Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Moussaka--Cook-Off 7

Cookoff

• Please log in to reply
122 replies to this topic

#121 Smithy

Smithy
  • host
  • 3,720 posts

Posted 03 May 2005 - 12:41 PM

I want to thank y'all for suggesting the stuffed eggplant route. Last night I had 2 tired eggplants, one tired cook, and a bunch of stuffing that had been taking up space in the freezer when it was left over from making cabbage rolls. The stuffing was ground venison, rice, tomato sauce and a bunch of Cajun seasonings, so this was definitely a non-traditional use of eggplant, but it was darned good. No photos, sorry.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)

"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

#122 Shaya

Shaya
  • participating member
  • 859 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 04:25 AM

I used these beauties to make my moussaka.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Moussaka

Posted Image

Posted Image

I used lamb and veal to make the sauce. I also added b'harat, oregano and cinnamon; tomato puree; stock; red wine and bay leaf. It simmered for nearly 3 hours.

As you can see, in addition to the eggplant I used potatoes, and I also added a marrow (like a giant zucchini) from my friend's garden. I used sheep's feta and a Greek sheep's grating cheese. It was even better the second night.

I should add that I'm not a fan of the fluffy, eggy bechamel that typically tops this dish. I just use a simple bechamel flavored with nutmeg.

#123 Jaymes

Jaymes
  • participating member
  • 7,366 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 05:29 PM

The moussaka from the New York Times International Cookbook was a classic of my mom's dinner table growing up. Lamb, eggplant, potato, tomato, bechamel, oh it was good.

I actually often make a Lebanese appetizer dish referred to as moussaka. You can find the recipe in Annisa Helou's Lebanese Cuisine.
Basically you make a tomato sauce with onion, chickpeas and spices. You get baby eggplants (peel in stripes), briefly fry them whole, then add to the sauce to simmer. Fan the eggplants in a serving platter and spoon the tomato-chickpea sauce between the eggplants.
It is a lovely presentation and so good!

Your mom and I must be the same generation... I made many a wonderful meal from that book (most certainly including that Moussaka), and it still holds an honored place on my bookshelf.

Made the Moussaka tonight from the "Zov" cookbook. Very, very good. Doesn't call for potatoes in the dish, but that's fine with us, because Greek-style baked potatoes are a perfect accompaniment. You cut about 3 lbs of potatoes into large slices, then toss with salt, pepper, oregano, juice of 1 lemon, 1 cup olive oil, and 3 cups of water. Put into baking dish and bake, uncovered, in a moderate oven for about one hour, or until the water has evaporated and the potatoes are roasted and browning.

So Moussaka, Greek-style roasted potatoes, Greek salad with plenty of Kalamata olives, artichoke hearts, sweet onions and feta cheese.

Sound good?

Edited by Jaymes, 08 February 2012 - 06:00 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Cookoff