Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the society.

Photo

Chocolates with that showroom finish, 2004 - 2011

Confections Chocolate

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
586 replies to this topic

#271 K8memphis

K8memphis
  • participating member
  • 2,467 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 08:24 AM

I've got no balloons or condoms around, I'll pick some up later today and show you how it's done.

View Post

Oh oh oh I gotcha now! Dip the outside of the blown up balloon or condom which is now your mold into the properly striped choco that's sitting on the counter or in a bowl. Ok I got it, but I would love the demo. So you gonna put the dark skinny racing stripe type chocolate stripes directly onto the mold first? Then dip? How do you keep everything from spreading too much as you dip? Practice practice practice?

But then still how do you keep it solid white and solid brown through out.
There does not appear to be any layering. It seems solid white and solid brown.
This is making my brain hurt. I can't wait for a demo.

#272 John DePaula

John DePaula
  • participating member
  • 1,495 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 10:05 AM

I think that Mette started a topic about this. Here it is: Demo: Molding bowls and containers with chocolate.

The method that Kerry is describing is shown, more or less, about 3/4 of the way down from Mette's 1st post. (though I do look forward to Kerry's post...)

Edited by John DePaula, 29 January 2008 - 12:23 PM.

John DePaula
DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

#273 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,954 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 08:14 PM

Ok, not one of my better demos. I haven't done this before with the little balloons. First, those little suckers are impossible to blow up, I had to find a pump after nearly blowing my brains out. And of course they are about 3 1/2 feet long so even after learning to make balloon animals I wasn't able to stand them up straight.

Posted Image
I drizzled tempered white chocolate lines on top of tempered dark chocolate.

Then I just dipped the balloons on one side, turned and dipped again. The lines had to be reapplied every couple of dips.

Posted Image

You can see in the back ground the large balloon with it's dipped 'petals' and the smaller white balloon. Strawberries were on sale for $3.99 so I took the opportunity to dip them the same way.

Posted Image
Valuable lesson - wait until the form is completely cooled and hardened before letting the air out of the balloon.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

A bit crooked, but you can see the effect you can get simply by dipping the balloon in stripes of chocolate.

#274 K8memphis

K8memphis
  • participating member
  • 2,467 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 08:24 PM

You are so cool to do that pictorial! Lot of painful brain work all the way around. I couldn't be more grateful but I'm still laughing my head off about the balloon blowing.

Yay!!! That's so cool. Thank you, Kerry

My (hurting) brain thanks your (nearly blown out) brain too.

:biggrin:

#275 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,954 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 08:29 PM

Widget, my fraidy cat has finally come back into the kitchen. We did have a couple of balloon 'failures' during the blowup phase.

#276 Lior

Lior
  • participating member
  • 2,127 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 11:31 PM

great demo! Thanks! I love the one with the early popped balloon! You are something else!

#277 Sebastian

Sebastian
  • participating member
  • 356 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 08:22 AM

Everyonce in a while I'll make chocolate 'cups' that way - allow the chocolate to harden on the baloon, then pop it (i've found that the balloons made in mexico work better than those from china - i'm not sure i want to know why...). Pipe out a 'handle' and use chocolate to 'glue' it to the cup, then fill the cup with a mousse or some such. Functional and edible, guests love it!

#278 alanamoana

alanamoana
  • participating member
  • 2,738 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 10:38 AM

Everyonce in a while I'll make chocolate 'cups' that way - allow the chocolate to harden on the baloon, then pop it (i've found that the balloons made in mexico work better than those from china - i'm not sure i want to know why...).  Pipe out a 'handle' and use chocolate to 'glue' it to the cup, then fill the cup with a mousse or some such.  Functional and edible, guests love it!

View Post

must be the amount of lead or antifreeze in the chinese balloons! :blink: :raz:

#279 Chris Hennes

Chris Hennes

Director of Operations

• manager
  • 8,193 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 10:53 AM

must be the amount of lead or antifreeze in the chinese balloons!  :blink:  :raz:

View Post

Actually, on a serious note, I was just wondering about that: are balloons designed to be inflated by mouth foodsafe by definition? Could you use them like this in a commercial operation, or would you have to source special "foodsafe rubber" balloons (no doubt at 10x the cost!).

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

#280 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,954 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 10:57 AM

must be the amount of lead or antifreeze in the chinese balloons!   :blink:  :raz:

View Post

Actually, on a serious note, I was just wondering about that: are balloons designed to be inflated by mouth foodsafe by definition? Could you use them like this in a commercial operation, or would you have to source special "foodsafe rubber" balloons (no doubt at 10x the cost!).

View Post

And what about condoms - are they considered to be food safe?

