• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! 2015

Anna N

Continuing the "Things on Toast" theme:

whole wheat bread with truffled goat cheese and Mr. Stripey tomato slices

potato bread with some peanut butter and Cape May wildflower honey

• Like 4

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Mortadell.jpg

its 6:30

Mortadella lettuce tomato mayo pickle sandwich.

its the fresh from the oven at MarketBasket onion roll that makes this sandwich.

the rolls are still warm when i get them home.

Mortadella was on sale. which fortunately for me is a rare occurrence .

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 3

I made grits for Sunday breakfast and sometimes make a lot more than we need. Nothing new there.

Fried grits like fried polenta are so good. Usually a fried egg on top is heaven but have had decent tomatoes and randomly bought a Florida avocado the other day. Unlike the Hass they are big but more watery in texture and flavor. This is the avocado I grew up eating. It's been a long time and they looked good and were on sale so decided to give it a try

d3584d6db1670ba6cb6cd31c169711c3.jpg

Hi scubadoo97,

Your breakfast looks absolutely great to me.

I used to have leftover grits frequently too. Yours look lightly fried, and I like mine pretty browned.

I quit making extra because one of the few kitchen tasks I just despise is cleaning up grease pops all over the range top and surrounding area. I actually bought a stainless steel splatter screen to deal with fried leftover grits and fried corned beef hash. I started making corned beef hash in the oven to avoid the cleanup, but haven't found a way to deal with leftover grits, which I really like fried. I use 4 c water to 1 c grits on the initial cook, and cook them a lot longer, because they are gritty and live up to their name when following package instructions, so mine are creamier, softer and contain more water than most.

Any advice on technique?

I suppose I could follow directions to reduce water content, but that means I'd have to make a special batch for frying, because I just don't like gritty grits.

• Like 1

> ^ . . ^ <

TFTC, appreciate the kind words.

I usually just follow the recommended ratio, can't remember is that 3:1 or 4:1. I also cook them a long time and add a touch of butter and possibly some cheese for creaminess and flavor. If they get tight I add more water as needed

Left over grits get refrigerated and then they are easy to cut for pan frying.

I usually just dust with Wondra and either use a small amount of oil or cooking spray to lightly brown. So little mess. A heavier browning is always nice just takes a bit more time which is at a premium on a work day morning

• Like 1

image.jpg

Pressure cooker "poached" eggs on toasted, home-made bread.

• Like 8

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Great looking eggs Anna, what procedure do you use to do them in the pressure cooker? I love post eggs but have never done them in a pressure cooker, maybe I'm missing a great technique!

I've learned that artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Great looking eggs Anna, what procedure do you use to do them in the pressure cooker? I love post eggs but have never done them in a pressure cooker, maybe I'm missing a great technique!

click

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Kim,

I would love to share your breakfast.

Have you thought of putting your black sea salt through a grinder? A regular pepper grinder would work, if you have a spare. If you don't, the cheapest grinder may be the Trader Joe's plastic ones they sell smoked salt, Himalayan pink salt, and some of their other spices in. I was a little skeptical when I saw that the actual grinding mechanism is also plastic, but they defy logic and physics and actually work. They also come filled, and are refillable. You could empty the contents to another container and have a grinder for your black salt for $1.99 (the last time I bought one anyway).

• Like 2

> ^ . . ^ <

image.jpg

What a way to start the day. Toast made from homemade bread, cream cheese and Suvir's Tomato Chutney.

• Like 5

My 2004 eG Blog

Just finished making a bunch of whole wheat blueberry pancakes that can be heated up easily by Johnnybird in the microwave then maple syrup while I am out and about...

• Like 5

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Kim,

I would love to share your breakfast.

Have you thought of putting your black sea salt through a grinder? A regular pepper grinder would work, if you have a spare. If you don't, the cheapest grinder may be the Trader Joe's plastic ones they sell smoked salt, Himalayan pink salt, and some of their other spices in. I was a little skeptical when I saw that the actual grinding mechanism is also plastic, but they defy logic and physics and actually work. They also come filled, and are refillable. You could empty the contents to another container and have a grinder for your black salt for $1.99 (the last time I bought one anyway).

Thanks for the Crepes – that is an awfully good idea!  Shelby apparently has the same issues with her flakey black salt – hope she sees this, too!  Thank you!

• Like 1

21429465392_4c9ef76e33.jpg

I am getting tired of green ..now it is time for red and I received my first sampling of this years crop in red from New Mexico ..YAY!

Red stacked enchiladas ..ice cold fresh picked concord grapes with coriander seed, basil and sliced fresh Korean chilies and some garlic …

breakfast has always set the tone for the day for me ..today I need to bust my ass 

PS my husband says I am unable to  cook eggs ..look at that thing????!!!!  it is a perfect egg I say! Especially for an enchilada..it is  crispy on the bottom and raw on the top ..he is very critical of me and my egg! 

(not shown is a huge glass of water and a  mason jar full of black coffee..and motrin ) 

Edited by hummingbirdkiss (log)
  • Like 3
why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet