• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2024

liuzhou

@weinoo, nothing better than a roast chicken dinner.   Your chicken looks perfect.

Pasta for breakfast (no pics) and pizza for an early dinner.

I haven't made a pizza for Moe and I since the first week of January.

Matt usually takes some of the dough and makes pizza at least once a week for himself.
ItalianSausageMushroomPizzaFebruary19th20241.thumb.jpg.3ebd5db49c28a3dc10dc2f9d160b8e70.jpg
This was a small pizza for Moe and I to share.
ItalianSausageMushroomPizzaFebruary19th2024.thumb.jpg.b4d212e8bb6bc7944ee035e0adf41cf7.jpg
Homemade Italian sausage with cremini mushrooms.
ItalianSausageMushroomPizzaFebruary19th20242.thumb.jpg.dcdb33d137fa5efc3c847376592db34e.jpg
Dough was in the fridge since Thursday.
  • Like 13
  • Delicious 5

Dinner was pork belly and vegetable stir fry. The white strips are ribbons of daikon which tasted OK. The sauce was oyster sauce with some chilli crisp. 

I saw fresh lychees and logans which I had to buy, but then bought a tin of peeled lychees and some raspberries. Placed all in glasses, poured some crème de cacao over, added an ice cream from the freezer and a ginger cookie and that was dessert.

B00FBB21-45BC-4E5A-9E5D-118082BA6A01.jpeg.8376b0363893da2fb7111987b0faba4d.jpeg000F8076-FFA7-4FE9-AC0B-F6016E8613C5.jpeg.20e27555477c9ededb944ae63b632869.jpeg

• Like 13
  • Delicious 3

Barely got there in time...

image.thumb.jpeg.3434b095a3a2f11b76282f853716d936.jpeg

Chicken shepherd's pie.  I wanted a little more browning on the top, so I turned on the broiler, set a timer for 3 minutes, went into the other room.  After 2 minutes, there was an aroma in the air, so I hustled back into the kitchen and shut the broiler down quickly, otherwise this might've been a disaster.

Man, the Wolf broiler is powerful and quick.

• Like 12
  • Delicious 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

On 2/18/2024 at 9:13 PM, C. sapidus said:

Thank you! Yes, homemade concoction to supplement the commercial red curry paste.

8 lemongrass stalks to a package is a lot. I found 5 to a package and used one in tonight's meal. Dunno what I will do with the rest but lemongrass is easy to toss into salads, stir-fries, etc. We shall see. 🙂

My CSA grew lemongrass this summer and of course gave us a ton of it.  I cut off the unusable parts and then froze the rest whole, wrapped very well.  It's been fine to use from frozen.

Sunday we had chicken and eggplant parmesan at my nephew's request

chickenandeggplantparmesean.thumb.jpg.d920ae60cc982766a389ff01e376aa63.jpg

And last night was my choice: Thai red curry sweet potato and carrot soup 

sweetpotatosoup.thumb.jpg.153be10b071caab22b5dc774fb4b34b7.jpg

• Like 14
  • Delicious 3

46 minutes ago, weinoo said:

image.thumb.jpeg.3434b095a3a2f11b76282f853716d936.jpeg

Chicken shepherd's pie.  I wanted a little more browning on the top, so I turned on the broiler, set a timer for 3 minutes, went into the other room.  After 2 minutes, there was an aroma in the air, so I hustled back into the kitchen and shut the broiler down quickly, otherwise this might've been a disaster.

I was just wondering the other day why I've never seen/heard of anyone making a chicken shepherd's pie. Did you use the same basic stuff as for a beef/lamb version or is it more like a chicken pot pie with potato instead of pastry?

• Like 1

Deb

Liberty, MO

30 minutes ago, Maison Rustique said:

I was just wondering the other day why I've never seen/heard of anyone making a chicken shepherd's pie. Did you use the same basic stuff as for a beef/lamb version or is it more like a chicken pot pie with potato instead of pastry?

Yeah, it's pretty much the chicken pot pie filling topped with mashed potatoes. This was a second attempt, and while I thought the gravy inside was thickened enough, the thick layer of mashed potatoes definitely made the interior wetter than I'd like.

Interior was sweated leeks, onions, carrots, celery, garlic, shallots in butter and olive oil.  A couple of T of flour then went in, followed by white wine, stock, and a bit of cream.  It thickened nicely, and the chicken and peas were added.  The whole was topped with the mash and baked at 375℉ for about 30 minutes.  Tasty but had too much gravy.

• Like 6

Tasty Travails - My Blog

Last night's dinner waws Vegetable Beef Soup, a winter time favorite.

Packed with every vegetable I could think of.  Potato, carrot, fennel, cabbage, celery, tomato, beef broth, onion and, of course, the beer; I used a small chuck eye steak.

