• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast 2023

liuzhou

About as fancy as I get on a weekday. Avocado toast on Daves’s killer bread (the small version), with some leftover fresh tomatillo salsa, and an over easy egg.  A scattering of Penzey’s roasted Szechuan pepper and salt, which is one of my favorite lazy cheats. When I worked in an office I kept a jar on my desk.

IMG_0951.jpeg

Edited by NadyaDuke (log)
  • Like 8

27 minutes ago, C. sapidus said:

Spinach, cilantro,  feta, and egg with sautéed onion, chiles, ginger, garlic, and fish sauce

91BD19DF-5427-4047-B1CC-02FC105DC0D3.thumb.jpeg.73dd56f2cd045965bafe2245ac72d437.jpeg

Spring on a plate. Sounds delicious. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Last week my husband wanted to make cast iron pizza and he made enough dough for 5 of them. During the week we produced two cast iron pizzas and three small (quarter sheet size) focaccia. As he says, carbs are his love language! This morning I made avocado toast with some of the last focaccia, and two sunny side up eggs. The toast is topped with an herb salt blend we just discovered and also used on the focaccia. The eggs are topped with TJ’s red and green Hatch chiles because I made of my infrequent trips to Trader Joe’s yesterday and grabbed it along with all my other loot.

IMG_0492.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

IMG_2425.thumb.jpg.40d4c873ff4b85046a02ab6cb10e61b9.jpg

' fried ' egg , CSO'd TJ's  multi-grain ( from Fz ) waffle.

fried in a little butter , left alone in the pan on high to get a bit of crispy=ness

along the edge .

the CSO ( being small and sealed ) gets the waffle , from Fz , nice and crispy , 

but still w a moist center.

Im not a big fan of beurre noisette , and often it turnes into beurre burnt in a flash.

worked well enough here .

waffle nice change from bread // toasted bread 

@NadyaDuke   :  very nice crispy edge on those two eggs !

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 6

On 3/20/2023 at 3:53 PM, blue_dolphin said:

What are powerhouse eggs? Do they appear in the photo?

Just scrambled eggs with a splash of tamari and some nutritional yeast mixed in.  

• Thanks 1

Parsnip mash with smoked paprika chili oil, baby kale & pecans from Ruffage

EB6E626E-271F-478B-9520-50A47A6C8558_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.e66b3767dd8d8ff35d554d4cd2695d8b.jpeg

with a poached egg on top. 

I gotta say this was a pretty good combo of flavors.  The mash is flavored with onion, star anise and orange zest.  The greens were supposed to be arugula, uncooked and dressed with that chili oil but I think the cooked, more bitter greens might be better.  This would be great with seared scallops or roasted chicken thighs.  The egg was a bonus so I could call this vegetable side dish breakfast.  Also, yesterday's poached egg was overcooked so I had to reclaim my poached egg mojo 🙃

• Like 5
  • Delicious 4

6 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Parsnip mash

Thanks for the reminder that vegetables, mashed or pureed, make a fine base when you don't want/like grains. And I would give a great deal to reach your poached egg perfection. 

• Like 4

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

18 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Parsnip mash with smoked paprika chili oil, baby kale & pecans from Ruffage

EB6E626E-271F-478B-9520-50A47A6C8558_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.e66b3767dd8d8ff35d554d4cd2695d8b.jpeg

with a poached egg on top. 

I gotta say this was a pretty good combo of flavors.  The mash is flavored with onion, star anise and orange zest.  The greens were supposed to be arugula, uncooked and dressed with that chili oil but I think the cooked, more bitter greens might be better.  This would be great with seared scallops or roasted chicken thighs.  The egg was a bonus so I could call this vegetable side dish breakfast.  Also, yesterday's poached egg was overcooked so I had to reclaim my poached egg mojo 🙃

I continue to be amazed at your energy and appetite for breakfast! This looks excellent. No way would I want to face making it before, oh, 3 in the afternoon. 😅

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

20 hours ago, Anna N said:

Thanks for the reminder that vegetables, mashed or pureed, make a fine base when you don't want/like grains. And I would give a great deal to reach your poached egg perfection. 

Thanks!  Cauliflower mash is up next!

20 hours ago, Smithy said:

I continue to be amazed at your energy and appetite for breakfast! This looks excellent. No way would I want to face making it before, oh, 3 in the afternoon. 😅

I wake early and have more energy and ambition in the morning than the rest of the day so it's no effort for me.  And what I make is never particularly involved, unless it's compared with a bowl of cereal.  Breakfast and lunch (sometimes closer to brunch and linner) are my two main meals though I enjoy a cocktail and nibble in the evening.  That nibble could even be a small bowl of Grape Nuts 🙃

Pan-roasted cabbage tossed with mustard and apples with Toulouse-style sausage and cheddar from Ruffage

90675ACA-28E0-49EC-82E7-F539F7A03456_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.29c55fc6b4a2575d0e39a417d57c7bb7.jpeg

This was quite good.  The crumbly Cheddar that @Smithy showed us recently would have been great.  The Cabot extra sharp I had was too soft to curl.  Should have planned ahead and made it into frico chips.  

• Like 7
  • Delicious 1