Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Lime Shortage Affects Cocktail Bars, Restaurants...and You

• Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

#1 weinoo

weinoo
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 6,558 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 04:24 AM

So the latest shortage to hit consumers is the versatile lime. Used by restaurants and bars, the price increase is starting to make itself felt.

Even in Mexico, the issue is dire. According to CNN Mexico, prices in the country have spiked to almost 80 pesos ($6) a kilo, so its no surprise that prices here are bad. In a survey of friends across the country, prices have gone from a low of about $25 a case to the current market price of $135 a case.

This has hit bars hard.

From a story on Eater:

Poor weather in Colima is partly to blame for the shortage, destroying a majority of this year's crop. But a bigger issue is ongoing violence between Mexican drug cartels and the farmers they've been strong-arming, who've begun to fight back. Harvest and export of limes has gotten caught up in the mix, and the problem has filtered down to local bars, who are scrambling to adjust. Julio Bermejo, whose family has been churning out Tommy's margaritas since 1965, says it's the worst lime problem he's seen in his career. "I have never seen it this bad for so long."

And it also appears there a citrus disease affecting the lime tree. from the LA times:

A variety of factors have contributed to a shortage of limes in the United States that has more than doubled prices over this time last year. And one of the most important is an outbreak of a citrus disease in the prime lime-growing area of Colima, Mexico – and that’s a problem that could affect California as well in the near future.

http://www.latimes.c...y#ixzz2yIEBNkWk

What will we all do?  Would you ever resort to using chemical substitutes that mimic the flavor and acid of a lime?

Edited by weinoo, 08 April 2014 - 04:24 AM.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"
mweinstein@eGstaff.org
Tasty Travails - My Blog
My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs
Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

#2 Paul Bacino

Paul Bacino
  • participating member
  • 1,299 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 05:52 AM

maybe thats why I didnt find a bag at Costco this weekend

Its good to have Morels

#3 weinoo

weinoo
  • 6,558 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 06:40 AM

I just got back from my local "super" market, Their price for limes has always been 4 or 5 for $1; when on sale, 8 or 10 for the same price.

Today, they were 5 for $3.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"
mweinstein@eGstaff.org
Tasty Travails - My Blog
My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs
Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

#4 lindag

lindag
  • participating member
  • 405 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 06:47 AM

I bought 2 limes a couple days ago for 93-cents each.  Unfortunately I'll have to pay the price since cocktail hour calls.

#5 Paul Bacino

Paul Bacino
  • participating member
  • 1,299 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 07:06 AM

I just got back from my local "super" market, Their price for limes has always been 4 or 5 for $1; when on sale, 8 or 10 for the same price.

Today, they were 5 for $3.

Yep!!

Got 10 for $6  _  I remember my wife saying why did you get them here for that price.

So I bought mine to make a shrimp ceviche--  Lime juice, Tomitillo, cilantro, habanero, serrano, chive and avacado s and p

The limes were pretty dry--so yeah--I reached for the Real Lime Juice in the plastic container ( but just a little )  :(

Its good to have Morels

#6 johnelle

johnelle
  • participating member
  • 10 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 07:51 AM

Just Google "lime shortage cartels."  The WSJ has some really interesting in-depth pieces on what's going on in Mexico which is where the lime shortage in the US originates.

#7 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 2,228 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 08:18 AM

Whatever I end up doing, it will NOT be making mojitos and daiquiris with lemon, as they do in Lebanon. Ick.

• SylviaLovegren likes this

#8 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 3,088 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 11:08 AM

At Trader Joe's the price for a bag of organic limes (approx 6 limes) used to be $1.99. I think I paid $3 last week (I bought a couple of bags to make daiquiris). Yesterday they were not in stock, but for a Monday that is pretty typical as they were in the process of restocking.

#9 choux

choux
  • participating member
  • 280 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 11:31 AM

My local store has them for $1.49 each!!! Costco has not had them for the last 3 visits either. I have been segmenting one lime into 8 bits for my G&T's.

#10 Anna N

Anna N
  • 6,618 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 12:08 PM

Forty cents each at my local discount supermarket just now.
Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

"It either works fine or not, but what the heck. This is bread, not birth control." Susan of Wild Yeast blog
Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog
My 2004 eG Blog

#11 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 2,228 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 12:33 PM

Forty cents each at my local discount supermarket just now.

Not bad, you could probably hawk them here under the newly-allowed classified rules and make at least 50% profit on them!

• weinoo likes this

#12 Lisa Shock

Lisa Shock
  • society donor
  • 2,243 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 03:23 PM

I think I can stand to just drink other drink types for a while. Someone just gave me the last of the season's grapefruits, maybe ten pounds worth, so, for me anyway, it's gonna be grapefruit daiquiris and greyhounds for a while.

