• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2024

liuzhou

2 hours ago, Duvel said:

While I can vivdly imagine a Parmigiano chicharrón I am also intrigued by the celeriac tartare … could you elaborate 🙏 ?

I wish I could, @Duvel, as I really like celeriac, and often make Céleri Rémoulade.  It was almost a purée, but other than that I have no idea how it was  made, but I'll see if I can get the recipe from the chef!

• Thanks 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

After almost too much dining out, a couple of dinners at home were necessary.

IMG_1486.thumb.jpeg.f9b0eb697cf2520114e65638428f1f36.jpeg

Not for @rotuts's roast chicken picture collection, as I tore the skin, but still a delicious bird. That'll teach me not to try to cook this in a different pan (said pan ended up going down the chute!).  With sautéed spinach, roasted potatoes and roasted carrots.  Chicken (Sundance Farms) was salted and dried in the fridge for a day and a half - really helps the bird.

IMG_1489.thumb.jpeg.a8906f7d438654f42f597d9953ac6b11.jpeg

Last night's crab cake with house-made cole slaw and cocktail sauce.  And not house-grown avocado and tomato.  Japanese rice served with.

• Like 14
  • Delicious 4

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

A quick supper after a busy day with appointments: Shake'n'Bake Chicken Cavendish fries and peas

ShakenBakechicken3611.jpg.ba4a92c7017c56fe2824d0bd0980e338.jpg

Had strip loin steaks thawed, but didn't feel like steak. Sliced and stir-fried with fajita seasonings, veg. Eaten with flour tortillas, fixings and guac.

Leftover beef was used for next day's supper, steamed with Mui Choy, chili flakes, and mint leaves

DeconstructedFajita3620.jpg.3b01c2e2715718ecddf60a4a2e01c293.jpgBeefMuiChoy3626.jpg.a904e702c4b96d48da01233f7667e4ba.jpg

Had the grands here for the weekend while parents are away to Calif for a "conference". 25 year old grandson was helping out by sleeping over with them at their house. HE eats copious amounts of anything. The girls are picky, but they both love ham and scalloped potatoes, and uncooked vegetables!  Banana Cream Pie from scratch as per request, MY Mom's recipe.

StuddedHam3634.jpg.ae774ada683e88c031c75200f035038c.jpgBCPie3631.jpg.1375dd56d51dec6901a8d1613b83eabc.jpg

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 5

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Casserole pre-bake…spaghetti squash with a topping of sauteed mushrooms/onion, tomatoes, and diced, roasted eggplant. Grated parm. Will be having it with panko-crusted chicken breast strips.

PXL_20240218_214424855_Original.jpeg

• Like 12
  • Delicious 1

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

2 hours ago, rotuts said:

@Dejah

that ham looks perfect.

and I agree ,  nothing goes better w baked ham

then scalloped potato.

followed by Banana cream pie ?

a perfect a combination 

Heartily agree

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Red curry bay scallops with green beans, lime leaves, cashews, palm sugar, fish sauce, and coconut milk. Red curry paste from a tub, supplemented with pureed lemongrass, shallots, garlic, red chile, cilantro stems, and ginger.

Stir-fried mung bean sprouts with shallot, garlic, red chile, soy sauce, chives, S&P. High reward for minimal effort.

Prik_king_202402.thumb.jpg.dc5d3fec197fa1c31091062148055a97.jpg

Edited by C. sapidus (log)
  • Like 16
  • Delicious 1

38 minutes ago, C. sapidus said:

Red curry bay scallops with green beans, lime leaves, cashews, palm sugar, fish sauce, and coconut milk. Red curry paste from a tub, supplemented with pureed lemongrass, shallots, garlic, red chile, cilantro stems, and ginger.

Stir-fried mung bean sprouts with shallot, garlic, red chile, soy sauce, chives, S&P. High reward for minimal effort.

Prik_king_202402.thumb.jpg.dc5d3fec197fa1c31091062148055a97.jpg

Looks fabulous! When you say 

"pureed lemongrass, shallots, garlic, red chile, cilantro stems, and ginger" is that a homemade concoction? I can buy lemongrass stalks, but they are about 8 to a package - way too much for one recipe. Looking for a way to not waste the lemongrass

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, MaryIsobel said:

Looks fabulous! When you say 

"pureed lemongrass, shallots, garlic, red chile, cilantro stems, and ginger" is that a homemade concoction? I can buy lemongrass stalks, but they are about 8 to a package - way too much for one recipe. Looking for a way to not waste the lemongrass

Thank you! Yes, homemade concoction to supplement the commercial red curry paste.

8 lemongrass stalks to a package is a lot. I found 5 to a package and used one in tonight's meal. Dunno what I will do with the rest but lemongrass is easy to toss into salads, stir-fries, etc. We shall see. 🙂

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, MaryIsobel said:

I can buy lemongrass stalks, but they are about 8 to a package - way too much for one recipe. Looking for a way to not waste the lemongrass

You could try rooting some to grow outside in the summer or in a pot indoors. 
Luckily, I can buy them by them individually, priced per lb but I might try this anyway. 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Luckily, I can buy them by them individually, priced per lb but I might try this anyway. 

You beat me to it. I've done this successfully on my balcony despite my very ungreen fingers.

I don't have any growing at the moment following a house move but now this topic has reminded me, I'll start again.

• Like 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

6 hours ago, Fiona So said:

image.thumb.jpeg.3c463ce05e8f63496831274ea9d5a610.jpeg

First try of Trout and Sprawn Terrein with chrispy fish skin

Terrines are fun. :)

That's an attractive dish, and an appealing first post (welcome aboard, btw!). What are the grainy bits in the mushroom sauce?

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

11 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

Not always possible depending on what her lemongrass looks like.  All the lemongrass I've seen in my area has been cut off above the base with roots and will not root, no matter what.  I've even tried rooting hormone which can make almost anything root.  Not only that, but all of the lemongrass I've bought here is old and dry like a twig.  I'd imagine that even if it had roots, it would be long past the point of being able to grow further.  For my garden, I actually wound up buying a lemongrass start.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, KennethT said:

Not always possible depending on what her lemongrass looks like.  All the lemongrass I've seen in my area has been cut off above the base with roots and will not root, no matter what.  I've even tried rooting hormone which can make almost anything root.  Not only that, but all of the lemongrass I've bought here is old and dry like a twig.  I'd imagine that even if it had roots, it would be long past the point of being able to grow further.  For my garden, I actually wound up buying a lemongrass start.

Yes, that's why I included the Garden Betty link as her photos show that the base needs to be intact. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, rotuts said:

@Dejah

that ham looks perfect.

and I agree ,  nothing goes better w baked ham

then scalloped potato.

followed by Banana cream pie ?

a perfect a combination 

Thanks! The fat bits on the ham, brushed with maple syrup, were SO good!

It was a supper enjoyed by all.

• Like 1

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Since I am on a bread making jag, I thought I'd try some decorative scoring.  I looked at examples on line.  Some of them use dark bread and brushed a layer of white flour over the top for contrast.  I didn't see any examples of what i did but it was worth a try. I used white flour for the bread and mixed a small amount of cocoa with white flour to dust over the top.  I have read that they use cocoa in rye flour to make it dark so I hope it tastes OK. We will make sandwiches with it for supper.  This was my third attempt.  I have some ideas for way to improve my earlier failures.

image-4.jpeg

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 16
  • Delicious 4