• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2016 (Part 3)

shain

Elsie, that lobster mac and cheese...ohhhh decadent.  I want.

Kay, your bread looks so good!

I splurged last week and bought a rack of lamb and a big 'ole ribeye from D'artagnan.  They were having a sale on lamb and since the shipping was the same, I threw in the steak.  It is my final attempt to like lamb lol.  Mom loves it.  Ronnie loves it.  Mom's husband loves it.  I don't love it lol.  But, maybe SV'ing it will change my outlook.  Anyway...last night we cut the steaks up.  Ended up with 11.  Had to SV a couple for dinner.

photo 1.jpgphoto 2.JPGphoto 3.JPG

Mashed taters and silver queen corn frozen from last summer to go with.....ack I'm down to only one or two bags of corn...come on summer!

• Like 18

@Shelby

Lamb and ribeye.  I am insanely jealous. 

• Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Happy Easter  --  I usually try to cook family type meals for the holidays

My offering of today's     Braciole

Simply meat of the day ( whats looking good-- flank ). a cut of Ham ( Prochute or Serrano ),  Now fresh bread ( egg bread today ) ,  garlic , parsley, boiled eggs -- today I used Asiago and Romano.. top meat with seasoning..  roll and braise

25800248140_d6bce2fabb_k.jpg

Edited by Paul Bacino (log)
  • Like 13

Its good to have Morels

image.jpeg

A dish that has been on my "must make" list for far too long. Aloo Gobi (indian seasoned potatoes and cauliflower).  This rendition was somewhat disappointing. I will be on the prowl for a recipe with more appeal.  

• Like 9

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

48 minutes ago, Anna N said:

A dish that has been on my "must make" list for far too long. Aloo Gobi (indian seasoned potatoes and cauliflower).  This rendition was somewhat disappointing. I will be on the prowl for a recipe with more appeal.  

@Anna N  I make something similar - "Cauliflower, potatoes and peas in spicy herb sauce" (Gobhi Matar Rasedur) from Julie Sahni's  Classic Indian Cooking - that i think is delicious. Let me know if you would like the recipe to try.

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

Vegetables (bell peppers, squash, cabbage, onion) stuffed with spiced rice and lentils. Baked in spiced tomato sauce, made sour-sweet with date molasses and lemon juice, chili for heat.
The filling is rice,lentils, pine nuts, fried onion, garlic flavored with mixture of baharat (all spice, cumin, black pepper, turmeric, cinnamon).

DSCF5812.JPG20160326_152315.jpg

Served with a quick salad of radishes and arugula (both from the garden) in tahini sauce.

• Like 11

~ Shai N.

52 minutes ago, ElainaA said:

@Anna N  I make something similar - "Cauliflower, potatoes and peas in spicy herb sauce" (Gobhi Matar Rasedur) from Julie Sahni's  Classic Indian Cooking - that i think is delicious. Let me know if you would like the recipe to try.

Thanks for your kind offer. I have Julie's book so I will look it up.  

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

2 hours ago, Paul Bacino said:

Happy Easter  --  I usually try to cook family type meals for the holidays

My offering of today's     Braciole

Simply meat of the day ( whats looking good-- flank ). a cut of Ham ( Prochute or Serrano ),  Now fresh bread ( egg bread today ) ,  garlic , parsley, boiled eggs -- today I used Asiago and Romano.. top meat with seasoning..  roll and braise

@Paul Bacino, that is a thing of beauty. I love braciole (and rouladen, too!).

1 hour ago, robirdstx said:

A new holiday tradition for Easter Brunch: Poached Eggs on Crab Cakes with Hollandaise Sauce A La Julia Child and Duck Fat Fried Potatoes.

The only thing that is keeping me from crawling through the computer screen is the fact I am still miserably full from Easter lunch three hours ago -- well, and the slice of Key lime pie I just finished it off with.

6 hours ago, Shelby said:

I splurged last week and bought a rack of lamb and a big 'ole ribeye from D'artagnan.  They were having a sale on lamb and since the shipping was the same, I threw in the steak.  It is my final attempt to like lamb lol.  Mom loves it.  Ronnie loves it.  Mom's husband loves it.  I don't love it lol.  But, maybe SV'ing it will change my outlook.  Anyway...last night we cut the steaks up.  Ended up with 11.  Had to SV a couple for dinner.

Mashed taters and silver queen corn frozen from last summer to go with.....ack I'm down to only one or two bags of corn...come on summer!

Ditto the above two comments on your ribeye, Shelby. It's finally getting warm enough to grill, so I'll be using steaks from my steer in the upcoming weekends.

We had the planned-on (and mostly prepped/cooked yesterday) ham, spring pea salad, asparagus, corn pudding, mac and cheese (for the kids), deviled eggs and pickled quail eggs. I ate a shameful amount, not to mention topping it off with a wedge of Key lime pie. I'm about to take a nap!

easter dinner 2.JPGlime pie.JPG

• Like 10

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

8 hours ago, Shelby said:

photo 1.jpgphoto 2.JPGphoto 3.JPG

John hates the taste or smell of lamb ..... except when he tastes it. I love it.  It may be that the fat is what bothers you as it can sometimes taste a bit like lanolin.  

• Like 5

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

5 minutes ago, suzilightning said:

John hates the taste or smell of lamb ..... except when he tastes it. I love it.  It may be that the fat is what bothers you as it can sometimes taste a bit like lanolin.  

I'm going to take yours, and others advice and try to not eat any of the fat on the outside.  Maybe I'll like just the meat.

Johnnybird managed to make it home almost in one piece.  He has slept most of the day away so I had leftovers - green salad and mac and cheese with hotdogs.  I had made him bucatini with olive oil, garlic, herbs and shrimp for dinner when he got home last night.  I also had treated myself to a small tray of lasagna rollups from Burrinis market and cooked them off for tomorrow.

• Like 5

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Easter Dinner

Onion/fennel gratin not shown

Deviled eggs- regular yolk/mustard and bacon/onion

0031.jpg

Smoked pork tenderloin with lingonberry sauce

0041.jpg

Potato salad with blackened onions

011.jpg

Roasted veg

0061.jpg

Edited by gfweb (log)
  • Like 16

One of my favorite things about Easter is that lamb goes on sale. This was a mini-leg that I butterflied, painted with Julia Child's mustard-soy-lemon sauce and grilled. After ruthlessly removing all visible fat. There are roast potatoes with garlic and baked tomatoes with breadcrumbs, shallot, garlic, parsley and olive oil. And a salad of endive, romaine, fennel, radicchio, pears, pecans and probably a few other things that I forget.

(Many people dislike lamb. The night before my wedding , 35 years ago!, my soon-to-be-inlaws took us out to dinner. I ordered lamb. My almost-mother-in-law looked at me and said "You're not going to eat that, are you?" It was definitely a warning. I love lamb.)

DSC00845.jpg

• Like 12

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina