• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch! What'd ya have? (2017)

blue_dolphin

image.jpeg.eeef5d5bb62475803d0e451d39b225c8.jpeg

• Like 6

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

One of our favorite places for lunch this time of year is in the town I grew up in, Mystic, Connecticut. The Captain Daniel Packer Inne ( the DPI) is an ancient tavern that was brought back from near extinction many years ago. It was here that I first experienced the magical combination of roasted garlic, crusty bread and soft butter. To this day, I can make a meal of this just by adding a small salad. Mystic is a tourist destination in the summer, so it is off limits to us then, but in the early spring on a nice day, it's where we like to go. There is a full scale restaurant upstairs, but the little tavern room downstairs is one of our favorite places.

58e151c5a7eb8_TheTavernRoom.thumb.jpg.fec8e122ca170cf8f37c9929dce972cf.jpg

Today we got a table by the fire.

58e14dec673e3_Tablebythefire.thumb.jpg.13e08c47757bc222f05f047d9cde96d7.jpg

The prerequisite roasted garlic, bread and butter is always the starter and today I added a few oysters and a half priced draft, The Captain's Daughter, from a local brewery called Grey Sails.

58e161b4a56cd_roastedgarlliccrustybreadandbutter.thumb.jpg.beb50ca824a617452e2bd79ea4e4185c.jpg

58e14f2b9c834_oystersroastedgarliccrustybreadnexttothefire.thumb.jpg.8d968ffac762e14547561bb87cdba416.jpg

Deb chose lemon chicken with beurre blanc sauce and roasted garlic mashed potatoes. I will be attempting to replicate the chicken soon. The roasted garlic mashed potatoes (hiding under the lemon) is already in my wheelhouse and was inspired  by the ones I had here.

58e150b1af12f_lemonchicken.thumb.jpg.f0a2ad72d10c3bcdcab1005060e0cabc.jpg

I chose another app, mussels fra diavolo.

HC

Mussles Fra Diavolo.jpg

Edited by HungryChris
Found a better pic of the mussels fra. (log)
  • Like 11

I had leftover (uncooked) rice noodles from yesterday's dinner. I mixed them with some extremely hot sambal olek I had made moths ago (and was left in the freezer), I believe it contained dried and fresh chillies, garlic and tamarind. I then added coconut milk and flakes, some tahini and plenty of scallions. It was really good, I already want to make it again ^_^ Maybe with thicker noodles, and toasted cashews.

20170328_204033.thumb.jpg.3f350faa7c78fee217a71fe4dacb745f.jpg

• Like 10

~ Shai N.

Wow @shain. Just from your photograph I am already reaching for a glass of milk or a mango lassi. 

• Like 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpeg.1a7cbfc99330b76f1ffd42f30d0425bd.jpeg

Sometimes you get to damn well please yourself.

• Like 9

My 2004 eG Blog

I've been bringing salads to work for lunch recently.  This one had pears, apples, almonds, turkey and Gorgonzola dolce

IMG_4075.thumb.JPG.273746686334a75dc0de39d79470f02a.JPG

Yesterday I brought tuna with olive oil, capers, pepperoncini and almonds

IMG_4079.thumb.JPG.5be6492b9c5da7335900a07e31fe464a.JPG

and today I have roast salmon with plums, feta and almonds in a berry vinaigrette

IMG_4091.thumb.JPG.7294123ecfbb4a5ca7556b5f64c7ace4.JPG

• Like 11

Beautiful salads, @liamsaunt!  

Ginger-miso pumpkin & mushroom from Diana Henry's Simple.  I substituted some butternut squash for the pumpkin.  

IMG_4808.thumb.jpg.163c7ff2c8ffe6f3730c36e5e712857b.jpg

There was supposed to be a sprinkle of black sesame seeds, which I remembered after the photo and added but was too lazy to take another.

• Like 11

6 minutes ago, scubadoo97 said:

A Cuban sandwich, sadly from Publix prepared sandwich cooler but doctored it up when I got home and pressed and toasted it wrapped in foil on a medium hot comal 

I have never had a Cuban sandwich but last week, I spied a Cuban sandwich truck at the local farmers market so I may give one a try tomorrow.  

