• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch! What'd ya have? (2017)

blue_dolphin

@Shelby,

It has a strong "aroma" that will put some people off. I'm not going to predict how you would like it, but I will tell you how I was first exposed to it. I enjoy reading about things like the making of fish sauce and kimchi, but had never tried it. I worked with a guy that I became good friends with. His wife is Korean. One day I was visiting and I asked her if she ever made her own kimchi, which she often did. She whipped up a batch of kimchi fried rice in what seemed like 5 minutes and put it down in front of me and I liked it very much. We make the hour each way trip to Hartford every month or so and I read about a big Asian market there (A'Dong), that I began to visit. I could write all day about the things I enjoy seeing in those markets! Things that upon visual inspection, you don't know if they belong in a salad or the fireplace, but I digress. At first I would buy little one pint jars and chop it up to use on hot dogs instead of sauerkraut, then made the jump to sandwiches and was chopping it up to make a spicy tartar sauce, that Deb even likes (she likes kimchi fried rice too). The little jars would be empty before I knew it. I then made the leap to quart jars and began to crave it every few days. I began eating it as a side dish or just right out of the jar. Now I buy it in two quart jars (2 at a time) and get nervous when I start to run low. I began locating little hole in the wall markets that I could buy kimchi in that were nearby and crossed many of them off after looking at the use-by-date. If I am running low, I will make a special trip to nearby (1/2/hr) Cranston, where I know I can get the size and brand I like. Plus I like the cleaned up empty 2 quart jars for home made refrigerator pickles. I would be interested to read how you felt about it, if you do decide to take the plunge. (The kimchi in the picture is not my favorite, but pretty close and the only one I can get on my normal shopping excursions).

HC

IMG_1282.thumb.JPG.cde592a85c047d650d0a3d7b2e197bc8.JPG

Edited by HungryChris (log)
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, HungryChris said:

@Shelby,

It has a strong "aroma" that will put some people off. I'm not going to predict how you would like it, but I will tell you how I was first exposed to it. I enjoy reading about things like the making of fish sauce and kimchi, but had never tried it. I worked with a guy that I became good friends with. His wife is Korean. One day I was visiting and I asked her if she ever made her own kimchi, which she often did. She whipped up a batch of kimchi fried rice in what seemed like 5 minutes and put it down in front of me and I liked it very much. We make the hour each way trip to Hartford every month or so and I read about a big Asian market there (A'Dong), that I began to visit. I could write all day about the things I enjoy seeing in those markets! Things that upon visual inspection, you don't know if they belong in a salad or the fireplace, but I digress. At first I would buy little one pint jars and chop it up to use on hot dogs instead of sauerkraut, then made the jump to sandwiches and was chopping it up to make a spicy tartar sauce, the Deb even likes (she like kimchi fried rice too). The little jars would be empty before I knew it. I then made the leap to quart jars and began to crave it every few days. I began eating it as a side dish or just right out of the jar. Now I buy it in two quart jars (2 at a time) and get nervous when I start to run low. I began locating little hole in the wall markets that I could buy kimchi in that were nearby and crossed many of them off after looking at the use-by-date. If I am running low, I will make a special trip to nearby (1/2/hr) Cranston, where I know I can get the size and brand I like. Plus I like the cleaned up empty 2 quart jars for home made refrigerator pickles. I would be interested to read how you felt about it, if you do decide to take the plunge. (The kimchi in the picture is not my favorite, but pretty close and the only one I can get on my normal shopping excursions).

HC

IMG_1282.thumb.JPG.cde592a85c047d650d0a3d7b2e197bc8.JPG

Thank you, Chris, for taking time and I love your story!  I feel the same way (scared to run out) about pickled beets.....   I will have to try kimchi.  Next time I'm at the Asian market I will try to find the brand that you've shown me.

• Like 1

@HungryChris

Have you thought of making your own kimchi? It's about as easy as it gets. I know that because even I can do it.:o

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

3 minutes ago, Anna N said:

@HungryChris

Have you thought of making your own kimchi? It's about as easy as it gets. I know that because even I can do it.:o

I have made quite a few batches that were good, but finding decent heads of Napa cabbage around here is both difficult and expensive, for some reason. It's cheaper to buy kimchi.

HC

1 minute ago, HungryChris said:

I have made quite a few batches that were good, but finding decent heads of Napa cabbage around here is both difficult and expensive, for some reason. It's cheaper to buy kimchi.

HC

Ok then.  I am often lazy enough to buy it, too. 

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

fish.thumb.jpg.1c1d194a819ca4390420b6547f884a63.jpg

Today's lunch. Fried yellowtail fish (Don't ask me which of the hundreds of varieties of fish which are called "yellowtail".) With just salt and black pepper and, as you can see, lemon.

Served with home-made bread and butter.

Last time I did these fish, I deep fried them because I had to hand a wok full of clean enough oil (only used once for a plate of chips/fries).  This time I shallow fried them. I think I'll go back to the deep frying. I did buy another 9 later in the day and will gut and de-gill then pop them into the time machine.

• Like 8

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Time machine? Food morgue?

My 2004 eG Blog

41 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Freezer.

As I thought. AKA the food morgue in my house.   But I can only dream of getting fish as fresh as you do so I suspect it would never make it to my freezer.  

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpeg.a4426baf5a0dddf64413aaf634f391da.jpegimage.jpeg.2b72641c4e4d3466e46c44258dcb515c.jpeg

Winter returned to southern Ontario today and I knew as soon as I was awake that soup would have to appear at some point.   This is a sausage, peppers and spinach soup done in the Instant Pot. 

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 8

My 2004 eG Blog

49 minutes ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

Lovely meal and fantastic view!

What is in the miniature gravy boat-looking dish. Tartar sauce, herb butter, mayo?

A grainy mustard mayo. It was delicious !

• Like 2

last of the tomato vegetable soup with half a toasted Black Forest ham and Finlandia lacey Swiss sandwich.  I'm sorry but as I have gotten older I find that when I find a flavor I prefer I use it.  I have eaten other lacey cheeses but they don't have the same taste.  Am I a horrible person?  (it has been suggested that I should just be grateful that I have food).

• Like 5

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

No, you're NOT a horrible person...or I am, too.  I love Black Forest ham and Finlandia swiss sandwiches.  When times have been tough I've been sure to fit the things I love into my existing food budget, as I'm sure you do.  Life is too short to not enjoy the things we love.

• Like 3