• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2017 (Part 1)

liuzhou

Bought a whole beef tenderloin this week. Cut up the "tail end" and made Beef and Bok Choy stir-fry.

Beef & Bok Choy0002.jpg

Eaten with tofu with spicy toban sauce

Spicy Tofu 0004.jpg

• Like 13

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Hey, I haven't been on here since Mrs. C kicked me out of the kitchen but she is on a work trip this week, so . . . butternut squash curry with coconut milk, chicken stock, dried shrimp, Mussaman curry paste, and basil. Great to see Dejah and Ann_T still posting meals I would love to dig into.

SquashCurry_201701-1.jpg

• Like 20

6 minutes ago, C. sapidus said:

Hey, I haven't been on here since Mrs. C kicked me out of the kitchen but she is on a work trip this week, so . . . butternut squash curry with coconut milk, chicken stock, dried shrimp, Mussaman curry paste, and basil. Great to see Dejah and Ann_T still posting meals I would love to dig into.

SquashCurry_201701-1.jpg

Welcome back!

• Like 8

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

Tomorrow will be Chinese New Year's Eve. So, for the next few days or weeks I will be force fed Chinese food. Tonight, I made a last break for independence.

Fish and chips.

I bought a sea bass and managed to stop the vendor butchering it for the only dish she knows how to make. Took it home, de-scaled and gutted it, then filleted it. Salted and peppered and pan fried it.

With double cooked chips.

For dessert I ate the other fillet with more chips!

sea bass.jpg

sea bass and chips.jpg

First course

sea bass and chips2.jpg

Dessert

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 18

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

8 hours ago, C. sapidus said:

SquashCurry_201701-1.jpg

Bruce!!!!!!!!!  We have missed you a lot!  How are your boys????  All grown up I guess by now.  You tell Mrs. C to share the kitchen because we need to see you here ;) .

Hotdogs with homemade jalapeño mustard and kraut.

photo.JPG

• Like 13

8 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Bruce!!!!!!!!!  We have missed you a lot!  How are your boys????  All grown up I guess by now.  You tell Mrs. C to share the kitchen because we need to see you here ;) .

Shelby!!!!!!! Great to "see" you! Boys are good - younger son is half-way through college, and elder son is graduated and working.

Oh man, I do love dogs and kraut.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, liuzhou said:

For dessert I ate the other fillet with more chips!

Good goin'! That's my kind of dessert!

• Like 1

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

@HungryChris -- I am putting hearts of palm on my grocery list. I love the things, and never think to get them. One of my favorite salads is them with early summer peas and asparagus, with a red wine viniagrette and lots of grated Parmigiano. And a sauteed mushroom or two or a dozen. 

ETA -- dinner tonight, so far, is an old vine zin, to be joined eventually (read: when I get up) by some cheese, charcuterie and olives.

Edited by kayb (log)
  • Like 6

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Last night's dinner: a chickpea, kale, and spicy pomodoro stew with pecorino cheese, from the current issue of Food and Wine magazine.  It was good, but I liked it better for lunch today.  Most soups and stews taste better to me the next day.

chickpea stew.jpg

• Like 17

16 minutes ago, liamsaunt said:

Last night's dinner: a chickpea, kale, and spicy pomodoro stew with pecorino cheese, from the current issue of Food and Wine magazine.  It was good, but I liked it better for lunch today.  Most soups and stews taste better to me the next day.

chickpea stew.jpg

Agreed that soups and stews, particularly those with tomatoes (to me, at least) taste better the the next day. Science geeks (which would not be ME, who has yet to look at the opening assignment for the EdX course, and likely won't), is there any reason behind this?

Don't ask. Eat it.

41 minutes ago, kayb said:

@HungryChris -- I am putting hearts of palm on my grocery list.

Oh man, what a memory-tree shaker. A lifetime ago when we entertained on a regular basis an hors d'oeuvre we liked to serve was hearts of palm and cream cheese with deli ham wrapped around them, sliced.

Dinner tonight is very pedestrian, hamburger gravy riched up to pretend it's stroganoff served over noodles with a side of green beans from a can because canned green beans is a childhood good taste memory.

• Like 5

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

Tex-Mex Enchilada Casserole

Leftover Taco Meat and Diced Duck Breast were mixed together with Hatch Tex-Mex Enchilada Sauce to create the filling for the enchiladas.

IMG_0196.JPG

Corn tortillas, softened in hot oil and drained on paper towels, were filled and rollled with some of the meat sauce, chopped onion and shredded cheese.

IMG_0197.JPG

After filling the baking dish with the rolled enchiladas, the balance of the meat sauce was ladled on top...

IMG_0198.JPG

...and topped with more of the shredded cheese.

IMG_0199.JPG

The casserole was baked in a 350 F oven for 30 minutes, just to heat it through and melt the cheese.

IMG_0202.JPG

Served with sliced avocado.

IMG_0203.JPG

Edited by robirdstx (log)
  • Like 16

Found an amazing new Japanese fish monger who gets shipments three times a week.

Unreal selection, everything from Amberjack to various grades of Toro.

Tonight I picked up a yellow stripe Sea Bream.  Pan fried with a bit of butter, my 3 year old exclaimed that it was his favourite fish ever and tasted almost as sweet as lobster - I had to concur. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, kayb said:

@HungryChris -- I am putting hearts of palm on my grocery list. I love the things, and never think to get them. One of my favorite salads is them with early summer peas and asparagus, with a red wine viniagrette and lots of grated Parmigiano. And a sauteed mushroom or two or a dozen. 

To be honest, I can't remember when I had my first palm heart. They can be expensive as heck, but I will not be denied an occasional treat. A local supermarket has a yearly "can can" sale, and I pony right up to that for the year. Here is a peek at my current stash.

HC

IMG_0946.JPG

• Like 6

Dinner tonight, with a second glass of old vine zin.

cold plate.jpg

Clockwise from 12 o'clock -- half a Bosc pear that should have ripened a couple of days; homemade sweet lime pickles, hard salami, capicola, castelvetrano olives, Rougette, a very creamy, very tasty Brie-ish cheese I tried for the first time, a Rogue River blue, a Stilton with mango (marvelous!) and a hard Spanish cheese that reminded me of a young Manchego. More pickles. The brown stuff is quince paste. I'm full, and the dog got a piece of cheese and one of capicola.

Contemplating a third glass of wine for dessert, but...nah.

Last night was a carryout from the barbecue joint a few blocks away. Guess I'll cook tomorrow.

• Like 15

Don't ask. Eat it.