• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

FrogPrincesse

What Are You Cooking Sous Vide Today? (Part 3)

maybe S. of the Border cows are different.  Ive never seen short rib meat that meaty 

relatively pricy , you bet.  just not meaty.

8 minutes ago, rotuts said:

maybe S. of the Border cows are different.  Ive never seen short rib meat that meaty 

relatively pricy , you bet.  just not meaty.

Are they not amazing? Look at the marbling in them. I have bought stewing meat from Costco that was equally well marbled and incredibly good.  These were AAA grade which is about the highest grade usually available to consumers. 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

once Im down 2 - 3 shelves with the FCO project , I have some ideas about visiting Costco.

short ribs would be on my short list  ( ive never made them SV ) as would Cap Meat.

Edited by rotuts (log)

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

image.jpeg

1.  Boneless beef short ribs from Costco. You see them here being seared before being bagged. I also double bagged them.  Why so many precautions? These were about 1 1/2 times more expensive than the equivalent weight of prime rib! I don't know what possessed me. Anyway they are being cooked at 60°C  for 48 hours.

2.   A small, just over a kilogram, boneless, pork shoulder roast. I am cooking it at 62.8° for 6 1/2 hours. I also seared it on all surfaces. This will be my first time doing a pork shoulder roast Sous Vide. 

Lucky you.  I love short ribs, bone in or out, but I have never seen them at the Costcos here.

2 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

Lucky you.  I love short ribs, bone in or out, but I have never seen them at the Costcos here.

First time I have seen them. They also had blade roast and pork shoulder roasts.  I have never seen the "cheaper"  cuts of meat at Costco before.  

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

@Anna N 

look into that blade roast at some point.

its the most beefy flavorful meat outside of a double prime rib eye.

there is a tendon down its middle , as its two muscles that keep the scapula down

its easy to remove the central tendon , then then you get 2 - 4 killer tasty steaks depending you you remove that tendon:

A ) slice down the middle to the tendon , then rotate your thin sharp knife 90 degrees and run it along that tendon

this give you 4 as you can see.

but you can tie two together making a nice bundle for SV then Chgar.

21 minutes ago, Anna N said:

First time I have seen them. They also had blade roast and pork shoulder roasts.  I have never seen the "cheaper"  cuts of meat at Costco before.  

Anna, thanks.  I haven't looked at their meat lately as I have been trying to eat what is in the freezer.  But when I buy beef it is usually at Costco and I will be going there on the weekend so I'll have a look for them.  Same with the pork shoulder, another favourite cut of mine that I haven't seen there.  Strangely, I never buy chicken there except for the odd cooked one.  That I buy at my Italian grocer.  I do buy lamb chops at Costco.

9 hours ago, rotuts said:

@Anna N 

there is a tendon down its middle , as its two muscles that keep the scapula down

its easy to remove the central tendon , then then you get 2 - 4 killer tasty steaks depending you you remove that tendon:

A ) slice down the middle to the tendon , then rotate your thin sharp knife 90 degrees and run it along that tendon

Isn't that a flat iron steak?

15 hours ago, rotuts said:

@Anna N 

Perhaps there is some confusion on nomenclature. Not unusual with meat. I did not look closely but blade here seems to have replaced chuck as the nomenclature of choice. 

My 2004 eG Blog

Im sure you know this , but take a look here :

if you look at a 7-bone chuck :

http://www.beefitswhatsfordinner.com/ibccut.aspx?id=90525#

7b.jpg.7b78f212402b09e297c6749e6537daf5.jpg

this is the blade , sliced , under the scapula:

7b1.jpg.5fdaa75db1f93e4546167da9f2e4f6f7.jpg

note the thick tendon that runs down the middle and separated two different but similar muscles 

so then that m muscle is sold whole its a blade roast i think in most of thee USA.

what's it called in Canada ?     its well worth look for.

I think it can be called a flat iron steak when cut across the grain into , well steaks.   the tendon remains

in the whole cut , you can easily remove the tendon w minimal practice.

I saw that episode and agree.

my mother was not a great cook , as she enjoyed gardening more.  but we always had a home made dinner , unless we went to Kirk's

the finest burger joint ever created.  my sister and i always had a hot breakfast w consisted of two poached eggs  9 over poached in one of those

little pan thing-ids w 4 inserts , on day old toast and maybe a minute steak.

she did make outstanding Swiss Steak  , probably from top round , and maybe flank steak  as those were very cheap back them

I used to make 7 bone swiss steak when i started out cooking for my self.  the 7 bone was not as thick as on SM, but it was very tasty

brown weak , brown onions , a couple of cans of beef broth , garlic  3 hour or so  flipping once.

I had no idea of the different muscle groups , but it pays to learn,

most ' blade ' sold in the stores if cut across the grain and sold that way.

a zillion years ago , Madeleine Kamman   had a PBS cooking show,  J.Pepin with a much higher voice !

she did blade steaks , of which Id never head of , but in the French Manner , the meat was always trimmed and sliced for Sur le Plate.

she cut out the tendon , and said " This is for your Dooge  ( i.e. dog ) and yes , a Black Labrador was waiting the woofed the tendons down in mid air

if you can find a nicely trimmed whole roast , it worth learning how to take out the tending , and then cook the rest of the meat

sometime tied back up , SV or  the top steak folded into a unifor mass and grilled over high heat.

Next time I am in Costco, which I hope won't be quite as long as the year it took me this time, I shall have a look at their blade roasts.  If I have my wits about me I may even take a photograph.  

My 2004 eG Blog

as soon as im Two Shelves Down, i'll be planning a reconnaissance to Costco.

Ill arm myself , not being a member , w a members gift card, which Ill cover.

I eat very little beef , not for health reasons , but because what I can get is way over prices for what cooks up.

im more than willing to pay a little more for a lot more tasty meat.

at one of my MegaloMarts , some time ago , which I documented , they had blade roasts very nicely trimmed , on sale a al choice meat.

I asked the butcher about these that rarely showed up.  he said they were prime, and came in a regular  box of meat.

he showed me the primal.   and the meat.  he said from time to time they get prime ' primals ' mixed into the chose boxes.

he trimmed me up  4  blade roasts right then an there.  I SV'd them after removing the tendon.

I still have 3 in the freezer down stairs.  I of course took the butcher two that Id SV'd and asked him to get them sliced thin at the deli.

he did.  said it was the best roast beef sandwich he had had in a long time.

@Anna N I just came back from Costco and alas, they did not have short ribs.  I asked about them and was told they had some about a month and a half ago and they haven't seen them since.  The did have blade roasts and pork shoulder roasts, two per package.  There are four other Costcos within a short drive and I plan on calling all of them if need be, to find out if they carry them.  Not being able to get some made me feel a little bit sad.

17 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

@Anna N I just came back from Costco and alas, they did not have short ribs.  I asked about them and was told they had some about a month and a half ago and they haven't seen them since.  The did have blade roasts and pork shoulder roasts, two per package.  There are four other Costcos within a short drive and I plan on calling all of them if need be, to find out if they carry them.  Not being able to get some made me feel a little bit sad.

I understand your disappointment regarding the short ribs but I do hope they continue to carry such things as blade roasts and pork shoulder roasts. I have a sneaking feeling that their demographic might not support meat that requires time  and patience.xD

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

if you find a blade roast , thats nicely trimmed , and in your budget for red me dat , at a place that you've gotten decent meat

please consider it.

its easily to remove the tendon , which is de rigueur  

the first time won't be as much fun as the second.

the second time you will remember how the first one rated !

money-mouth.gif.52b4cbc82d4679e8f76b838107a40820.gif

On February 10, 2017 at 0:55 PM, weedy said:

I not only noticed that, I tweeted to a few modernist chef's about it for comment. 

Will be interesting to see if anyone responds. 

I personally think that both Collichio and Sean Brock are just traditionalist and predisposed to dislike the IDEA of SV. 

Tom C is half FOS esp after a few glasses of wine.  Great chef, but he says silly things...like the silverskin on a pork tenderloin should be left on because "fat is flavor". Or SV dries meat out. But he's in a position where nobody tells him to get stuffed. 

• Like 2

Is it also possible that we're taking this out of context? Among Collichio's friends are chefs he'd probably admit to being at a higher level than than he is, and who cook a lot of meat sous-vide. It's hard to imagine him holding onto (and blurting out) such small-minded and sweeping statements on the matter.

Notes from the underbelly

He's not the only chef (including some I greatly admire for their FOOD) who are borderline antagonistic to modernist techniques even though they can be friends with modernist chefs or like the food when someone else makes it. 

Even today you'll hear some seriously talented chefs still spouting nonsense about washing mushrooms or 'searing locking in juices' etc. 

it is an art. Not all the artists understand the science. And some don't CARE to. 

In my world too I still know some old hold outs (and I'm not young!) who seem to think learning new technology or techniques might somehow pollute their work. 

Edited by weedy (log)
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, paulraphael said:

Is it also possible that we're taking this out of context? Among Collichio's friends are chefs he'd probably admit to being at a higher level than than he is, and who cook a lot of meat sous-vide. It's hard to imagine him holding onto (and blurting out) such small-minded and sweeping statements on the matter.

Agreed.

But he said it.

In vino veritas

11 hours ago, gfweb said:

Agreed.

But he said it.

In vino veritas

Sure, but does anyone remember the whole conversation? I'm not about to spend $20 for the whole season on Netflix!

Notes from the underbelly

@Anna N. Best stock up on those beef short ribs!  I called the other four Costco's in my area and none have them and none show them as being on order.

35 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

@Anna N. Best stock up on those beef short ribs!  I called the other four Costco's in my area and none have them and none show them as being on order.

No guarantee they still exist in my Costco! And getting a ride to Costco is almost as challenging as getting beef short ribs.xDxD

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

• Similar Content

• By Porthos
      I picked up enough boneless short ribs to make 3 meals for my Sweetie and me. One meal will be pan-braised tonight. One has been vacuum-sealed and is in the freezer. My question is about seasoning, sealing, freezing, then defrosting and cooking at a later date. I'd like to season and seal the 3rd meal's worth. Can I use a dry rub on the meat, then seal, freeze, and cook at a later date? Does anyone else do this?
    • By newchef
      So I've now found myself at the water's edge of Modernist Cuisine.  Specifically, using sodium citrate for emulsifying all kinds of cheeses.  What I'm after is making an emulsified Parmesan sauce as well as another emulsified cheese sauce (most likely using Cheddar or Colby) that I can freeze and use later.  I'm a single guy and am no stranger of tweaking recipes for freezing but I haven't done it for modernist stuff yet.  I'd love to make a big batch of cheese sauce, freeze it into ice cubes for up to 3 months or so, and then take a few cubes out to thaw on a weeknight and toss with pasta, drizzle over veggies, etc.

I looked at the modernist cuisine FAQ and saw this specific post about the cheese sauce that is "probably" freeze-able because it uses something called carageenan.  Has anyone been able to freeze sauce and keep it frozen for, say, a few months?  And not have to use carageenan?

Thanks!
    • By WackGet
      Recently I picked up a few different types of emulsifiers in bulk powder form when I saw them in passing at a catering wholesaler.

Having never used powdered emulsifiers before in cooking or baking, I figured I'd find pretty comprehensive instructions for their use on the web - but I can't.

I'm not a stranger to food science but nor am I a chemist. I understand that emulsifiers are at least sometimes prepared by pre-mixing them into a (heated?) liquid or fat and then using the resulting solution in the actual recipe, which may explain why a lot of commercial emulsifier mixtures are packages as tubes of gel or paste. I've also checked several industry-level textbooks about emulsifiers and while they are fantastic for in-depth explanations of the chemistry behind each emulsifier, they do not (as you might imagine) provide guidance on how a lowly baker or cook would actually use a powdered form.

So does anyone know how to prepare and use a dry powdered form of any of the following in a real recipe?

Specifically I am most interested in enhancing baked goods and adding stability to sauces, but would also like to know how to use them for other processes such as sausage-making too.
      E471 Mono- and diglycerides of fatty acids E481 Sodium stearoyl lactylate E482 Calcium stearoyl lactylate E472e DATEM (diacetyl tartaric acid ester of mono- and diglycerides)
        Thanks.
    • By mjbarnard
      I cooked two turkey breasts sous vide. This year had access to the Meater+ thermometer probe which I managed to vacuum seal in the bag without difficulty (it is small). Since it works wirelessly I was able to monitor and it records the internal temperatures at the thickest part of the breast.
      I thought the results were interesting. I cooked at 60C for 8 hours. I have always used https://www.chefsteps.com/activities/a-better-way-to-turkey-cook-that-bird-sous-vide-for-the-best-feast-ever which gives long cooking times at lower temperature. I have found that as according to this page https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/11/sous-vide-turkey-breast-crispy-skin-recipe-thanksgiving.html that 55C gives turkey which is just a little too pink for most tastes. Over the last few years have increased the temperature up to 59/60 and I find it perfect - very moist and tender, but pale not pink.
      See attached images. I changed my mind a couple of times and started at 58 then 60 then 59 again, so ignore the slight variations. The thing I found interesting was that the thickest part (of a large breast) reached 55C in around 1 hour 40 mins and target of 59 in 2 hours 30 mins. Now I appreciate that sous vide is a combination of temperature and time or duration, but the data make me think that around 4 hours would be sufficient, as per the seriouseats table. I have previously used the chefsteps 55-58 for their much longer advised times, up to 12 hours and the meat is still quite pink at the end, so I dont believe 55 for 12 hours would effectively be the same.
      From now on I will watching the internal temperatures with interest. This has always been the (relative) unkown for sous vide amateurs. 

• By chefg
      I have to say designing the Alinea kitchen has been one of the most exciting experiences thus far in the opening of this restaurant. I have been fortunate to have been “raised” in some of the best kitchens in the country. When I arrived at the French Laundry in August 1996 the “new kitchen” had just been completed. Often times you would hear the man talk about the good old days of cooking on a residential range with only one refrigerator and warped out sauté pans with wiggly handles. When I started about 50% of the custom stainless steel was in place. The walls smooth with tile and carpet on the floors. I recall the feeling of anxiety when working for fear that I would dirty up the kitchen, not a common concern for most cooks in commercial kitchens.
      The French Laundry kitchen didn’t stop, it continued to evolve over the four years I was there. I vividly remember the addition of the custom fish/canapé stainless unit. Allowing the poissonier to keep his mise en place in beautiful 1/9 pan rails instead of the ice cube filled fish lugs. Each advancement in technology and ergonomics made the kitchen a more efficient and exacting machine.
      When I returned to the Laundry this past July for the 10th anniversary I was shocked that it had metomorphisized once again. The butcher room was now a sea of custom stainless steel low boys, the pot sink area was expanded, the walk-in moved, and an office added to the corner of the kitchen. The kitchen as I left it in June of 2001 was beautiful and extremely functional, of course it is even more so now. It is the relentless pursuit of detail and concise thought that allows the French Laundry kitchen to be one of the best for cooks to execute their craft…..16 hours a day.
      This was good motivation.
      When it came time to design my kitchen I drew on experiences at Trio, TFL and other kitchens I was familiar with to define the positives and negatives of those designs. We were faced with a 21x 44' rectangle. This space would not allow for my original kitchen design idea of four islands postioned throughout the kitchen, but ultimately gave way for the current design which I think is actually better than the original. But most the important aspect in shaping the final design was the cuisine. Due to the nature of food that we produce a typical layout with common equipment standards and dimensions do not work. Here is where the team drew on our experiences from Trio. By looking at the techniques we utilized we came to several conclusions.
      1. A conventional range was not our main heat source. We do need the flat tops and some open burners for applications such as braising and limited stock work. But our overall use of this piece of equipment is somewhat low. Given that we wanted four open burners and two flat tops with two ovens I began to source out a reliable unit. We settled on the Molteni G230.

2. Upon analyzing our other heat source needs we decided to place a large focus on induction. By utilizing portable induction burners we are allowed the flexibility to give as much power as needed to a specific station in the kitchen. Obviously induction’s radiant heat is very low, and this allows us to keep the temperature in the kitchen reasonable, yet the power is quite high. 31,000 BTU's of highly controlable heat. But the main reason for choosing this flexible source of heat is the fact that each chef typically employed at least four different cooking applications on a given night. This huge flux in technique and the realization that the menu would change entirely in 8 weeks time meant that we had to design a kitchen that could evolve on a nightly basis. And last, we are very specific with temperatures; induction makes it easier for us to hold a liquid at a predetermined temperature for long periods of time without fluctuation. They operate between 85 and 500 degrees farenheit. We did a great deal of research on the different producers of induction and favored Cooktek. The fact that they are the only U.S manufacturer of commercial induction cooking equipment and located in Chicago made the decision easier. Their innovative approach to induction may prove to be even more exciting as we are already talking about new product development in the future.

3. a. The complexity of the presentations and a la minute plate-ups of the food require a great deal of surface area devoted to plating. This was one of the most critical factors in determining the basic shape of the kitchen. The size of some of today's popular plates, the amount detail in each composition, coupled with the fact that producing tasting menus vs. ala carte means sometimes large waves of same dish pick ups made it necessary for us to have over 44' of linear plating surface.
      b. Virtually nothing goes vertical above the 36” counter top in the space. All food, plates, equipment, and dry good storage are contained by under counter units. There are a few exceptions such as the infrared salamanders, the three-door refrigerator, and the hood. This allows all the cooks a clear line of communication between each other and the front staff. It allows me an easy sight line to survey the entire kitchen’s progress with a quick glance.
      Given these two points it seemed obvious that we needed to combine the two and create custom pieces that would fulfill both needs. Large spans of plating surfaces with all food and equipment storage below. As you can see we ended up with two 22’ long units. Each function as a pass and under counter storage.
      The building is 21’ wide wall to wall. This allowed us just enough space to create two lines on each exterior wall with their passes forming a 60” corridor for the pick up of plates and finishing of dishes.
      4. We decided to add a station to the kitchen. At Trio we had five including:
      a. pastry
      b. cold garde manger
      c. hot garde manger
      d. fish
      e. meat
      Now that we had more space, and the ability to give each station multiple heat
      sources regardless of their location in the kitchen, we could spread the workload even further. We also realized it doesn’t make much sense to identify each station by classic French Bragade terms. A saucier did not solely cook meat with classic techniques and prepare various traditional stocks and sauces…in fact quite the opposite. This holds true with most of the stations, with the exception of pastry, but even they will have very unconventional techniques, menu placement and involvement in the kitchen systems. We will add a station that will be responsible for a large majority of the one-bite courses both sweet and savory.
      5.Given the size constraints of the building we realized a walk-in would not be possible in the kitchen. If we were to have one it would be in the basement. Having experienced this at Trio we decided to design the kitchen without a walk-in, making up for the space in various lowboy locations and a three-door reach-in. I experienced the walk-in less environment when I worked at Charlie Trotter’s. It is certainly different, but as with most things if done properly it provides a very efficient environment. It works best in situations where fresh products are brought in daily for that days use. And prevents ordering in large quantities. It also provides us with very specific units to house different items. We will utilize the 3-door refrigerator to store the majority of the vegetables and herbs along with some staple mise en place, and items that cannot be made in very small quantities like stocks. Raw meat will have it’s own lowboys as well as fish, dairy, and all frozen products.
      6. At Trio we found ourselves using the salamander a great deal. It is very useful for melting sugar, bringing on transparent qualities in things like fat and cheese, cooking items intensely on only one side, and it is a highly controllable non-direct heat source. Due to the air gap between the foodstuff and the heat elements the cook can control the degree of heat applied to the dish based on the technique he is using. It becomes a very versatile tool in the modern kitchen, so much so that we will install three Sodir infrared salamanders.

Again, this is to insure that all the cooks have access to all of the techniques in the kitchen. As I said before it is important for our cooks to be able to sauté, simmer, poach, fry, grill, salamander, and freeze at the same time and sometimes for the same dish.
      We have a few unusual pieces of equipment in the kitchen; the most is probably a centrifuge. A few months ago Nick and I were driving home from a design meeting and ended up talking about signature dishes and menu repetition. Of course the black truffle explosion came up and he asked if I would have it on the menu at Alinea. I replied a firm no, but shortly thereafter said I would enjoy updating it. We threw around some tongue and cheek ideas like White Truffle Implosion, and Truffle Explosion 2005….I said it was a goal of mine to make a frozen ball with a liquid center….but then dismissed it as nearly impossible. Within a few minutes he said …”I got it…we need a centrifuge” His explanation was simple, place the desired liquid in a spherical mold and place on the centrifuge…place the whole thing in the freezer. Within days he had one in the test kitchen. I guess this is better suited for the kitchen lab topic that we will be starting in a few weeks…
      We are working on a upload of the kitchen blueprints. When those post I plan on going into more detail about certian aspects of the design. Doing so now would be pointless as the viewer does not have a reference point.