Lots of herbs.

Speaking of herbs, lately I've been using these.

Fresh herbs are so fragile and short lived.

These Lighthouse herbs are great.

• Like 4

@Norm Matthews Beautiful bread!

Chicken broccoli Alfredo with a Caesar salad

image.jpeg.901335092ce2bb17e09abc2bc6753349.jpeg

thumbnail_IMG_5783.jpg.5be5e2686c2e2e3de4e3cf7add749178.jpg

Ribs with spinach and hatch Chile macaroni

thumbnail_IMG_5789-1.jpg.a98a0dd98550e4079af92c25f2dd1e3c.jpg

@Smithyhas been talking about using packaged foods for convenience over here .  I've been doing that for a bit, too.  Sometimes I use jarred Alfredo sauce instead of making my own.  Bertolli's sauce tastes just as good to me.   There are just some nights I don't feel like thinking lol.  Some things like spaghetti sauce I can throw together in my sleep.  Other things like curries make me have to follow recipes...dig out ingredients that are buried....etc.  I ordered this off of Misfits.  It's good.  I see the salt content is high though.

thumbnail_IMG_5813.jpg.4f5eba48250a5a214bcc20b72af99f8c.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_5814.jpg.02ea53344cd8c420d84806e6c4854b97.jpg

Quick and easy to add already cooked chicken.  I also did a couple egg rolls that I previously made and had in the freezer

thumbnail_IMG_5794-1.jpg.51821a457a890fa0c479d662beb8f7eb.jpg

I came across a can of tamales in the pantry.  I love canned tamales.  Ronnie does not.  He thinks the meat tastes weird.  I have tried to explain to him that he shouldn't think of it as "meat" per se.  Think of it as a .....canned tamale but that hasn't worked lol.  Anyway I thought about @Kim Shook's dish that she would make when her and Mr. Kim were first married.  I searched but I could not find on EG where she posted how she made it so I winged it.  Most recipes online showed covering them with canned chili but I didn't have any so I just did tamales sprinkled with sharp cheddar, onions and Fritos baked in the oven until bubbly.

thumbnail_IMG_5795.jpg.f9e95a733b49c0d0ef3799fcbb1cfe67.jpg

I loved it.  Ronnie did not lol.

Quesadillas to use up leftover steak and beans to go with.

thumbnail_IMG_5796.jpg.d738523026c6539b3b168245a1e58bff.jpg

Ronnie got one last goose before the season closed.  Brined it for a couple of days.

thumbnail_IMG_5797.jpg.92649077029653a29058dd003681fbfe.jpg

Seasoned and stuffed with lemon wedges and fresh thyme

thumbnail_IMG_5799.jpg.dabb33c4353a484b465d9761b0aa231e.jpg

After roasting

thumbnail_IMG_5800.jpg.24c8b1366dc8e2c837d30117b078659e.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_5804.jpg.838975e2bcc53192cc1cc91fb2f8631f.jpg

scalloped potatoes and asparagus to go with

thumbnail_IMG_5802.jpg.1d72f4429cdf359497499ddeb25b955d.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_5805.jpg.5396ff2ec90a3381c77d9e9cf95dc5c5.jpg

Last night venison spaghetti red and blueberry bread for dessert

thumbnail_IMG_5810.jpg.e3bea4633e891dad4dd89fdf5dc39016.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_5809.jpg.03101263e908823145db226347ae1f9d.jpg

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 8

1 hour ago, Shelby said:

I came across a can of tamales in the pantry.  I love canned tamales.  Ronnie does not.  He thinks the meat tastes weird.  I have tried to explain to him that he shouldn't think of it as "meat" per se.  Think of it as a .....canned tamale but that hasn't worked lol.  Anyway I thought about @Kim Shook's dish that she would make when her and Mr. Kim were first married.  I searched but I could not find on EG where she posted how she made it so I winged it.  Most recipes online showed covering them with canned chili but I didn't have any so I just did tamales sprinkled with sharp cheddar, onions and Fritos baked in the oven until bubbly.

thumbnail_IMG_5795.jpg.f9e95a733b49c0d0ef3799fcbb1cfe67.jpg

I don't think I've ever had canned tamales! Am I correct in assuming that they don't have the corn husk wrapper? Are they just the meat/whatever filling, surrounded by the masa? Already cooked, but no longer in the wrapper?

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

24 minutes ago, Smithy said:

I don't think I've ever had canned tamales! Am I correct in assuming that they don't have the corn husk wrapper? Are they just the meat/whatever filling, surrounded by the masa? Already cooked, but no longer in the wrapper?

Trust me when I say that they are not super similar to real tamales lol.  

