• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2023

liuzhou

On 5/19/2023 at 11:28 AM, BeeZee said:

I don't know if it is foolproof, but when I'm buying chicken breasts at the supermarket, I'm closely examining the package because those "wooden chicken" breasts are usually lighter in color. I'll select a package that has all pieces similarly colored and I do poke at it through the plastic to see if any of them feel different. So far it has worked for me, and I do think if one piece is overly large, best to steer clear.

So that's you, huh?!

My "secret" for good taste and texture on chicken breasts is to buy thighs.

The only chicken breasts I'll use for a dish are ones that I have butchered from whole, proper chickens. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

15 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

In later years, what I’ve read – not to mention what you showed a picture of – indicates that that is NOT proper Chow Mein. I’ve heard that the crisp noodles are: wrong; alternately that they are right, but shouldn’t be really crisp.  I’ve heard that flat egg noodles are right.  I’ve heard that the noodles should be stir-fried – NO!  they should be steamed.  What is correct?.

Chow mein is actually known in China as 炒面  (chǎo miàn) and literally means 'stir fried noodles'. However if you are using dried noodles they would be briefly boiled to reconstitute them before frying. Flat noodles are more common and crispy noodles are virtually unheard of. They are American.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Thanks 3

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

2 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Made myself a birthday dinner yesterday. Some of my favourites. Accompanied by rice, of course.

Not to mention a little bubbly of course. Congratulations on another birthday.  Looks like you are perhaps operating on more cylinders than you were!

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

1 minute ago, Anna N said:

Not to mention a little bubbly of course. Congratulations on another birthday.  Looks like you are perhaps operating on more cylinders than you were!

Thanks.  A few more but not the full set.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

So interesting that Kings Hawaiian bread has spread so far. Their original bakery is near me. We have a large Hawaiian Japanese population.  OT=R I am missreading the roll packaging?

14 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Made myself a birthday dinner yesterday. Some of my favourites. Accompanied by rice, of course.

soup.thumb.jpg.9a0e51c00675ab83964a30ab491ed0b1.jpg

Matsutake and Pumpkin Flowers in Chicken Broth

oysters2.thumb.jpg.70739da6d83896fb746820b7ca2ee08a.jpg

70thBirthdayPrawns.thumb.jpg.29ad7f249ec12f1de495eca829c82f6d.jpg

prosecco.thumb.jpg.87803921d70e6cc3ea59542dae17c3d4.jpg

Well, Happy Birthday! Everything looks really good. Oysters, yum! That soup looks very interesting--I bet it's delicious. Good for you for celebrating! Too many people in my life don't like celebrating birthdays
[edited for typo]

Edited by SusieQ (log)
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, heidih said:

So interesting that Kings Hawaiian bread has spread so far. Their original bakery is near me. We have a large Hawaiian Japanese population.  OT=R I am missreading the roll packaging?

I can attest that they'd gotten as far as Maine a decade ago, because my late (California-bred) wife was thrilled to get them. :)

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Yesterday was a dreary rainy windy day. Perfect for a cooking day.

I made Boudin Coquille St. Jacques (scallop sausage).

Ingredients: egg white (started a salted egg yolk as a side project), bay scallops, chives, heavy cream, salt and pepper.

DSCN0837.thumb.JPG.b8d7ac81266d92b901e64031f1260201.JPGDSCN0838.thumb.JPG.676454bcf79f0cb3226a7458c4627680.JPG

Stuffed into hog casing, tied into links, poached then chilled in ice water.

DSCN0842.thumb.JPG.102746aa38be59158c5fe7870c5928ff.JPGDSCN0841.thumb.JPG.a6d580811936739c95e63e88dc408861.JPG

Gently reheated and browned in butter. Served with a mustard sauce, new potatoes and green beans.

DSCN0845.thumb.JPG.b488a274fdb8d9f3f71e937a580246a4.JPG

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 6

'A drink to the livin', a toast to the dead' Gordon Lightfoot

4 hours ago, Anitha Kishore said:

This looks like prawn masala from South India where I'm living in. How's the taste and recipe?

I'm not very familiar with prawn masala from South India, but I'd assume it's a bit different as I believe that this is more Chinese influenced.  Recipe here.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, heidih said:

They sell those rolls here.  Yesterday I had to pop into a grocery store I do not normally visit and they had a small section of their products.    I did not look closely because I was quickly shopping from a list.

Saturday I made pan roasted pork chops with spinach and shiitake mushroom risotto.  Sister and I skipped the pork, while my niece and husband were thrilled with the large chunks of meat haha

porkchopwithrisotto.thumb.jpg.9be2fb3f5dff5dfdbd8d9c11abe78587.jpg

Sunday the meaty trend continued with grilled ribeye steaks topped with more mushrooms, plus local asparagus and mac and cheese.  Once again sister and I skipped the meat and niece and husband were thrilled.  The rest of this week's planned menu is fish or vegetarian.

steak.thumb.jpg.986e854a76a06c1c01cd9eac0e44fa36.jpg

Edited by liamsaunt (log)
  • Like 8
  • Delicious 6

13 hours ago, heidih said:

Yup. My people are not, beyond biscuits and cornbread, bread-bakers.

1 hour ago, Senior Sea Kayaker said:

Yesterday was a dreary rainy windy day. Perfect for a cooking day.

I made Boudin Coquille St. Jacques (scallop sausage).

Ingredients: egg white (started a salted egg yolk as a side project), bay scallops, chives, heavy cream, salt and pepper.

DSCN0837.thumb.JPG.b8d7ac81266d92b901e64031f1260201.JPGDSCN0838.thumb.JPG.676454bcf79f0cb3226a7458c4627680.JPG

Stuffed into hog casing, tied into links, poached then chilled in ice water.

DSCN0842.thumb.JPG.102746aa38be59158c5fe7870c5928ff.JPGDSCN0841.thumb.JPG.a6d580811936739c95e63e88dc408861.JPG

Gently reheated and browned in butter. Served with a mustard sauce, new potatoes and green beans.

DSCN0845.thumb.JPG.b488a274fdb8d9f3f71e937a580246a4.JPG

Now this is plumb fascinating. Is it a typical dish in your part of the world?

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

16 minutes ago, kayb said:

Yup. My people are not, beyond biscuits and cornbread, bread-bakers.

On the east coast of Canada scallops are so cheap and often folks know others who are fisherman and get them nearly free (if not completely!).

From what I gather from friends in NB and NS, scallops are plentiful and relatively affordable so they are often used in many ways us 'in-landers' would not typically consider.

Great prep and execution.  Bet they would work amazing with a citrusy gastrique. 

• Thanks 3

1 hour ago, kayb said:

The method is from Jacques Pepin's 'Complete Techniques' (pub. 2001). This time scallops other times mixed seafood or when dock prices drop lobster. Lots of options.

Edited to answer your question. 

It's not typical to make this dish. A much more common use would be scallops as part of a seafood chowder. Another use would be in a seafood pie (similar to a shepherd's pie but seafood in a white sauce topped with a potato crust).

Edited by Senior Sea Kayaker (log)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

'A drink to the livin', a toast to the dead' Gordon Lightfoot