• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Unexpected Food Gifts

liuzhou

This afternoon I presented a grateful colleague with seven pounds of Rancho Gordo beans.  And in return I now have another square foot or two of floorspace in my dining room. 

• Like 7
  • Haha 7

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

11 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

This afternoon I presented a grateful colleague with seven pounds of Rancho Gordo beans.  And in return I now have another square foot or two of floorspace in my dining room. 

I've been doing that a lot lately, too. It might be time to stop my subsscription, as sad as that makes me. 

• Like 1

Deb

Liberty, MO

11 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

What makes RG beans so great?

They're heirloom beans, organically cultivated. Some varieties are being rediscovered thanks to a project @rancho_gordo has going in Mexico. There's a lot of love and discussion about them here: Rancho Gordo: Beans and More

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

26 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

What makes RG beans so great?

What Smithy says, all of which contributes to the fact that they are good for you and taste great. Besides that: They are fresh. They are consistent. They are beautiful. The packages are tidy and easy to open and they are clean. Almost never are found stones, dirt or weird beans. And if you order $50 worth of stuff, which is easier than ever to do, the shipping is free.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Katie Meadow said:

And if you order $50 worth of stuff, which is easier than ever to do, the shipping is free.

Not to Canada, however, which is where @ElsieDis currently located. Shipping costs are high these days and I understand that companies have to recover those costs but it makes some purchases prohibitively expensive. With Rancho Gordo, Canadian shoppers are limited to certain items also. 

https://www.ranchogordo.com/collections/heirloom-beans-canada

Their shipping costs vary according to weight and postal code. For my location, shipping started at $34 US and I was able to put 6 packages (6 pounds) of beans in my cart before the shipping cost rose higher. Total cost was about $75 US at that point, which is over $100 in Canadian dollars. That's a lot for 6 pounds of beans! 

I have ordered from Rancho Gordo to ship to a Canadian friend as a gift. She loves beans and enjoyed them, but would never be willing to pay that much to buy them herself. 

RG has a nice selection of different varieties, though they are often sold out of some. RG gave beans a bit of a cool image, I think. 

Canada does grow a lot of beans though not as many varieties as RG supplies. @ElsieD, here is Ontario Bean Farmers info:

https://ontariobeans.on.ca/types-of-beans/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

As probably previously mentioned @rancho_gordo Steve Sando is one of us  from the early days. Passionate and great sense of humor. We support his efforts. This New Yorker profile is old enough so may not be behind paywall.   https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2018/04/23/the-hunt-for-mexicos-heirloom-beans

Edited by heidih (log)

2 hours ago, TdeV said:

@Maison Rustique, there is an RG Bean Club subscription LIGHT. I get fewer beans (probably miss some great varieties), but my cabinet is less full!

Yeah,, I already switched to that. With only 2 of us and my husband so ill now, he barely eats and I barely eat because I'm on the stress diet. We just can't keep up with it. I've donated way more than I've used in the last couple of years.

• Sad 3

Deb

Liberty, MO

This afternoon I ordered a six pack of the local brew from my local beeratorium. They arrived 20 minutes later and it turned out that they had also thrown in a seventh as a thank you gift for my custom! I have been buying from them for about 15 years so ...

sevenpack.thumb.jpg.ed185a1d3a1be06a79f9e00318692cf5.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 7

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Yesterday must have been Food and Drink Gift Giving Day in China, a previously unknown festival. Not only did I get a free can of beer (above post), but when I ordered dinner for delivery, they threw in this bag of shrimp crackers, free and gratis, without charge!

_20231118062348.thumb.jpg.3309ec45d65e9b12db8625477205a297.jpg

_20231117193655.thumb.jpg.7646b7881d866be361e1309916840353.jpg

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

Yesterday was our 39th anniversary. Since my husband's dementia has gotten so bad, he often doesn't know I am his wife and certainly did not understand that it was our anniversary. A rather sad day for me.

It cheered me immensely when the doorbell rang. It was our neighbors' daughter who started a bakery business in her apartment during the pandemic when her college classes were all messed up. She has absolutely killed it with her fabulous baked goods in this area. She now rents a commercial kitchen space and two local coffee shops carry her pastries. Anyway, my beloved sister ordered some pastries to help get me through the day and it was Kirin delivering them.

Rai's Bake Shoppe

May be an image of babka

May be an image of babka, cinnamon roll, crumbcake, tart and turnover

• Like 14
  • Delicious 1
  • Sad 3

Deb

Liberty, MO

1 hour ago, Maison Rustique said:

Yesterday was our 39th anniversary. Since my husband's dementia has gotten so bad, he often doesn't know I am his wife and certainly did not understand that it was our anniversary. A rather sad day for me.

That's rough. Nothing can make it better, but this kind of thoughtful gesture from a loved one helps.

