• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2023

liuzhou

^^^Boudin caught my eye. I keep meaning to order from theCajunGrocer. Stock up on boudin and want to try their soft shell shrimp. Live crayfish but not a crowd here that would appreciate them. 

Spaghetti con Vongole e Carciofi. Clams and artichokes. Mango salad.

IMG_6104.jpeg

IMG_6094.jpeg

• Like 13
  • Delicious 3

On 5/10/2023 at 9:33 PM, gfweb said:

That would annoy me. I've had several orders, always without skin, so I can't address that. 

Never any bones. Really no complaints. Its not sushi grade salmon but better than supermarket by an order of magnitude. 

I'm happy with their cod, halibut, scallops.  Tuna was ok not great.

I've been very happy with all things WildFork except for the salmon. I've been ordering from PrideOfBristolBay for 6-7 years now. We like crispy skin.  And med-rare on the rare side. It is sushi grade. 

My family likes salmon well done, no skin. Made a full half WildFork skin-on for Dad Christmas meal. En papillote, lemon, shallot, and shaved fennel. Meh, but they loved it. Skin was left behind so did not notice scales. No pin bones. One sister only eats shrimp and salmon so in the few fisherman's stews I made I added a couple WildFork salmon portions cubed. Pretty bland. 

I did not even know salmon had noticeable scales. Maybe we have been eating scales all these years?. I doubt that. PrideofBristol must scale their fish. I would think as I'm prepping I would feel them. Rare to find a pin bone. crispy skin recipe. Just the way we like it. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Lamb_dal_202305-1.thumb.jpg.12b581a5f27de7a91e2704d600068727.jpg

Cubed lamb shoulder with garlic, ginger, curry leaves, garam masala, cumin, turmeric, cayenne, and green chilies, finished with black pepper and lemon juice. Served over rice with peas, onion, cardamom, cloves, and cinnamon.

Lamb_dal_202305-2.thumb.jpg.643812b208c06a8e8fcba0ddb147af0a.jpg

Masoor dal, finished with ghee-fried onion, paanch foran, cumin, turmeric, paprika, cayenne, and tomato. With no paanch foran on hand I ground up equal parts cumin, kala jeera, aniseed, coriander, and fenugreek.

Rice and dal were from a pamphlet-sized 1986 cookbook, probably the first Indian recipes I ever tried.

• Like 17
  • Delicious 2

Today is Mothers Day here in Germany - so after some “romantic” minigolf (little one still has to work on his concept of Mothers Day treats) …

3844DED0-3C92-4A4F-B6C6-0B74CB93D261.thumb.jpeg.1ebb07f168f1a3a8eca50eee2accc4f6.jpeg

The resident mother requested a seafood paella …

FFCC0599-CDFE-4C42-81D2-0BFFB248A2D9.thumb.jpeg.e84e7c7af35cc34f65162faa3baae9e6.jpeg

Made some allioli - olive oil, garlic & salt. More liquid than mayonnaise, but damn tasty …

EC081E62-77B1-4297-AB1F-78CCBC385F86.thumb.jpeg.454bf04a4722d2f6b4b93994c92f7792.jpeg

Cook also got a little treat 🤗 

74771455-A629-4832-9C74-A9B6A05965AD.thumb.jpeg.a993393b19c06b0b2d1157337a3083e5.jpeg

No complaints 🥳

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 4

52 minutes ago, Duvel said:

The resident mother requested a seafood paella …

The paella looks great; is that how you typically prepare a seafood paella (a little soupier than I do)?   Do you remember the proportions of liquid to rice?

• Thanks 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

3 minutes ago, weinoo said:

The paella looks great; is that how you typically prepare a seafood paella (a little soupier than I do)?   Do you remember the proportions of liquid to rice?

Said mother prefers the rice a bit on the soupy side (no soccarat here, my friend, much to my dismay) …

I use 250 g of rice (Bomba) and about 750-800 mL of stock.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I'm behind in my reading of this thread again, I'll be back to enjoy all these lovely photos soon.

We had another Wine Time appetizer dinner in the back yard.

My very first baguette ever made from @Tropicalsenior's recipe for Mock Sourdough. More about the journey here.

IMG_5209V_cropped.thumb.jpg.140aec4e5ed7545e6f83b0cb8e9c1771.jpg

Lot of garlic, fancy olive oil, heated enough for great smells to come forth.

IMG_5212_cr_small.thumb.jpg.95ca0571a6cf89892c403f3506bf6d9e.jpg

Fig & Date Press (Black Mission figs, dates, Turkish figs, almonds, hazelnuts) made in Southern California, purchased from Zingermans. No sugar added, so a good flavour with creamy cheese. The cheeses were Double Gouda and Fontina.

IMG_5207_cropped.thumb.jpg.3daa9890444493d0e1b580ad95002a4e.jpg

My neighbour brought some huge artichokes asparagus from his garden. 

IMG_5213_cropped.thumb.jpg.f5b766ea159a68657042e845665f8458.jpg

One artichoke asparagus spear was sliced thinly and added (uncooked) to the salad below, after the photo was taken. The salad had diced heirloom tomato, cilantro, snipped fresh chives, and diced Preserved Lemon (from Paula Wolfert via @Margaret Pilgrim). Sauce was AgroDolce White Balsamic Vinegar with grape must. Also from top clockwise: local cucamelon pickles, cornichons, black Moroccan olives, sweet gherkin pickles, and ground cherries.

IMG_5204_cropped.thumb.jpg.442513793fe811ae4a2e795b2ba6d0ea.jpg

The ground cherry is in the same family as tomatillos and similarly covered with a papery shell. Raw ground cherries are a bit tart.

IMG_5222_cr_smaller.jpg.91ed1d85969b55d06ad93ac840c5634a.jpg

My neighbour also brought over some grilled tuna with barbecue sauce which was very tasty (sorry no photo).

Edited by TdeV
Corrections (log)
  • Like 11
  • Delicious 2

1 hour ago, Duvel said:

Said mother prefers the rice a bit on the soupy side (no soccarat here, my friend, much to my dismay) …

Interesting; I've seen that actually called soupy rice, as opposed to being called paella.  And we do what we do to make others happy!!

• Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Shepherd's/Cottage Pie.  Mostly following this.  I think the long braise adds a lot.

Dinner05152023.jpg

First time I've touched my camera in months.

• Like 17
  • Delicious 5

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

8 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Shepherd's/Cottage Pie.  Mostly following this.  I think the long braise adds a lot.

Dinner05152023.jpg

First time I've touched my camera in months.

Glad you are back at it!

There are two imperfect peas though

• Haha 5

Fettuccine, eggs, cheese, local asparagus. This is quick to put together, my usual formula is 200g.fettuccine,2 eggs, 60 g. Parm/Pecorino plus a little more at service. Lovely asparagus from the Farmers Mkt. yesterday.  Followed by a romaine and radish salad.  The romaine came from the pots on our terrace, ultra local!

IMG_3667.jpeg

• Like 12
  • Delicious 3

Shrimp_tomato_cream_202305.thumb.jpg.c94902404d58488662c146e955a1fdd1.jpg

Shrimp sautéed with black mustard seeds, garlic, and curry leaves until partly cooked, and then simmered with a sauce of cream, tomato paste, garam masala, cumin, cayenne, diced jalapeno, cilantro, and lemon juice. A favorite.

Green rice with Poblano chilies, cilantro, spinach, white onion, garlic, and chicken broth, finished with peas.

Green chutney with cilantro, garlic, jalapeno, lime juice, and sugar.

Bit of a culture clash meal but everything comported nicely.

• Like 15
  • Delicious 4

Turkey and Bean Tamale Pie - with ground turkey, pinto beans, corn, tomatoes, baby spinach, cilantro, onion, garlic, jalapeño, chili powder and cumin. The corn bread was made from cornmeal, APF, baking powder, egg, milk, butter and honey. Finished with a dollop of mascarpone.

IMG_7493.thumb.jpeg.c4daa271627aeb717d7c21f55182cfac.jpeg

• Like 11
  • Delicious 1

Just a note.  They are staging our house for sale so the kitchen has been stripped to the bone and we have to keep it pristine at least until pictures and the first set of open houses.  So no cooking for a while!

• Like 1
  • Sad 7

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

17 minutes ago, mgaretz said:

Just a note.  They are staging our house for sale so the kitchen has been stripped to the bone and we have to keep it pristine at least until pictures and the first set of open houses.  So no cooking for a while!

Been there - hopefully with a good outcome :)

• Like 3

8 hours ago, mgaretz said:

Good luck!  Hope it sells fast so you can move on.

• Like 1