Yes, meat filling surrounded by masa and each tamale is wrapped in wax paper.  And yes, already cooked.  You just warm them up.

• Thanks 1

So I've got this ham I've been doing with potatoes.. but I'm out.  We have lots of acorn squash...

So I took 1/2 an acorn squash, cut it up small and put in our steam oven at steam + convection 320f. In 7 mins it was ready to go into some butter...  OMG this is so good.

Of course I've got the 2019 Chardonnay from HDV's Le Debut (younger vines)

Very yummy!

20240220_173211.thumb.jpg.7595293eef33b7566875f759349c57fa.jpg

• Like 8

Pork picadillo tacos topped with roasted chile Poblano, feta, and tapatio.The picadillo included raisins and toasted almond slivers, with a sauce of onion, garlic, canela, cloves, black pepper, and toasted/soaked chile ancho blended with crushed tomato.

Picadillo_palmitos_202402-2.thumb.jpg.10cff32654a11a4d453cdb6146b45de2.jpg

Crema de palmitos, made with canned hearts of palm, garlic, shallot, scallions, and Mrs. C's chicken stock. Simple and very good. I had mine with roasted chile Poblano and feta.

Picadillo_palmitos_202402-1.thumb.jpg.d8eb66f36c948336f2f35299e51d9a74.jpg

• Like 18
  • Delicious 4

40 minutes ago, rotuts said:

TJ's Fz fish nuggets.   they have been out of these for several months.  

@rotuts, if you are ever interested in trying something different with your fish sticks/nuggets, you might consider Nigella's Fish Finger Bhorta.  The recipe is in her book, Cook, Eat, Repeat, and a lot of folks in the cookbook group I participate in thought it was surprisingly good.  It's on my list to try one of these days.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Shelby said:

Trust me when I say that they are not super similar to real tamales lol.  

Yes, meat filling surrounded by masa and each tamale is wrapped in wax paper.  And yes, already cooked.  You just warm them up.

The one and only time I've ever had canned tamales was on our honeymoon, 58 years ago, in Banff. Guess w didn't care for them as we've never had them since! LOL!
That goose and blueberry bread look amazing!

• Haha 2

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Meals had been catered to the grands. Sunday, first supper alone: Odds and Ends from the fridge and freezer from meals before grands:
Bit of beef Fajita, Shake'n Bake BBQ chicken breast, a couple of shrimp over noodles and Gailan.

OddsandEnds3657.jpg.78b3d9a6137a16bc2d567a58fa74301b.jpg

Wanted Beef and Sechuan spicy turnip, but was out, so used Mui Choy (fermented cabbage), spicy radish and mint.

BeefMuiChoy3626.jpg.2793c59adfd67843323a60412af2b0e0.jpg

We have a grocery here called Brandon Food Rescue that sells excess food donated from various stores, Hutterite colonies, etc The food is sold at reduced prices that help low income folks. But, they also have a couple of vendors, local farms for beef, lamb, pork, poultry.  I saw lamb advertised and wanted to try their product. Prices were similar to our grocery stores.

I picked up a package of lamb ribs - 2 racks $20.00. They were wrapped in butcher paper so I couldn't see what they were like.

I slow roasted the ribs last night with Turkish spices. They did not have a lot of meat, but what there was, nice flavour and tender after 3 hours in foil. Had a couple of stove-top grilled lamb chops to make an actual meat meal for hubby!

Lambchopsandribs3674.jpg.1d6709e810aeb06c22eb69153577cead.jpg

• Like 15
  • Delicious 3

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

On 2/20/2024 at 7:56 AM, weinoo said:

I have a Wolf too.  If I am broiling on the top rack I always check after 90 seconds.  If I want to leave it in longer I start on the middle rack and then move it up for the last minute or so.  Otherwise, char central!

Last night was clear out the crisper drawernight, so a chopped salad with leftover chicken cleaned all that up

choppedchickensalad.thumb.jpg.52f0f6be3421bec75e3e422a2e881ea6.jpg

• Like 14
  • Delicious 1

21 minutes ago, liamsaunt said:

I have a Wolf too.  If I am broiling on the top rack I always check after 90 seconds.  If I want to leave it in longer I start on the middle rack and then move it up for the last minute or so.  Otherwise, char central!

Yeah, I'm on the 2nd rack, but with the sliding racks it makes it harder to move the racks up and down.

I don't think you eat read meat, but have you ever cooked a steak under that broiler = I imagine it's pretty close to a restaurant salamander.

• Like 2

Tasty Travails - My Blog

On 2/19/2024 at 3:29 AM, chromedome said:

Terrines are fun. :)

That's an attractive dish, and an appealing first post (welcome aboard, btw!). What are the grainy bits in the mushroom sauce?

it is pickled mustard seeds.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1