I visited yesterday with a cousin of mine here in NS. Her husband was diagnosed in his early 50s with an extremely aggressive form of dementia, which had largely incapacitated him within a couple of years of the diagnosis. He's just 62 now, and it looks like he will have one more Christmas at home with his wife and daughter, which I would not have bet on a year ago at this time. It's getting very near the point where she can't care for him at home anymore, even with a nurse (their daughter) in the home.

They were college sweethearts, and will be celebrating their 42nd anniversary at the end of December. I expect it will be a bittersweet moment.

ETA: While I was there she gifted me with about 15 pounds of apples from a neighbour's tree, and part of a Costco-sized chunk of parm that she wasn't going through quickly enough (just to bring this back into topicality). This represents only about half of the apples she herself was gifted by the beleaguered owner of the tree, and she knew I'd make use of them.

Edited by chromedome
Fix typo, add a paragraph (log)
  • Like 9

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

4 hours ago, Maison Rustique said:

It cheered me immensely when the doorbell rang. It was our neighbors' daughter who started a bakery business in her apartment during the pandemic when her college classes were all messed up. She has absolutely killed it with her fabulous baked goods in this area. She now rents a commercial kitchen space and two local coffee shops carry her pastries. Anyway, my beloved sister ordered some pastries to help get me through the day and it was Kirin delivering them.

Rai's Bake Shoppe

May be an image of babka

Beautiful pastries but my heart goes out to you.  The hardest thing in the world I think is to lose a beloved spouse to dementia.  

• Like 5

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

• 2 weeks later...

Bit of an odd morning.  I was being wheeled through the crowds (it's a busy hospital) to a treatment room when someone called my name. An ex-student who graduated with a good MA about ten years ago. Neither of us had time to stop.

About 15 minutes later she reappeared bearing a large shopping bag of  gifts from the hospital shop - a typical polite reaction to running into me. Chinese custom.

Later, back in my cell, I found two large bao buns (stuffing as yet undetermined),  two boiled eggs, two half litre containers of soy milk, two cobs of damnation (my students weren't so aware of my c@rn aversion as people here) and two bottles of purified drinking water.

The kindest nurse of the day will get the corn and the runner-up the the soy milk. The rest I'll use.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

On 11/18/2023 at 8:57 AM, Maison Rustique said:

Rai's Bake Shoppe

May be an image of babka

I'm so sorry that you are going through that.  It is the most damnable disease I've ever witnessed.  But what a lovely gesture from your sister!  Having understanding and thoughtful loved ones is a blessing.  

• Like 3

As noted elsewhere, I ordered a bottle of The Pogues Whiskey for Christmas and to toast the late Shane MacGowan. It arrived  this afternoon.

ThePoguesWhiskey.thumb.jpg.5f53867d2fd9d1317baa18c34c1432eb.jpg

What was unexpected was that it was accompanied by a complimentary bottle of vodka. A brand I don't know. J. J. Whitely Artisanal Russian Vodka. Good old Tsarist name that, J. J. Whitley. Still they seem to have a good reputation.

vodka.thumb.jpg.9ed8e8e19e7bb2dc440927c4a359f053.jpg

Why I've been sent this, I've no idea, but hey, it's Christmas and I did empty my Stolichnaya bottle last night. And "Free Vodka" is my favourite brand!

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 8
  • Haha 4

I failed to take photos, but a few days ago one of our neighbors brought us some Christmas cookies, bourbon pecans (I need to get the recipe from her!) and Ghirardelli peppermint bark. Then, yesterday, our next door neighbor brought us pastries from his daughter's bakery (The one I posted about before Rai's Bake Shoppe)--various croissants and pop tarts. We split a fudge pop tart and a cranberry orange pop tart last night and they were flaky and dellicious.

• Like 5

Deb

Liberty, MO

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know where else to put this but they seem to be a gift from some little bird who deposited a seed right outside my back door. The plant has grown to be humongous and this is about my 10th Harvest. There seems to be no end to them. They just keep on keeping on and right now it is full of little green tomatoes and a ton of blooms.

20231218_101148.thumb.jpg.42c1c716ad952d065b110302449ffdd2.jpg

At the price that they charge for cherry tomatoes here, that's about $5 worth of tomatoes right there. I'm not complaining.

Edited by Tropicalsenior (log)
  • Like 14
  • Delicious 2

At the price they charge for cherry tomatoes here, that's $25-$30 worth of tomatoes (mind you that's in $CDN, so perhaps $18-$20 USD).

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

15 hours ago, chromedome said:

At the price they charge for cherry tomatoes here, that's $25-$30 worth of tomatoes (mind you that's in $CDN, so perhaps $18-$20 USD).

I told Carlos that if these keep producing like this I'm going to send him out on the street selling tomatoes. Maybe I ought to just send him to Canada with them.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4