• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast 2023

liuzhou

I had some excess ground pork after making up a batch of wonton filling so used it to make a few breakfast sausage patties (maple and herb).

Today's morning sandwich: egg, sausage, green onion, mushroom and aged cheddar. With an orange and blackberries.

DSCN0790.thumb.JPG.1687249b3c9b775a4a1f9f8e9139a94e.JPG

• Like 4
  • Delicious 1

'A drink to the livin', a toast to the dead' Gordon Lightfoot

For dinner the other night I made a riff on Ali Slagle’s recipe for Sweet Potatoes with Spinach and Feta (gift link). I had turnip and radish greens from my first farmers market trip of the year, and also some fresh (i.e. Mexican) chicken chorizo from a vendor there. So I swapped the greens for spinach, Cotija for Feta and served it topped with cooked chorizo as well as green onions and a dab of sour cream. The recipe is pretty brilliant as the jalapeño brine adds heat and acidity but doesn’t overwhelm and plays off the sweetness of the potatoes.

So that brings me to breakfast today. I sautéed a bit of the leftovers and topped with an over easy egg. Tasty and more photogenic than dinner would have been if I’d take a picture, I suspect.

IMG_0978.jpeg

• Like 7

Green_bean_tacos_202305.thumb.jpg.3178ebec457166da3743db9807152526.jpg

Green bean and sausage breakfast tacos, with onion, garlic, bird chiles, cumin, Mexican oregano, and feta cheese. Turned out particularly tasty.

I simmered the green beans in bone broth and fish sauce, removed the green beans when nearly done, and then concentrated the broth with the onions and sausage.

• Like 8

17 minutes ago, C. sapidus said:

Green_bean_sausage_202305.thumb.jpg.b0a3ac0949419d07e87a8ec1c994ceec.jpg

Green beans and chicken sausage, flavored with onion, garlic, ginger, fermented black beans, and three (!) bird chiles, cooked down in broth. Finished with Mexican oregano and a sprinkle feta cheese to tame the fire a bit.

Wondering if "Ancient Pug" would appreciate the chiles and green beans more in this preparation than au natural.

• Haha 1

eGullet member #80.

36 minutes ago, C. sapidus said:

Green_bean_sausage_202305.thumb.jpg.b0a3ac0949419d07e87a8ec1c994ceec.jpg

Green beans and chicken sausage, flavored with onion, garlic, ginger, fermented black beans, and three (!) bird chiles, cooked down in broth. Finished with Mexican oregano and a sprinkle feta cheese to tame the fire a bit.

That's a heckuva brekkie. Now I'm craving it for dinner!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

PastaMeshugana

"The roar of the greasepaint, the smell of the crowd."

"What's hunger got to do with anything?" - My Father

My first Novella: The Curse of Forgetting

@Ann_T

perfect looking pancakes

and i bet delicious to boot.

love the little nubbins , here and there 

a few drops of extra , tasty batter  ?

worth doing , as I recall.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

love the little nubbins , here and there 

a few drops of extra , tasty batter  ?

when I was a kid (Dad was the designated pancake maker), we called them "teenies" and they were cherished!

• Like 4

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

11 hours ago, Ann_T said:

PancakeswithMaplesyrupMay8th2023.thumb.jpg.f37c3219b50b7a097f0c4c332ad9eafb.jpg

Made Moe pancakes for breakfast. 

That is almost enough syrup for me. My wife and kids (monsters some times, I tell ya) will often eat pancakes without any syrup at all. Just powdered sugar.

I want my pancakes juicy and syrup squishing out when I stab it like water out of a shoe after you stepped in a puddle!

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

PastaMeshugana

"The roar of the greasepaint, the smell of the crowd."

"What's hunger got to do with anything?" - My Father

My first Novella: The Curse of Forgetting

2 hours ago, Ann_T said:

Sometimes breakfast is all about the toast.

If I had that bread, every meal would include toast!

Tuna salad in a toasted brioche bun with veg & pickles:

35681F63-6845-43AE-B6E2-A7A1FBEF1F90_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.d8378bec8c4fbb7805ed8375eccb4ecc.jpeg

Takes me back to when I was a kid.  Our school cafeteria called tuna salad in a hot dog bun a "tuna boat" and they were on the menu at least once a month. 

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 6
  • Delicious 2

A friend shared this recipe on her Facebook Group.
 Dennis Prescott's Garlic Chili Oil Noodles with Pork recipe. 
I had planned to make it last night for dinner, but got out of work late and didn't get home until almost 6:30.

GarlicChiliOilNoodleswithPorkDennisPrescottMay12th2023.thumb.jpg.a11d26ed172722b4b41aec2f1ea3fcfa.jpg
So I made it this morning for Moe's breakfast and I'm going to take it to work for lunch.
  • Like 10

An odd breakfast, even by my standards.  Lukas Volger's Peanut Butter and Greens Sandwich made with the Toasted Chili-Nut Butter Spread that I made from his book, Snacks for Dinner, using toasted ancho chilies and cashew butter. 

E5C84964-95D4-4BCF-8E50-01FA690D5F7C_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.c803a193db82793e78da0dbd2d482899.jpeg

The ancho-cashew spread is quite good, though I think the combo with a cooked green veg might be better with with broccoli and noodles rather than sautéed greens and bread but sometimes ya just gotta try it to see!

• Like 4
  • Delicious 1

Saturday breakfast:

Potato, dandelion green, chive and brie omelet. WW English muffin with apricot jam (only Bonne Maman will do).

PotatoDandelionandBrieOmelet.thumb.JPG.49088abd6cc9da0e95d96840649ccbf8.jpeg

A few minutes picking. The greens are very tender when this young.

Dandelion Greens.JPG

A breakfast from sometime last week.

Breakfast sandwich on naan with an egg scrambled with green onions and about a quarter scotch bonnet, peameal bacon and mushrooms with blueberries and apples.

EggPeamealMushroomGreenOnionandCheddaronNaan.thumb.JPG.025b582961f391868688cc2af6932d89.JPG

Edited by Smithy
Restored first image with poster's permission (log)
  • Like 4

'A drink to the livin', a toast to the dead' Gordon Lightfoot

5 hours ago, Senior Sea Kayaker said:

Saturday breakfast:

Potato, dandelion green, chive and brie omelet. WW English muffin with apricot jam (only Bonne Maman will do).

PotatoDandelionandBrieOmelet.thumb.JPG.e9fad895f628531060b76181b1bf5135.JPG

A few minutes picking. The greens are very tender when this young.

Dandelion Greens.JPG

A breakfast from sometime last week.

Breakfast sandwich on naan with an egg scrambled with green onions and about a quarter scotch bonnet, peameal bacon and mushrooms with blueberries and apples.

EggPeamealMushroomGreenOnionandCheddaronNaan.thumb.JPG.025b582961f391868688cc2af6932d89.JPG

Love the free u-pick early morning dandelioms! Also enjoy those apricot preserves. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, blue_dolphin said:

Eric Kim's Gochujang Buttered Noodles are becoming habit-forming.  

I had these for breakfast yesterday and again today!

I always love to see how you include vegetables in your dishes. Provides inspiration to me. I can't do fruit in the morning - leads to all day nibbling and sugar craving - but veggies work. 

• Like 1