Decorum and Topicality Guidelines
In order to encourage an open exchange of culinary information and views, Society members are expected to act with civility and to maintain a focus on issues pertaining to food and drink.
- We do not permit ad hominem arguments or personal attacks.
- We do not permit comments that we deem abusive or threatening, inappropriately rude or personal, invasive of privacy, or violative of any law.
- Excessive repetition and filibustering are not permitted.
- Register your feedback about objectionable content, suggested merges, or other administrative matters by clicking the "report" button and notifying the moderators, not by posting on eG Forums.
- The Society prohibits the posting of false or unconfirmed statements of fact that may injure the reputation of another party.
- Society members who post factual statements in the eG Forums represent by so doing that such statements are true and accurate to the best of their knowledge.
- A personal opinion as to the truthfulness of a factual statement (for example, that a visit to a restaurant resulted in "food poisoning" or that a certain restaurant is going out of business) does not constitute reasonable proof as to the truthfulness of that factual statement.
- Each Society member bears full legal and ethical responsibility for all material posted in eG Forums discussions or communicated via Society technologies by such member.
- Discussions in the food and drink forums are restricted to the topics of food and drink. Posts on a given topic must pertain to that topic.
- Members who participate in discussions about businesses, organizations, or websites with which they're affiliated must disclose the relevant affiliations, either in their posts or in their signature lines.
- We do not permit the use of eG Forums discussions for advertising businesses, websites, or other organizations, commercial or non-commercial.
- Members may mention their company, services, products, or websites (personal or commercial) only to the extent they further a discussion, tastefully and without gratuitous repetition.
- Classifieds: individual members may post items for sale at the eG Forums, provided they create a new topic for the sale in the appropriate forum, the item for sale is culinary in nature, and they are not representing a vendor or business. Any items offered for transaction must be transferred under conditions legal for the particular item. Complete forums rules regarding these postings may be found here.
- Members may link to their business and/or personal websites from their signature lines.
- All posts should contribute new, topical content to the discussion at hand.
- We permit political or religious discussion to the extent that it substantially focuses on our core subject of food and remains civil; however the scope of eG Forums discussions does not extend to general political or religious topics.
- Participation in the eG forums for research purposes must be disclosed publicly at the outset, and is permissible only to the extent that it encourages public discussion and does not solicit private replies.
- Those wishing to post requests to interview members should contact the Society public, media and community relations team at pr@eGullet.org with their requests. We will post appropriate requests and forward voluntary member responses along with relevant contact information.
- If you use eG Forums resources in a published work, please cite the member and note that the quotation, recipe or other information came from an eG Forums discussion at www.eGullet.org, the website of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters.
- NOTE TO COPY EDITORS AND FACT CHECKERS: The Society for Culinary Arts & Letters is a 501c3 not-for-profit organization. The URL for all Society offerings is eGullet.org, not .com.