous amount of leftover rather tasteless watercress cream.

Cress as  I recall from my childhood had a lot more bite to it, I thought, but perhaps that was because I always ate it in mustard and cress sandwiches and the bite came from the mustard rather than the cress. 

I bought watercress twice for recipes from Simple and found it disappointingly tasteless. I have a recollection of it adding a nice peppery bite to little cucumber sandwiches so I tried a second time in case the first one was just a bad batch but both were the same. Unless I can taste it first, I'll be subbing in another peppery green.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

I bought watercress twice for recipes from Simple and found it disappointingly tasteless. I have a recollection of it adding a nice peppery bite to little cucumber sandwiches so I tried a second time in case the first one was just a bad batch but both were the same. Unless I can taste it first, I'll be subbing in another peppery green.

Glad to hear it is not just me with the memory of something just a little more tasty!

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

On 5/12/2017 at 9:24 AM, HungryChris said:

FRESH   SALSA

This recipe is one I developed over a few years in an effort to duplicate a salsa at a local Mexican restaurant, who's owner took her own recipe to the grave with her.

Deb uses it as graft at work, with great effect.

I used to use jalapeno peppers, but the heat is so inconsistent, that I switched to habaneros.

Place the following in a blender in the order listed.

2 heaping TBS of good ground cumin

2 large cloves of peeled garlic

1 heaping TBS kosher salt

1 small bunch of fresh cilantro (big enough so that the stems, when bunched, would cover a dime)

1 stemmed habanero pepper

1/2 of a medium red onion, quartered

4 medium sized tomatillos, paper skin removed, of course, and  quartered

5 Roma tomatoes, quartered

1/4 cup fresh squeezed lime juice

Pulse this all up until there is enough room in the blender to add an 8 oz jar of roasted red peppers, drained.

Then pulse until the salsa has a rough chopped consistency.

HC

Have saved this, as I plan to make some salsa this summer when tomatoes come in. Have you ever water-bathed any of this? I love the sound of the flavors combo.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

I was full of breakfast plans. A full "English" so far as is possible in China. Bacon, egg, blood sausage, mushrooms, perhaps a tomato.

But when it came to cooking it, the urge disappeared. I guess I just wasn't that hungry. So instead I kept the star of the show and ditched everything else.

bps.thumb.jpg.9c63dd94d5658567af6c054b569b76e9.jpg

I had a simple blood sausage on baguette (shop bought). Didn't even butter the bread - while not greasy as such, the sausage is moist enough not to need lubrication. Lots of salt and pepper and a mug of strong black coffee and I'm ready to face the day.

• Like 3

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

"No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot"
Mark Twain

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

1 hour ago, boudin noir said:

I'm not sure that photo whets my appetite.

Can you make bood sausage look appetizing?  I would find it exceedingly challenging but I'm awfully glad that someone shared their breakfast photo with me and, as an aside, reminded me how long it's been since I enjoyed some blood sausage.:)

image.thumb.jpeg.f6c2665842e78147d14741e64724eebe.jpeg

I knew when I awoke this morning that I wanted some of the bread I had baked yesterday and I wanted some blue cheese. I mixed up a bit of mayo, some minced garlic, some seasoning and added some Parmesan and blue cheese. Hit the spot. 

• Like 5

My 2004 eG Blog

2 hours ago, boudin noir said:

I'm not sure that photo whets my appetite.

I wasn't aware that it was a beauty competition. I recorded and posted what I ate for breakfast. And will continue to do so - for the benefit, if any, of those with imaginations and don't only judge with their eyes.

• Like 3

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

"No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot"
Mark Twain

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

19 hours ago, kayb said:

Have saved this, as I plan to make some salsa this summer when tomatoes come in. Have you ever water-bathed any of this? I love the sound of the flavors combo.

I have only made it fresh and have never cooked it in any way. I really think heat would change the flavor.

HC

6 hours ago, liuzhou said:

I was full of breakfast plans. A full "English" so far as is possible in China. Bacon, egg, blood sausage, mushrooms, perhaps a tomato.

But when it came to cooking it, the urge disappeared. I guess I just wasn't that hungry. So instead I kept the star of the show and ditched everything else.

bps.thumb.jpg.9c63dd94d5658567af6c054b569b76e9.jpg

I had a simple blood sausage on baguette (shop bought). Didn't even butter the bread - while not greasy as such, the sausage is moist enough not to need lubrication. Lots of salt and pepper and a mug of strong black coffee and I'm ready to face the day.

I have some blood sausage buried in my freezer somewhere.  I need to find it.  Looks good!

image.thumb.jpeg.a55cb042d0c27bfac71b0d5d28baa95f.jpeg

Many eggs found their way directly from the farm to my house yesterday.  I am glad I smeared the watercress cream on the plate rather than on the food as it had acquired a bitter undertone.   Whatever is left I am afraid will be binned.   The watercress was four dollars (for 100 g) so I'm not impressed. I'm not blaming the recipe because I really do believe this watercress is just too bland to do the job.  

• Like 7

My 2004 eG Blog

image.thumb.jpeg.5448ba07fa4993087ed076abf61d5247.jpeg

• Like 8

My 2004 eG Blog

On 5/16/2017 at 8:40 AM, HungryChris said:

Leftover scalloped potatoes and asparagus, from Sunday dinner, with snow peas and fried zucchini.

HC

IMG_2174.thumb.JPG.9227b560d50b00454f60058d098b9065.JPGIMG_2176.thumb.JPG.1f08c2d9c01576d48546ac43df58905d.JPG

Hi HC, I am sure you have posted this before, but would you share your method for making your fried zucchini? Thanks!

Edited by robirdstx (log)

3 hours ago, robirdstx said:

Hi HC, I am sure you have posted this before, but can you share your method for making your fried zucchini?

I would be happy to!

First, slice the squash however you choose, then into a bowl of slightly salted water, shake them off and put them in a plastic bag of flour, shake the bag each time you add a slice, or they will clump together. I brush the excess flour off of each one with a pastry brush (see picture below), then into a watery egg wash. Shake each one off and shake it in a bag of seasoned bread crumbs with added garlic powder and tajin. I fry them in peanut oil at 375F, until golden brown, drain on paper towels and serve.

HC

Here is my 'pastry brush' from a local discount store.

IMG_2193.thumb.JPG.22b8d62fb91813ec6586dc3768f89b48.JPG

• Like 4

Allan & I having Toasted Turkish bread with avocado, tomato with a drizzle of balsamic.

IMG_20170518_072457.thumb.jpg.7fe0b608ddc2147814fc88353cfb0a1a.jpg

That's a frozen banana in the background. I was thinking about a smoothy as well.

• Like 5