Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Potable Secret Santa

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 Plantes Vertes

Plantes Vertes
  • participating member
  • 894 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 08:53 PM

I have had an idea.

I'm not just boasting here, there's more to it than that...

Perhaps we can do a Spirits and Cocktails secret santa.

It could involve exchanging

- Actual gifts like barware or cocktail books, or spirits, of course

- Cocktail recipes we've chosen to suit the recipient

- Cocktail recipes we've invented to suit the recipient

- Recommendations for relevant websites/apps

- An introduction to an obscure technique/ingredient

- Vouchers for relevant suppliers

I see potential difficulties with all six but maybe someone will have a better idea.

What do you all think?

Click here for the terms under which this event is listed in eG Forums.

#2 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 3,012 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 09:15 PM

I'd be up for it but we'd better get started soon. Shipping stuff internationally during the holiday season can easily take weeks.

#3 Rafa

Rafa
  • participating member
  • 672 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 09:41 PM

I'm in.

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

#4 Plantes Vertes

Plantes Vertes
  • participating member
  • 894 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 02:16 PM

:unsure:

FrogPrincesse and Rafa, I'm afraid that the three of us cannot generate the requisite mystery for this idea to fly. Maybe some others will join us; otherwise we might have to drop the scheme :sad:

#5 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 2,130 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 03:34 PM

Yalla, in.

#6 Plantes Vertes

Plantes Vertes
  • participating member
  • 894 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 04:54 PM

All right! I say four is good. Forward me your postal addresses and I'll redistribute them. Word of honour I will do this out of a hat and genuinely at random.

#7 Rafa

Rafa
  • participating member
  • 672 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 05:20 PM

It must be a hat. We have your word.

Edited by Rafa, 02 December 2013 - 05:20 PM.

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

#8 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 2,130 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 05:27 PM

A talking one, too

• Rafa likes this

#9 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 3,012 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 05:32 PM

I think it's just a ploy to get our addresses. I expect a knock on my door any time now. Better hide my good stuff asap.

• Rafa likes this

#10 Plantes Vertes

Plantes Vertes
  • participating member
  • 894 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 07:10 PM

As there are few of us I think that physical gifts will be possible - please let me know if that is not the case.

It's been pointed out to me that we need a guide price. I would suggest a bottle of spirits or equivalent. Does that sound reasonable? I see that shipping booze is prohibited in certain jurisdictions so I invite you to to consult the relevant laws and your consciences and act accordingly.

Do feel free to raise objections or alternative ideas. I have as promised done the hat thing and you should now be in receipt of your Santee,

#11 Rafa

Rafa
  • participating member
  • 672 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 07:10 PM

In receipt of my Santee and properly excited. My plan is to ship a bottle of spirits or its equivalent but I do not require this of whoever my Santer may be. From each according to her/his ability.

Edited by Rafa, 02 December 2013 - 07:22 PM.

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

#12 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 2,130 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 07:13 PM

the Verve would have to hit real hard at the opening, then fade to a bunch of blah in the main body of the drink, with no finish at all, until a full 5 minutes later when there's one last flash of awesomeness on the palate.

• FrogPrincesse, Rico, turkoftheplains and 2 others like this

#13 Rafa

Rafa
  • participating member
  • 672 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 07:14 PM

I posted that comment in the wrong thread and edited out, but demand that you leave your now unprovoked slam on Britpop's shoegaze-y pioneers untouched, for future historians to puzzle over. 

• Rico and Hassouni like this

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

#14 Rafa

Rafa
  • participating member
  • 672 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 12:30 PM

I have to apologize to my secret santee as it does not appear that his/her/zir gift will arrive before the 25th as I had hoped, but likely a day or two after. I can only affirm that it was selected and wrapped with great affection and excitement. 

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

#15 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 2,130 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 12:37 PM

shkle?

#16 Rafa

Rafa
  • participating member
  • 672 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 12:57 PM

That's what shkle said. 

