• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! 2015

Anna N

Phill Bernier

very nice on those HashB's

I think you've got it right w the grating and removing the water.

just leave then in the pan a bit longer.

BTW   I have visited GB several times, and stayed in various B&B's

loved it all

however, I don't see that Bacon I used to love  :  the rasher w the Canadian Loin like bit attached

sad not to see it

now that we know 'processed Meats' are going to kill us  .....

those studies do not mention the Smiles on our Faces when we enjoy the Rashers and the Sausage.

bangers I love, but can't get here

thanks for your posts.

• Like 1

Phill Bernier,

Some folks make hashbrowns by parboiling and cooling the potatoes before grating them. I like them this way. It gives a fluffier, crisper result like the double fry method for French fries. If you haven't already tried that and decided you like your method better, I would give it a shot. 

• Like 2

> ^ . . ^ <

image.jpeg

Likely a repeat of a recent breakfast. Toasted light rye bread topped with Suvir's tomato chutney (see RecipeGullet for recipe).

• Like 6

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpeg

Shavings of gruyere on toasted rye lightly warmed under the broiler.

• Like 7

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Wow! Some amazing images here - I particularly like your breakfast flatbread blue_dolphin.

A bit of a naughty breakfast for me this morning. Perhaps unspectacular to many, but American hash browns are a recent discovery for our family, a world apart from their triangular, mushy potato cousins of the same name in the UK. 

Since our return from the US last Christmas I have been on a mission to find the best method of cooking these and have found that the trick appears to be to wash the grated potato then squeeze the bejeebers out of them using a clean tea-towel until they're completely dry. Fried in a bit of rapeseed oil with a good sprinkling of salt and I'm getting close to my idea of perfection. They're not quite as golden as I would like but I think my aversion to cooking cooking oil might be to blame...any tips always welcome :-)

You just can't beat good hash browns :)

My husband worked at a truck stop when he was a teen.  He made tons and tons of hash browns.  The truck stop always used the leftover baked potatoes from dinner the night before.  Using those, you don't have to squeeze any water out.  Just grate them up and fry them :)

• Like 1

also, consider not peeling your potatoes.

I've never even considered cooking them prior to making hashbrowns.  I like the taste and texture of them if you just use shredded raw potatoes.  I do leave the cover on top of the pan for a little while when I 1st put them in but that's the only precooking they get.  I definitely prefer them with the peel still on!

I've learned that artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

peel = taste

perhaps some health benefits ? 

think how well The Potato would do w/o its skin trying to GrowUp.

it possible, that a tiny bit of those Benefits might accrue to you

taste is enough for me.

you are allowed to remove the NarlyBits etc.

image.jpeg

Toast with garlic and herb Boursin and just a sprinkling of nanami togarishi for good measure.

• Like 7

My 2004 eG Blog

2015_10 duck hashIMG_5256.JPG

Duck flannel hash.  Topped with 2 over-easy eggs.

Roasted a pair of huge duck legs last night, and had some leftover duckie.  And roasted some assorted potatoes, etc. That's what's for breakfast!

• Like 9

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

weinoo

nice looking breakfast.  I do something along those lines w left-over turkey stuffing.

left-over turkey stuffing ?  :blink: 

how is this possible you say :   I make a lot of extra just for leftovers.  however in my case I use water-poached eggs.

BTW  is that a T-Fal pan ?   if so how do you like it ?

I have two.

they do.   I saw them on the test kitchen.  I have the 8 "  ( for eggs only ) and thee 12 "   for 'stir-fry' a la TK

http://www.amazon.com/T-fal-Professional-Thermo-Spot-Indicator-Dishwasher/dp/B000GWG0T2/ref=sr_1_1/186-1997626-3140153?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1446301438&sr=1-1&keywords=t-fal+professional+non-stick

I use the 8 " on an induction 'hob'  'Burton'   the 12 " is a little big for that induction plate but nice for a slow sate

of note :  both my pans are not perfectly flat, but not damaged as far as I can tell and uniform in shape

still work fine.   very nice 'hand-feel' to these pans.

is you pan 'flat?'   check on a flat surface w a little water in it    enough to fill the sides only

as I say work fine, good feel   etc.

I paid in the low 30's for the 12 "

impossible to figure Amazon's pricing policy.

a bargain at $ 26

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1

Eggs scrambled with smoked salmon, latkes with peach butter, and a slab of apple-walnut oatmeal bread.

breakfast.JPG

I like my eggs scrambled more dry than most of you likely do. Can't explain why that's the case, as I want my fried eggs runny. Go figure.

The salmon came from some I bought from the local community foundation, which smokes and sells it annually as a fundraiser. Two packages this size -- between a pound and a half and two pounds each -- for $50. A bargain, and GOOD smoked salmon, too. I'll enjoy it for a good while.

salmon.JPG

I scrambled the eggs with parsley, chives, tarragon and dill.

eggs.JPG

The latkes are just standard latkes -- potatoes, onion, salt and pepper, eggs, cracker crumbs.

latkes.JPG

• Like 13

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

kayb

wow

so delicious looking

Rats

Ive got a Turkey ML and Mash w Semi-home made gravy  ( better than you can buy by a Zillion % ) and peas

as out standing this might be to me

(  ******************* )

well  I could have the above tomorrow

if I would have what you are having.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Poached egg over thinly sliced black forest ham.

• Like 11

My 2004 eG Blog

Thanks, Ann, sometimes I get it right!

When for what ever reason you must rely on others to purchase your groceries you are bound to end up with something you would normally eschew. Pencil asparagus, like steaks that are less than 1 inch thick, ranks high on my list! But there it is in my fridge and I will not waste it. Chopped into inch long pieces and sauteed with some mushrooms it made a nice topping for a piece of toast. After I had scraped the contents of the pan onto the toast I poured a little cream into the pan and melted some Parmesan into it to finish off my breakfast.

image.jpeg

• Like 10

My 2004 eG Blog

I found a bowl! YAY!!!

my husband hates when I eat this for breakfast and ask for a big sloppy kiss! ..personally I think it is HIS problem he will not eat kimchi 

this truly is one of my very favorite things to eat when I wake up …a fresh egg over easy ..home made napa kimchi, diakon kimchi and warm Calrose rice  I dump more kimchi juice on it as i eat…. (I drink this kimchi juice out of a glass it is so good right now) ..feeling the vit C and probiotics fend off winter germs ..or it is my breath

22409644188_a3e179a38c.jpg

good morning friends! Happy eating today!!! 

Edited by hummingbirdkiss (log)
  • Like 6
why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet