• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Soup Topic (2013–)

FrogPrincesse

Made this for lunch today:

Started last night: Re-hydrated tofu sticks and dried oysters, a vacuum sealed package of gingko nuts,  ginger slices, orange peel, and dried salty turnip in por5k neck bone stock.

2028757480_TofuOysterSoup8216.jpg.0aaf15d573d9ad05c4765cf393c648c7.jpg

• Like 6

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

It was cold yesterday, with what my eldest refers to as "crunchy rain" falling, and I had no desire nor compelling need to get out, so I dove into the freezer and pantry for the makings of soup. Came out with chicken, a can of black beans, and a couple of sweet potatoes.

Sauteed an onion in the IP. Poached the chicken in with it, and while it was cooking, peeled and diced the sweet potatoes and opened, drained and rinsed the black beans. Took the chicken out, dumped the sweet potatoes in the stock, and cooked them. Shredded the chicken breasts, then added them and the black beans in and seasoned liberally with salt, pepper and smoked paprika.

It wasn't bad, but a little bland. Next time I would sub chili powder and add a bit of cumin.

• Like 5

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

I would be hard pressed to name a favorite soup. I love tomato bisque, and can several pints of it every summer. (Heat, add cream, and you're ready to go!). I love vegetable beef, which is what first comes to my mind when you say "soup" because it was the soup we had when I was a kid. I love Brunswick stew. Every winter I have to make at least two pots of white bean and Italian sausage soup. I love French onion soup. I made a carrot and sweet potato soup with sorghum recently that was pretty good. I love potato soup, and corn-and-seafood chowder. I love miso soup, and pho. 

I'm not sure I've ever had a soup I don't like. 

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

On ‎1‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 9:11 AM, shain said:

Lentil soup.

That brings back a fun memory from my childhood. There was a place near where we lived at that time called Jim's Burritos that had a 3 lb. burrito. Me and my brother each attempted one despite having zero chance of succeeding. After stuffing burrito down our throats until we were bordering on sending it all back up, we accepted our defeat and had our leftovers packed to go. Mom made lentil soup for supper that night which, in typical teenage boy fashion, we also inhaled until we could eat no more. The noisy, fragrant evening, night and next day that followed the mingling of those two food items was awe-inspiring. It was bad enough that our parents threw the burrito leftovers away during the night while we were sleeping so we wouldn't eat any more. The legend of Jim's burritos and lentil soup still gets a rolling of the eyes followed by laughter from my siblings and parents to this day.

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

35 minutes ago, kayb said:

I'm not sure I've ever had a soup I don't like. 

I love soup too.  The only thing I don’t like is any that has barley in it, although it's not necessarily a deal breaker; I just don’t like the texture of it.

I had a really tasty cream of cauliflower soup at a restaurant last night which I am going to try to recreate. It was made with chicken stock, pureed cooked cauliflower, had some small cauliflower bits (like cauliflower “rice”), milk/cream, and garnished with deeply browned fried potato bits. 

• Like 2

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

My nephew stole all of my black bean soup 😞  His argument was that he is a starving college student and black bean soup is one of his favorite foods.  OK then.  Work lunch soup part two: this one is a spiced sweet potato and tomato soup.  The recipe was in my local newspaper's Sunday magazine.  After tasting it, I added a big spoonful of peanut butter, which improved the flavor a lot.  

2017033240_swetpotatosoup.thumb.jpg.e6357fda27ef8b60d8f3dbaefa08a344.jpg

• Like 6

shain's recipe for mulligatawny  caught my attention a couple weeks ago so I finally got around to making it. I decided there was no harm in taking a couple small liberties so, in addition to his suggested cilantro, I served it with some basmati rice and a dollop of chili lime pickle.  Not sure if that's blasphemy or not but it was tasty. 

mulliga321.jpg

• Like 5

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

2 hours ago, lemniscate said:

I just finished a goodly portion of my Mom's Dill Pickle Soup, a staple from our farm days.  It's creamed with a Sour Cream/flour mix and is so good and so comforting to me.  She uses a pork broth base (uses country style ribs).

Please tell more about this. I'm a big fan of dill pickles, and might want to try this soup!

