• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Absurdly, stupidly basic pastry & baking questions

Toliver

In online recipes for pie crust, vodka is added. Google says it adds liquid in a form that does not develop gluten.

Can any alcohol be used? I think it's only about a tablespoon. I have a number of bottles of burbon left over from a friend's ex- although I don't like the flavour of burbon. I do have brandy though.

Or should I just buy a small bottle of vodka?

11 minutes ago, TdeV said:

In online recipes for pie crust, vodka is added. Google says it adds liquid in a form that does not develop gluten.

Can any alcohol be used? I think it's only about a tablespoon. I have a number of bottles of burbon left over from a friend's ex- although I don't like the flavour of burbon. I do have brandy though.

Or should I just buy a small bottle of vodka?

This Cooks Illustrated article, Using Alcohol in Pie Dough, suggests you can substitute another 80 proof spirit.  I'm not a subscriber, so I had to read fast before I was blocked but it says they made crusts with rum, whiskey and gin and couldn't taste a difference.  

I'd think brandy might add a bit of sweetness and even though they suggest bourbon is fine, I wouldn't use anything I disliked the taste of, just in case.   

Edited to add that this article, How Alcohol Makes A Flakier Pie Crust: The "Proof" Is In The Pie, says:

It doesn’t have to be vodka; other liquors also work--Alton Brown has made an apple pie with an apple brandy crust, as well as a pecan pie with a bourbon crust. 

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I want to make a caramel sauce and the recipe I plan to use calls for corn syrup.  The recipe is written by an American and doesn't state whether one should use white or golden.  Here in Canada we would use golden if the recipe doesn't specify.  What do you use in the States?

5 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

I want to make a caramel sauce and the recipe I plan to use calls for corn syrup.  The recipe is written by an American and doesn't state whether one should use white or golden.  Here in Canada we would use golden if the recipe doesn't specify.  What do you use in the States?

The white stuff. Never seen golden.

• Thanks 1

Agree that an American recipe probably means the light/clear corn syrup, but I have used Lyle's golden syrup in caramel candies and think the flavor goes nicely.  You could also substitute honey or leave it out.  I think dark corn syrup would be too molasses-y.

What syrups do you have and what's the caramel sauce going with?

Edited by pastrygirl (log)
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, ElsieD said:

I would just automatically use the golden syrup.  I seldom have the light variety on hand.  

• Like 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

3 hours ago, pastrygirl said:

Agree that an American recipe probably means the light/clear corn syrup, but I have used Lyle's golden syrup in caramel candies and think the flavor goes nicely.  You could also substitute honey or leave it out.  I think dark corn syrup would be too molasses-y.

What syrups do you have and what's the caramel sauce going with?

These are the syrups that I have.  The sauce is drizzled over puddings, apple blossoms, various tarts, ice cream,  etc.  Guess you could call it an all-purpose sauce.

20230722_201131.jpg

• Like 2

• 6 months later...

So today I learned that I have never creamed butter properly, and as such my cookies always ended wonky, dense and chewy (in a bread kind of way). Today I waited until butter was around 18C, then whisked on low power a bit, and dumped crystal sugar into the butter in thirds. After 10 minutes the mixture expanded in volume a lot and changed into very pale yellow, which is what I want. However, there was still sugar crystals inside I could feel.

I assume this is on the right track, but what could be the reason for this? Not enough whisking? Crystals too big? I heard using powder sugar is NO bueno. I ended up folding flour in and the mixture looks very promising, I'll report tomorrow when I top them with some chopped nuts or glaze. The formula I used was the basic 3-2-1.3 shortbread (I know its 3-2-1 but for me that ends up not sweet enough).

I suspect you'll be just fine.

the theory behind "creaming" butter and sugar is . . . the water in the butter dissolves the sugar.  that plus aeration is why the color goes to pale yellow.

using a high fat content European/plugra style means less water, so depending on the ratio of butter to sugar, you may still have some sugar crystals left.

beating/creaming until the color shift is methinks the best indicator.

• Like 1

On 2/3/2024 at 12:15 AM, AlaMoi said:

I suspect you'll be just fine.

the theory behind "creaming" butter and sugar is . . . the water in the butter dissolves the sugar.  that plus aeration is why the color goes to pale yellow.

using a high fat content European/plugra style means less water, so depending on the ratio of butter to sugar, you may still have some sugar crystals left.

beating/creaming until the color shift is methinks the best indicator.