If a Cuban sandwich from Publix in FL is sad, I'm sure that one from a So Cal food truck is even sadder but unlike you, I won't know the difference xD!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, scubadoo97 said:

What made it sad?   Poor bread? Meat? Method of heating?

Oh, I haven't tried it yet.  Since you said your sandwich was "sadly from Publix," I was just speculating that a food truck in the So Cal burbs would be even more sad.  I'll post tomorrow if the truck is there again.

A Cubano is, fortunately, a relatively easy thing to make, especially if you make a big pork roast into mojo pork and then freeze it in meal-sized portions. I get in the notion periodically and make them, along with some moros y cristianos and fried plantains.

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Well, no Cubano for me today as I decided to try the Breton tuna and white bean gratin from Diana Henry's Simple.  I like all the flavors in this dish but was a bit put off by one of the comments on EYB - "This grey slop looks like something that might have been served to Oliver Twist,"  and "The best that can be said for it is that it tastes marginally better than it looks."  Oh dear.  

I was a little worried that it would be overly mushy so I didn't purée the beans into oblivion and decorated my plate to provide plenty of contrast

IMG_4811.thumb.jpg.d29117742b29fbb7ac7086326ca02645.jpg

Crispy crackers, crunchy toast rubbed with garlic, sweet/tart/colorful pickles (pickled beets and sweet potatoes from Deep Run Roots and purchased cornichons) and limes to squeeze over top. 

I quite liked it.

IMG_4816.thumb.jpg.9a6c1bda2306fd36eb2500fa83b86f4d.jpg

Edited by blue_dolphin
to add additional photo (log)
  • Like 8

Honest it wasn't me that said anything unpleasant about beans and tuna  but I might have.xD

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpeg.4264f3a31cddb0f52633ae327e03aa35.jpeg

Another recipe rescued from the "Recipes that Rock" goldmine.

• Like 9

My 2004 eG Blog

Sesame seared ahi tuna and hickory smoked salmon. I like to first work on the tuna , dipping it into the kicked up soy and sesame oil. Then I go after the more aggressively flavored, but equally good, smoked salmon, using the marinated onions and mushrooms as a pallet cleanser between bites. The cold local IPA, Already Taken, goes well with everything.

HC

IMG_1705.thumb.JPG.bd2808b4baf7158359018157ba817a3e.JPGIMG_1704.thumb.JPG.4ac4449c419a1992a8ee6cb9ace09cff.JPG

• Like 9

I actually wanted this for breakfast but was too busy running errands...

93% lean ground beef mixed with some Worcestershire cooked medium rare, lightly toasted squishy hamburger bun, mashed avocado and mayo, lettuces and some Cabot White Oak cheddar melted on the burger.  2 napkins as the lovely juices dribbled down to my wrist.

• Like 6

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

10 hours ago, suzilightning said:

I actually wanted this for breakfast but was too busy running errands...

93% lean ground beef mixed with some Worcestershire cooked medium rare, lightly toasted squishy hamburger bun, mashed avocado and mayo, lettuces and some Cabot White Oak cheddar melted on the burger.  2 napkins as the lovely juices dribbled down to my wrist.

Food fantasies can be good when you can't get the real thing. I hope you have time to slow down and realize your dream.

> ^ . . ^ <

On April 6, 2017 at 3:18 PM, blue_dolphin said:

Well, no Cubano for me today as I decided to try the Breton tuna and white bean gratin from Diana Henry's Simple.  I like all the flavors in this dish but was a bit put off by one of the comments on EYB - "This grey slop looks like something that might have been served to Oliver Twist,"  and "The best that can be said for it is that it tastes marginally better than it looks."  Oh dear.  

I was a little worried that it would be overly mushy so I didn't purée the beans into oblivion and decorated my plate to provide plenty of contrast

IMG_4811.thumb.jpg.d29117742b29fbb7ac7086326ca02645.jpg

Crispy crackers, crunchy toast rubbed with garlic, sweet/tart/colorful pickles (pickled beets and sweet potatoes from Deep Run Roots and purchased cornichons) and limes to squeeze over top. 

I quite liked it.

IMG_4816.thumb.jpg.9a6c1bda2306fd36eb2500fa83b86f4d.jpg

@blue_dolphinWhat's EYB? Looks good to me.