• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch! What'd ya have? (2017)

blue_dolphin

Made another batch of chocolate paste, this time with twice as much 99% pure cocoa.

LOZpOdZ.jpg

I don't take pills, I eat lots of (oily) fish. Sprats has Omega-3 fatty acids, vitamin D and a high level of vitamin B12.

k5qUgK5.jpg

Also other Northern European foods: North Sea shrimps, Danish trout roe, and sourdough rye.

rqye9jU.jpg

At first I was going to make it Moroccan style (with preserved lemon) but then I decided to add Turkish stringy cheese. The lemon makes it extra nice. Fez is on my list.

QIQuU2z.jpg

Edited by BonVivant (log)
  • Like 11

What glorious-looking sausages, @Steve Irby! We were on a sausage-making kick for a while, got sidetracked and haven't gotten back to it.  The texture of yours looks perfect.  It's strange how much more I appreciate sausage texture and structure, after trying for myself. ;)

• Like 4

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Two course lunch, no less.

soup.thumb.jpg.0d5657859064c07e8c9cce55d7d233ef.jpg

A simple veg soup - carrot, leek, mushrooms, garlic in a chicken stock. This was not a fridge clearance job - I bought the veg specifically to make this.

Served with the disastrous bread I baked a couple of weeks back. The loaf got stuck to the baking tin and broke when I attempted to blast it out. But I threw it in the freezer in disgust. Hauled it out this morning and let it defrost. It's fine for tearing into lumps and dunking.

Followed by

cheese.thumb.jpg.818375358dbc73dc14ed026534896f79.jpg

Cheddar cheese and seaweed crackers (an excellent substitute for banana bread). More than just this lot were eaten.

Edited by liuzhou
typo (log)
  • Like 10

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

image.jpeg.d1ab702d719d7be96985387953804103.jpeg

Was in Starsky's (a local European spermarket) again today and fancied a meat pie.  If any such thing existed, I was unable to chase it down. So I settled for two ready-to-eat chicken legs. Also, because @HungryChris is driving me nuts with his zucchini, I bought some of that too. In lieu of his hot sauce I opted for my currently preferred fire and sprinkled on some Korean chili threads. 

• Like 9

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Nothing much to look at, but I made jambalaya to take for my lunch this week. Subbed barley for rice. Pretty good. Took twice as long to cook, but not bad.  

• Like 5

That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.

CornedBeef Sandwich :  home SV'd CB , lightly smoked in the Weber , whole grain bread , Spinach , Mayo and freshly made

Honey dijon ( TJ's dijon mixed w a little honey , far better than bought pre-mixed honey-dijon )

58c03185ae503_CBSSnad.thumb.jpg.6c247697c65d6639e8279f6b9b6762f8.jpg

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 13

37 minutes ago, rotuts said:

CornedBeef Sandwich :  home SV'd CB , lightly smoked in the Weber , whole grain bread , Spinach , Mayo and freshly made

Honey dijon ( TJ's dijon mixed w a little honey , far better than bought pre-mixed honey-dijon )

58c03185ae503_CBSSnad.thumb.jpg.6c247697c65d6639e8279f6b9b6762f8.jpg

Want.

• Like 1

A long time ago i used to make Reuben Sands.

the CB is so good , smoked or not , all i need to do is locate some good Rye Bread.  id like to pass on the seeds

i know where to get good swiss , and 'kraut '

then there is the whole issue of

monte cristo sandwich

I have this sandwich made , after grilling , with a light béchamel w a touch of swiss in it , melted , hot , poured over

maybe that has a different name ?.

• Like 1

Salad rolls with romaine, mint, sous-vide chicken breast, red carrots, radishes

Fresh salad rolls with romaine, mint, sous-vide chicken breast, red carrots, radishes

Fresh salad rolls with romaine, mint, sous-vide chicken breast, red carrots, radishes

Croque Monsieur with a béchamel sauce (I used porchetta from Trader Joe's in mine so it wasn't completely traditional), with some tender greens on the side (with a walnut oil and balsamic vinegar dressing)

Croque Monsieur

• Like 13

Salad of mixed greens, smacked cucumbers and turkey Waldorf salad -  that roasted turkey breast, shallots, celery salt, minced apple, chopped pecans, Cain's mayo and some slaw sauce.