It might be that, as I live in EU. So extra sugar does not dissolve. Fine by me, the cookie was good by itself, but a great base for chopped toasted nuts.

• Like 1

On 7/22/2023 at 4:13 PM, Darienne said:

I would just automatically use the golden syrup.  I seldom have the light variety on hand.  

I pulled the plug on corn syrup years ago. In my pantry you will find Lyles, Steen's cane syrup, sorghum syrup and Tippleman's Burnt Sugar Syrup. Oh, and maple syrup which I rarely use except on pancakes. I'm not fond of molasses, so I usually sub Steen's. I use the Tippleman's,along with butter, to fry apples as a breakfast treat. It would also be the best option for Jamaican Black Cake, if you are so inclined.

One of my favorite recipes for gingerbread/cake is Laurie Colwin's Damp Gingerbread, which uses Lyles and no molasses. Delicious!

• Like 1

Any differences when using brown sugar in shortbread? I baked a batch replacing white with brown sugar and it came out a bit mealy, kinda dry feeling, like there's unbound sand in there, instead of crisp like the white sugar variety. Perhaps when cooling the borwn sugar will draw in more ambient moisture but it's weird, I baked it until lightly golden edges like I do with the white sugar variety. I also added a bout half a spoon of cinnamon, 1/4 of cloves and some ginger, but that couldn't have been the cause?

• 2 weeks later...

Is there any reason I couldn't substitute spelt flour for all purpose in brownies? Any alteration to amount you would suggest? I'm baking them for a sale and it would be nice to expand the market to include gluten free.

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I thought Spelt was related to wheat and contains gluten. Otherwise it does taste great and you can sub it 1 to 1 for regular flour

Edited by AAQuesada (log)

I stand corrected. I'm sure I've been to a supposedly gluten free bakery selling spelt products, not that that means anything. Any gluten free substitute for flour that would work?

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

I would say try a gluten free flour blend. This website reviewed some available in Australia. https://champagneandgumboots.com.au/blogs/gluten-free-recipes/gluten-free-flour-australia

If you are interested in exploring alternative grains, there is a growing market for them it's worth checking out the book Mother Grains by Roxana Jullapot, who has an excellent bakeshop here in Los Angeles. The book focuses on the most commonly found whole grains. Though not necessarily gluten free

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I want to make a mango pudding that calls for sheet gelatine.  1 1/2 sheets to be exact.  By googling, I have found that this is equivalent to 1/2 tablespoon powdered gelatin.   My question is this:  the recipe calls for the sheet gelatine to be softened  in cold water, then wrung out.  My recipe does not call for any water.  Can I soften it in the cream the recipe calls for?  If yes, do I need to make any sdjustments? TIA.

2 Tablespoons of water or cream to hydrate (6 times the powdered gelatine). Personally I'd just use water it shouldn't be enough added liquid to change the recipe 

Edited by AAQuesada (log)
  • Thanks 1

Can I freeze a half-used glass jar of something?  

Specifically....using half a jar of an Indian curry spice paste today.  I won't use the other half for at least a month or two.  

Do I have to empty the jar into a plastic container before putting in freezer?  Or can I just chuck the jar, tightly screwed with cap, into the freezer?

58 minutes ago, gulfporter said:

Can I freeze a half-used glass jar of something?  

Specifically....using half a jar of an Indian curry spice paste today.  I won't use the other half for at least a month or two.  

Do I have to empty the jar into a plastic container before putting in freezer?  Or can I just chuck the jar, tightly screwed with cap, into the freezer?

Most glass jars can handle freezing with ample headspace, as you've described.  Some of them won't handle rapid thawing, like putting into a microwave or warm or hot water. 

If you think you'll be using it up in one go and will have plenty of time to thaw, I'd go ahead and freeze in the jar. 

If it was a paste I used in smaller quantities, I'd transfer it to a zip lock, smush it out and freeze flat so I could easily break off what I needed without thawing the whole thing. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I was at a bakery the other day and bought a block of butter puff pastry.  However, I'd never use all of it at once.  Can I thaw it, use what I want and re-freeze?  The block measures 6" x 3 1/2 ".

20240304_180043.jpg

Edited by ElsieD
Added puff (log)