Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Pickles

Condiments Indian

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#61 Geetha

Geetha
  • participating member
  • 201 posts

Posted 06 May 2005 - 10:19 AM

milagai
I have only tasted or rather remember having heard of mango ginger when in north mango turmeric I remember a scant mention in our homes in south.. I am not sure if mango haldi is used for pickles as readily as mango ginger.. in north that is as far as my memory goes. :raz:

But I love both these :smile: I would love to see photos or any illustrations any any related info you might have sabiha

gEetha

#62 loki

loki
  • participating member
  • 113 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 12:29 PM

I just posted a sweet eggplant brinjal pickle recipe:  http://forums.egulle...brinjal-pickle/

#63 loki

loki
  • participating member
  • 113 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 12:41 PM

Anyone has experience of making pickle with the localy available raw mangoes in USA. Which one are best suitable for pickle making.

I know this is a vary late reply, but I peruse these old posts sometimes so I figure it's just adding to the info....  I'm not sure what exactly is meant by "localy (sic) available mangoes" but I will assume this to mean "in the grocery store".  Well, most often they are not green!  They may be green on the outside, but they must be green and firm on the inside.  I will make a salad with these (Thai) or a curry (South Indian), but I think a pickle may not work as they are most often in the mid-ripe stage, and are slightly sweet, and starting to soften.  However, lately, I've been seeing some pretty green ones in the Supermarket, and Mexican Grocery stores (They do use green mangoes in Mexico, but I hardly see them in the markets!).  They do have them in Asian Markets (Southeast Asian, or Indian), but the nearest one is quite a drive for me.  Having said that, I think there are some Indian Pickles you could make with partially ripe mangoes - perhaps some of the sweet ones.  Lastly, when I lived in Florida, green mangoes were of course available locally (in my backyard, and all through the neighborhood). Many were not picked, as there were just too many!

#64 loki

loki
  • participating member
  • 113 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 12:51 PM

I just added another pickle recipe: Sour Tomatillo Pickle Achar.  This one is made with non-traditional ingredient - tomatilloes, but it is very similar to other sour Indian fruits and vegetables. Tomatilloes are very easy to grow and are extremely prolific for me, thus I wanted to find a way to use them.  http://forums.egulle...o-pickle-achar/

#65 ericparkr

ericparkr
  • participating member
  • 45 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 11:53 PM

Green Chilli Pickle, Lemon Pickle, Garlic Pickle and my most favorite Mango Pickle.

Edited by ericparkr, 13 August 2013 - 11:58 PM.

#66 Plantes Vertes

Plantes Vertes
  • participating member
  • 894 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 06:17 PM

Today I bought something I had never heard of or imagined: Bangladeshi olive pickle.

Olives, oil, salt, garlic, ginger, cumin, chilli, coriander, turmeric, mustard, aniseed.

PRAN brand.

The olives in it are cut up but the fragments are gigantic. The whole fruit must have been a couple of inches long.

Is this a traditional condiment?

How would it normally be served?

Are olives common in Bangladeshi cuisine?

All information welcome. Preferably before I finish the jar. So soon. :biggrin:

ETA I know that Bangladesh is not in India. This seemed the most appropriate topic...

Edited by Plantes Vertes, 08 December 2013 - 06:27 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Condiments, Indian