• Like 4

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

@suzilightning - oh, that sounds good!  Now I have a craving for turkey Waldorf salad.  By 'slaw sauce' do you mean prepared Cole Slaw dressing?  If, so, which brand do you use?  We discovered years ago that it tasted very similar to Heinz Salad Cream - a British product that my English stepsisters and stepdad introduced us to.  Oddly enough, I never use it to make slaw - I always mix my own.  But I think the purchased stuff would be really good in a chicken/turkey salad.  Hmmmm.

13 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

By 'slaw sauce' do you mean prepared Cole Slaw dressing?  If, so, which brand do you use? 

Either Marzetti's, Marie's or my great-grandmother's cooked dressing.  Depends on if I had a coupon or not as to if the bought dressing is in the fridge. And DON'T use more than about 1 1/2 tsp for about 8 oz of meat.  Come to think of it they do have a taste if salad cream...I think it's that tiny bit of sweet and vinegar.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Just now, suzilightning said:

Either Marzetti's, Marie's or my great-grandmother's cooked dressing.  Depends on if I had a coupon or not as to if the bought dressing is in the fridge. And DON'T use more than about 1 1/2 tsp for about 8 oz of meat.  Come to think of it they do have a taste if salad cream...I think it's that tiny bit of sweet and vinegar.

I think you are absolutely right about not using too much.  For something so mild, it packs a LOT of flavor - I think it must be the sweetness - really easy to overdo.  

My mother was THRILLED when my sisters accidentally discovered the similarity.  Salad cream was almost impossible to find here in the 70's and really expensive to ship over from relatives in England and it was the ONLY salad dressing they would use!

• Like 1

image.jpeg.775553f9815454110b4524b21009e988.jpeg

Brought leftovers home from the restaurant yesterday (see The Ladies Who Lunch).   It was very meat-centric. So I sautéed some more onions and peppers, re-heated the beef with a little water and a little more pomegranate molasses in the microwave and made a very tasty lunch.

• Like 9

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

I was on @Anna N's breakfast wavelength, but for lunch; a ginormous Bosc pear and a wedge of Rogue River Creamery blue cheese.

58c36a22cc054_pearncheese.jpg.4c41519e31df35a256dc3b104ba31cc2.jpg

That's on a dinner plate, for scale purposes.

I finished off the pear and about half the wedge of cheese.

• Like 9

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

image.jpeg.9c4724ffd567292d7f9e24acc1c26176.jpeg

The never ending doggy bag.   More of the food I brought home from the restaurant on Thursday. Once again I fried up some onions and peppers and added in the leftover meat and piled it all into a broiled portobello cap.   There are still at least two more meals worth!  I think they are going into the freezer.  I can do leftovers only so many days in a row.

• Like 6

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpeg.5b138c4eae05ee20b3eff3f4f71d254a.jpeg

Salad of beets, canned mandarins, walnuts and a combination of goat and Gorgonzola cheeses with some lightly toasted walnuts.  

• Like 11

My 2004 eG Blog

Roe

nzWmVA5.jpg

Simply dusted with seasoned potato starch and pan-fried.

csHWVzi.jpg

AMk5tZM.jpg

German meatballs with potato salad and Sauerkraut.

KGOB5lf.jpg

1 of the 2 most popular ways of eating meatballs in Netherlands. However, this is my way.

xjBSXqx.jpg

Drizzled with gravy just before I ate it. White stuff is grated horseradish

kXFbqkk.jpg

3 of these are extremely stinky. All raw milk. I am rarely replused by cheese smell but the square one in the middle is extreme. 

YwPyiud.jpg

Edited by BonVivant (log)
  • Like 10