#13 OliverB

OliverB
  • participating member
  • 1,318 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 03:34 PM

I just paid a bit under 1$ each for small ones. I only use them for cooking though, and can certainly live without them, there are other recipes to try :-)

"And don't forget music - music in the kitchen is an essential ingredient!"
- Thomas Keller

Diablo Kitchen, my food blog

#14 Norm Matthews

Norm Matthews
  • participating member
  • 894 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 09:05 AM

This was part of an article in today's Kansas City Star:  "The problem centers in Mexico.....Bad weather and disease cut production earlier this year.  Meanwhild drug cartels in the state of Michoacan are demanding extortion payments from lime growers and have taken control of a distribution center where they sell their limes, ...

#15 Anna N

Anna N
  • 6,618 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 07:08 PM

image.jpg

Today. If you can read the sign you will see these are MEXICAN limes. Go figure. It doesn't add up.

"It either works fine or not, but what the heck. This is bread, not birth control." Susan of Wild Yeast blog
My 2004 eG Blog

#16 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 1,739 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 08:51 PM

It looks to me like someone drew a slash mark on the sign, Anna.  I can't wait to see what my local lime prices will be at the store tomorrow.

And I don't know about anybody else but I got my order in for half a pound of Mexican vanilla beans tonight.

#17 brinza

brinza
  • participating member
  • 467 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 11:28 AM

At Trader Joe's the price for a bag of organic limes (approx 6 limes) used to be $1.99. I think I paid $3 last week (I bought a couple of bags to make daiquiris). Yesterday they were not in stock, but for a Monday that is pretty typical as they were in the process of restocking.

I just bought a bag at Trader Joe's in Pittsburgh last week and I can't remember exactly what I paid, but it didn't seem out of the ordinary.  Could be a different story the next visit, however.  I'll have to see what Bottom Dollar is charging, if they have them at all.

Edited by brinza, 10 April 2014 - 11:28 AM.

Mike

"The mixing of whiskey, bitters, and sugar represents a turning point, as decisive for American drinking habits as the discovery of three-point perspective was for Renaissance painting." -- William Grimes

#18 brinza

brinza
  • participating member
  • 467 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 11:29 AM

It looks to me like someone drew a slash mark on the sign, Anna. 

The sign does also say, "or .29 ea"

Mike

"The mixing of whiskey, bitters, and sugar represents a turning point, as decisive for American drinking habits as the discovery of three-point perspective was for Renaissance painting." -- William Grimes

#19 Anna N

Anna N
  • 6,618 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 11:45 AM

It looks to me like someone drew a slash mark on the sign, Anna.  I can't wait to see what my local lime prices will be at the store tomorrow.

And I don't know about anybody else but I got my order in for half a pound of Mexican vanilla beans tonight.

Nope. No slash. This was the price. 4 for 99 cents or 29 cents each.

My 2004 eG Blog

#20 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 2,228 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 12:38 PM

Quick, get your arbitrage hat on. I'll take a dozen!

#21 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 1,739 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 07:38 PM

I reluctantly purchased another four limes this evening for $5.00.  However I just noticed my store sells US limes, not Mexican.  Duh.

#22 Anna N

Anna N
  • 6,618 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 07:07 PM

image.jpg

Earlier today. One of our more upmarket stores. Also Mexican limes.

My 2004 eG Blog

#23 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 2,228 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 07:26 PM

69 cents a pop at Whole Foods in DC today, which seems pretty normal. May check the suburban ethniquerias this weekend.

Edited by Hassouni, 11 April 2014 - 07:27 PM.

#24 Smithy

Smithy
  • host
  • 4,053 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 08:14 PM

2/$1 along the Texas Gulf Coast, today.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)

"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

#25 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 3,088 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 08:42 PM

49 cents a piece at TJ's today for conventional limes (organic limes not available).

#26 cakewalk

cakewalk
  • participating member
  • 1,624 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 09:55 PM

How am I supposed to make my lemon curd? I always use a bit of lime juice. (From the Sherry Yard recipe, it's the best.) Now imagine it spread on matzah. Really quite good, especially with some strawberries. But it needs the limes. Oh dear. Doctor! She put the lime in the coconut she drank them both up ...

https://www.youtube....h?v=5LxC3M-Yngs

• Jaymes and SylviaLovegren like this

#27 BeeZee

BeeZee
  • participating member
  • 548 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 04:46 PM

Limes $1.25 EACH today at supermarket. Yikes.
"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

#28 annachan

annachan
  • participating member
  • 1,138 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 10:00 PM

I've been feeling this pain since moving to Australia. It's not unusual for limes to be $1.50/$2.00 each....

#29 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 2,228 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 11:49 PM

My $0.69 limes made a pair of nice Navy Grogs and a truly killer Last Word - I think I can deal with that  :wink:

#30 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 1,739 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 03:18 PM

$1.50 today.

And rather scrofulous at that.