• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Unexpected Food Gifts

liuzhou

1 minute ago, MaryIsobel said:

I haven't thought of Garibaldi biscuits for years. My great aunts always had them on hand for out after church visits for tea. They called them currant biscuits. Were these purchased in Canada?

Yup - at a Brit shop 

4 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Yup - at a Brit shop 

Lovely, thanks. Not aware of a Brit shop near me, but next time I visit Victoria I'm sure I can find them. Great memories. The great aunts also had those hard little animal shaped cookies that were iced in pink or white with non-pareils for special occasions. They probably tasted horrible, but any "store bought" cookies were such a novelty to us that they seemed like a luxury.

47 minutes ago, MaryIsobel said:

Lovely, thanks. Not aware of a Brit shop near me, but next time I visit Victoria I'm sure I can find them. Great memories. The great aunts also had those hard little animal shaped cookies that were iced in pink or white with non-pareils for special occasions. They probably tasted horrible, but any "store bought" cookies were such a novelty to us that they seemed like a luxury.

they ship and they are in Surrey 

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

McVities are quite international. Their products are easy to find here in China.

But not Garibaldis (not a McVities product), although there is a local version which isn't at all bad.

No doubt, you have been wondering all your life what McVities is in Chinese - 麦维他 (mài wéi tā).

http://www.mcvities.com/

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 3

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

• 1 month later...

Though unfortunately I could not attend or help with this year's Chocolate Workshop , I nevertheless benefitted enormously from it. 

IMG_2993.thumb.jpeg.4d901f5cd896d86fac596e47a1120456.jpeg

To the left @Chocolot's signature packaging and wonderful bonbons!  To the right a selection from the Show and Tell session of the workshop with some of the product from the workshop itself.   

IMG_2994.thumb.jpeg.f5c41093a1941f48e36b7b6a192d324c.jpeg

then, as if @Kerry Bealdid not have enough to do keeping everybody on track of the workshop she found time to visit Trader Joe's, Sam's Club, Wegmans and who knows what else. There will be more photos to follow as I get up the energy.

• Like 15

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

7 minutes ago, rotuts said:

is ' something ' of flavor.

Mural of flavor. 

• Like 3

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

5 minutes ago, KennethT said:

@Anna N Wow, that is quite the haul!!  I've said this before, but if everyone had a friend like @Kerry Beal, the world would be a much better place.  All of those chocolate pieces look amazing - those are some talented folks.

Kerry makes the world a better place and not just for me! You are right we need more Kerrys in this world. Most of those who have known Kerry become better human beings as a result of her quiet example. 

• Like 12

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

There will be more photos to follow as I get up the energy.

IMG_2995.thumb.jpeg.a66975f94004f7db40b235afe1fff912.jpeg

At the top is a Cave-aged Blue from TJ's. The Beehive Cheeses are from @Chocolot. The chuck eye has some siblings in my freezer. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

My 2004 eG Blog

5 minutes ago, Anna N said:

At the top is a Cave-aged Blue from TJ's. The Beehive Cheeses are from @Chocolot. The chuck eye has some siblings in my freezer. 

That apple walnut cheese looks interesting.  I'll be right up.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Shelby said:

That was my thought too. You'd be very welcome! 

Edited by Anna N
To remove a photograph that suddenly appeared. (log)
  • Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

And finallyIMG_2996.thumb.jpeg.a6a3bc694f496ffd7b0c4d9d26d9cf51.jpeg

@JoNorvelleWalkershares some of the responsibility for this!

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

My 2004 eG Blog

1 minute ago, Anna N said:

Ronnie really likes the New England clam chowder.  Many a winter day he has this for lunch in his man-garage.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Anna N said:

13 minutes ago, Shelby said:

I agree that looks interesting, but it's the Red Butte Hatch Chile cheese that catches my eye! Make room for me!

That is a delightful haul from Kerry. I love the looks of the chocolates!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

5 hours ago, Anna N said:

As I recall @rotuts has also served as a resident Progresso shill.  A warm can of Progresso soup has eased my way through many a long night.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Wasn’t exactly unexpected, as I had actually asked for it, but a friend who visited overnight brought me two pounds of Andouille sausage from a little Cajun meat market near Baton Rouge. Red beans and rice coming soon!

• Like 9
  • Delicious 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com