• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! 2015

Anna N

image.jpg

Made it up! Orzo tossed in a little toasted sesame oil and a few drops of soy sauce. Sauteed asparagus and cremini mushrooms. Rolled and sliced one-egg omelet and a chopped scallion.

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpg

Mushrooms, asparagus and cheese frittata.

• Like 7

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpg

Sweet potato "fries" with mayo and homemade chipotle ketchup dip.

• Like 4

My 2004 eG Blog

Two things that make my day - delicious fruit (bonus, these berries are local) and really good cottage cheese. I don't know if I am getting fussier but it is so hard to find cottage cheese I enjoy. There is a brand here called Island Farms which I adore and I usually just buy the low-fat (1%) but it tastes so creamy/tart. Lately, when I am in other places, I try all kinds of cottage cheese and some are OK but most are meh at best. I seem to recall cottage cheese being better overall, this was mentioned on another thread by other people also. 

Anyway, I'm not really a morning person so I don't usually work very hard to make breakfast. This is my kind of meal. 

IMGP4291.JPG

• Like 2

my kind of breakfast, too. Today I didn't have the cottage cheese or yogurt, but had a good fresh apricot and some blueberries (not so good) with a biscotti. Since I usually eat cottage cheese with fruit, I've been buying the "no salt added" variety, which allows for some customization.

• Like 1

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

Sweet potato "fries" with mayo and homemade chipotle ketchup dip.

Are those fries look coated with something?

I recently watched ATK make sweet potato fries by boiling them briefly with baking soda then tossing them with a corn starch slurry before frying. Haven't tried it yet but I will eventually.

https://www.americastestkitchen.com/recipes/7775-thick-cut-sweet-potato-fries

Are those fries look coated with something?

I recently watched ATK make sweet potato fries by boiling them briefly with baking soda then tossing them with a corn starch slurry before frying. Haven't tried it yet but I will eventually.

https://www.americastestkitchen.com/recipes/7775-thick-cut-sweet-potato-fries

Yes, they were tossed in cornstarch and oven-roasted. Not particularly successful in terms of being crispy.

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpg

Grated radishes, butter and blue cheese mooshed together and spread on Wasa crackers.

• Like 6

My 2004 eG Blog

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Grated radishes, butter and blue cheese mooshed together and spread on Wasa crackers.

At first glance, I thought they were some kind of fancy new pop-tarts. :biggrin: 

Then I read the text and looked closer and felt kinda dumb. Actually, a radish, butter and blue cheese pop-tart does sound pretty tasty...

• Like 2

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

At first glance, I thought they were some kind of fancy new pop-tarts. :biggrin: 

Then I read the text and looked closer and felt kinda dumb. Actually, a radish, butter and blue cheese pop-tart does sound pretty tasty...

Could only be an improvement on the commercial versions which I suspect come out of a chemical lab. My inspiration did not come out of thin air nor from my aging brain. I had seen a recipe for radish butter which called for a food processor. That seemed overkill for the amount needed so my only real leap of genius was figuring out that I could grate the radishes and that adding some blue cheese would perk up the flavour. I love figuring out something different for the first meal of the day.

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpg

Sauteed portobello on a toasted dinner roll.

• Like 4

My 2004 eG Blog

blueberry muffin.JPG

I may possibly -- just POSSIBLY -- have put too many blueberries into this batch of blueberry muffins. But they were the first blueberries of the season, purchased at the farmers' market this morning before 8, and sitting on my plate with an excessive amount of melted butter by 9. Oh, well, consider them a blueberry cobbler in a muffin tin.

After all, nothing succeeds like excess, right?

• Like 7

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

image.jpg

Visually it has little to recommend it but this again is from Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall's Three Good Things. In this case homemade bread, lightly toasted, walnut oil and buckwheat honey with a light sprinkling of Malden salt.

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpg

Leftover mushroom ragout on toasted homemade bread.

• Like 5

My 2004 eG Blog

I had 1/3 cup of All Bran Buds with psyllium floating in ~1 cup of 1% milk and a banana... bet you're all wishing you'd had breakfast at my house! :biggrin:

• Like 2

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

I had 1/3 cup of All Bran Buds with psyllium floating in ~1 cup of 1% milk and a banana... bet you're all wishing you'd had breakfast at my house! :biggrin:

Love your sentiment but not your breakfast!

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpg

Creamed tomatoes on toast in the style of Simon Hopkinson.

• Like 4

My 2004 eG Blog

" creamy " is almost always better

may i ask which book this is from.

wonderful reads those books.

lots of though went into them.

It is from Roast cCicken and Other Stories but is also readily available on the web.

My 2004 eG Blog