• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Savory Baking Topic

Anna N

• 1 month later...

Two types of Indian-inspired stuffed buns.  Served both of these with tamarind & date chutney and coriander and mint chutney, both from Dishoom

Chouriço Pao from Nik Sharma's book The Flavor Equation.

IMG_4542.thumb.jpeg.af503e9bc6eaa866a382da7ec82ece10.jpeg

They are stuffed with a mixture of Goan-style sausage and diced, fried potatoes.  I had some of the chouriço in the freezer after making it from a recipe in his first book, Season

I also made a vegetarian version with the same dough, using a potato recipe from Dishoom as the stuffing:

IMG_4544.thumb.jpeg.35ea3880c26fd19ba449b9abf587d588.jpeg

Per the original recipe, these freeze and re-heat well and I now have a nice stash of buns in the freezer. 

• Like 6
  • Delicious 4

• 1 month later...

Bacon Jam Mini Pies on Sharp Cheddar Crust from The Book on Pie

IMG_4657.thumb.jpeg.aa192b727d8f0d3c223c5860df3b5bae.jpeg

I used the rough puff variation in the book when I made the sharp cheddar crust and cut them into 4" squares before filling and baking.  Bacon jam was @kayb recipe via @Kim Shook.  

The upper right pastry is the tomato jam variation, using the tomato-chili jam from Dishoom

The upper left has bacon jam on the bottom and tomato jam on top. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 3

3 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

Bacon Jam Mini Pies on Sharp Cheddar Crust from The Book on Pie

IMG_4657.thumb.jpeg.aa192b727d8f0d3c223c5860df3b5bae.jpeg

I used the rough puff variation in the book when I made the sharp cheddar crust and cut them into 4" squares before filling and baking.  Bacon jam was @kayb recipe via @Kim Shook.  

The upper right pastry is the tomato jam variation, using the tomato-chili jam from Dishoom

The upper left has bacon jam on the bottom and tomato jam on top. 

I can't move there, so would you come live with me.....and just cook.  ***drooling***

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Some sourdough focaccia made from the recipe at The Perfect Loaf, though I like to add some whole wheat flour. Topped with olive oil/basil purée, mushrooms, Parmesan, and some San Marzano tomatoes that were super ripe and jammy tasting.

A0855243-3525-40CD-A275-9EDAA99ACDB5.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Delicious 1

On 11/23/2021 at 8:02 PM, heidih said:

Would have loved to see the interior shot. I like the bit of nuttiness a touch of whole wheat adds. Nice topping combo.

I know, I should have taken an interior shot, but I always forget. To busy eating! I really like my sourdough starter since it rises so well, and isn’t super sour. The interior of these was a good mix of open crumb with areas of tighter. I’m learning and getting better!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Spinach-Mozzarella Pie with Parm Crumble, a quiche-like concoction topped with a cheese-butter flour crumble from Baking with Dorie

07E5B269-904B-4BEC-96F4-A6AF5B17098F_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.83990d50e40ac431154bed30fd24cbef.jpeg

I don't care for garlic in a quiche and I didn't like it here either but the Parm Crumble topping was a nice touch and I'll be looking for other ways to use it.  Dorie suggests using it on muffins that aren't terribly sweet. I think it would be great on a pear tart or almost any sort of vegetable casserole dish like scalloped potatoes. 

Edited by blue_dolphin
missing words (log)
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 3