• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Savory Baking Topic

Anna N

• 1 month later...

Two types of Indian-inspired stuffed buns.  Served both of these with tamarind & date chutney and coriander and mint chutney, both from Dishoom

Chouriço Pao from Nik Sharma's book The Flavor Equation.

IMG_4542.thumb.jpeg.af503e9bc6eaa866a382da7ec82ece10.jpeg

They are stuffed with a mixture of Goan-style sausage and diced, fried potatoes.  I had some of the chouriço in the freezer after making it from a recipe in his first book, Season

I also made a vegetarian version with the same dough, using a potato recipe from Dishoom as the stuffing:

IMG_4544.thumb.jpeg.35ea3880c26fd19ba449b9abf587d588.jpeg

Per the original recipe, these freeze and re-heat well and I now have a nice stash of buns in the freezer. 

• Like 7
  • Delicious 4

• 1 month later...

Bacon Jam Mini Pies on Sharp Cheddar Crust from The Book on Pie

IMG_4657.thumb.jpeg.aa192b727d8f0d3c223c5860df3b5bae.jpeg

I used the rough puff variation in the book when I made the sharp cheddar crust and cut them into 4" squares before filling and baking.  Bacon jam was @kayb recipe via @Kim Shook.  

The upper right pastry is the tomato jam variation, using the tomato-chili jam from Dishoom

The upper left has bacon jam on the bottom and tomato jam on top. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 3

3 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

Bacon Jam Mini Pies on Sharp Cheddar Crust from The Book on Pie

IMG_4657.thumb.jpeg.aa192b727d8f0d3c223c5860df3b5bae.jpeg

I used the rough puff variation in the book when I made the sharp cheddar crust and cut them into 4" squares before filling and baking.  Bacon jam was @kayb recipe via @Kim Shook.  

The upper right pastry is the tomato jam variation, using the tomato-chili jam from Dishoom

The upper left has bacon jam on the bottom and tomato jam on top. 

I can't move there, so would you come live with me.....and just cook.  ***drooling***

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Some sourdough focaccia made from the recipe at The Perfect Loaf, though I like to add some whole wheat flour. Topped with olive oil/basil purée, mushrooms, Parmesan, and some San Marzano tomatoes that were super ripe and jammy tasting.

A0855243-3525-40CD-A275-9EDAA99ACDB5.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Delicious 1

On 11/23/2021 at 8:02 PM, heidih said:

Would have loved to see the interior shot. I like the bit of nuttiness a touch of whole wheat adds. Nice topping combo.

I know, I should have taken an interior shot, but I always forget. To busy eating! I really like my sourdough starter since it rises so well, and isn’t super sour. The interior of these was a good mix of open crumb with areas of tighter. I’m learning and getting better!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Spinach-Mozzarella Pie with Parm Crumble, a quiche-like concoction topped with a cheese-butter flour crumble from Baking with Dorie

07E5B269-904B-4BEC-96F4-A6AF5B17098F_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.83990d50e40ac431154bed30fd24cbef.jpeg

I don't care for garlic in a quiche and I didn't like it here either but the Parm Crumble topping was a nice touch and I'll be looking for other ways to use it.  Dorie suggests using it on muffins that aren't terribly sweet. I think it would be great on a pear tart or almost any sort of vegetable casserole dish like scalloped potatoes. 

Edited by blue_dolphin
missing words (log)
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 3

• 1 year later...

Mrs. Stasi's Escarole Pie from Claudia Fleming's Delectable.  The filling includes long-cooked escarole, a green that's sturdy enough to retain some texture, savory anchovies, tart olives and pecorino Romano. The dough is a rich crostata pastry that also includes pecorino Romano. Watching a vast amount of escarole cook down into an amount that could fit into this pie was quite fun. I should have taken a picture as the washing and spin drying made my kitchen look like escarole laundry day!  Here's the finished pie:

3FF90077-AB35-424B-9BBD-4E15856E073E_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.a5f0849525c4d7a34862e8eaaeaad5de.jpeg

Cut:

C560C572-7306-424F-984E-B0C5A1EF2879_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.9c04ae0e550c9f31d542c6784a387e79.jpeg

Slice

48482D90-91DE-4E01-BC62-0EC7A677D552_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.515b0858c71e9d4dae2b379668b3ca69.jpeg

From the last 2 photos, you can see there's some dough in the outside crust that's not as well cooked as it could be. The recipe says to brush the egg wash on a 2-inch border around the 12-inch bottom crust. Once the top crust has been added and the edges pressed together, that leaves quite a bit of dough to roll and crimp. I think an inch and a half, or maybe even an inch would still leave enough dough to seal and roll up and it would cook through better. Or maybe trying to to roll it more loosely?  With a 40-min bake time @ 400°F, it certainly wasn't raw and doughy, just a bit soft.

Per the header notes, Mrs. Stasi's family enjoyed this at room temp on Christmas morning. I've tested and it is indeed very good both right out of the oven and the next day at room temp. 

Edited by blue_dolphin
wrong cheese (log)
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

14 minutes ago, lemniscate said:

@blue_dolphin  Where are you finding fresh escarole?   Supermarket?  Farmer's Market?  It's unobtainum in my A.O.   I'm trying to grow my own in grow bags on the patio.

Either my local farmers market or Underwood Family Farms market stand. With all the rain and cool weather we've been having, the escarole and and other greens are looking quite nice. I haven't checked supermarkets for it lately.  

• 10 months later...

Cheesy Jalapeño Corn Bread from Snacking Bakes by Yossy Arefi.  There aren't a lot of savory recipes in this book, but I found one and made a little half recipe in a 6-inch pan so I could check it out. 

470923F2-2DFC-4009-B33D-9E7B50AE1F47_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.a220e895ddd28bc1a7f4332785fbd4c4.jpeg

I was worried it was going to look pale because I used white cornmeal and a sharp white cheddar but the cheese topping browned nicely and it came out fine. Half the jalapeños get chopped and mixed into the batter so you get a little heat throughout. 

At first bite, I thought it was a little sweet but the salty cheese and chile heat balances out the honey used in the batter so I was happy to have it with my breakfast this morning and would probably make it again. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

Beetroot and feta galette with za'atar and honey from Falastin. Recipe available online here. 

5CD3C332-9ED1-4301-9B88-1578637D70E8_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.131a839e232d178686ad571ea1ac04fb.jpeg

This is very good with layers of flavor throughout. Lots of fresh thyme and oregano in the buttery crust, a base of ricotta mixed with garlic (I doubled that after a comment that it didn't stand out and I had really nice homemade whole milk ricotta to use), slow cooked onions with sugar and apple cider vinegar making an agrodolce, tossed with parsley, more oregano and za'atar, slices of roasted beets, topped with feta, drizzles of olive oil and honey, more za'atar and thyme .  

• Like 4
  • Delicious 2

• 4 weeks later...

Pumpkin Tarts with Spinach and Gorgonzola from Roast Figs, Sugar Snow by Diana Henry baked in little 2" x 4" tart pans.

66A586EB-D31D-4148-ABFD-64EB290ED6D5_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.c71441f29c6df491d7b5a9acefa0f99c.jpeg

I usually use these little pans for desserts with press-in crumb or nut crusts so it was a little fussy to fit the pastry dough into the small pans but they came out OK and I'm proud of myself for trying them without the Pillsbury doughboy to supply with the crust!

• Like 6
  • Delicious 1