• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Absurdly, stupidly basic cooking questions (Part 2)

Pontormo

Here is a basic question. I read recipes where people use parmesan rind as a source of umami in recipes (for broths, soups, etc) and it's always seemed like a great idea. However, I've tasted the rind of the slices of parmigiano reggiano that I get at Trader Joe's (usually the stravecchio kind), and they taste quite moldy to me, so I toss them away. But maybe that is the normal taste of the rind when it's uncooked? Just thought I'd ask. 😄

• Like 2

ive never made much of using the rind of any cheese 

in stock ,broth ,soup or sauce , as something that floats around in ' it '

if there is something in the rind i want in what ever its said would be good

\

to float around in ,  i in , I grate the rind right into it.

done.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 2

Wasn't there something where you fried or baked the rinds of parmesan? I seem to remember handing them all over to @Anna N to do that cause she really liked them. 

• Like 5

i can see maybe baking or frying maybe

just not simmering.

the question is how hard it the rind you plan to use .

I grate before it gets very very hard

Edited by rotuts (log)

I save Parm rinds and use them in soups and sometimes when cooking beans. I have to admit that I never stopped to taste the rinds but I’ve never picked up a moldy taste or smell in anything I've made with them. 

Edited to add that I’ve got some stashed in the freezer and will be sure to give them a good sniff before I use them. 

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 4

12 hours ago, TdeV said:

@weinoo would know.

11 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

I save Parm rinds and use them in soups and sometimes when cooking beans. I have to admit that I never stopped to taste the rinds but I’ve never picked up a moldy taste or smell in anything I've made with them. 

Edited to add that I’ve got some stashed in the freezer and will be sure to give them a good sniff before I use them. 

Yes, I always use the rinds; sometimes when making a soup or, as suggested above, in a pot of Tuscan style white beans. I, too, have never noticed an off taste - but let's not forget, old (sliced?!) (stravecchio) parmesan might just be funky in and of itself.

IMG_1465(2).thumb.jpeg.4d802a8abe2809a7dcdebb8c5a5e7f55.jpeg

There are little pieces of parm rind in the above soup; I basically cut the rinds into 1/8" dice and they add a certain meaty (okay, umami) flavor.

• Like 5

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

16 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

I've been buying them for a while and blame either @weinoo or @Katie Meadow.

I confess (and so should Katie).  One of my favorite things to have at hand, because the make for  good gildas!

And since I can't find a picture of my own, here's one better styled anyway:

image.thumb.png.7e960c8bfc61051895314305a62a3ffe.png

With a recipe!  Saveur. (Does anyone really need a recipe for a gilda?)

• Like 3

Tasty Travails - My Blog

1 hour ago, Maison Rustique said:

You know that internet recipe for roast beef in a  crockpot that has dry ranch dressing mix and pepperonicinis along with their juice? I bet you could use the juice/brine from these in a similar way. 

Mississippi Roast?

• Like 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog

22 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

I've been buying them for a while and blame either @weinoo or @Katie Meadow.  I can get them at a local import shop.  

The brine is good in a vinaigrette.  Or just toss greens with a splash of brine and drizzle of olive oil. 

Also toss your hot spuds with it prior to making a potato salad. 

I'm not a big pasta salad fan but the aforementioned vinaigrette makes a nice dressing for the sort with bits of cheese and salami. 

If you're making any recipe that uses pickled peppers, look for a way to sneak the brine in to sub for vinegar, lemon juice, etc.

Unconditional approval for use in potato salad.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Do leeks caramelise? Making some cauliflower-leek soup and most of the recipes call for you to saute them, cauliflower, and the onion (if used), in the oil/butter for a few minutes then add the stock to simmer.

I'm wondering if they just assume no one wants to take the time to caramelise them properly, or if it's not worth the bother. 

• Like 1

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

5 minutes ago, haresfur said:

Do leeks caramelise? Making some cauliflower-leek soup and most of the recipes call for you to saute them, cauliflower, and the onion (if used), in the oil/butter for a few minutes then add the stock to simmer.

I'm wondering if they just assume no one wants to take the time to caramelise them properly, or if it's not worth the bother. 

Pretty sure they do and probably add a layer of flavour that makes it worthwhile to caramelize them. 

• Like 2

On 2/28/2024 at 10:23 PM, haresfur said:

I expect that it's a color issue, as much as anything. A leek and cauliflower soup would be pretty white in the normal run of things, and caramelizing the leeks would affect that. I'm personally a flavor guy, so I'd do it, but I see a lot of recipes that emphasize not allowing the aromatics to brown at all on esthetic grounds.

• Like 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

On 2/28/2024 at 9:23 PM, haresfur said:

Do leeks caramelise?

Yes.

On 2/28/2024 at 9:23 PM, haresfur said:

Based on personal experience, it's worth it, so I'm guessing it's the former. 

However, if you're short on time, you can slowly melt some store-bought caramels then gently pour them over the leeks.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

The thing with leeks, assuming they're sliced crosswise and are separating into rings, is that the thinner, outside rings can go from lightly caramelized to blackened while the meatier inside rings are still softening. 
So if caramelization is the goal, best to use thicker slices. 

• Like 2

I never was good at word problems...

Jo has 420 grams of canned blueberries, at 16 Brix.  And a jar of blueberry preserves at 65 Brix.  What weight of blueberry preserves must Jo add to the 420 grams of canned blueberries to achieve a sorbet mixture of 28 Brix?

Thanks for any help.  Make fun of me if you like.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

13 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I never was good at word problems...

Jo has 420 grams of canned blueberries, at 16 Brix.  And a jar of blueberry preserves at 65 Brix.  What weight of blueberry preserves must Jo add to the 420 grams of canned blueberries to achieve a sorbet mixture of 28 Brix?

Thanks for any help.  Make fun of me if you like.

Yikes, a story problem. It hit me like a ton of, well, you know.

But seriously, folks, I believe the answer is 136 grams. The canned berries have 420 x .16 = 67.2 grams of sucrose; 136 grams of preserves contains 136 x 0.65 = 88.4 grams of sucrose. Combine them, and you get 556 grams of sorbet mixture with 155.6 grams of sucrose, or 28 Brix.

Edited by Alex
to fix a typo (log)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Thank you, @Alex.

This afternoon, swapping caffeine for rum and rearranging the problem was a bit more clear.

• Like 1

Where X is the weight of preserves I believe the correct equation is:

28 = (16*420 + 65*X) / (420+X)

I can rearrange that to:

X = 2.32*X - 180

Is it possible to directly solve for X?

• Like 1