• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast 2023

liuzhou

7 hours ago, SusieQ said:

What are "fold-overs"? 

I think it is the filling on a single slice of bread, then folded in half. Reduces the smooshing out of filling.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/2/2023 at 1:30 PM, Anna N said:

I am sure that @Shelbyis scrolling quickly past the photograph of your breakfast but I am just loving the look of those blistered tomato skins. 

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEKKKKKKKKKKKKK

ican'tlook

ican'tlook

ican'tlook

• Haha 6

32 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Toast topped with soft boiled eggs, sage aioli and fried sage from a recipe in Renee Erickson's Getaway

CBCAE058-60DB-486F-B95F-9965127DDE8E_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.78fa18330086c19030a571c184ca59e4.jpeg

The toast isn't in the book recipe, but for heavens sake, how else you gonna eat those eggs?

Beautiful. Do you have a trick for peeling soft boiled eggs?

33 minutes ago, heidih said:

Beautiful. Do you have a trick for peeling soft boiled eggs?

Thanks!  It can be rather like peeling water balloons but these are 6.5 min eggs (out of the fridge, direct into boiling water) so they are not usually too bad.  Out of the pan, into ice water, chill a few min, tap gently on the counter to crack all over and peel carefully. 

• Like 3

I'm not big on leftovers and there was leftover tomahawk steak from last night's dinner. 

So I repurposed it this morning in the Breville PC with onions and beef broth turning it into a pot roast.
I often do this with leftover rare roasts.
GrilledTomahawkSteakrepurposedJune8th2023.thumb.jpg.ad4eab63fceccf2f2bec7689e02ef8e5.jpg
Made Moe a sandwich on baguette for breakfast.
  • Like 7
  • Delicious 2

Breakfast this morning. After a busy week a day to have a leisurely breakfast, do a bit of gardening, have an afternoon nap then attend a birthday get-together this evening.

Baked tomato stuffed with mushrooms, mixed greens and feta, blood sausage, soft herbed scrambled eggs, rye toast, blueberries and V-8.

StuffedTomatoHerbScrtambledEggsBloodSausage.thumb.JPG.c851489de54a347a67230df7ed8f13f3.JPG

• Like 7
  • Delicious 1

'A drink to the livin', a toast to the dead' Gordon Lightfoot

A few days ago I did my favorite method for a breakfast sandwich – a grilled bacon, egg, and cheese. Cheese and bacon:

1-IMG_3616.thumb.jpg.2a322935558add3de1283a63e74697af.jpg

Egg:

1-IMG_3617.thumb.jpg.05969c806f691e140459872775995ec6.jpg

All nicely grilled w/ watermelon:

1-IMG_3618.jpg.dd5998cba65b55dc04a6634c99cc3dd6.jpg

A few days ago:

1-IMG_3651.thumb.jpg.7a6a55dd0b39690f78c136a77ed50645.jpg

Another one:

1-IMG_3662.jpg.ef201654ca15319c6f3748952c752065.jpg

That was a perfect egg. I wish I’d had a soft roll to mop up all the yolk with. 

• Like 9
  • Delicious 1

On Thursday Jessica and I went up to NOVA to do a few of the things we’d missed out on when we went up for her birthday celebration.  We ran out of time then and this time, we missed out on some things because of the horrible air quality due to all the fires in Canada.  Instead of wandering around outside, we stayed inside and masked up when we had to be out.  We ate a lot and stopped at every thrift store we could find!  Brunch was at Tyson’s Bagel Market – a funny little place that, like so much of the DC area, is awash with diversity.  Kosher meats, non-kosher deli sandwiches, bulgogi, salsa cream cheese, not to mention TEN KINDS of bottled water.  We stumbled upon it when we were staying nearby one time and what a lucky find.  The bagels are beautiful and the cream cheeses (the ones we’ve tried so far) are so good.  This time we shared a couple – ET with scallion cream cheese:

1-IMG_3683.jpg.7dbbd1c1fdb6d0a9b829c98e5f3ac371.jpg

And this incredible thing:

1-IMG_3684.jpg.53dccb31bd2cc56ebde9881fe363669e.jpg

Bulgogi on an ET bagel with lettuce, tomato, onion, and an incredibly sharp/sweet drippy dressing!  We agreed that, as much as we want to try other things, we’d probably always order one of these when we come. 