#281 Lior

Lior
  • participating member
  • 2,127 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 01:39 PM

Hello. Just an update on those cooling marks. I waited a bit till the chocoalte started hardening and then I put in the fridge. They came out much better. There are still some slight marks but only trained eagle eyes can see those - Egulleters would notice them ...

#282 prairiegirl

prairiegirl
  • participating member
  • 364 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 08:00 PM

Posted Image
Posted Image

My sister is in a professional photography program and she took pictures of my chocolates. These pictures were not touched up at all.

I have some others to post but I need to get them out of her camera!

#283 Chris Hennes

Chris Hennes

Director of Operations

• manager
  • 8,193 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 08:05 PM

Posted Image

View Post

These look great---what are the fillings?

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

#284 prairiegirl

prairiegirl
  • participating member
  • 364 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 08:11 PM

The cookie is icewine buttercream. The one on the far right with 1/2 blue the other choc is Earl Grey taken from "chocolate obsession", The heart next to the cookie is "rose" I used the rose oil sample I received from Amoretti(?). In the front is green chocolate drizzling down a (cherry) mould! This is mint buttercream (my 10 yr old,Ashley, her favourite). The bubbles, next to the mint buttercream is a champagne truffle, and to the left of that is a coconut ganache truffle.

#285 Smiley Riley

Smiley Riley
  • participating member
  • 29 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 10:34 PM

Hello everyone this is my very first post here on egullet!!!
I have been reading all your posts for the last few months very eagerly ( and have yet to make a dent in the baking forum threads, lol).
I have learned so much from you all, and feel very greatful to have you all as a resource, a veritable wealth of knowledge, thank you all.
Anyhow, I am a thoroughly addicted new chocolatier. I took a few workshops in the Fall, on Belgian chocolate making, and around the same time found you all, I have not looked back since.
Christmas was really fun time to experiment and make a fair number of gifts for family and friends around 500, good start.
The techniques I have seen in here as well as some of the great books I have in my collection now, Grewelling's and Wybauw's Great experience, have led to some fun experiences and lots of creative release in the kitchen.
Chocolate is great!!!!
I would love to make this new passion into a business too , one day soon.
I actually just got through my first Valentine's Day where I decided to try and sell some of my creations. WOW!!!
I was not prepared for the response, I spent a few 15hr days last week ( with my great wife's help) filling the avalanche of orders.
Boy does packaging chocolates ever take a long time, great experience though.
Anyway I really just thought this would be a great time to share a few of my chocolates, my babies, to the people who helped me get this far.

Well i can't figure out how to post pics? :angry:

If anyone can help i'll have my pictures up ASAP!!!

Peter

#286 John DePaula

John DePaula
  • participating member
  • 1,495 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 12:31 AM

Well i can't figure out how to post pics?  :angry:

Peter

View Post

Don't feel bad... it's needlessly complicated. The topic you seek is here->ImageGullet Tips and Notes.
John DePaula
DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

#287 Lior

Lior
  • participating member
  • 2,127 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 01:47 AM

Welcome!! Prairie girl! Your sister's photography is lovely!! I love your arrangement! Your 10 year old likes mint?! Mine likes crunchy things more! With Hazelnut paste and chocoalte and feulletine. All your things look and sound yummy!! Hmmm!!

#288 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,954 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 04:55 AM

Hello everyone this is my very first post here on egullet!!!
I have been reading all your posts for the last few months very eagerly ( and have yet to make a dent in the baking forum threads, lol).
I have learned so much from you all, and feel very greatful to have you all as a resource, a veritable wealth of knowledge, thank you all.
Anyhow, I am a thoroughly addicted new chocolatier.  I took a few workshops in the Fall, on Belgian chocolate making, and around the same time found you all, I have not looked back since.
Christmas was really fun time to experiment and make a fair number of gifts for family and friends around 500, good start.
The techniques I have seen in here as well as some of the great books I have in my collection now, Grewelling's and Wybauw's Great experience, have led to some fun experiences and lots of creative release in the kitchen.
Chocolate is great!!!!
I would love to make this new passion into a business too , one day soon.
I actually just got through my first Valentine's Day where I decided to try and sell some of my creations.  WOW!!!
I was not prepared for the response, I spent a few 15hr days last week ( with my great wife's help) filling the avalanche of orders.
Boy does packaging chocolates ever take a long time, great experience though.
Anyway I really just thought this would be a great time to share a few of my chocolates, my babies,  to the people who helped me get this far.

Well i can't figure out how to post pics?  :angry:

Peter

View Post

Welcome Peter. Can't wait to see your pictures.

#289 Smiley Riley

Smiley Riley
  • participating member
  • 29 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 09:23 AM

Here i go again to try and post my first pictures.