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

26 minutes ago, Smithy said:

Please tell more about this. I'm a big fan of dill pickles, and might want to try this soup!

It's a soup consisting of pork broth, cooked until the meat is very soft.  Grated potatoes, carrots and pickles are added.  I'd say Mom's standard ratio is 6-8 cups of meat broth, 3-4 cups of grated potatoes, 1-2 cups grated carrots and 5-6 grated dill pickles (Vlasic is the usual choice) with juice reserved.   The vegetables are added and cooked until just tender.  Mom puts a good dollop of sour cream (3-4 tablespoons) and about half that amount flour in a mason jar with some water and shakes it to combine.  Then pours the mixture through a fine sieve into the soup to avoid lumps.  Cook until thickened.  The pickle juice can be added to boost the tanginess of the soup if desired.  This soup has a thick, chowder-like consistency.   All this cooking is done by feel, so the amounts are my best guess since it was my job to grate all the vegetables.   There are several recipes on the internet searches, most use chicken broth, some cube the veggies, some use an egg as part of the thickening....

Edited by lemniscate (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Oyster chowder, but I dialed down on both the cream and potatoes, so it won't be very thick.

In lieu if oyster crackers, I used crunchy fish shaped crackers.

IMG_20190104_205118.jpg

Edited by shain (log)
  • Like 12
  • Haha 1

~ Shai N.

just finished making venison stock.  will use it probably Monday when it is supposed to be brutally cold to mix with some chicken stock and make onion soup.

• Like 5

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Winter Squash Soup with Lemongrass and Coconut Milk from Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone.  Interesting and enjoyable flavor profile for a puréed vegetable soup.

fullsizeoutput_3976.thumb.jpeg.493a73b9d4c3f526f430f25d7665bb3d.jpeg

It's topped with cilantro, parsley, basil and diced jalapeño.

This soup uses the Stock for Curried Dishes with the addition of the squash skin and seeds, galangal or ginger and herb trimmings. Since the stock for curried dishes is itself a variation on the Basic Vegetable Stock, this seemed like a lot of variations but it paid off with a rich, complex flavor. 

• Like 6

On ‎1‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 4:35 PM, suzilightning said:

just finished making venison stock.  will use it probably Monday when it is supposed to be brutally cold to mix with some chicken stock and make onion soup.

It's working now!!!!

-2 F ambient this morning.  Up to 3F when I got home but looks to be about 25 mph NW winds.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Made a roasted chicken and vegetables soups on the weekend and it was a success!

Roasted the chicken bones, carrots, onions, celery with a bit of olive oil , salt, pepper.  Then added everything in my pressure cooker with cold water, bouquet garni. Broth done in with the vegetables and some quinoa pasta topped with  fresh basil oil and Parmesan cheese.

soup2.thumb.jpg.7d89efedfeb61a2463e39adaa380e4f9.jpg

soup.thumb.jpg.2b39e26142d7d20517cbd207b1d2cfda.jpg

Edited by patmatrix (log)
  • Like 11

Patrick Provencal

Montreal, Canada

Cooking from the Heart

I'm going to be gone for several weeks so it's time to clean out the fridge. I made this cilantro-carrot soup with most of what was left in the crisper. Not the prettiest, but it tasted good.

IMG_8797.thumb.jpg.599c9045d0b2df31b45fb4a3c48b4bf3.jpg

Edited by chord (log)
  • Like 8
  • Delicious 1

2 hours ago, FrogPrincesse said:

Deborah Madison’s Chilled Spicy Carrot Soup (with fresh ginger, cumin, coriander, turmeric). Very tasty and good for my slightly upset stomach.

Carrot soup with ginger (Deborah Madison) #soup #deborahmadison

I am amazed at how well carrots and cumin go together. I roasted carrots using the Roasted Cauliflower method with lots of cumin. The aroma while roasting was wonderful but when I went to eat them, the cumin was oddly quite subdued.

This soup sounds delicious and is a nice color. The blend of spices sounds intriguing. It makes me wonder how it tastes hot. Thanks for posting.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Thank you! I tried it hot and chilled, and it is nice either way.

I’ve read that carrots and cumin are close relatives (so are coriander, cilantro, etc - they all belong to the apiaceae family), which could explain why they go well together.

• Like 2