• judiu, KD1191 and Hassouni like this

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

#17 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 2,130 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 11:41 PM

Just a note - if anyone's package to me is delayed, note that I'll be out of country from late in the day on the 26th until well into January---get them to hold it!

#18 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 3,012 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 11:54 PM

Just a note - if anyone's package to me is delayed, note that I'll be out of country from late in the day on the 26th until well into January---get them to hold it!

Same here. I will be out of town from the 25th until Jan 9th.

#19 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 3,012 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 01:02 PM

I have to apologize to my secret santee as it does not appear that his/her/zir gift will arrive before the 25th as I had hoped, but likely a day or two after. I can only affirm that it was selected and wrapped with great affection and excitement. 

Mine will be late as well. But it should be worth the wait, I promise...

• Hassouni likes this

#20 Chris Amirault

Chris Amirault
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 19,626 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 03:11 PM

Those sadly late to the party will be given pix, yes? 

• judiu and Rafa like this
Chris Amirault
camirault@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics Signatory
Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

#21 Plantes Vertes

Plantes Vertes
  • participating member
  • 894 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 03:13 PM

Santa dropped by while I was visiting my folks.

021 (640x480).jpg

022 (640x480).jpg

Thanks Santa! I'm stoked.

Edited by Plantes Vertes, 06 January 2014 - 03:17 PM.

• judiu and Hassouni like this

#22 EvergreenDan

EvergreenDan
  • participating member
  • 992 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 07:45 AM

@PV's Santa: Nice!

Kindred Cocktails | Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community

#23 tanstaafl2

tanstaafl2
  • participating member
  • 717 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 02:35 PM

Santa dropped by while I was visiting my folks.

attachicon.gif021 (640x480).jpg

attachicon.gif022 (640x480).jpg

Thanks Santa! I'm stoked.

Quite an interesting collection of bourbons. Two from the same mashbill of a big distiller although one brand is much less common than the other, two sourced bourbons, one from Kentucky and one from Indiana, both blended by separate but very reputable craft distillers, and a small "craft" distillery bourbon that has been aged briefly in small barrels.  

Should make an interesting comparison!

Edited by tanstaafl2, 09 January 2014 - 02:43 PM.

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

#24 Plantes Vertes

Plantes Vertes
  • participating member
  • 894 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 01:15 PM

Did this idea work? Is there some sort of postal discretion in operation in the United States that prevents people from posting their trove or have the presents not arrived?

#25 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 2,130 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 01:24 PM

Oh, they have! Thanks for setting it up and hope you enjoy the bourbon (figured Kentucky-ish bourbon was the closest representative product from me in VA/DC)

Mine was a shiny bottle of La Favorite. Not sure if my benefactor would prefer the identity kept secret...

#26 ChrisTaylor

ChrisTaylor
  • host
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 01:25 PM

Supposedly the US Postal Service won't handle booze. I discovered this recently. 

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

#27 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 3,012 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 01:30 PM

Mine hasn't arrived. Hopefully it did not get lost in the mail...

I was very glad that Hassouni got his just in time for Christmas.

#28 Rafa

Rafa
  • participating member
  • 672 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 02:07 PM

Mine has not arrived, nor does my gift appear to have reached its intended. I fear it's lost in the mail... time to make a phone call. 

Edited by Rafa, 22 January 2014 - 02:11 PM.

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

#29 tanstaafl2

tanstaafl2
  • participating member
  • 717 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 10:19 AM

Supposedly the US Postal Service won't handle booze. I discovered this recently. 

What they don't know won't hurt them! Unless it 'splodes...

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

#30 Mjx

Mjx
  • manager
  • 6,367 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 01:39 PM

Mine has not arrived, nor does my gift appear to have reached its intended. I fear it's lost in the mail... time to make a phone call. 

If your package still hasn't reached its destination, and you were unaware of the regulations prohibiting sending alcohol through the USPS and did so, you may want to think twice before investigating this.

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org