My Norman Love tribute
Posted Image
Ahhhh i think it's working now.

This is my 1lb box for Valentine's day
Posted Image
Here are some close ups of my babies
This one was with a magnetic mold, filled with blackberry fondant
Posted Image
These are my soft caramels
Posted Image

#290 Smiley Riley

Smiley Riley
  • participating member
  • 29 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 09:34 AM

Thanks to Gfron for helping me figure out how to post pics.

Here are a few more pictures.
This one was just painted into the mold, also a caramel
Posted Image
I thought it was an interesting effect

My spackled peanut butter and hazelnut butter cups
Posted Image
These are by far my favourite, sooo tasty

The effect my chocolate making has on my son Riley (hence Smiley Riley).
They make him delirious!!!
Posted Image

#291 adey73

adey73
  • participating member
  • 607 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 09:36 AM

Huge respect.
“Do you not find that bacon, sausage, egg, chips, black pudding, beans, mushrooms, tomatoes, fried bread and a cup of tea; is a meal in itself really?” Hovis Presley.

#292 John DePaula

John DePaula
  • participating member
  • 1,495 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 09:47 AM

Very nice work, SR!
John DePaula
DePaula Confections
--------------------

#293 Smiley Riley

Smiley Riley
  • participating member
  • 29 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 12:05 PM

Thanks guys that means alot to me

#294 Smiley Riley

Smiley Riley
  • participating member
  • 29 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 12:12 PM

Thanks guys that means alot to me

#295 Lior

Lior
  • participating member
  • 2,127 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 12:42 PM

Excellent! Wow!! And super cute RIley!!!!

#296 gfron1

gfron1
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 4,413 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 01:37 PM

Those are terrible! I see specs all over them! Oh wait, that's dust on my computer screen. There has to be a flaw somewhere - man, those are absolutely stunning. Be sure to post crap for us next time so we can feel better about ourselves. :wink:

Chef, Curious Kumquat, Silver City, NM

#297 Smiley Riley

Smiley Riley
  • participating member
  • 29 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 06:13 PM

Those are terrible!  I see specs all over them!  Oh wait, that's dust on my computer screen.  There has to be a flaw somewhere - man, those are absolutely stunning.  Be sure to post crap for us next time so we can feel better about ourselves.  :wink:

View Post

These are my nice ones, i've been practicing for 2 months.
The early ones were not near the same calibre.
Practice, practice, practice.

#298 tammylc

tammylc
  • participating member
  • 2,155 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 07:16 PM

Inspired by some beautiful Valentine's Day chocolates Truffle Guy posted in another thread, I experimented with some new-to-me techniques this past weekend. I have usually either used the airbrush or hand-decorated with a paint brush, so this was my first attempt at doing both. My brush strokes still need some work, but overall I'm pleased with the general idea...

Posted Image

Are there specific brushes people have found work well for them? I picked up a bunch of random brushes, and as I get more focused on trying to get a certain effect, I find I often don't have quite the right brush, and i'm wondering what your favorites are.

Tammy's Tastings

Creating unique food and drink experiences

eGullet Foodblogs #1 and #2
Dinner for 40

#299 ejw50

ejw50
  • participating member
  • 334 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 09:06 PM

Inspired by some beautiful Valentine's Day chocolates Truffle Guy posted in another thread, I experimented with some new-to-me techniques this past weekend. I have usually either used the airbrush or hand-decorated with a paint brush, so this was my first attempt at doing both. My brush strokes still need some work, but overall I'm pleased with the general idea...

Posted Image

Are there specific brushes people have found work well for them? I picked up a bunch of random brushes, and as I get more focused on trying to get a certain effect, I find I often don't have quite the right brush, and i'm wondering what your favorites are.

View Post

ttt for anybody's experiences. My techniques are purely airbrush or hand-decorated with paint brush and lustre dust (similar to the "Norman love tribute" above. If anybody has any tricks they'd like to share w ith 'splashing' or more detailed designs, I've love to hear them.

#300 Smiley Riley

Smiley Riley
  • participating member
  • 29 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 09:41 PM

Posted Image

View Post

ttt for anybody's experiences. My techniques are purely airbrush or hand-decorated with paint brush and lustre dust (similar to the "Norman love tribute" above. If anybody has any tricks they'd like to share w ith 'splashing' or more detailed designs, I've love to hear them.

View Post

Those are very nice!!
I too am just as curious as to how to do the different effects.
I just bought an airbrush and am waiting to unmold my first exeperiments.
I used a toothpick to dribble drops of cocoa butter, and also a stiff toothbrush to spackle the peanutbutter cups.
Any other ideas?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Confections, Chocolate