• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! 2015

Anna N

24 minutes ago, rotuts said:

are those 'crumbly' spice cookies ?  a fav of mine

I believe these would be best classified within the Russian Tea Cake/Mexican Wedding Cookie spectrum.  There is a nice mix of finely ground (for a crumbly texture) and chopped (for crunch) nuts.  Both walnuts and almonds, I think.  Very nice with a cup of coffee!

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)

image.jpeg

Toasted ciabatta with Danish blue. 

• Like 9

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Christmas morning.

IMG_4092.jpg

I vaguely remember I also had some smoked salmon scrambled eggs, but that was possibly a false memory. There is certainly no remaining evidence. Hic.

Edited by liuzhou
typo (log)
  • Like 10

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

568072bbeb718_frenchtoast.JPG.08e1419720

Stuffed French toast topped with apple butter, with a slice of leftover Christmas ham made a fine Boxing Day brunch. With a mimosa. OK, maybe two mimosas. Two large mimosas. :ph34r:

• Like 4

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

5681667f90a27_paodequiejo.JPG.b296593b1c5681668ae7da8_pdqbuttered.JPG.2b385658de

Pao de quiejo, Brazilian cheese bread. I used a bit too much garlic (I tend to add garlic by the theory that if the recipe calls for x, x times 1.5 is generally better). Odd mouth-feel; it starts out like a regular drop biscuit texture, and then morphs into a more chewy-gluey, but not unpleasant, texture.

Don't know that I'd make it often, but it was an interesting experiment.

• Like 4

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

2 hours ago, kayb said:

I tend to add garlic by the theory that if the recipe calls for x, x times 1.5 is generally better

I do that, too.  And then I observe that some of the cloves are a bit small so maybe 2 X the recipe would be best.  Plus maybe a little more since I really like garlic.....

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)

I have discovered 'Steel cut oats', Whites, from Ireland.

As long as you remember to soak them overnight (pinch of salt) they cook quickly.

I dress the dish with evaporated milk, no sugar:

IMG_2692.jpg

• Like 2

Martial.2,500 Years ago:

If pale beans bubble for you in a red earthenware pot, you can often decline the dinners of sumptuous hosts.

9 minutes ago, naguere said:

I have discovered 'Steel cut oats', Whites, from Ireland.

As long as you remember to soak them overnight (pinch of salt) they cook quickly.

I dress the dish with evaporated milk, no sugar:

IMG_2692.jpg

Mmmm.  I love steel cut oats and need to pick up some more.  So warming on a chilly morning.  I want to try them out in the Instant-Pot.  I noticed lots of people like to set them up in the pot at night with the timer set to have them all cooked and ready first thing in the AM.

• Like 3

I coo0k these 'straight-up' in a fuzzy rice cooker on 'Porridge'.  its the reason its the reason got thing a zillion years ago:

I cook them w milk and there is no scorching.

I have not used theIP for this but it might work as well.

• Like 3

" Bagel & Lox"

mise :

Mise Bagel.jpg

most of the stuff is from TJ's  Not the bagel which was underdone, but that was cured in the CSB. The 'Pastrami style' SAS was nice

the cr. cheese was Silver Goat, also from Tj's.  I add a tiny bit of milk or water and mix that up first.  SG can be crumbly and difficult to deal with

this fixes that.  I like SG as its a bit tart.

Salmon Break.jpg

pretty nice for New Years Day at 6:15 am

Fortunately ( Un ? ) I don't have cable, so no Rose Bowl for me nor for Mister Cat.  he does not know that at the moment.

Go Higher Education !  Greed is Good !  

as Mr. Potato Heads says in Toy Story :  "  Money Money Money "

I won't add the clips this time

and a Happy New Year to all !

• Like 15

As the lucky recipient of some of this, breakfast was a toasted English muffin with chicken liver pate and a few Campari tomatoes sprinkled with Maldon salt. image.jpeg

• Like 9

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Today I enjoyed leftovers from yesterday's brunch:

IMG_2370.jpg

Not pictured:  a piece of slightly stale panettone, resuscitated in the Cuisi-steam oven and coffee. 

Much more relaxing to scavenge this from the fridge than yesterday when I had to get up at the crack of dawn to clean the house from the NYE festivities and get brunch ready for the group!

• Like 10

Catalan family breakfast:

Embotits (cured meat & cold cuts): clockwise Bull negra (blood sausage), Xoriço, Pernil dolç (sweet ham), Pernil salat (Iberico ham), Salsichon. In the middle Fuet (cured mini salami) and Ahle Worscht (a clay room-cured raw sausage from my hometown in Germany). My two year-old demolished the carefully arranged plate in seconds - he loves his Fuet.

Fromatge (Cheese): two goat cheeses from the Pyrenees.

Dolçes (sweet stuff): Ensaimada (snail-type dough/park fat concoction dusted with caster sugar), Canya (puff pastry filled with custard cream and sprinkled with pine nuts) and a Croissant.

Coca: sweet yeast dough rubbed with oil and sugar.

All eaten on Pa amb Tomaquet (bread rubbed with ripe tomato, olive oil and sea salt). Freshly squeezed orange juice.

Good start !

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 11

image.jpeg.630d32a406840f84b5c0ef03b579c

Inside out mushroom omelette.  

• Like 11

My 2004 eG Blog