A beautiful croissant from our trip up north:

1-IMG_3744.jpg.ffb66eee64db7cad79e36e90b08a78b4.jpg

It was delicious:

1-IMG_3745.jpg.67d4511139c1802e49f03b98c577d238.jpg

On Saturday I made some pimento cheese sausage balls to take to the church ladies breakfast meeting:

1-IMG_3775.jpg.da55d184556daac4c98e057d3cdcde2e.jpg

• Like 4
  • Delicious 3

I've never really cared all that much for Chicken Cacciatore.
But I found this recipe for Chicken Cacciatore in Mattie Matheson's A Cookbook that I thought looked good and was slightly different.
I had intended to make it yesterday and didn't so made it this morning for a late breakfast.
ChickenCacciatoreMattieMathesonJune13th2023.thumb.jpg.a4f9fdfaf236bdc87d5d10e2509bccaa.jpg

Moe declared it a "great breakfast".
  • Like 9
  • Delicious 1

58 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@Senior Sea Kayaker 

interesting distribution w the herbs.

did you put the herbs in the pan first , then the eggs ?

i.e. :  no herbs in // on the yolks.

I separate the yolks from the whites, combine the whites with the herbs and seasoning then pour the whites into the pan then position the yolks and then finish as you would for sunny side eggs.

• Like 2
  • Delicious 1

@Senior Sea Kayaker – your eggs are so pretty!  More than 10 years ago @Ashen recommended that method of making “sunny side up” eggs, but I’d never thought to incorporate anything into the whites!  Great idea. 

@blue_dolphin - your beans and tots look so good.  Mr. Kim was going through the refrigerator last night and tossed some elderly and questionable baked beans.  He asked why we always had leftover baked beans lately.  It’s because I’m having to eat low potassium and can’t have beans on toast for breakfast anymore.  I make the beans for Jessica and Mr. Kim.  He doesn’t like beans on toast and Jessica doesn’t eat breakfast!  So, I’m enjoying yours vicariously! 😄

Yesterday:

1-IMG_3780.thumb.jpg.ee5fc25ce5591656265e0191801f0c4a.jpg

Pimento cheese sausage balls, fried egg

• Like 3
  • Delicious 1

A side note on the scent of all day breakfast diners. Yup that is what the house smelled like yesterday Stepmother got an odd rrrecipe from a friend. Chicken breasts.Dijon mistard, maple syrup and tapioca . 3!!! hours in the crockpot. She substituted some syrup so lacking in true maple they did not call it imitation - rather "BUTTERED pancake syrup" , It also had a burnt smell cuz she left it too long. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

5 hours ago, Senior Sea Kayaker said:

I separate the yolks from the whites, combine the whites with the herbs and seasoning then pour the whites into the pan then position the yolks and then finish as you would for sunny side eggs.

When making eggs for the grandkids, I'll often follow the same basic procedure but add a food coloring of their choice to the whites. The original point of departure for this was, unsurprisingly, Green Eggs and Ham. It's a fun little thing to do. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

7 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@Kim Shook

I know your Pimento cheese sausage balls 

have appeared before .

how do you make them ?

I do remember remember Pimemto Cheese

from some time ago , and in various incarnations.

thank you

Here you go.  They are incredibly easy.  The recipe makes a lot, but I just store the excess in a bag in the freezer and take out what I need.  Ten minutes in the CSO and they are toasty!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

15 hours ago, chromedome said:

When making eggs for the grandkids, I'll often follow the same basic procedure but add a food coloring of their choice to the whites. The original point of departure for this was, unsurprisingly, Green Eggs and Ham. It's a fun little thing to do. 

Halloween aka black eggs and sausage: same technique incorporating duxelles into the whites and serve with blood sausage.

16 hours ago, heidih said:

A side note on the scent of all day breakfast diners. Yup that is what the house smelled like yesterday Stepmother got an odd rrrecipe from a friend. Chicken breasts.Dijon mistard, maple syrup and tapioca . 3!!! hours in the crockpot. She substituted some syrup so lacking in true maple they did not call it imitation - rather "BUTTERED pancake syrup" , It also had a burnt smell cuz she left it too long. 

That just sounds vile.

• Like 1